Machine Learning Art

In recent months, I have been having some fun using machine learning tools like Artbreeder to generate portraits of my characters. The neat thing about this approach is that it lets you blend in-game screenshots of your characters, photos of real people, and/or actual human art into something unique. You will often have to be willing to spend some time fine-tuning the settings, and it helps if you approach it with an open mind and willingness to “discover” your character, rather than trying to achieve a specific effect.

I thought I’d share some of my more interesting creations and invite others to do the same. This topic isn’t limited to Artbreeder specifically; it you use other machine learning art tools, tell us about them and show us what you’ve been able to make.

7 Likes

Imgur
SCDR Jalme tr’Nai

5 Likes

Imgur
CMDR Sivath

5 Likes

Davin, sporting a badly photoshopped tattoo.

And LCDR Liz Kermit

6 Likes

This is a pretty fascinating thing.

6 Likes

I’ve got a couple more to share.

Imgur
LCDR Vera Nim

Imgur
Nesha t’Merek

Personally I’ve had better luck producing cool/interesting/not-horrifying portraits when I either mix in a couple illustrations or turn up the “Art” slider in compose mode to 0.5 or higher. When the neural net is trying to make a picture that looks like a drawing or painting, I find the effect more convincing than when it’s trying for photorealism.

6 Likes

For whatever reason, the program really does not like it when my characters have pointy ears. It also keeps trying to add earrings for some reason.

it REALLY does not like vorta ears

Yeah, any “inhuman” features can cause really weird effects. I’d recommend using the tool to create your conception of the human actor who would play the character, then use photo editing tools to add the alien features.

Creating a “H’ajah” actor has been much easier than adding ridges that look good after the fact. I’m not great at this kind of photo editing though.

3 Likes

im not much good with photoshop, but this is what i got for kalris.

3 Likes

I think you’re right.

eba09f2bfbe86c7f2f7e

48f90a7eb67a15ecf299

375691ed3ef8c926a694

I’m super impressed by the immense variety this tool can do.

6 Likes

I have to say, as someone who cannot art on her own, I love artbreeder. Here are the products I’ve wrangled out of it:

Castillo:

Mercer:

Sideris:

Voh:

Too bad about the pointy ears and brow ridges. ;.;

7 Likes

Bit late here, but caught this post on my browsing travels and must admit I think this is pretty neat! I’ve been messing around a little bit, aside from using the in-game image of each character, I’ve enjoyed just playing with random created faces. Coby was simple and not much going on, but Soa’ was a pain and as always she comes out with as best as I can be bothered with after ages of tinkering. But hey, was super fun!

Thanks for sharing the link Sophist.

Sorta’ weirdly gives me the impression of a “remastered” STO!

Flopalopop

4 Likes

oh boy, Coby is smouldering

throws Brie at him

2 Likes

That Soa looks deceptively less evil.

Which I know is a trap, cause Soa evil.

1 Like

(Bumping due to discussion in Discord)
Got a very interesting version of Izly…unsurprisingly it doesn’t like Trill spots either, but that’s expected

1 Like