Jackascii’s 2023 Anachronistic Head-Canon Holiday Special

Jackascii’s 2023 Anachronistic Head-Canon Holiday Special

CHAPTER I - UNEXPECTED SHORE LEAVE

Lieutenant Ansha Bast Wind-People walked past the line of her crewmates onboard the USS Dragon, who were waiting to disembark for their holiday shore leave. The Starfleet space ship, normally a buzz with the activities of defending Federation space or the ongoing exploration of the final frontier, was now a hive of holiday merriment.

Ansha was much shorter than the rest of her crew, even some of the Tellerite members. This was by choice as she could have chosen a taller skeletal frame for her fungal colony mass to cling to, but the diminutive Lieutenant chose to remain short for practical reasons. Easier to get in and out of spaces, and easier to find cover.

Her species, the Wind People, are sentient fungal colonies with a driving desire to experience new things. To this point the 5’ 2”, green, woman that Ansha had formed into emulating those who raised her with the exception of her skin color, had far surpassed her people in living experiences. Now she was an officer of Starfleet and proudly so. She was the only Wind People serving in Starfleet, the first of her kind to leave her species home planet albeit without choice, and she by far the most successful.

“Hey, Lieutenant Wind-People, “ a familiar voice called out. It was the ship’s relatively new Chief of Operations, Lieutenant Commander Vonn Reese. “Ansha,” he said when she turned around and looked at him with her synthetic brown eyes that acted as focusing lenses.

“Lieutenant Commander, I thought you had left already?” she said with a pleasant smile in an accent that demonstrated her Punjab upbringing among humans. She backtracked to the 6’ 2”, blonde, all-American, jock that was Vonn Reese and stopped.

“Nah, got caught in a little paperwork shuffle,” he said begrudgingly. “New parts were wrong. I had to get that fixed.”

“Anything I need to handle while you are on shore leave, Lieutenant Commander?” she asked.

“Nah, Ell Tee, I got it straightened out,” he replied. “Thanks anyway. By the way, why aren’t you going on shore leave?”

“Oh, because I am waiting for Holla Mohalla then I’ll take leave,” Ansha replied. Vonn nodded even though he had a vague idea what she was referring to. He knew she preferred to celebrate Sikh festivals with her adopted family from the Indian Subcontinent, so the Indiana born Westerner had heard Ansha make cultural references from that region and religion.

Ansha wasn’t particularly religious in any way, but she seemed to enjoy her life with her Earth family, and they in turn treated her as if she was one of their own. When festival food was prepared, her Earth mother as Ansha referred to her, Veema Singh, would fix her something special that she could digest so she would not be left out.

“Ok,” Vonn replied. “Isn’t that the one where you fight everybody?”

She laughed, “Well… kind of… it is the Sikh festival in which we demonstrate martial arts… there’s mock battles, sparring, dancing of course…”

“That sounds fun… except for the dancing, “ a klingon crew member said waiting in line.

“Oh you do not have to dance, Ensign Qo’Bak, but you would love it,” she replied and focused back to Vonn, “Anyway I have a score to settle with my older sister.” she made a stern face as she nodded.

“Alright then. Get some,” Vonn replied laughing. His face changed expression. “Well, look, Ansha, why don’t you come over to our apartment on the station on Christmas Eve. We’re staying home this year, and when Heidi hears you are staying here on the ship she is going to want… no… demand you come by for dinner, and I know the kids would love to see you again.”

She smiled. “I could do that. I am not on the duty schedule for that day.”

Vonn smiled as well. “Good, then it’s settled, at least get off this stuffy ship and come have some Christmas Cheer with us.”

“Alright then,” she said. “Thank you.” she held up her PADD and then shifted the conversation, “Now, I do have work to get back to. I need to beam over to starbase supply”

“Eh… Alright, well, good luck with that.”

“Thanks, Vonn,” she said. “Enjoy your break, I will see you on Christmas Eve.”

With that she continued her walk to the transporters. Being that she was still on watch, she had an excuse to skip the line and head to the platform. She showed her PADD to the security officer on watch who directed Ansha to the transporter platform, where she obligingly stepped up onto one of the transporter panels. She felt the familiar tingling sensation as she was broken down at the sub-atomic level. As she faded she heard the dreaded phrase no one wants to hear during an operation such as this, “Wait a minute… what the hell!”

1 Like

CHAPTER II - A LONG STRANGE TRIP

When she materialized she was not on the Starbase. She was not anywhere familiar. She was standing in a hilly forest of spruce trees in the snow. In front of her young human girl, roughly 12 years of age, blonde haired, blue-eyed, and dressed in a Nordic looking apron dress, stood slack-jawed. The girl was roughly the same height as Ansha but built a bit chunkier. She was holding a stone in one hand. With her empty hand she pulled a dagger from a sheath on her belt.

