New STO content spoiler dumping grounds

Picard choose not to get involved, Shan on the other hand....
<rant>

There's so much to unpack here...

I can't fathom why J'mpok acted as he did - his attempt to blame J'ula for massacre on Khitomer is a completely stupid move, considering J'ula practically declared war on the entire Alliance in "The Centre Cannot Hold". I was surprised how "meh" Federation and Republic representatives were on Khitomer after J'ula nuked entire Starfleet starbase and almost managed to destroy Republic outpost by siccing Elachi on them. You'd think both sides would treat J'ula more seriosly after such display, especially since she espouses return to the old klingon values - which would end up in klingons withdrawing from the Alliance and return to hostilities.
The entire scheme (at this point) looks forced so we would end up with J'ula as temporary ally and creating a feeling of "alone against the universe". While I'm interested to see the next scene, I have a feeling we'll have J'ula dressing down Martok for allowing J'mpok to gain power in the first place and convincing him to reclaim his position as Chancellor. This will end up in epic battle and duel between J'mpok and Martok, with Martok winning and taking back his position. Which I wouldn't mind at all, since Cryptic never bothered to build up other possible contenders.

Good stuff:
- Voice acting
- House of Woldan rep drinking his way through entire combat in the Great Hall
- Finally being able to beat Shon's ass

Bad stuff:
- J'mpok acting like a scared grishnar cat
- Koren making sense - don't get me wrong, I'm glad she's not irritating as usual, but if you need her to be the only one to point out something is fishy here and actually trusting your character, after all you went through with her, Shon and Kagran since the Undine attack on Qo'nos, you have to wonder...
- Not being able to destroy Kagran's abomination of the Alliance battlecruiser

</rant>
Ah cool, for Feds it's Shon who acts reasonably and attacks the others. I suspect for Romulans it'd be Jarok would be on your side against whichever alliance partner you didn't select. I wonder what happens for Dominion, if it's like other missions it's probably the same experience as Feds/KDF get
1 Like
That is interesting, yeah in my Fed plays Koren was pissed off, more like you describe lol.
I enjoyed it for the memes:

unknown.png
“Whoa, are those funnel fries?”

unknown.png
”THOSE WEREN’T FUNNEL FRIES!”

unknown.png
Brahe is glass cannon confirmed

11/10 would die for funnel fries again
3 Likes
Like Sadia, I found there was a lot to unpack here.

My big problems here lie with the disconnect between J'ula's motives, her actions, and her words. Her motives are a mystery - what does she want, exactly? Her actions are, as Sadia mentioned, essentially declarations of war against the big three members of the Alliance. I found the envoys' responses to be somewhat subdued as well - but not quite as bad as the baffling move of the Alliance Chairman, a person we've not seen before and probably won't see again (did he escape the addition of a Rift sunroof to Alliance HQ? I'm not sure.) After all, J'ula made it clear she hated the Alliance, and her actions demonstrated it. Why would he shelter someone who was clearly his enemy?

I'm also baffled by J'mpok's actions as well. This guy seems to have no moral compass. First he breaks the treaty with the Federation, and goes to war with them for years. Then he helps make the Alliance, although reluctantly, to the writers' credit. Now he's trying to... what? Break the alliance again? Take it over for himself?

Plus, the whole rush to accusation and fugitive status made no sense, especially with some of the people you'd have aboard after saving them. I mean, I had Ambassador Sugihara aboard! Why didn't our characters get *him* on the line to tell his side of things?

