Personal Log: Sedai, Katriel

Chapter 4: Wooden Crosses

---- // MESSAGE ORIGIN: Deep Space 13.
AUDIO ONLY. SIGNED: Sedai, Katriel // ----

Hey. I know you might not even be back yet, but I miss you already.

Between everything else that happened while you were here… you are just so… completely distracting, I realized I forgot to tell you about the ending to the holonovel which … well, I was surprised by the direction it took, I suppose.

First the less surprising part. Karl and Anna managed to get back to the farm just after the town endures an assault from the Bajorans, an effort to force the Cardassians to give up their occupation. It’s a successful attack, but Karl is horrified at the bombarded state of the farm. Him and Anna are separated as they comb through the ruins, looking for signs of Karl’s family. Eventually he locates them in a basement, surrounded by rubble, unharmed, but trapped and unable to free themselves. Karl nearly breaks his own neck in trying to reach them, but with Anna’s help, the two are recovered and the family’s finally reunited.

Almost.

On the other side of the war, Emile and Dedier have been assigned to a front where the Cardassians are seriously entrenched and have been holding for months already, but the Bajorans considered the land to be symbolically important to take back, so here was their attempt at launching an offensive.

But they were completely outgunned and undermanned. The Cardassians’s position was too well fortified and the Bajoran militia lead was essentially sending in soldiers to their deaths. Dedier and Emile press on nonetheless and make progress, but many of their colleagues are falling and there were … corpses everywhere.

I suppose I don’t really need that level of detail. Anyway. Eventually… eventually Dedier is seriously injured as the pair of them narrowly avoid a falling shell. And despite the injury, the Bajoran General continues to demand that they press the assault. Emile, angered and frustrated by the futility of everything, he strikes out at their commanding officer and the blunt force trauma ends up killing the General. The offensive is abandoned, sparing some Bajoran lives and even Dedier’s, but Emile is arrested and awaits court martial for his crime.

I was stunned and saddened by this turn, even though… well. Emile is my favorite character easily, you know? I even said how much I related to what he was thinking and feeling and then… this. In the end, he’s found guilty and is sentenced to death. After his execution, he’s buried on a hill with hundreds of other Bajoran soldiers and the holonovel ends with all the other characters mourning at his grave.

I know, I know. I need to find a comedy holonovel after this one, for sure. As if the actual war is not taking enough of an emotional toll, I really shouldn’t be filling my spare time with this as well.

Ah, poor Emile.

Anyway, um. Thank you for … everything yesterday. Even… even your greeting. ::she laughs just a little:: You… you really know how to make up for the long absences. I think I’ll take the stars to my office, but despite how nice the drawing turned out, I think I’m more comfortable just keeping it in my quarters. And I’m just going to hide the gnome sketch under a stack of books somewhere.

Just teasing. Probably.

Stay safe, Matt. Comm me when you’re free, okay?

And don’t show that video to Chaze and the others! I’m serious!

---- // END MESSAGE // ----

6 Likes

Katriel lay on her stomach, sprawled on the floor, totally relaxed as she pondered her next move.

Brian sat more reservedly upright, his back against an armchair as he waited. The two Sedai siblings were gathered on the floor, their attention focused on a faux wood-grain board, where a multitude of photonic, circular chips of black and white were scattered in no discernible pattern. At least, not to the untrained eye.

The counselor extended her hand and pointed at an intersection on the lined grid of the board and a black chip materialized at the spot. Her brother sat forward at the play, making no indication of disappointment or glee or otherwise, and considered his options.

“You were pretty quiet at dinner,” he opined casually after a moment, still watching the board.

“Aren’t I always? You had all your colleagues there.” She didn’t sound offended by the observation, just matter-of-fact.

“Yeah, and they’re always curious about my sister that I talk about all the time, but they don’t ever get to meet her. Then they DO meet her and it’s like they didn’t actually, because she’s as quiet as a ghost the whole time.” Brian reached out and put a white token down.

“Sorry,” Katriel said, now her tone seemed a bit abashed. “I can’t help it.”

“I know,” Brian relented. “I’m not really upset. Anything you want to talk about though?”

“No, I’m okay,” was her slightly absent answer, as she studied the pieces on the board. And being in physically close proximity for the first time in a while, Brian could feel she wasn’t lying. This time.