“NYAH!” the human girl exclaimed, shaking her head in distress. “Dat tikka mit talle göta!”

Ansha dropped her PADD and put her hands up. “I… I am not going to harm you! Please, just lower your dagger.”

“Müdher vendel meh dinerbitten!” the girl seemed to say to herself. Ansha moved a bit which resulted in the girl waving the knife menacingly at Ansha and said, “Bachten, gobbolina!”

Ansha assumed this meant back up, which she did with her hands up.

Ansha tapped her chest emblem communicator. “USS Dragon, this is LT Wind-People, Do read me, Dragon? Yu ess ess Dragon, do you copy?” there was no answer which earned a breathy “Crap” from Ansha.

“Drakkon?” the young girl asked.

“Yes,” Ansha replied, trying to go with this linguistic connection. “Uhm… dragon… “ she then backed up a bit and remembered the Prime Directive. “Oh… this is not good, this is not good at all.”

The young girl suddenly looked sideways and shrieked as a saber tooth tiger that had slowly approached during the distracted moments made a pounce at her. With equally fast reflexes, Ansha sprang forward to push the girl from the tiger’s claws catching a swiped from behind that shredded Ansha’s Starfleet uniform.

Without a weapon Ansha knew she was in trouble. Her best hope was to distract the carnivore, hoping that it would attack her instead of the human girl, giving the latter time to run, then if she could weather the attack, the big cat would eventually leave and find something tastier to eat. Ansha’s unique physiology would allow her to live through it.

“RUN!” Ansha screamed at the girl as the tiger mauled her.

The girl however did not, instead charging the beast and plunging her dagger into its side. She knew where to hit. The tiger growled loudly and ran off howling.

Ansha was a mess but most of her flesh was protected by the undersuit she normally wore to keep her temperature and moisture levels stable.

Ansha stood up, with the young girl helping her. Instead of fear, the young girl looked at Ansha with concern.

“Communicator, analyze and translate,” Ansha said, after tapping her chest emblem.

“Kah dhennacht mul…but you suffered little,” the young girl said as the translation started. “You must have powerful magic. Are you a goblin shaman?”

“Good, now I can understand you, I think,” Ansha said in relief.

“You can,” the girl replied in astonishment, “and I can understand you, Goblin.”

“Uhm, I am not a goblin.”

“You are short and green,” the girl replied.

“Well, yeah… I am, but I… it is a very long story,” Ansha said. There was another growl in the distance.

“Come with me,” the girl said. “The saber tooths are stirred up and very hungry right now.”

“Saber… tooths?” Ansha asked, “As in saber tooth tigers?”

“Yes,” the girl said as though this stranger should know this. “Now we need to go.”

“Where?”

“Why… home? duh,” the girl said again as though the stranger should know this as well.

“Well alright then,” Ansha replied while picking up the remains of her smashed PADD. The girl began walking and Ansha followed.

“My name is Ansha Wind-People,” Ansha said.

“I am Meekka, daughter of Heddan and Helga of Clan Svineherdesen,” the young girl replied.

“So, uhm… where am I?” Ansha asked.

“Just outside Nimalten,” Meekka replied

“Oh,” Ansha said. “And so where might that be?”

“Heh,” the young girl chuffed, “It is a town not many in Tamriel have heard of. You are in Eastern Skyrim.” This didn’t satisfy Ansha’s curiosity anymore than saying Nimalten.

The girl’s home wasn’t too far away. It was a walled compound surrounded by a large pig farm, creatures that Ansha was familiar with. Ansha wondered if she had gone back in time and was on Earth at an earlier age. Saber tooth tigers, however, would have been extinct by the time Norse culture had flourished to woven fabric and metal weapons, so none of this was making sense.

Around her Ansha saw farm hands tending to the pigs, some human, and some that had tails yet were bipedal. Some of these looked like Caitian, with similar cat-like features. Some were more reptilian in appearance.

As Meekka and Ansha walked by the farm hands would stop and stare at the pair silently.

Meekka stopped before the larger oak doors to the walled compound and asked “Are you sure you’re not a goblin?”

“Positive,” Ansha replied. “Why?”

“My papa hates goblins. If he sees you then he will most likely want to kill you if he thinks you are a goblin.”

This gave Ansha a moment to pause.

“Look, I don’t want to cause trouble,” Ansha started. “I can just…”

The roar of a saber tooth tiger could be heard in the distance. Ansha changed tack.

