OFFICIAL: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread

ALL DISCUSSION OF "the Last Jedi" SHOULD GO IN THIS THREAD.

Do not continue reading if you do not want spoilers. Posters are welcome to use spoiler tags to cover things up, but if you are reading this thread, you should be receptive to having the movie ruined for you if you haven't seen it yet.

If you end up posting discussion points in the shoutbox or in the OOC channels in game, bad things will happen. Very... very bad things.
8 Likes
Watching people get angry in the Star Wars Leaks subreddit about leaked plot descriptions is.. entertaining. I'd forgotten how incredibly whiny and entitled nerds could be.

Plus, I mean, everything in Star Wars sounds stupid when described with no real context. I mean, there's a significant chunk of ESB where the only character Luke interacts with is a muppet.
2 Likes
5 bucks on Luke Skywalker turning to the Darkside.
wrote:
5 bucks on Luke Skywalker turning to the Darkside.

It won't be a complete turn but he'll be swayed. Probably have to battle off the internal demons left from between ROTJ and TFA.
1 Like
Warning, possible spoilers
3 Likes
Might not see the movie till after Christmas, we'll see. Just hope I can avoid spoilers on social media until that time.
1 Like
Oh. Right. Hey everyone who commented on the thread so far. If you don't want to see spoilers in the notification bar unsubscribe from the thread up top!

That was almost bad.
1 Like
As I have just returned from seeing it OH MY GOD!!!!

I'm not hiding this behind a spoiler, so do enjoy reading at your own risk ;)

The Last Jedi is certainly one of the best Star Wars films I don't want to call it the best, without another watch. But!
The way the story keeps moving forward I really like, though the pacing for the first half of the film seemed slow, and then the second half was a sprint.

Luke is perfect, and I love his interactions with Yoda, it really brings together who Luke is as this last of the Jedi who did loose everything he was building.
I'm glad we learned about what happened between Luke and Ben.

Disappointed on the death of Snoke, I really want to know more about him because he was powerful, questions such as, where is he from, why was he the Supreme Leader?

The Canto Bight side plot seems very useless, by that I mean Finn and Rose going to find a master hacker, that wasn't needed, and basically became a way to have Finn and Phasma fight, though the conclusion of that fight is most amusing. "Rebel Scum."

The other half of going there I really did enjoy though, the film keeps showing you it's meaning throughout. At the start of the movie, Poe sacrifices a bunch of resistance fighters to destroy the Dreadnought this doesn't do them any good though, as they're tracked through light speed anyway.

In every scene, the resistance don't win by fighting their enemies or "blowing things up", they win by saving each other.

• Rose doesn't get revenge by killing on Canto Bight, she gets revenge by saving those hurt the tortured animals and the slaves.
  • Luke doesn't go to physically fight and kill Kylo, he instead distracts him and buys the remaining resistance forces time to flee.
  • Snoke being killed doesn't suddenly save the day, as Kylo decides to take the reigns anyway.

This movie I feel is different from other films in the series in that it has a very clear message; one that Rose says out loud before passing out at the end of the movie

"You don't win by killing your enemies. You win by saving your friends."

Which cues the final scene of the children telling stories about the great Jedi Luke Skywalker, and passing on to those children the torch so to speak. Also the obvious force sensitive child was obvious. You go get 'em kid!

I'll likely have more thoughts as I go along but those are my first.
5 Likes
Saw it!

Did anyone else notice...
Spoiler: Show
that the Jedi books from the tree that we thought were destroyed when Yoda set it on fire were in the cabinet drawer on the Falcon when Finn gets a blanket for Rose? I didn't see it, but someone else did and pointed it out to me. O.O Crazy! [/s]
4 Likes
Yeah. When Yoda told Luke that there was nothing in the tree that she didn't already possess, Yoda was being facetious, because Rey had already taken the books. He was just making sure Luke didn't realize that before he got out of his 'the Jedi must end' funk.
2 Likes
Well done Rian Johnson... well done.
I thought it was just okay.

Parts of it were amazing, but there were a lot of issues for me with the tone, and some of it was just not that good in my opinion.
I like it! Sure, it wasn't what I was expecting, but I still thought it was great. Poe is made of sass and awesome.
Yeah. When Yoda told Luke that there was nothing in the tree that she didn't already possess, Yoda was being facetious, because Rey had already taken the books. He was just making sure Luke didn't realize that before he got out of his 'the Jedi must end' funk.
I noticed it too. Imo it kinda cheapens the lesson Yoda was trying to teach Luke but otherwise I thought it was a good way to twit the meaning of Yodas words.

As for the rest of the movie, it had problems sure, but this was the first one of the Disney era where I was able to set aside my bitterness about the EU and actually enjoy the movie. The last two I was just kinda numb to and had trouble loving or teally hating as a result (Though TFA still is rather meh on its own merits as well) but I'll get into that some other time.

First, what I didn't like:
1. While this goes a long way to grounding her, and even calls out the end fight from the first movie, Rey is still a Mary sue. Maybe as I've RPed Star Wars characters from nothing's into powerful and respected Force-users, her development into the next potential Jedi will always disapoint me. Still, it was nice to see Snokes guards almost overpower her more than once. It's progress, I'll take it.