“All right.” He let it go. He sure missed having this ability to check over comms.

Katriel’s unexpected jaunt to Sol System had put her in hailing range of the U.S.S. Sirocco where Brian was posted, so she had begged a few hours from Captain Perim to visit. Though surprised, the Betazoid botanist was pleased to see her and they spent a while catching up, before sitting through a pleasant dinner in the Sirocco’s main lounge.

Now, as they awaited for Katriel’s ride to return for her, they passed the time in Brian’s quarters playing abstract strategy games, something they used to do often as kids. When facing off in person, it made for an excellent exercise in selectively reading and bluffing for the other telepath. These things just weren’t the same over subspace.

“I’ve been playing more strategy games with officers on station,” she offered in the way of conversation.

“Oh?”

“Yes, but they’re those newer ones on PADDs, usually about building cities or collecting things.” Katriel lay another black chip on the board.

“Oh, pfft. I hate those. There’re too many pieces, too many rules. Takes like an hour just to learn how to play and longer to get any good.” Brian’s finger traced a random pattern in the air as he recalled the last several moves, attempting to divine how this last one fit in.

“I kind of like them,” Katriel temporized. “They’re systems.”

He grunted a bit as he reached forward to played a white token. “Systems with dozens upon dozens of variables and permutations. No two games are the same.”

“Like people,” was Katriel’s absent-minded response as she started to inspect the board. Brian watched her, a bit bemused.

“Like people,” he agreed quietly. “Do your patients know that you think of them as ‘systems’?” he wanted to know.

“Don’t know?” The counselor hummed a bit as she calculated possibly plays in her mind. “Even if they did, I hope they’d kind of agree. If they weren’t systems with predictable behavioral patterns and potential outcomes, then how could I ever hope to help anyone?”

“I’ll just stick to botany, thanks,” he said.

“You love it,” she answered, taking her turn. “That’s the reason to stay in it, not because you’d be terrible at something else.”

“Do you love counseling?” Brian promptly shot back, for a moment, more interested in her answer than the game.

Katriel hesitated for a long moment, before looking up to meet his gaze. “Most days.”

Another truthful answer. “You’re such an enigma sometimes.”

“I know,” she said, with self-deprecating humor. “I’m a huge hypocrite.”

Lieutenant Commander Sedai, please report to transporter room one.

The two Sedai siblings scrambled to their feet. “I was winning,” Brian stated, as Katriel collected her duffel.

“You were not,” she rejoined, slinging the pack over one shoulder and coming in to hug him gently. Brian returned the squeeze before letting her go. The two of them headed at a brisk pace to the transporter room in relative silence, the busy corridors of the vessel were not really a great venue for conversation.

But once they reached the transporter room, Brian couldn’t quite resist one last jibe as she boarded the pad. “When’m I going to get to meet Matt? Gonna bring him home this solstice, maybe?”

Katriel pursed her lips at the pointed reminder that she hadn’t saved enough vacation days last year to go home for the holidays. “Umm, maybe.”

Oh, finally, Brian felt it. A lie. Or at least, not a full truth.

The reassurance that he could still detect the difference with her overrode any disappointment in the answer she gave. He shook his head with mild exasperation and Katriel smiled a bit, knowingly. Her waving goodbye at him was the last exchange as she was transported out.

((Backdated by, like, a day.))

5 Likes

In the darkness, she lay in wait.

It had been almost an entire half moon cycle since she was moved to this new jungle locale, smaller than the one she had staked out previously. It was territory that she was forced to share with the Little Sister who was occasionally fun to play with, but not much of a challenge. Little Sister preferred those strange false prey rags anyway, which seemed completely nonsensical to her. What point is there in the chase if the victim does not flee?

Fortunately, there was one other who stalked the same territory, a much worthier sort of prey, large and intimidating. A genuine challenge for her hunting skills. Thus far she had managed to score a pawful of victories against the Creature, but not yet had any of them been lethal blows.

Tonight, though, she was positive. This would be the night of her greatest victory.

So she waited and waited, patiently, silently, like the most masterful of hunters. Little Sister came by her hiding place at least twice, but she ignored the temptation to follow or chase. She had much larger fish to fry, after all.

