Letters Home (Open Correspondence RP)

If people want to write letters to friends or family regarding the disaster, here's a thread!
8 Likes
Dear Marcus,

I’m alive. I sent a letter to Mom already to circulate but I know things take a while to bounce back out from home, so here’s hoping you get one of these before you worry too much.

I don’t think there’s any chance you don’t know what happened at DS-13, so I’ll spare me the details if that’s alright. I was ordered away from my post and evacuated not long after the shooting started. Not a scratch on me.

It feels like there’s got to be a ledger someplace for this stuff, some epic holy balance sheet where all injuries get recorded. What happened at DS13 has to have a minimum quota of damage, right? But I can’t help thinking it should have been more evenly distributed. Maybe if it had been more people would have made it. I could’ve broken an arm or gotten burned and someone else might have been able to make it to a shuttle

Whoever organized this disaster did a really shitty job.

Nazair says for every good reason there is for your boss to tell you the truth, there’s a better one to lie. I’m not getting good vibes from the SFC right now. They’ve got no plan of action to deal with the people who attacked us, or to rebuild the base, or to do much of anything except lick their wounds and tell us over and over that we need to be team players. Every time I hear that now I want to punch an admiral right in the pips. Anyone who thinks we need to be reminded that we have to work together right now is not in touch with the goddamned team.

Nazair was on the ninth release of the KIA list. Don’t tell Mom. I can handle just about anything right now except her sympathy. I’m just about full up on sympathy.

Love,

Olivia
6 Likes
TO Alaina Skye, FADM O. Skye
FROM CAPT F. Skye, U.S.S. MacAlpine
SUBJ We're okay

Hi Mum & Dad,

Don't worry, me, Keri and Cecilia are all alive out here if a bit shook by this whole situation.

As I have no doubt you have either seen the report or at least heard about what has happened out here at Deep Space 13. I was aboard the station when the shooting started trying to diffuse civilian unrest due to the peace talks taking place with the Azedi aboard the station as well until a situation begun to develop which turned out to be the prelude to the battle starting. I'm not sure how much info I can give out on a public message at this time, so I'm going to hold off on in-depth details of what could be considered sensitive information. Anyway, I pursued the situation trying to find a peaceful situation to the battle as I tried to establish communication with the unknown entity that entered local space, while the MacAlpine under the command of my XO did her duty to the utmost and continued to try and protect the station and later the evacuation effort.

Once the evacuation order was given, I made managed to make my way onto the MacAlpine to take command during the final stages of the battle where the MacAlpine took substantial damage which has ended up putting her out of action for three months at least. But we kept fighting until the end to protect the station and the evacuation.

Keri and Cecilia were both onboard the station during the battle, Keri was in operations helping direct and track the ongoings of the action as it developed. Cecilia was with some other cadets when the evacuation order was given, Cecilia was evacuated by the Valley Forge, I'm sure I have mentioned her and her captain before. Keri stayed in operations until the station lost power and evacuation became a priority and managed to get to beamed out with what was left of the operations command team.

We have set up a temporary base at K-7, but things are not looking good with the overcrowding at the moment and with resources being stretched thin. And at the moment fleet command doesn't seem to have a plan of action, and it has me worried, people need to know there is more of a plan in place and the stance isn't just roll over and lick our wounds and let the Azedi get away with what they did. Nor can we just let the rising death count go unanswered, as of writing this message the death count is approximated to be around 15,000, but that is still going up. We need to do something, or command at least needs to announce that they have a plan of action of some kind. I know they are still in shock as well, but you need to make sure the people under you can put their faith in you in the darkest of hours no matter what, that is true of both a captain and an admiral.

Anyway, time for me to get back to work about my entire crew is working 24-hour shifts, with senior command doing who knows what at this point, just to try and get the MacAlpine working again.

As always your daughter,

Fiona Skye
4 Likes
Mother, Father:

I'm alive. I'm not even hurt. They evacuated us all to K-7. I'll be home as soon as I can, but it's a big mess here, and there are things I need to do first.

There aren't words. I'll tell you everything when I see you.

Love,
Eshka

---

Howie, Phillipa:

I'm okay. I made it out. A lot of others didn't - you know how it is. Light a candle and say a prayer for brothers and sisters.

I'm on K-7 right now. Miss you both lots. Say hi to everyone on Gettysburg for me, especially Commander Hwong.