Some enemy-becomes-friend stories can be done well, but this one, sadly, wasn't. I wonder if the writers were on strike at the time?
1 Like
I can, to a point, understand J'mpok's motivation. He's a schemer - he riled the High Council against the Martok (practically claiming the same stuff about Martok that J'ula used against him) until he got enough support to remove Martok without starting the civil war, he brought the Orion Syndicate into the Empire's fold, started war with the Federation to keep everyone in the Empire occupied as he consolidated his power, got rid of the B'vat and Torg when they became a hot potato - everything he did was calculated and without too much risk to himself.
Now, he has Martok breathing at his neck again, and J'ula who came practically out of no where to challenge his rule. Of course he would want to get rid of them both. However, this convoluted plot to get rid of them by setting them up for new Khitomer massacre is just too risky for his established MO - especially if Hero Protagonist isn't an KDF officer (so he can't simply execute them or send them to Rura Penthe). He can use the Alliance resources to stomp J'ula and deal with Martok by other means (like Syndicate assassins etc.).
There could be an option that he finally caved in under pressure and went with nuclear option...it just seems too hamfisted for him.
2 Likes
They definitely need to fill in the gaps with the next episode. For instance when, where, how did he J'mpok speak to googly eyes? What agreement did they come to that he'd betray J'ula in favor of J'mpok? She wanted to go back to the old ways, the old ways of the Klingon warrior. Is J'mpok, as stated above, the schemer, more of a warrior than J'ula? And googly eyes (yes I can't remember his name) coming from the lineage we believe him to be from (has it been officially established?) can surely see through J'mpok and know that he's looking out for what is in his best interests, not of the Empire. Could it be perhaps he does see through him and figures he can entice him with a new weapon and power, and when the time is right, strike him down and seize control for himself?

If for example, J'mpok kills J'ulla and in turn is killed by googly eyes as the avenger of J'ulla, perhaps that could give him some claim to the chancellorship? I don't know, I'm making up too much conjecture now.

All we can do is sit back, pour a drink and wonder... What would Clone of Kahless do? ;-)
1 Like
Is it possible that the Alliance HQ could be another future Fleet Holding?
1 Like

Not necessarily the HQ, something more in the line of the local outpost/facility?
They definitely need to fill in the gaps with the next episode. For instance when, where, how did he J'mpok speak to googly eyes? What agreement did they come to that he'd betray J'ula in favor of J'mpok? She wanted to go back to the old ways, the old ways of the Klingon warrior. Is J'mpok, as stated above, the schemer, more of a warrior than J'ula? Could it be perhaps he does see through him and figures he can entice him with a new weapon and power, and when the time is right, strike him down and seize control for himself?

I have a feeling that J'ula and Aakar had a disagreement over their "work ethics" for quite some time. Aakar figured out they'll eventually come to blows and decided to use J'mpok against her. You might be right, but as you said it, we'll have to wait and see. Maybe some lore blogs before new episodes arrive might shed some light on this.

Quote:
And googly eyes (yes I can't remember his name) coming from the lineage we believe him to be from (has it been officially established?) can surely see through J'mpok and know that he's looking out for what is in his best interests, not of the Empire.

I must chime in here and be the devil's advocate and opine that J'mpok was actually a decent leader. He acquired services of the Orion Syndicate (orion tech, spies, smugglers), discovered and exposed wide-scale Undine infiltration, conquered Gorn, recruited Nausicaans, Ferasan, Letheans. He didn't abolish any of Martok's military reforms (as allowing non-klingons to serve in the military and gain officer ranks). War with Federation was a calculated move to keep everyone united against the common threat - and he was smart enough to recognize the greater threat in the Iconians (I mean, they killed a nice chunk of High Council when they stopped by to introduce themselves) and stop that war to focus on the Iconians.
Remember - Empire needs to have an outside threat to prevent infighting. As the klingon intro to one of my favorite Star Trek game explains it succinctly:

P.S.
I found this interesting lore snippet from the Path to 2409, for the year 2389:

"In addition, internal strife divides the Klingon noble houses. On Stardate 66091.53, Aakan of the House of Mo'kai slays K'das, son of B'vat. The death reignites a century-long blood feud between the two houses, and B'vat throws all his efforts into hunting down every member of the House of Mo'kai. Allies of both of the noble families enter into the fight, but in the end, Aakan is the last of his house. After Aakan flees Qo'noS, he is run to ground by agents of the House of B'vat, who corner him on H'atoria on Stardate 66306.71. Two days later, B'vat defeats Aakan in ritual combat, and Chancellor Martok formally dissolves the House of Mo'kai."

