Operations Report: DS13 Armaments and Tactical Systems Department Assessment

Stardate:
Filed By:
LCDR Th'raor, Thylas
Clearance:

LOCATION Deep Space 13, Aldebaran Sector.

MISSION Full rundown of DS13’s offensive and defensive armaments, ranging from system specifications, dry-fire simulation exercises, and subsequent recalibrations.

OUTCOME Following recalibration of certain armaments and dry-fire simulation exercises, DS13’s armaments and the Tactical Systems Department have gained a 13.7% increase in effectiveness.

KEY PERSONNEL

• LCDR Th’raor, Thylas
  • Tactical Systems Department

NARRATIVE Following initial assessment provided by CAPT. Varley, Lauren regarding the various offensive and defensive armaments found on Deep Space 13 and their need for continual calibration tests, LCDR Th’raor, Thylas alongside various members of the Tactical Systems Department would engage in manual recalibrations of the station’s fifty-four mark XIV phaser arrays, twenty-four phaser turret emplacements, thirty-six twin-tube pho-torp launchers, and the extensive phaser point defense system. The overall assessment was broken up over four days, with a day attributed to each system for rundown, assessment, and training. Following these initial assessments, a fifth day was assigned for an overall systems test involving dry-fire simulated exercises to ensure members of the Tactical Systems Department are better prepared in the event DS13 or 38th Fleet vessels approaching DS13 come under assault. The following observations from LCDR Th’raor, Thylas are listed below.

ANALYSIS
Log #1 - Initial Review
As requested by CAPT. Varley and reiterated by CMDR. Valore, I’ve begun my overall assessment regarding Deep Space 13’s offensive and defensive armaments through thorough memorization of the technical data regarding this station’s significant array of weaponry. I’ve also taken the liberty of reading through the personnel files I was granted access to, specifically about those within the Tactical Systems Department. I admit I find myself having accepted this task as being daunted. It’s one thing to oversee the weapons of a starship, yet this station feels like an entirely new type of beast to master. Understanding this is likely to be included in my overall report, I’ll refrain from further personal commentary and stick with what needs to be addressed. Per the information provided by CAPT. Varley, the Engineering Department did their job well, but there are some rather significant issues pertaining to the station’s weaponry that need to be addressed. I recognize some individuals might believe a delay of up to three to four seconds for a weapon to fire after initially prompted to is to be expected. I believe otherwise. Through extensive system assessment and personnel training, I hope to reduce the delay between a tactical officer initiating a firing solution and the station’s armaments responding to such a prompt.

Log #2 - Mk. XIV Phaser Arrays Assessment
Following the preliminary assessment of weapon data procured from initial tests, as well as those provided by the Engineering Department, we set about the assessment of DS13’s offensive phaser arrays. I’m proud to report, ideally to CAPT. Varley’s specifications, that most of the Mk. XIV phaser arrays remained within the required calibration specifications. There were, however, arrays that required extensive recalibration. The scale in which a millimeter of difference can affect firing solutions at great distances cannot be understated. This being in mind, the following arrays have been listed for further assessment in the upcoming week: Array 13, Array 14, Array 19, Array 22, Array 25, Array 27, Array 31, Array 34, Array 40, and Array 56. Each of these arrays took multiple attempts of recalibration to be deemed effective and suited for usage. Recommendations should problems persist are listed below. Personnel within the Tactical Systems Department were also extensively trained in firing solution coordination, threat assessment response time, communication under pressure, and an overall refresher on the technical specifications and requirements of the Mk. XIV phaser array.

Log #3A - Twin-tubed Pho-torp Launcher Assessment
Unlike the Mk. XIV phaser arrays, not much was required to adequately assess the readiness of DS13’s photon torpedo launchers. Mechanically speaking, of course. Much of the assessment was tailored toward department readiness and familiarization. Members of the Tactical Systems Department were given an in-depth rundown regarding the technical manuals of photon torpedos, the systems used within each torpedo, as well as the various patterns that the department can utilize to maximize the effectiveness of our photon torpedo complement. Much like the phaser arrays, members of the department were trained in firing solution coordination, threat assessment response time, and communication under pressure, as well as a crash course in “identifying threat weak points for maximized damage and threat reduction.”