“I am sure we can convince him that I am not a goblin,” Ansha said, nodding to the door. She would at least have a better chance at talking reason with whoever Meekka’s father is, at least she hoped. What she was going to say she was and where she was from would be problematic. At this point the situation was well beyond any Prime Directive guidance she had been taught but Ansha had little choice. She would have to go with it and be as vague about herself and where she was from as possible.

1 Like

CHAPTER III - MEETING THE FAMILY

Meekka opened the door, which swung easily on hinges as if counterweighted. Beyond that threshold there was a courtyard where familiar farm animals were milling about as well as an adult human. Facing the wall door was a large stone work, two story house.

The human, a burly, bearded, red-headed male, in his early thirties, rose up from shoeing a horse and with a hammer in hand approached Meekka and Ansha. His eyes were angrily set on the latter who again held her hands up in a futile demonstration of being unarmed.

“PAPA! NO!” Meekka screamed.

“Why have you brought this goblin home with you, Meekka!?” he asked.

“Sir… sir… please, I am NOT a goblin!” Ansha said immediately.

“She isn’t, papa!” Meekka said. “She pushed me out of the way of a saber tooth!”

The man stopped to consider the words spoken. “She is green and short. If she ain’t a goblin, what is she?”

“Uhm…” Meekka struggled to answer then turned to Ansha.

“I am…” Ansha also struggled as the Prime Directive was a line she didn’t want to cross. She had little choice though. “I am… a… Wind People… sir”

“A what?” the man said.

“I am a Wind People…fungal… colony. See I am actually a fungal colony. A sentient fungal colony.”

“A fungal colony?” the man replied in disbelief.

“Yes, sir,” Ansha replied. “I… uhm… come in peace…though I am not exactly sure how I got here or why.”

“To steal pigs?” the man asked in an accusatory tone.

“Oh no, no sir,” Ansha exclaimed. “I…I…. I do not eat meat.”

“What is going on out here?” an alto female voice called out from the front door of the house. A very tall, and very large woman with black hair and blue eyes, wearing a long dress and apron like Meekka’s outfit walked into the courtyard. She was holding an unsheathed, greatsword in one hand and the sheath in the other. “Meeka, what are you doing with a goblin?”

“I am not a goblin,” Ansha said fearfully.

“She isn’t a goblin,” Meeka said, now shielding Ansha from her family. “Aunt Leelo, she’s not from here!”

“Leskka,” the man said, “she says she is some kind of fungal colony. I ain’t ever heard of no fungal colony that can walk and talk.”

The large woman, who towered over all present at 6’ 9”, looked for a second with head tilt. She then sheathed the greatsword and handed it to the Meekka’s father. She approached Ansha, who looked up at the giant woman, not sure what to do.

The woman looked at Ansha carefully while gently but firmly pushing Meekka out of the way. Leskka then knelt before Ansha and sniffed a couple of times. She then stood back up and turned to the man.

“She’s either been rolling in moss or she is telling the truth,” Leskka replied. “She smells like morels… and some kind of perfume… rose, jasmine… lemongrass? sniff… ya, there’s definitely a citrus note.”

“It is Enchantment by Estee Lauder” Ansha said carefully. “I have been told the scent suits me.”

Leskka stood back up and nodded with a warm smile. “It does. Plays off your loamy smell very well.” Ansha was too relieved to take any offense at being referred to as loamy. The giant woman seemed nice afterall and at least the smell wasn’t referred to as “gobliny”.

“Well,” the man inquired,”is it a goblin or not, Leskka?” Leskka examined some of Ansha’s superficial wounds from the tiger’s mauling, and with an incantation and a warm glowing hand healed them. Ansha was astonished at this demonstration of restoration magic. Even more surprising is that this healing ability worked on Ansha who has never had much luck being healed by anything but time and warm nutrient baths.

Leskka turned to the man and said, “Heddan, calm down. She’s not a goblin.” Leskka turned her attention to Meekka and asked, “Meekka, where did she come from?”, as though she already knew the answer but was looking for a confession.

Meekka looked at the ground. She seemed to harbor some sense of guilt from the looks of it.

“Meekka?” Leskka asked again of the penitent young human.

“Why is there a goblin in our courtyard?” another female voice called out from the house.

“She’s not a goblin, mama!” Meekka said, raising her head to address the woman.

“She isn’t a goblin, Helga,” Leskka concurred.

“Totally not a goblin,” Ansha replied, now quite shaken at how what little control she had was deteriorating with every new person coming from the house.