Finally she could feel the vibrations of footsteps approaching in the corridor and when that strange snakelike noise sounded, the shadow of the Creature fell onto the gray-blue floor and she readied herself to strike.

There was a flash of white as something fell to the floor in front of her and she shot out from behind the cabinet to pounce on the hapless victim, her momentum carrying her into half a tumble as she sank her claws into the soft fabric and wrestled her foe into submission. Finally the adversary was defeated and she sat up, licking her paw in satisfaction for the flawless kill.

Katriel stood and stared down at the destroyed remains of a cat toy with bemusement, then at the grooming Lunarian Caracal a couple feet away.

“Neema is going to need to replicate a whole army of these to keep you happy.”

10 Likes

“Ready?”

“Yes.”

“Okay. Three… two… one… go!”

There was a crackling of wrapping paper being ripped and undone, as the two Sedai siblings unwrapped their practically identical-looking gifts. The two of them had been unable to coordinate a meeting this year’s end, so tonight they had settled for a video comm call to catch up and chat and open their gifts from their parents.

These were unfortunately almost always fairly predictable. Katriel almost laughed as she uncovered a heavy textbook. “‘Oscillations in Neural Systems’,” she read aloud. “At least it’s not a medical text this time.”

“‘Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences, Volume Four’,” Brian recited the title of his, turning his voice sarcastic with false cheer on the followup. “Great. It’s just what I always wanted.”

“Are you sure you didn’t already read that in your third year at the Academy?” she queried.

“I’m sure I didn’t. Mostly because I don’t think I actually read any of my textbooks at the Academy,” was his steadfast rejoinder. Katriel scoffed a bit, but any response she might have had was forgotten as Fairy leapt out of nowhere to tackle the discarded wrapping paper bits with the ferocity of a jackal mastiff. The feline tumbled about before settling flat on the largest section of discarded paper and started nibbling on the corner.

“Fairy,” the counselor chided, reaching forward to pry the cat away from the makeshift paper meal. She bundled the discarded wrapping paper together and took it promptly to the replicator to recycle. May as well get a drink while I’m here, she thought, pulling a mostly white mug off the shelf and setting the replicator up to fill it with cider.

Brian was paging through his textbook when she came back and settled in her chair again. He glanced up as she sat again and clapped the textbook shut, shoving it offscreen carelessly. His gaze squinted as he stared at Katriel through the screen. “… What does your mug say?”

“Oh… heh.” She carefully moved her fingers out of the way of the printed text, leaning forward so the mug would appear larger on screen for him. Brian’s expression cleared and turned a bit more delighted.

“‘My therapist has whiskers.’ Hah! Where’d you get that?”

“It was a gift,” Katriel answered, sheepishly, leaning back in her armchair as she watched her black-furred feline friend circle around on the floor below.

“That’s wild. From a patient?”

She shook her head, but she was smiling vaguely as she brought the mug up for a sip. “Not really, just a friend.”

“Yeah?” Brian stretched out on his couch, leaning back with his arms behind his head. “What else have you gotten this year?”

Katriel hummed as she tried to recall. In the meantime, Fairy decided to interpret her owner’s lean back as an invitation, leaping up with that effortless feline grace and sitting promptly in the Betazoid’s crosslegged lap. “I received a… year’s subscription to the Federation Choice Holonovels Library, through the gift exchange. This mug. A very large Andorian tapestry–”

“Another one?” Her brother looked miffed. He’d still never found another copy of the original Andorian tapestry that he’d gifted to his sister, that had been destroyed. Perhaps it was no longer in print. “Was it the old parable?”

“No, a new one, short but sweet,” she clarified. She allowed the curious cat to sniff at the contents of her mug for a few seconds, but the creature wasn’t interested enough to actually try a sip (not that Katriel would permit it) and eventually turned her focus into preparing for a nap. “Umm. Coby gave me this wooden box with a really ornately carved lid. I might use it for a candy tray, I suppose.”

Brian sounded skeptical. “Since when do you eat candy? Besides chocolate?”

“I also received a very elegant Vulcan tea set,” Katriel just barreled on heedlessly. “For brewing and two matching glasses. Looks like it was made of some pearlesque material. Along with a large supply of tea from all over the galaxy.”