Log #3B - Phaser Turrent Emplacement Assessment
With much of the department still hammering away at the technical manuals provided, with a few even running through some simulated exercises, I’ve opted to continue with the assessment of DS13’s twenty-four phaser turret emplacements. Much like the Mk. XIV phaser arrays, I’m pleased to find most are within the specified calibration range as specified by CAPT. Varley. Only three of twenty-four turrets required extensive recalibration, with only one posing a continual problem: Dorsal Turret 12. I’ll be forwarding this assessment to our engineering department to see if they can determine what the underlying issue is. Dorsal Turret 12 accepts recalibration routines, though reverts to previous calibrations anywhere between thirty to forty-five minutes later. Beyond these issues, members of the Tactical Systems Department were given a quick rundown and were allotted opportunities to engage in simulated exercises to ensure calibrations were correct.

Log #4 - Overall Systems Assessment
With each of the station’s offensive and defensive armaments having undergone testing and recalibration, an overall systems assessment was in order, both to ensure recalibration efforts increased system effectiveness, and also to ensure members of the Tactical Systems Department were adequately prepared. As such, three simulated exercises were initiated with varying degrees of difficulty. Exercise #1 focused on threat assessment and systems coordination, with members of the Tactical Systems Department forced to engage in a hypothetical assault by Hur’q. I admit some of this was tailored to my own experiences during the Hur’q Conflict, but due to some quick thinking by one of the junior officers, Exercise #1 was deemed a success. After a short break, Exercise #2 began, this time focusing on heavy usage of the phaser point defense system to engage swarms of fighters and other small craft, with pho-torps reserved for engaging heavier starships. The goal of this exercise was to assess communication under pressure and threat reduction. I’ve found from experience that communication can often break down when officers are required to micromanage various systems at once, so the inclusion of small craft swarms was to emulate such an environment. In hindsight, a better test is in order, though there is only so much one can assess and retrain for. While communication under pressure, and communication in general I surmise, needs to be further worked on, Exercise #2 demonstrated clear improvements on various officers’ previous test records. Exercise #3 was the culmination of everything learned, with the simulated exercise being an unexpected ambush, with only DS13 present within the simulated space. While previous tests either had vessels of the 38th Fleet present or otherwise en route to assist, no indication was given to members of the Tactical Systems Department as to whether help was on the way or not. The exercise included everything learned and tested previously, though department members weren’t given an initial phase to prepare. This exercise also served the purpose of ensuring the various armaments handled well under stress and a flurry of countless inputs, as well as ensuring that recalibration efforts wouldn’t have to be repeated until the next assigned time. Arrays 14, 19, and 56 all reverted to previous calibration settings, though again one of the department’s junior officers managed to temporarily direct these arrays’ firing patterns in a manner that bolstered other arrays’ effectiveness. All in all, my overarching assessment is that, while this department certainly has a ways to go in the growth of skill, it is more than capable of meeting any threat that might somehow come our way.

RECOMMENDATION Recommendations for personnel are rather short, beyond continual testing and refamiliarization every month or so on the various armaments at our disposal. Additionally, I’d find it healthy to encourage some sort of minor competition in simulated exercises. While in the end, everyone is expected to do their duty to the best of their ability, it doesn’t hurt to have a little morale boost here or there. Recommendations for systems are summarily short, focusing primarily on the Mk. XIV phaser arrays. Should problems persist and arrays continue to revert to previous calibration settings, reducing overall effectiveness and tactical systems department preparedness, I believe select arrays either be replaced or undergo extensive testing by members of the Engineering Department. While this might be seen as a rather aggressive response, it is argued that crew input can only go so far as to mitigate software and hardware malfunction.

OOC This is my first ever report written up for Argo and the first forum post I’ve written in years! I do hope it meets expectations and that whatever reports I find myself writing in the future exceed those expectations! A big thanks to both @Lauren and @Valore for giving me this idea, as well as keeping me on my toes to write it up!

8 Likes