“Apparently,” Heddan added, still holding a hammer and Leskka’s sword and looking somewhat disappointed in not being able to kill a goblin.

This new woman, Helga, of average human height and size, with brown hair and brown eyes came to the group’s location in the courtyard now curious with this non-goblinoid stranger on their doorstep.

“Alright,” Helga said, crossing her arms, “what is she and what is she doing here?”

“I wish I knew,” Ansha said.

“She pushed me out of the way of a saber tooth’s pounce, mama!” Meekka said.

“Oh?” Helga replied. “Well she does look like she got the worst of that from her clothes.” Helga continued forward to have a closer look at Ansha. “Strange looking clothing at that.”

“Looks like some kind of uniform or something,” Leskka said.

“Says she’s some kind of walking talking fungal colony, if you can believe that,” Heddan said.

“Oh?” Helga said. Helga then looked at Ansha, “So, where are you from?”

“I…I… uhm,”Ansha stammered as she internally cursed her species’ inability to lie. “I am from… a place called…The Grove of the Sweet Wood.”

“I see,” Helga replied. “And where is that?”

“Uhm… well…” Ansha had no idea how to explain this in a way that wouldn’t violate the Prime Directive. “I am really not sure how to explain it, to be honest.”

“Try me,” Helga said in a voice that was obviously developed to compel children to give her honest answers.

“Uhm… you see, it’s a…” Ansha began to speak only to be interrupted again, this time by another female voice, alto again, but still from the house that seemed to hold an unlimited number of curious people.

“Hey, did you catch a goblin stealing pigs again?” the tall, large woman at the door called out. She was similar in build to the Leskka, but blonde, and holding a very young girl in her arms. “Why haven’t you killed it yet?”

“She’s not a Goblin, Jess,” Leskka answered back.

“Or so we’ve been told,” the skeptical Heddan replied.

“She’s not Goblin, Aunt Jess!” Meeka added.

“She’s too clean,” Helga confirmed. “Doesn’t smell like troll shit. Hmm… citrus notes.”

“I definitely try to avoid smelling like troll shit,” Ansha confessed to Helga.

“Alright then, what is she?” Jeskka asked, not walking towards the group still holding the toddler.

“I am a…” Ansha began only to be interrupted by Leskka.

“Mushroom Person,” Leskka said.

“Well, Wind People,” Ansha corrected.

“Mushroom People would be more accurate,” Helga said, smiling at Ansha. “That is if you are a fungus.”

“Well yeah, but…,” Ansha said trying to explain.

“Maybe she arrived here on the wind,” Heddan suggested. “You know, ‘cuz she is a Wind person.”

“Like what? Like she’s a sailor on a ship?” Jeskka asked.

“Might explain the weird clothing,” Helga said.

The family continued to discuss while Meekka turned to Ansha and said, “I’m sorry, Ansha. I think it was my fault you ended up here.”

“Well, being at your house is better than being mauled by a saber tooth tiger,” Ansha replied. “I think we are making inroads with your family.”

“No, I mean,” Meekka paused and looked down. She took the stone she was holding earlier from a belt pouch and showed it to Ansha. “The reason why you appeared here… in Nimalten… in Skyrim.” The stone was a smooth, flat, oval river stone, about 2 inches in diameter at its widest point. It was unremarkable save the runic script that was inscribed on it.

Suddenly there was a flash of light, a portal opened up in the courtyard, and from it stepped yet another woman. She spoke with authority, nothing like the rest, with an accent that was posh and elegant as she addressed the collective family members present. All other conversation ceased.

“Ah, I see a young Nordess has been fiddling with your Aunt Leskka’s portal stones again, haven’t you, Meekka.”

This woman was attired in a fine floor length dress that hid her feet, and wearing a robe with a hood. She seemed frail and slender compared to the rest of the crew surrounding Ansha. She walked with grace and determination that was almost unnerving as she seemed to float on air, but her voice was pleasant and soothing. She was also considerably shorter than the rest, only being a few inches taller than Ansha. As she walked forward and pulled back her hood. She was pale gray, with long white hair, red eyes, a long slender face, and pointed ears.

Ansha was unsure what species this woman was, but at least she was not springing to judgements.

“She’s not goblin, Lady Babs,” Heddan said proactively.

“I’m aware of that, Heddan. Thank you,” the woman said. She looked at Ansha and asked, “What is your name, sera?”

“Ansha Wind-People, ma’am” Ansha replied. It was a relief to finally talk to someone who wasn’t accusing her right off of being a goblin.

