Letter to Mr. Henry Hawkins

To: Mr. Hawkins, H.
CC:
Subj: Your Orb

Dear Mr. Henry Hawkins,

I am Captain Lauren Varley, commanding officer of Deep Space 13. Please accept my deepest apologies for the events which have unfolded in the past 24 hours. From your arrest to the riots earlier today, these events have been extraordinarily regrettable and, perhaps even worse, avoidable had I taken earlier action in the days preceeding.

If you are reading this then you should know I have ordered your release from our custody. Do not assume I have made this decision to appease the rioters on my promenade calling for your freedom. The decision to arrest you in the first place was an error that I will fully investigate personally. I’m sure that like me you wish to see a peaceful conclusion to this situation, and as such I hope that you will condemn the violent acts of your followers earlier today, which brought harm to themselves and others.

The next most pressing issue is that of your orb. I understand you were as surprised as Captain Nimitz was when he was inadvertedly thrown into the wall after physically contacting the orb, causing him serious injury. My request for you is to assist me in determining the cause of this accident and the nature of your orb, so that I can ensure the safety of my starbase. Unfortunately at this time I cannot allow you to continue your public services with the orb due to the unknown danger it presents. This is undesireable for both of us, and it is my most sincere hope that you will help me to rectify this as efficiently as possible by permitting my lead scientist to examine the orb in one of our labs. I have no interest in containing you or your orb against your will, only to ensure the safety of my starbase. If we work together I’m confident we can resolve the matter.

If necessary, I am available to meet in person. I await your reply.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lauren Varley
Commanding Officer, Deep Space 13
38th Fleet ‘Argo’

4 Likes

To: CAPT Varley, L (@Lauren)
CC: ~~
Subj: RE: Your Orb

Captain,

I apologise for the behaviour of those who claim to follow the teachings of the Orb. The Orb teaches passive and peaceful resistance, not violence and bloodshed.

I have doubts that your science can explain the ways the Prophets work, but you are welcome to try.

May you walk with the Prophets,

//SIGNED//

skcoYS5.png

4 Likes