So the house of Mo'kai was around as a legal House until very recently...
2 Likes
wrote:

Not necessarily the HQ, something more in the line of the local outpost/facility?

Yea much like they use the assets from missions for other Fleet Holdings e.g. the Research lab etc.
Hoch ‘ebmey tIjon

To add some context to the post, it details the moment J'pok meets with Aakar.
1 Like

Initial reaction to Leap of Faith upon starting the mission:

Bumping this for people to talk about the new stuff!

That first mission was so long! At least it felt long.
Soā€¦the Year of the Klingon is finally over. Jā€™mpok is dead and Lā€™rell is Chancellor again. I guess itā€™s not a surprise? I am surprised that Jā€™ulla is getting a 2nd chance. I kinda thought she would say something along the lines of she will submit herself to any punishment Lā€™rell sees fit, given the crimes sheā€™s committed.

I finished the arc on a KDF character so I donā€™t know if a Fed character might have different dialogue options. I meanā€¦didnā€™t they (the player) go rogue to help Jā€™ulla?

1 Like

So as a Fed, weā€¦ basically just forgive Juā€™la and thenā€¦ well nothing. No dressing down from the Federation or anything. Are we going to Star Trek IV this? Maybe end up in the 32nd Cen?

Anyway, I enjoyed the missions, but the thing that irked me was that in the first mission we were presented with options as to what the group should do (which people to help first etc). And then we were just railroaded into the decision. Why make it so that everyone was arguing just so you were going to make a scripted choice first? Also, there was another instance when youā€™re having to disable the virus of the Klingon ships before they explode. Should have stuck a timer on that and forced the players to make a decision; fight off the incoming attackers or save the ship.

Anyway, the set pieces were good. Leaning on the wall emote when?

RIP Jā€™mpokā€™s hand.

2 Likes

Itā€™s more that theyā€™re framed for assisting Jā€™ula with the one particular war crime that Jā€™ula didnā€™t actually commit and then donā€™t really have any choice but to team up with her, because Jmā€™pok orders the Klingons under his command (read: most of the empire) to shoot on sight.

1 Like

Jā€™mpok is later exposed infront of the leaders of a few of the great houses, he then dissolves the high council and declares himself Emperor, with I guess a bunch of the great houses sticking with him, and various vassals (The Nausicaan, Lethean and Ferasanā€™s) stick with them as well.

After Jā€™mpokā€™s flagship is destroyed (TFO), Lā€™rell offers amnesty to everyone who wants to fold back into the new empire under her and Jā€™ula.

The devs have stated that ā€œthe new KDF mission giver will be either Lā€™Rell, Jā€™Ula ot Adeptā€™pa depending on if they can get the actors or not for such a small thingā€.

So basically, expect new missions to be coming from the Khitomer Alliance folk, rather than Quinn/KDF person ;)

Story wise, this entire arc has been a railroad of mediocrity I think is fair to say.

The ending is very disappointing, Jā€™Ula didnā€™t acknowledge her horrible acts, she revelled in them to the end. All the way up until her whiplash inducing heel-turn, she came across as nothing more than a cackling villain doing evil things for the sake of being an awful person. And thereā€™s been no sign of that changing at the end, just a vague sense of ā€œThey were enemies of the Empire, which makes it OK for me to have enjoyed it.ā€ Which reeks of the same indifferent attitude as ā€œI was just following orders.ā€

RIP Seeda Base which being a Starfleet base probably had a ton of civilians onboard too. Not to mention all the wilful corruption of the mycelial network (which should have killed everyone in every universe - but letā€™s ignore that).

All that being said, this arc, in particular the last two episodes have been some of the most technologically impressive missions in STO, so kudos where itā€™s due. But story wise, I just canā€™t say I cared for it all that much. Iā€™d be interested to see how/if Argo incorporates it as portrayed in the game.