Midnight Run on Risa.

Warner lay silently in bed, a hand resting behind his head as he stared at the PADD he held up. A Tactical Officer position on the October. It felt like a sure fire thing he’d want to do. He’d been encouraged to do so. Convinced even… by Nathes. Brows furrowed lightly as he thought of the name. He wanted to see her again. Yet here he was not taking her advice. He hadn’t sent any form that expressed his interest in the position. He hadn’t even made a report of his own accomplishments, or why he’d be qualified. Becuase he didn’t believe himself to be… and someone who questioned their own judgements shouldn’t have a position aboard a Starship. Let alone a Starbase. Thin lips frowned as he laid the PADD gently down beside him, and sat up. It was dark. Time for a run. Get his mind off of… whatever that was.

The steady sound of his controlled breathing, and displaced sand as he jogged steadily along the beach… mixed with the steady sound of the ocean to his right … was relaxing. It was easy to get into the mindless routine of physical extertion. His own weird form of meditation. It cleared his mind. Let him focus on where he was going. What his body was saying to him. The steady burn of his muscles. The soft crying in the distance? He slowed down from his run, coming to a stop as he heard it again. Definitely crying. Female. He remained frozen… waiting for the owner to cry again before he could pin the direction… and he was rewarded. Another sob. He walked steadily in that direction, going up and up over the terrain. It didn’t sound like pained crying. Despair… maybe. Maybe emotional pain. But he wasn’t exactly an expert in analyzing crying. So he kept his speed a constant… finally arriving to find the owner. A human female… a bikini top and small billowing dress on her bottom half. She didn’t seem hurt.

" Ma’am. "

His voice made her freeze, which quickly turned to her go to leap off the side of the bridge. " WAIT WAIT! " His words made her motions stop, but not her crying. " Stay over there… stay away from me. Just let me die… " He frowned… standing at the start of the bridge… but not making any movements towards her. " Alright… I’m just right here. I’m not moving… but hey. Why don’t you talk to me? Huh? Let’s talk about what’s bothering you… " She didn’t answer immediately, her face buried in her hands as she sniffled more.

" Hey… look. My name is Ruke Warner. I’m from Earth. I’m with Starfleet… I can help if you need help… just… talk. A little bit away from the side of that bridge. "

Another sob, she didn’t seem convinced or comforted by his words… the woman sidestepping a little bit to get further down the bridge. Warner frowned. " … please. Just talk to me. What happened? "

" … my parents died. I got a message … earlier… from Starfleet… " His lips tightened into a thin line as she spoke, his heart falling. He was painfully aware of what those messages were like. He took a small step towards here that went undetected as she sniffled. " I’m sorry. " He said… his voice softened. " I … truly am. I’ve gotten that same message before. I lost my parents too… years ago. " He took another step towards her, unnoticed again… he at least was able to keep her distracted.

" It hurts… but don’t give up. When I found out about my parents… I disconnected myself from everything. I didn’t want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. It was almost like a reverse nightmare, like when you wake up from a nightmare you’re so relieved. I woke up into a nightmare. But… you know your parents wouldn’t want to give up on you… would they? Ms… ? "

" … Rachel. Lieutenant … on the Trident. " Warner paused… he couldn’t help but smile a little. " The Trident? No kidding. That was my first posting. " Another small step. " Captain Trelbay still running her after the heavy refit? " She nodded, sniffling again as she wiped her eyes. She was staring down at the ground below instead of paying Warner any mind. He kept talking. " He still making his bridge crew play board games once a week? A Bonding Experience… he’d say. "

The sniffling was betrayed by the smallest of chuckles as she nodded, but she didn’t respond with words yet. " He’s… an amazing Captain. And the Trident is a hell of a ship. Hell of a crew… Rachel. If you’re stationed on that ship… someone must have believed in you. Your XO. Trelbay himself… he’s notoriously picky about his crew. Him… that crew. They’d be heart broken if you got hurt. Or worse. But… they can’t help you if you’re gone. You can’t… honor your parents if you give up everything. I … I know it hurts. It will get a little easier… but it will be hard before it does. But lean on those around you. Lean on your friends on the Trident. Lean on … all of us. So you aren’t hurting alone. "

Her shoulders shook slightly at a silent sob, tears glistening down cheeks in the midnight sky. She sunk down on the bridge as Warner walked slowly over to her… leaned down and picked her up, cradleing the poor woman in his arms as she cried into his red shirt. " Thank you, Rachel. " He smiled lightly, and started the long walk back to the main buildings. It was a quiet walk. Until she finally broke it. " Mr. Warner… I can walk now. " He nodded, setting her down lightly as he looked at her. " … I’ll get in contact with Trelbay for you. See about getting you back to your ship. I won’t tell him what happened. Alright? But remember… they can’t help you if you don’t let them. "

She nodded to him, wiping her eyes again as she walked into the building slowly. Warner watched her silently, making sure she went into her room before he went into his… though only briefly to grab his PADD. He sat outside, to make sure she didn’t leave her room again. He tapped a few buttons on the PADD, waiting… until the gray haired Captain Trelbay answered, in his ready room.

" Warner! It’s been too long! How have you been, son? I heard you were put on the 38th! Hell of a posting… " Warner let out a long breath, but shook his head lightly. " Captain… I thank you for your kind words… I just… " He paused… relaxing himself a little. " I was thinking I should visit sometime. We could play some of those board games we used too… "

6 Likes