“Vulcan? Are they trying to tell you something?” He couldn’t resist the tease. “Who was that from?”

“… actually, I’m really not sure,” she answered slowly, casting a brief glance over towards the door of her quarters. “You remember last year how I received that neural spectral device, delivered anonymously to my door? In a blue-wrapped box.”

“Um. Kinda, yeah?”

“So the tea set came the same way. Not through the exchange, just delivered through a paid mail service, no sender or tracking info. Also in a blue-wrapped box. I feel like I should be a bit more disturbed, but both gifts have just been really nice,” she admitted.

“I wouldn’t turn down a free tea set and I don’t even like tea that much,” Brian noted.

Katriel’s lips quirked to one side. “And let’s see… some glass figurines. One of the station, a couple others of various animals. And…” she paused for a moment. “This … I left it in my office, because it looked kind of breakable and you know how Fairy can be, but it’s an art piece. Like a little Milky Way in a bottle? Really pretty. Very startling gift.”

“Why’s that?”

The counselor shifted in her seat. “Just really wasn’t expecting a gift from the person it was from. I was a bit… well, myself… with her. Once.” She shrugged a little, expression marginally rueful but unapologetic.

Brian had to consider for a moment. “Guessing you mean you couldn’t quite stop yourself from lecturing her on something stupid you think she did.”

The younger Sedai pursed her lips. “I couldn’t help it. I was disappointed. She seemed really promising when she first transferred here and we were getting along all right prior to that. Then…” her shoulders lifted in a shrug. “I don’t know.” Katriel used the excuse of drinking from her mug to avoid further explanation.

The other hummed in thought. “Well, okay. So what did Matt get you, then?”

Katriel made sure to swallow her drink of cider first. “How do you know he didn’t get me the tapestry?”

“Because he got you the other one and I’D be disappointed in him if he was as predictable as that,” Brian pointed out with some mild exasperation. “What was it?”

“… An atom,” she responded after a prolonged moment.

“An atom,” Brian repeated with no minor amount of confusion. “That must have been a pain to wrap.”

“From a nebula,” she added.

“From a… oh. Pfeh,” He made a rude noise as he rolled his eyes. “Stars on toast, do NOT start going on about Barthalla again, I swear. You two are really – be-boop – gah!”

He had been shaking his head in disgust when Katriel heard his comm badge’s alert sound and she smirked into her mug as she watched him haul himself off the couch and move off screen. He paced back into view a moment or two later, an apologetic expression painted on his face. “They need me in lab three. We can pick up again later, yeah?”

“Yeah, of course,” she responded comfortably. “Happy Solstice, Brian.”

“Happy Solstice, Owl.”

((Textbook titles shamelessly stolen from examples on Amazon. Never read them. They might be good!))

8 Likes

Grief unfolds like a flower
and will not be rushed.
- unknown author

The rain came down in torrents. Soaked to the bone and freezing, he trudged through the cold and the wet, feeling the frost crystallizing on his bare feet, turning his toes numb. Unable to see more than a meter in any direction, every whispering noise was unfamiliar and made his spine prickle. He’d turn to vocalize his upset, only to see nothing as the source, just the vapor of fog that vanished in the black.

What am I looking for?

His gaze dropped downward and studied the landscape of a myriad puddles, stretching out like dark mirrors, their reflections chaotic as the surfaces rippled from the sky’s deluge. He stared into the one closest as a shock of white streaked across like a soundless bolt of lightning. The vision galvanized him into motion and he fell on all fours at the edge of the errant puddle, breath hitching in hope of stealing another glimpse of whatever it had been.

Anything but this endless dark.

In his misery, he had not really expected to succeed, but suddenly it was in his view. Wide-eyed he stared at a quivering image of what he wanted most, every nerve in his taxed body on fire from the realized epiphany. The desire to reach was voracious, yet he could not make himself eat.

This is as close as I will ever be again.

She came awake.

The insistent pounding of the downpour gave way to the subdued humming of a station deck. Katriel’s eyes blinked open to the sight of her bed mate’s still closed, his breathing easy and untroubled. For a brief eternity, she simply watched him, feeling her own vitals gradually relaxing with each tick of time that distanced her from the emotional snare of another person’s nightmare. But whose?

