Konie's summer time adventures.

In the summer I go away a few weekends over the span of a couple of months and participate in U.S. Civil war reenactments. I've been at it for 6 years now and it's good fun. I just got back from one this weekend, and thought I would share. I also started keeping an IC journal at the last event I participated in last year It's all brief as the pages in the journal aren't that big, but all of these are from this years.

May 19th, 1863

My allocated leave has officially ended now as I've returned to to my duties as a line sergeant. I met back up with Company B in the late evening and took no time to meet up with old familiar faces. It was a relief that several of those that I joined up with back in New Orleans made it through the winter and any skirmishes they may have found.

Captain White remains the commanding officer of Company B, and a close friend. He and I took a short walk along the nearby river a short distance that he could show me the wood lodgings the company took up in. A small defensible position. He went on to say that there are union forces in the area, and we should be expecting a fight.
To be honest, I look forward to it.

Mathieu Dupart
Sergeant
1st Louisiana Company B.

Spoiler: Show
QOXwkvn.png

aaand THIS gorgeous view the next morning.
rdQRgiC.jpg

If there's faint interest I'll add more tomorrow when I get home from work.
13 Likes

May 20, 1863

We found out today the Union army was in fact in the area. Their blue uniforms stood out from the green treeline. Then there were drums and the the cracks of their shots. Shortly before midday our makeshift defensibles were attacked by the northern aggressors. It was only a small force and they were pushed back in a matter of hours, retreating into the trees leaving us with our battered hold on the field.

Had they had another company in the fight I am certain that I would not be writing this now. As it stands our attached artillery was largely ineffective against their forces, while their own tattered the timbers that made up the defenses.
I had been looking forward to the fight and certainly am no longer.

They're in the area and now they know where we are, there will be more.

Mathieu Dupart
Sergeant
1st Louisiana Company B.

Spoiler: Show
YgPWMkG.jpg
y2UxWsW.jpg

The person who usually processes the pictures of the battles is taking a long time. :x So have one cannon blast and one tent.
6 Likes