Machivellian Machinations

Councillor Asinine sat in his office overlooking the bay. He’d been Federation Councillor for Alpha Centauri for twelve years now and he hated the place. He channeled that hate into eroding the crusty, caked on make-up of the Federation. Who was it that said the Federation was tired and old? He couldn’t remember, but they were right…

Asinine sat back, lighting up his pipe. He took a long drag of the Old Sundream tobacco. Being Councillor had it’s perks. His staff would never report him for it. They knew better. He cackled as he took another drag and pulled up his diary on the screen. He saw Okeg’s name and Asinine’s face twisted to a scowl. President Okeg hadn’t been to Centauri in years. Too busy with the Klingons and coddling the weaker members of the Federation, instead of straightening them out. Okeg was insidious. A disease. He had to be stopped.

His secretary buzzed him. Asinine slapped the comm.

“What is it?” Asinine grunted.

“Mister Jonas is here to see you.”

“Send him in, Eva.” Asinine said, getting up and heading to the window, his back to Jonas as he strutted in.

“Councillor, we have a problem.” Jonas stated frankly. Asinine didn’t turn to look at him. Jonas just saw the occasional puff of smoke emanating from his partly shrouded figure.

“Councillor?” Jonas prompted.

“Mister Jonas, I hired you as a problem solver. When there’s a problem, you solve it. Why come to me and tell me that we have a problem?”

Jonas cleared his throat. “The situation on Risa was mishandled. The people we employed to handle it are now in the custody of Starfleet Security.”

“Have they talked?” Asinine asked nonchalantly.

“No. They believe I can secure their release expediently.”

Asinine smiled, turning around and facing Jonas.

“That you can, Mister Jonas. Make sure they are released. Their services are no longer required.”

“How long after their release should I…inform them, Councillor?”

“I will tell you when and I will tell you how, Jonas. You can go to it now.”

Jonas nodded, turning to step away before stopping short of the door.

“And what about Loxton, Councillor? He surely now knows something is amiss.”

Asinine puffed his pipe, turning back to the window.

“Lieutenant Commander Loxton will be dealt with. Contact your person on DS13 and arrange a meeting. I will brief you on how it should be done. No more problems, Jonas. You cannot afford them.”

“Yes, Councillor. I understand.”

Jonas left the office as Asinine watched the ships on the horizon.

“Eva, clear my schedule for today. I’m heading out on the bay. Today is a good day to sail…”

2 Likes