She studied Matt’s sleeping countenance with as much impersonal awareness as she could muster in her still sleep-fogged state. He certainly didn’t seem like he was confronting any dark dreams, but her apprehension was already piqued. After a moment’s hesitation, she reached her hand out from under the covers and gingerly set it on his open palm. Touch wasn’t necessary for a Betazoid to make use of her abilities, but she couldn’t quite resist the gesture as she sought out his unconscious state of mind.

He bobbed a little, up and down, floating serenely on his back in the warm waters of a tropical lagoon. Spanned above him was a dark blue sky dotted with thousands of stars and permeated by gas nebulas that stretched from one horizon to the other. The bright yellow sun, center in the sky, did not dampen his view of the universe behind it. From a short distance away, he could make out the sound of the mellow lapping of waves on a sandy beach. Farther off, the crashes of the ocean surf on the rocky shoals of the atoll surrounding him.

The waters here were calm and warm and oh so clear. He turned his head to the side, submerging his face in liquid. For hundreds of meters in every direction he could see fish swimming across brilliantly colored coral. A turtle rose slowly from the bottom, gently breaching the lagoon’s surface and continued to glide away into the sky above as casually as it had swam in the water below.

He turned his head back and a deep breath through his nose filled his senses with that of the salty sea, with fringes of vanilla, evergreen and freshly-washed linen. The slightest of waves sent a dash of water across his face and he shut his eyes in reaction. When they opened again, he was staring up at the same dark blue sky as several white clouds floated into view. He raised a hand and, index finger outstretched, traced out the shape of a parrot fish in the cloud. It held still a moment before taking life and swimming away. Next he outlined a simple sailboat, which he nudged gently into drifting off towards the horizon of his vision.

More cloud shapes followed. A pumpkin, with a cheerful smiling face. Another fish, larger this time, a muskie from back home. A bear that seemed to stare at him first, then the sky, before it got to its cloudy white feet and plodded off.

She pulled back her mental presence, relief skittering through her veins, tempered by a vague amusement at the scene she had left. But there was a lingering regret as she shifted slightly so that she could raise her eyes to the ceiling, wondering silently at whose suffering she had unintentionally witnessed.

Despair seeped into her, for the grieving soul locked away in his own sort of prison. Guilt followed soon after, for the uncomfortable decision she had already chosen to make in not seeking the individual out. She had learned long ago that her ability to help others was limited, so she had to choose her battles wisely and wandering the corridors of Magellan station to look for a stranger in the middle of the night did not qualify. She tried to clear her mind for sleep again.

They were all prisoners in the same way, she supposed resignedly. Every individual possessed of an all-encompassing consciousness rivaling and equaling that of any other, all still unable to comprehend the full nuance of a life as experienced by someone else. But sometimes it was possible to synchronize with one another, to break through the thin film of cognitive isolation with flashes of shared experience and feeling. Sometimes her extraordinary empathy was even enough by itself to create a connection and the craved relief that accompanied it. Many other times, though, it wasn’t. Whoever it was, wherever they were, she hoped that –

Her mind quieted suddenly as Matt’s unconscious fingers insistently threaded through hers, leaving their hands gently clasped. Her breathing slowed as she forgot the feeling of the cold.

Grounded in the moment, she slept.

((Backdated by one … and a half days.))

10 Likes

The sea is everything … It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely,
for he feels life stirring on all sides … It is the Living Infinite.
- Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea

“Hey, uh… Lieutenant Commander? Sedai, right?”

Katriel glanced over from her perch at the window seat. She held a PADD absently in her hand, but had long stopped reading its contents, finding the underwater view outside to be far more compelling. Even if it was also… the only view.

“Yes?” She asked in reply, looking at the speaker, the human male scientist from the survey team. Pecher was his name, she thought she remembered.

“You want to join us?” His smile was one part uncertain, one part hopeful, and one part encouraging.

“… for… cards?” Katriel blinked at the unexpected invitation.

“You may as well say yes,” rumbled the Bolian at the table. Hig Umvor, chief scientist on the survey team and significantly recovered from his skirmish with the mercenaries, was shuffling the deck as he looked in her direction. “He’s not going to stop nagging you until you do.”

Pecher grinned abruptly in tacit agreement, while Katriel looked skeptical. “I’m Betazoid, I’ll be able to tell what all your cards are.”