Bells
3 Likes
Dear cousin,

I hope you're well and sane. How is Michél? I hope your husband is enjoying is time on the Crusader.
You know perfectly why I'm writing to you. Of course the news is arrived on Earth at the speed of light. I am alive, so all of my crew. This time the Melqart wasn't on the front line.
We arrived late to intervene directly in the fight and I don't know if was a luck or not. There are a lot of deaths and wounded people around here, K-7 flooded with refugees, panic in the eyes of the civilians. They hit us hard and I don't know why, There is always a reason, no? Always a motive for something like that.

Not everyone was so lucky. The brother of Tarah was in one of the ship destroyed, I don't remember which one. Some people knew people while we were in the are. Not everyone got out alive from this story. I am tired now. I'm trying to ... make improvements around, you know, in case the Azedi or the other one should return in the area. I want to be prepared, at the best possible.

Kiss my nephew for me and say hello to our friends in St. Michel. Have a nice day cousing

With love,

David Kriss A-L
3 Likes
Hey Mom and Dad,

I'm sure you've heard the news about DS13 by now and are undoubtedly worried. I'm sorry I haven't written earlier. I have had my hands full with patients from the moment I evacuated the station. I am on K7 at the moment with an overflowing schedule. Group sessions followed by individual sessions.. Mom, you remember what that's like. The Vega incursion was much of the same. But don't worry about me. I was not injured. Even had time to take Samantha with me. She's been holed up under my desk in my new makeshift office here.

I promise I've been sleeping. I know you worry about me. Worry I push myself too hard. But I do know how to listen to my own advice. We've been mandated to get at least five hours of sleep every twenty-six hours. I've been attempting six and take a few half hour breaks through the day, to both eat and relax. But there are so many who need help. So many hurt minds to heal. I'll be busy for the foreseeable future. Yet I cannot complain. This is what I signed up for. To help those who are in need. I'll continue to help until I am no longer able.

Give Max and Jon my love and let them know I'm okay. I'll write again when I am able. Within another few weeks, if I can.

All my love,

Tyler
4 Likes
Mom, Dad, and Sis.

I know the news has probably been hell to see. I'm alright though. Well as alright as I'll get, I lost a lot of good crew, and friends in the battle. I've spent the last few days making sense of it or trying to. In the other moments I've been writing condolence letters, contacting those I can directly and mostly just putting one foot in front of the other. I'm no stranger to difficult orderals but this has set the standard to a whole new level for me. I'm under no illusion it has not been for you, waiting for more than the forty second call the first day.

Adding to it, Beylara is listed as MIA. They've gone over her ship completely and we recently completed SARs around the station. At the point of this letter, we're 246 hours from the event. I won't lie to you, the odds have pretty much hit bottom, and it's taking all I've got to keep it together. I know again it's been rough that I haven't gotten in touch to tell you anything, but I used a lot of the time I did have for a call to her father. I'm sorry to say I had more than just that to tell him.

Beylara's mother, Trialla, died on the station. I felt it my place to let him know. I wish all of you could have had the chance to meet the woman she was really something else. Beylara and I had even built a plan for her and Kevit, to visit Earth with us.

I need to get back to it.

Emery
3 Likes
>>Recipient: Commander Thato Thiessen, Starbase 211
>Outgoing transmission copied

Dumela.

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you outside of that initial "WE'RE OKAY!" message. I've only now just had time to sit down and write something out that was a little bit longer.

It was bad. It was very, very bad. Things went wrong and I wish I could explain it better but I can't really unpack it here. You read the news reports, so you know the basics, but ... the station is gone. Basically gone. It's there but it's a floating graveyard punched full of holes.

You don't need to worry. Last time it was hard. This is harder, I won't lie, but there's a support structure in place and I have people close to me watching me, keeping an eye on me, who know my mental health history. I'm not going to have a breakdown or anything like that. This was a situation outside of my control. I tried, I did, but I don't think I could have done better.

This isn't the place to share a lot of these things though.

Sara's scared. She won't tell me, but I'm sure she is. With carrying the baby and all - she wanted to talk to me about retiring and after what happened I considered it. There's too many things to do and too many people to help though, I don't think I can. Don't think I want to. I think I know now why you both stayed in Starfleet while raising Marea and I, despite the risk.

So many people died, Mme. Ntate. I tried. I really tried. Pray for all of us here, please. We'll be in touch.

Ke a go rata.

