Orb in possession of Mr Henry Hawkins

To: CAPT Varley, L, RADM Quint, E.
CC:
Subj: Orb in possession of Mr Henry Hawkins

Dear Sirs

It appears that Mr Hawkins has acquired an item which appears to be an Orb of the Prophets. Which orb is unknown, but there are three known orbs which went missing after the Occupation, and have not yet resurfaced. Given the effects that this orb is reported to have on Starfleet personnel who encounter it, it appears to have powers.

As such, I am entering into communications with the Vedek Council, to inform them of the presence of a possible orb, and request instructions from them on how to proceed.

I respectfully request that 38th Command takes steps to ensure that this object does not disappear before formal diplomatic instructions can be issued. I am sure that the Bajoran Government will be very happy to pay Mr Hawkins a significant finder’s fee, if this does turn out to be a genuine orb.

//SIGNED//
CAPT Bahieh Keexa
Commanding Officer,
USS Invictus

3 Likes

To: KAI Opaka, S
CC: 38th Fleet Command
Subj: Possible Orb aboard DS13

Your Holiness

Several days ago, a human with an exceptionally chequered past turned up on DS13, in possession of an Orb, or a particularly good fake of one. He has since spent a significant amount of time preaching in and around the off-duty areas of DS13. His theological bent appears to be at least consistent with standard bajoran theology, which does not rule in or out it being a fake. The human in question is not someone I would trust with my personal effects, but does at least appear somewhat consistent with a prior incident.

During the time The Emissary commanded Terok Nor, the then-Grand Nagus of the Ferengi Union, Zek, encountered an Orb, and decided to use it to speak to the Prophets. They were somewhat unhappy at how venal and grasping he was, and decided to regress him to a prior era of ferengi culture, where the Ferengi were charitable and generous.

Until I can access the Orb myself, or gain access to it for a Prylar, this is, of course, conjecture. However, it does appear consistent with the prior event, of a venal, grasping person appearing to change personality significantly after attempting to use an Orb.

I have the honour to profess myself with the most profound respect, Your Holiness’ most obedient and humble servant, and that of the Prophets.

//SIGNED//
Bahieh Keexa
Commanding Officer,
USS Invictus
38th Fleet, Starfleet
Aldebaran Sector

//ATTACHMENT// filename.ext

2 Likes

To: CAPT Bahieh, K
CC: ~~
Subj: RE: Possible Orb aboard DS13 - Request #359982

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.

Thank you CAPT Bahieh, K for writing to the Kai’s office. Due to the influx of messages, your letter will be redirected to a member of the Kai’s staff.

Your letter has been flagged as:

ORB DISCOVERIES - ALLEGED AND COUNTERFIET

Did we categorise your message correctly? If not, please message <kai_emailcategories> quoting your request number in the heading.

May you walk with the Prophets.

To: Jolpa, L
Subj: FW: Possible Orb aboard DS13 - Request #359982

Hey Jolpa,

Got another fake orb request here.

Have at it.

//SIGNED//
Temin Beso
Messaging Director - Department of Orb Discoveries
Bajor

To: Temin, B
Subj: RE: FW: Possible Orb aboard DS13 - Request #359982

Does it have to be me? I was going on holiday tomorrow.

//SIGNED//
Jolpa Lemin
Handler - Department of Orb Discoveries
Bajor

To: Jolpa, L
Subj: RE: FW: Possible Orb aboard DS13 - Request #359982

You were? Oh, what a coincidence. That must have slipped my mind.

//SIGNED//
Temin Beso
Messaging Director - Department of Orb Discoveries
Bajor

To: Nolan, R
Subj: FW: RE: RE: FW: Possible Orb aboard DS13 - Request #359982

Nolan,

Some orb on some deep space station. Contact the ambassador or the station or someone?

//SIGNED//
Jolpa Lemin
Handler - Department of Orb Discoveries
Bajor

To: CAPT Varley, L (@Lauren)
CC: CAPT Bahieh, K (@Bahieh)
Subj: Possible Orb aboard DS13 - Request #359982

Captain Varley,

We have received notification of a potential orb above your station? Could you please take it to a member of the local Bajoran religious institution for verification?

Have a nice day!

//SIGNED//
Nolan Resut
Responder, Aldebaran Sector - Department of Orb Discoveries
Bajor

3 Likes

To: CAPT Bahiah, K.
CC:
Subj: Re: Orb in possession of Mr Henry Hawkins

Captain,

While I appreciate the potential significance of this discovery, I simply don’t have the time to personally investigate every case of a trader claiming to posess a valuable artifact aboard Deep Space 13. My security teams have told me this Mr. Hawkins is not causing a disruption, and indeed it appears some of our residents have chosen to quietly join him for whatever it is he thinks he’s doing.

That being said, I have no qualms with you investigating the issue on your own time. But for the record, I seriously doubt he has a real Orb of the Prophets.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lauren Varley
Commanding Officer, Deep Space 13
38th Fleet ‘Argo’

2 Likes

To: CAPT Varley, L (@Lauren)
Subj: RE: Possible Orb aboard DS13 - Request #359982

Hello Captain Varley!

The Kai has been looking at the reports coming from DS13 and she very much believes that the orb in your possession could very much be a true Orb of the Prophets. We would like it if you could send it to Bajor as soon as possible for study. We understand that you have probably wanted to study it, but with artefacts such as this, both religious and scientific study are needed together. If you are worried that proper study will not be carried out, please rest assured that, until released by Starfleet, the orb will remain on DS9 for study; the proximity of DS9 to Bajor is such that the Kai can visit without having to travel far.

We can provide transport for the Orb, if you would like. The Kai may accompany the vessel if you choose this route.

Looking forward to hearing back from you,

//SIGNED//
Nolan Resut
Responder, Aldebaran Sector - Department of Orb Discoveries
Bajor

2 Likes

To: Nolan, R.
CC:
Subj: Re: Re: Possible Orb aboard DS13 - Request #359982

Mister Nolan Resut,

The artifact of one Henry Hawkins has been contained in one of our science labs with Mr. Hawkins’ consent (I would note that the artifact is still his personal property) for nearly a month now. We have performed significant scientific study of the artifact and have not found conclusive evidence to suggest that it is a true Orb of the Prophets, but we have discerned that the artifact posseses significant psionic abilities that we have yet to understand fully.

Our facilities on Deep Space Thirteen are superior to Deep Space Nine’s, and given that the artifact has demonstrated an ability to relocate itself instantaneously I strongly advise against attempting to move it at this time.

The Kai is of course welcome to schedule a visit, though I would note we have our own Bajoran religious assembly onboard who could surely examine the artifact and report back to her.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lauren Varley
Commanding Officer, Deep Space 13
38th Fleet ‘Argo’

3 Likes