“I am Lady Babshooka Uthas, Dame of the Court of His Highness, King Casimer,‘’ the woman said. “You can call me Babs, though.” The woman smiled cheekily. “Now, from what realm do you hail, outworlder?”

Ansha didn’t know how to answer this question. “Realm?” she asked. Should she say Milky Way Galaxy? Would it be the Prime Universe? Her confusion was visible.

“No matter, it is obvious that your people aren’t used to traveling through realms,” Babs said. “It might be a challenge to get you back.”

“Ya, I was starting to think the same thing, Babs,” Leskka said.

“Me too,” Heddan added as though he had the brains or ability to do such.

Leskka thought for a moment, “We will have to go to my lab, and it would take a few days to set things up, but I think we can analyze the stone to determine where the portal had started and that will give us a return destination.”

Babs nodded to Leskka and said, “I think between the two of us, perhaps with your cousin Yyta’s help, we can produce enough power to get her back.”

“Teleportation is tricky,” Leskka said to Ansha.

“Damn straight it is,” Ansha agreed, taking stock of her current situation.

Babs then turned her focus to Meekka. “Now, Meekka,” Babs said to the young girl who became visibly nervous. “As the saying goes, confession is good for the soul.”

Meekka held up the portal stone and said “It was my fault. I… I was trying to use the stone to go to my friend Una’s house, so I wouldn’t have to deal with the saber tooth tigers. I think I did the spell wrong, Lady Babs.”

“You think?” Babs said to Meekka while looking at Ansha. She then turned back to Meekka. “You see what messing with magic and enchantments can do when you aren’t trained? You are fortunate you didn’t die… or worse… end up in Cyrodiil.”

“But, I watched you and Aunt Leelo so many times, I thought I…” Meekka resigned herself to this indictment and looked at Ansha. “I’m so sorry.”

“It will be fine, Meekka,” Ansha replied smiling. “It is a sublime experience being here as my people say… as long as I am not being mauled or killed.”

Ansha looked at everyone, and said, “Look, I do not want to be a bother. If you can just point to an inn or hotel or… “

“OH NO!” Helga said. “I will not have an outworlder guest of mine that my daughter accidentally conjured going to that… grimy, nasty, tavern in town. It is full of drunken lay-abouts, skooma dealers, skeeving horkers…”

“Skeeving what?” Ansha asked, with Helga not stopping her rant to answer.

“Horkers,” Jeskka answered.

“Oh,” Ansha said, as though she knew there was probably more to this than she was brave enough to ask.

“…curved swords,” Helga said, still ranting, “… curved… swords, Daedra worshippers, elves…” Helga paused and looked at Babs. “No offense, my lady,” she said to Babs.

“None taken,” Babs replied, who seemed to be used to it.

Helga continued, “…guards with persistent knee injuries talking about their glory days, former emperors, and those… people from Riften. Eegh… Oh no no no, Ansha, you will stay with us until we can get this straightened out. It is afterall New Life Festival and since it’s my daughter’s fault you are here it’s only right that we should give you a place to feel warm and safe.”

Heddan, still holding Leskka’s greatsword and his hammer, said, “Hope you like pork.”

Ansha frowned and nervously said, “I can not eat meat.”

Audible gasps could be heard as though Ansha, now standing before the main house of a pig farm that is owned by a clan whose very name of “Svineherdesen”, which in the ancient tongue basically means “pig herder”, has just committed a major cultural affront.

“You can’t?” Helga confirmed.

“There goes Helga’s reason for living, to fatten up all who cross her path,” said Jeskka, which earned the stink eye from Helga and a snicker from Heddan.

“No ma’am, I can not,” Ansha said. “I am very sorry. Seriously, I will be fine if you just tell me how to get to…”

“Well, dear, what do you eat,” Helga asked Ansha without malice, which was a relief to the Starfleet lieutenant who was very much out of her element.

“Uhm… oatmeal, sometimes cheese,” Ansha replied. “Not often, Causes constipation if I eat too much. Uhm… and wood…mostly wood, like hard wood. Rotten wood is a delicacy. Not like cedar or pine, they cause me to have the trots, but like maple, ash, oak, you know…hearty… more fiber.”

“Wood,” Helga replied, seeming satisfied by this answer. “Hmm.”

“Makes sense,” Leskka said. “She is a fungal colony.” she knelt down, smiling and looked at Ansha, “That is so interesting. Tell me, Ansha, do you like cow dung?”

Ansha offered a nervous smile to the large face that excitedly stared at her. “uh… yeah… I can eat that, but not pig or chicken poop…just herbivorel… poop.”

“Well, we’ve got plenty of bullshit around here,” Jeskka remarked.

