Of Significant Concern, A Personnel Matter.

-- CODED MESSAGE --
To: LCDR Sedai | EYES ONLY

Counselor,

I have booked an appointment with you on behalf of Lieutenant James Kermit, an operations officer whom I believe is already known to you.

During the attack on Starbase 234 and on New Romulus, the Lieutenant hacked into reports that were above his security level and paygrade, and subsequently lied to me about them. He then walked off the job during the fleet's combat engagement around New Romulus to make a private comm call without clearing it with a superior officer. He was concerned about a close friend on the Starbase, which is understandable, but in the process he lied to a superior officer and engaged in an act of desertion.

I am boggled as to why he continues to damage his career by working outside protocol. This is not his first demerit. I understand he had these issues with authority in the Academy, and he had these issues with my predecessor, who did not adequately address them. I wish to address them. At this point, he should really be bounced straight out of Starfleet, but...

I believe that James has a lot of potential and a bright future as a Starfleet officer, if he can get his intransigence and his disrespect for authority and for Starfleet process under control. I am afraid that his inability to work within the department and within Starfleet rules will cause undue harm both to himself and to the Station in the coming war. I have given him many chances to shape up, but he continues to believe himself to be better and more important than the rest of the officers in the operations theater. By lying and deserting, he has forced my hand. One more error and his career is toast. However, a counselor could perhaps work with him to make sure that he can get these unfortunate tendencies under control before I am forced to pull him out of active duty.

I hate giving up on my people, Counselor. I'd rather not give up on Kermit, even though he's pushing me towards that end. If there is anything you can do to help, I would appreciate it.

Sincerely,
CMDR Julia Helstone
5 Likes
TO: CMDR Helstone
SIGNED: LCDR Sedai, Katriel
:: Standard Level 3 Encryption ::

Hello, Commander.

I appreciate you taking the time to explicate the background of the Lieutenant's situation to me. I will admit to being highly sympathetic with the desire to give Kermit the benefit of the doubt, despite his tendency to err on the side of imprudence, so please rest assured that I will take this matter very seriously.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Sedai, Katriel
DS13 Counseling
5 Likes