Weno,

Tau
7 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94858.4

TO Inspector Sofia Álvarez,
CC ~~
FROM CAPT S.A. Bishop, USS Endeavour
SUBJ Operational Status of LTJG Gabriella Valencia
kJZBQTj.png

Inspector Álvarez,

You have no doubt have heard of the attack and evacuation of Deep Space 13. I am writing to confirm that the USS Endeavour was in combat during the battle. As such, it is my regrettable duty to inform you that your daughter, Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Gabriella Valencia remains unaccounted for and is currently still listed as Missing in Action.

We will continue to look for your daughter, and we will expend every avenue we can to try to find her. I hope that this letter goes some way of softening the pain you feel.

Please do not hesitate to message me if you have any questions.

Yours,

//SIGNED//
Captain Dr Samuel Alexander Bishop
Commanding Officer - USS Endeavour
38th Fleet, Aries Squadron
2 Likes
>>Recipient: Commander Thato Thiessen, Starbase 211
>Outgoing transmission copied

Dumela.

Mme, things could be better. Ke go gopotse. I really, really wish that this was all a nightmare and Sara and I could come swing by starbase, pick you up and head back to Marea's. Sit by the pool with the girls.

It isn't though. They're estimating the KIA numbers will be above 20,000 when the numbers post later today.

I know I told you I was confident I did my best. I still am, Mme, but it's harder to keep telling myself that. Things are still okay. I have Sara and friends that are helping keep my locked firmly in reality. I've been going to group grief counseling sessions, too. Mostly because I don't want to burden anyone individually right now.

So many people died under my watch. I did everything I could. Everything.

People have mutinied on one of the ships. They tried to, were stopped, but that's what I always think about. So many people must feel like that and I can only do so much to make it up to them. The rest of the time I just try to do my job. All I can do is try and pray, right? I've been spending a lot of time in prayer - very glad I keep a rosary in my pocket. I'm not sure replicated one would have felt right.

All I find myself doing when alone with Him is begging for forgiveness. No matter how confident I am, I hold such responsibility in this situation and that hurts. JAG inquiries will be coming, Neema made sure to confirm that for me and probably sooner rather than later. I'll keep you both posted.

Weno,

Tau
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94883.0

CC ~~
FROM CAPT S.A. Bishop, USS Endeavour
SUBJ RE: Operational Status of LTJG Gabriella Valencia
kJZBQTj.png

Sofia,

Thank you for your words of comfort; they mean a lot to me, even as I feel ashamed to type these words out. I should be offering words of comfort to you, not the other way around.

I wanted to let you know that your daughter was decorated at the 2417 Fall Awards Ceremony today. Over the past half year, for displaying conspicuous acts of valour and heroism, she was awarded the Starfleet Medal of Commendation, twice. It was my honour to pick up these medals for your daughter, and I wanted to pass on both the Vice Admiral and Rear Admiral's gratitude for your daughter's service to the Federation.

I also wanted to inform you that I sincerely believe your daughter is alive, somewhere. Upon examining her quarters, we found that her MACO armour had been taken from it's holding. It was done deliberately. The suit is fully capable of protecting the wearer in the vacuum of space. Your daughter is a smart and resourceful woman. If it is as I believe, she survived the damage done on her quarters. Earlier today, Deep Space Thirteen Command published the list of those who were killed in action. Your daughter was not on it. She was part of my crew and I promise you that we will spend as much time as we can finding her. Nobody gets left behind. Not in MACO. Not on the Endeavour. You have my word.

Yours,

//SIGNED//
Captain Dr Samuel Alexander Bishop
Commanding Officer - USS Endeavour
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94924.6

CC ~~
FROM 1LT G.S. Valencia, USS Endeavour
SUBJ I love you
kJZBQTj.png

Mamá,

I love you. I am safe. I am alive. I miss you so much. I just want to be in your arms again.

Te amo, Mamá,

//SIGNED//
1st Lieutenant Gabriella Valencia
MACO Team 32 - USS Endeavour
TO DOCTOR Irian Ruar
CC -
FROM CAPT Minabi Derix
SUBJ Miya Derix
Doctor Ruar,

thank you for bringing this incident to my attention and thank you for taking such good care of my mother. I trust she is in the most capable hands.

Due to the current situation here, I will likely not be able to visit as soon as I would like. Barring unforeseen circumstances I will be able to take a trip to Gheryzan on Stardate 94973.5 . Should my mother wake up from her injuries before then, please let her know I will be arriving then.

Once again, my sincerest regards
//SIGNED//
Captain Minabi Rose Derix
Commanding Officer/USS Kassandra
4 Likes