Leskka continued her inquisition into Ansha’s dietary habits. “What about bread?”

“Yes,” Ansha replied. “Can eat bread.”

“Paydirt!” Leskka exclaimed as she stood back up.

“Then we have that solved,” Helga said. “Heddan, go to the lumbermill and ask them for some hardwood sawdust. I imagine they would be more than happy to give it to you. AND whatever you do, Heddan, do not tell them we have a visitor from another realm again.”

“Again?” Ansha asked, trying to confirm this was a regular occurrence to which Jeskka nodded and looked at Leskka who shrugged.

Helga continued, “ Just say it’s… it’s…”

“… for your sister,” Leskka blurted out. “Tell them I need it for alchemical components.” This gained approval from Helga, as she knows that when Leskka is used as an excuse for anything unusual, questions are not asked.

Heddan, still holding the sword and the hammer, looked upset at this further interruption from his chores. He handed Leskka back her sword and relented to the woman of the house, his wife, Helga. He stomped off, grumbling to the barn to get a horse ready for travel.

“I’ll go out in the woods and see if I can find some decaying logs for you, Ansha,” Jeskka said, “and maybe bag one of those cats.” she turns to the child in her arms. “‘cuz we need a need a new rug, don’t we wuvey pumpkins.” The young girl, Jacqueline, giggled. “You just wuv hunting with mommy don’t you?”

This prompted Ansha to wonder if Jeskka was going to bring the young child, whom she assumed was Jeskka’s daughter, into the woods, teaming with saber tooth tigers to collect wood and perhaps even hunt one of the dangerous predators with the same casual attitude of going to a park playground.

Helga approached Ansha and knelt before her. “Ansha, I am sorry you got pulled here, but, it is as I said, New Life Festival, and I don’t know what kind of festival seasons you and your kind celebrate, but it is only meet and right that we should welcome you into our home. I believe things happen for reasons, and even though my daughter is still going to have to do extra chores,” she looked at Meekka who did not make eye contact then back to Ansha, “I believe that the Divines sent you here for a reason, so that we may share our warm hearth with you and Mara, the Goddess of hearth and home, may be praised.”

“Well,” Ansha said, with a smile starting across her face, “Thank you, I am sure it will be a good experience.”

“Now,” Helga said, turning to her daughter, Meekka, “Take our guest with you and see if some of your dresses will fit her for now.” Helga then turned back to Ansha, “Those cats made a mess of your outfit.”

Just then another female voice, much higher pitched, from the road leading to the still open gate, called out. It was Yyta Kjensen, known colloquially as Piglet to the rest of the family.

“Sorry I’m late. What are you all standing around that goblin for,” the short, fat, blonde woman on horseback asked.

“SHE’S NOT A GOBLIN!” the rest of the family said in unison sparking a shocked response from the rider.

Piglet looked at those in the courtyard and sarcastically said, “Well happy New Life Festival to all of you too. Sheesh.”

1 Like

CHAPTER IV - SILENT NIGHT

The family, and the guests who might as well be family now sat in the large main hall of the house. Food had been eaten, mead had been drunk, and a small conifer had been decorated. There is a warm fire roaring in the fireplace. The smell of food, lavender, cinnamon, apples, and wood fire filled the air.

A third “Giantess” sister had arrived, Meskka the Trollkiller, along with her husband and infant son, and together with her older sisters, Leskka the Shieldwall and Jeskka the Widowmaker, began their tradition of singing ancient Nord festival songs. They were joined by their cousin, Yyta the Paladin, who added a soprano top to the ancient harmonies that filled the room.

Ansha sat on a cushion on the floor now wearing a dress borrowed from Meekka. In her lap one of the younger children of the family who apparently has never met a stranger, even an outworlder, had fallen asleep in Ansha’s lap.

She stroked the sleeping boy’s red hair. For a moment, there was no worry, there was no paperwork, no Starfleet inspections, there was no war, no Undine, no Romulan Star Empire, no Iconians, and no anxiety about keeping the weapons systems of the Dragon running. There was just peace. She closed her eyes after tasting the sights, sounds, and smells, and thought to herself how absolutely sublime this experience is.

1 Like

CHAPTER V - THE RETURN TRIP

“Ready?” Leskka asked all those present in her lab. Leskka stood in front of a large panel of Dwemer construction that had a variety of valve wheels, levers, and buttons.

Yyta nodded as she placed her hands on a large metal globe. “Ready,” Yyta said.

“Yes, Leskka,” Babs answered, also placing her hands on the globe as well.