2. THE FORCE DOES NOT PROTECT YOU FROM THE VACUME OF SPACE!

3. Phasma is still pretty much all hype, and nothing worth mentioning. She's like the Boba Fett of the 3rd trilogy. Except not one is falling for it with her, and Fett was never intended to become as popular as he did.

4. Snoke's death. Main reason why is who he is and how he entered Kylos life is still a mystery. All he does is chew the scenery for a few scenes, and then get betrayed by Kylo without us knowing anything else about him. Maybe the new EU has more about him like the old one had Sidious, but still. Oh well, I did like how he looked old and decrepit, but he was still very powerful in the Force. He may have had his guards, but he didn't seem to need them. If he hadn't been caught by his own hubris, he could have probably killed both Rey and Kylo on a whim. Also dat Hugh Heffner bathrobe lol.

5. Kylo with his ability the hold blaster bolts in midair, and Snoke with his abilities to fling Rey like a rag doll have I'm sorry to say, but pretty comical and ungrounded Force powers. This really is getting beyond the realm of suspension of disbelief and into the rediculus for me. My goodness. Maybe again I have too high standards, but geez. Otherwise, yeah, liked how Snoke was portrayed. Just wish we got to know more about him before he died. It's like the New Republic in this continuity. We hardly know anything about it, so it's collapse has little meaning for me aside how it indirectly affects the people I care about in the story.

My next post will be on positives as I have ALOT to say about that and I don't want to wall of text any more than I have in this post.
1 Like
So this is only tangentially related, but all this talk about Last Jedi I’ve been seeing, plus my affection for the work of Rian Johnson, has me eager to see it. I was therefore motivated to finally watch The Force Awakens last night. I had nothing against the movie going in; I’m not a big fan of JJ Abrams work and the reviews didn’t make it sound like anything particularly great, but I was willing to be pleasantly surprised.

Long story short, I got drowsy and stopped it halfway through. It was shortly after the scene where a stormtrooper breaks out a melee weapon we’ve never seen before that is apparently lightsaber proof so we could give Finn something to do in the movie for a minute.

I’ll finish it up tonight. Hoping that the second half gets better.
1 Like
wrote:
1. While this goes a long way to grounding her, and even calls out the end fight from the first movie, Rey is still a Mary sue. Maybe as I've RPed Star Wars characters from nothing's into powerful and respected Force-users, her development into the next potential Jedi will always disapoint me. Still, it was nice to see Snokes guards almost overpower her more than once. It's progress, I'll take it.
I think part of the implication is that she's been unconsciously pulling from Kylo's skillset through the force link.

wrote:
2. THE FORCE DOES NOT PROTECT YOU FROM THE VACUME OF SPACE!
Says who? The average human being can survive for about twenty seconds in hard vacuum, and Jedi are hardy folks.

wrote:
5. Kylo with his ability the hold blaster bolts in midair, and Snoke with his abilities to fling Rey like a rag doll have I'm sorry to say, but pretty comical and ungrounded Force powers.
Being able to hold bolts midair makes a sort of sense. Blaster bolts aren't lasers- they're superheated gas. Logically speaking, all he's doing is holding some gas in place, which isn't far out of the typical jedi skillset.
1 Like
wrote:
Long story short, I got drowsy and stopped it halfway through. It was shortly after the scene where a stormtrooper breaks out a melee weapon we’ve never seen before that is apparently lightsaber proof so we could give Finn something to do in the movie for a minute.
The energy arcs repel the magnetic field of the lightsaber.

And Jack says the years and years and YEARS of consistent Star Wars lore that I'm familiar with. Neither the surviving the vacume nor what Kylo and Snoke has done makes any sense as I understand the Force. It's completely farsical and to me detracts from some of the groundedness the Force had. It enhanced your abilities and made you do some pretty fantastical things, but it didn't turn you into a cross between Magneto and Superman.
Luke survives hard vacuum at least twice during the old EU.

And 'can survive hard vacuum for slightly longer than a regular person' is hardly a farcical use of the force, given that it nearly killed her.
Sophist wrote:
So this is only tangentially related, but all this talk about Last Jedi I’ve been seeing, plus my affection for the work of Rian Johnson, has me eager to see it. I was therefore motivated to finally watch The Force Awakens last night.

I think your motivation for watching TFA is to prepare to eventually watch Last Jedi, so my comment might be moot, but...

Speaking as someone who considered themselves a "mild" Star Wars fan, TFA was merely okay and Last Jedi turned me into more of a fan than I used to be. They were on entirely different levels of interesting for me.
5 Likes
Luke survives hard vacuum at least twice during the old EU.

And 'can survive hard vacuum for slightly longer than a regular person' is hardly a farcical use of the force, given that it nearly killed her.
I'll concede that Rey getting thrown around is actually believable when I remembered Yoda lifted a whole X Wing with little strain. So ok, maybe I'm just overtired and ranting at clouds...