Ansha stood on a rune-inscribed platform, in a dress that the family made for her, holding her damaged PADD, her shredded uniform, and some other items in a burlap sack. She nervously nodded to Leskka as she said, “I am ready… I think.”

Leskka’s laboratory reminded Ansha of an old 20th century Earth movie she once saw called “Frankenstein”, though not as sinister and with the added smell of fresh bread as Leskka was an avid baker.

With the ancient machinery made by some long gone race described to Ansha as the Dwemer, along with pipes, tanks, tubes, a water wheel, etcetera… the phrase “Rube Goldberg Machine” seemed appropriate as well. How this was going to function was only partially understood by the Starfleet Academy graduate and Tactical Officer, where there were truly parts that functioned on actual magic, a component never thrown around in 25th century technical circles with the sincerity that it is in this world.

“Don’t worry, Ansha,” Leskka said, smiling reassuringly. “We’ve done this before.” This prompted the usually not religious Ansha to close her eyes, turn off her universal translator in her starfleet communicator emblem, and utter a prayer in Punjabi language.

“Hey akal purakh Waheguru ji! aap ji de dar ghar de sewak …Uhm… The USS Dragon… yatara te ja rahe han, rah painḍe vich ang sang sahai hona. Jinhan karajan lai ja rahe ne uhanan karajan vich safalta bakhshani. Aap ji ne kirapa karni, ang sang ho ke sewaka di yatara safali karni.”

This garnered a curious look from Babs, who then said, “Have faith, sera. The Gods will guide you. May they keep in their safe embrace through this journey.”

“Thank you, Lady Babs,” Ansha said in response, after reinitializing her communicator. “Thank you, all of you, for everything. I will never forget any of you.”

“Nor will we forget you, Ansha,” Yyta said. “May Kynareth’s winds take you home, Wind-People.”

“Let’s get her home,” Leskka said. “Engage.” Leskka pulled a large lever which opened a valve from a water tank, allowing the water to flow onto a wheel, which in turn began to rotate a shaft that went to a large metal cylinder. The cylinder hummed to life, causing it to glow blue, which went into a set of spark gap electrodes that guided sparks to the large metal ball that Lady Babs and Yyta were holding. Loose hair on both began to rise into the air. The pair seemed to concentrate on the ball. Their eyes began to glow yellow which then traveled through their bodies, into their hands, and into the globe. This energy traveled down conduits to three gems that surrounded the portal platform Ansha stood on. As the gems glowed with fierce intensity, the round disc that Ansha stood upon began to glow as well.

Suddenly there was no more floor below Ansha. She fell through the floor with a yelp, into what would seem to be a void. It was quiet and peaceful, leading Ansha to wonder if she had died.

Then stars and planets appeared which led Ansha to worry she had been teleported into space. It was like space, only not freezing cold, or devoid of atmosphere.

Two moons saw her and stopped her to talk.

“Well, well, well,” the larger of the two moons said in a cockney accent. “What we got ‘ere?”

“Looks like dem Piggie Girls is at it again, eh, Jode,” the smaller one said in a similar accent.

“Fink dey meant to send dis lil green goblin to us, Jone?” the larger one inquired.

“I am not a goblin,” Ansha said.

“Prob’ly just for us to give ‘er a ‘elping ‘and on ‘er way back to wherever she’s from,” Jone said.

“Roight,” Jode said. “Alroight, little one, off ya go den.”

“Uhm… Thank you?” Ansha replied to the moons quite confused what the talking moons that didn’t have mouths were going to do but at this point she was content to roll with this trip.

Suddenly, with a mysterious force that felt like a boot to the rear, Ansha was sent flying faster than what seemed to be the faster warp drive was capable. The distance was far. She slowed to a lazy drift and stopped. Below her a hole seemed to open up. Before she could see what was beyond, something akin to gravity took hold and she was sucked into the hole in space with scream.

Once the daze cleared she found herself on the platform deck of the transporter room from where she had left. She was, however, still clothed in the dress that the Svineherdersen’s made for her, and she was still grasping the sack holding her damaged, modern, things. She looked around in disbelief as all those crewmates awaiting for whatever this malfunction was to be corrected, the operations crew including LCDR Reese, and others looked on.

“Ansha?” Vonn said. “Ansha? Are you alright?”

Ansha slowly stood up. She examined herself, still in the dress, and then looked at the people with familiar faces and in familiar uniforms. She began to smile.

“I’m back,” she said. “I’m back! They did it. They got me back!”

“Medical,” Vonn called out, pointing at her as he also ran over to her. “Ansha, are you alright?”

“Lieutenant Commander, I am fine,” she said. “I thought I would never get back. They did it. They did it.”

“Well, yeah, my people did,” Vonn said. “You think we are just gonna let you go without a fight during a surprise ion surge… damn civilian ships leaving the dock are supposed to check their speed.”

“Oh, I meant Leskka, Babs, and Yyta,” she said to Vonn. She leaned over to look at the transporter crew. “But thank you also, my friends.”

“Wait… who are Leskka, Babs, and Yyta?” Vonn asked, hoping this answer would simply boil down to momentary confusion. “And… You weren’t wearing this dress when you left. What the hell happened?”

“Well, see…I got accidentally pulled into another realm and then mauled by a saber tooth tiger, and it ripped up my uniform, so the little girl, her name was Meekka, that accidentally brought me to her realm by using an enchanted portal stone that her Aunt, Leskka… or Leelo as she’s known, who also healed me by touching me with a glowing hand, brought me to her home, which was a pig farm in a land called Skyrim, on a continent called, Tamriel, on a planet called Nirn, and then once I convinced her family I wasn’t a goblin, they…” she paused realizing that everything she was saying sounded like utter gibberish. “Uhm… first let me borrow… a dress, then… they made me this dress and let me stay at their home so I could celebrate… New Life Festival… with them… then Leskka, Yyta, and Babs, who is a dark elf, used… magic… and Dwarven things… to open a portal to get me back… home. See? It is really quite simple.”

“Physically, she appears to be healthy, sir,” the corpsman who had just scanned Ansha stated.

“Ansha, you were only gone for a minute,” Vonn said.

“What? Really?” Ansha was now really confused. “It was close to a month there… in Mundus.”

“Mundus?” Vonn asked.

“Uhm, nevermind. It’s a long, strange story, Vonn,” she said. “I am just happy to be home.”

“Well, we’re glad you are home too, Ansha,” Vonn said, “Let’s get you to sick bay, then you can write up a report on it while you recover in your quarters. Captain’s gonna wanna know what happened.”

“Oh,” Ansha moaned, “I do not know where to begin to make sense of all this.”

“Well, first, sickbay, then you get some rest. Alright Lieutenant?”

She complied and followed the medics to sickbay. Vonn watched her walk away, wearing a dress that she wasn’t wearing when she left. The dress reminded him of Norse clothing. He picked up the bag that she had left behind and emptied it carefully on the floor. After scanning it with a tricorder, he began examining the contents. Inside there was her broken PADD, the uniform she was wearing not more than five minutes ago that was quite shredded, dirty, and smelled like woodfire, a loaf of freshly baked, whole grain bread that was wrapped in a cloth, and finally a strange rock, the was covered in strange symbols that reminded Vonn of Norse runes, with a string tied around it and a note attached to that.

He examined the stone and the note in silent confusion. He then shook his head and placed everything back in the bag and motioned to security, “Take this to Lieutenant Wind-People’s cabin please.”

“Aye aye, sir,” the security officer said, turning to comply with instructions.

1 Like

CHAPTER VI - THE GIFT

Ansha, now cleared from medical, entered her cabin. To her, it had been a month, but in this reality, only a few hours. She wondered if she had some kind of dream, which would be a sanity reaffirming excuse save that she still wore the dress that Helga and Meeka had made for her, and the sack full of stuff that lay on her rack.

She began removing the items one by one from the sack, which the family had packed for her journey home. She tossed the damaged clothing into a recycle bin. She carefully pulled the damaged PADD from the sack and laid it on her desk, next to a new one that when awoken from sleep state had a note on its screen saying “Merry Christmas from Vonn.” This made her laugh. She then pulled out the wrapped loaf of bread and smiled. Leskka must have put that in there.

Finally the portal stone with the note attached. How could this little thing, now inert, cause a journey to another realm? It was a mystery. She examined the attached note, then seeing the runic script on in, held it to the working PADD while uttering the command, “Translate.”

The translation replaced Vonn’s comedic holiday wishes, with a new holiday message from her new friends.

“Ansha, We are praying to the Divines that you made it home safely. Thank you for spending the New Life Season with us. We will miss you. If you should find yourself in our area again, please consider our farm your home. With love, your new clan, The Svineherdesen Clan.”

She smiled warmly, then took the rock and the note and placed them in a revolving suspension field display stand.

The stand prompted Ansha for a label, to which she verbally replied, “New Life Festival, Tamriel, Second Era, Five Hundred, Ninety One.”

THE END

2 Likes

Captain Drake Tungsten finishes reading the report in his ready-room.

“I cannot deal with this Enterprise-level weirdness… Computer! When is Commander LaSalle due back from her leave?!”

2 Likes