The human was completely undeterred. In fact, he seemed even more excited somehow. “Even better! I’ve always wanted to play against a Betazoid. Really test my poker face, you know?”

Reluctantly, Katriel set her PADD down and climbed to her feet, crossing the small space to take the fourth seat at the table. Her eyes caught on the pile of glinting circular tokens that Tuziar, the engineering Benzite, passed to her. “What are these?”

“Your chips!” he responded.

“Did you replicate these?” Katriel picked up one of the ‘chips’ in curiosity. Roughly circular and slightly concaved, the item was no bigger than a few centimeters in diameter and fit easily in the center of her palm. Likely a shell of some sort, she guessed, with the rough external side while the curved internal surface was polished smooth and vividly multihued. On top of that, Katriel could make out the skeletal imprint of a six-limbed star shape.

“Nah. That’s Kelterre specimen number eight. Or, at least, the remains of it,” Pecher noted aloud when he saw Katriel tracing out the star shape in the shell. He snickered as Katriel fumbled the shell in surprise. “Well, they all are.” He gestured to all their little piles of shells. “Not sure how familiar you are with Earth animalia, but they’re kind of like a cross between sand dollars and starfish. Though with way shorter lifespans.”

“You should have seen us,” Tuziar chimed in, as he obligingly cut the deck when Umvor offered it to him. “Collecting them one by one, methodically organizing and categorizing them, thought they were special and unique. Then we come in one morning after the tide goes out and they are literally everywhere. Couldn’t take a step in any direction without crunching down on the lot of them.” His tone was self-deprecating. “Stopped treating them like glass after that. Always more where that came from.”

Katriel shook her head, bemused. She picked up the pair of cards that were dealt to her, taking a brief look at the numbers and suits, before laying them flat again. She kept a straight face as a ripple of nervousness passed through her. Naturally she was familiar with the rules and how to play, but admittedly it wasn’t a pastime she indulged in often. Who wants to play poker with a Betazoid, after all?

“So Sedai,” Tuziar started speaking again as the rest of them checked their cards. “Did I hear the ah… Captain Perim, was it? She was calling you counselor over the comm, is that right?”

“Yes, you heard right,” Katriel confirmed, watching as Umvor laid down the first three community cards.

“Is that the legislative kind of councilor or the psychology kind?” Umvor inquired.

The question made Katriel smile for some reason. “The psychology kind. I’m a counselor on Deep Space 13, as part of the station staff.”

“Tough gig,” Pecher commented. “I’d never want that job.”

“Yes, people keep telling me that,” was Katriel’s slightly dry and amused rejoinder. “And yet the apparent unpopularity of my work has not convinced Captain Perim to give me a raise.”

“If you’re starbase staff, how did you end up on the Asimov with the investigation team?” Tuziar wanted to know after they placed their initial bets.

“We’re encouraged to occasionally volunteer for available away missions,” the Betazoid responded, eyeing the new community card as it came down and trying her best to ignore the inevitable emotional tells she could feel from the others in reaction. “It’s a good way to get out of our usual environment and pick up some new experience, without transferring out of our positions. I have a medical degree in internal medicine, so I can fill that role when necessary, since emergency field therapy is not really a thing.”

Pecher made a rude noise. “Bet you’re sorry you volunteered for this particular mission now, though, yeah? Almost drowned and then got stuck down here with us.”

“I admit it wasn’t what I expected,” Katriel temporized, before smiling faintly. “But I’m mostly relieved that we’re safe and currently in no danger. When the tide recedes, the Asimov team will be back to get us free, I’m sure. I’ve been through worse situations.”

“Hope so,” Pecher grumped.

Umvor placed the last community card face up and Katriel schooled her expression as best she could. Her best was a two pair with three of the community cards and an eight of hearts in hand. Not exceptionally strong, but better than Pecher who she was (literally) willing to bet had nothing and Tuziar had folded in the previous round. That left Umvor, who was a great deal harder to read than his younger teammates. The three of them placed their final bets as Tuziar watched on with interest.

“All right, show hands,” Umvor directed.

Pecher turned his hand up first, already looking abashed as he did so. “I missed the flush by one card!”

That set Tuziar cackling with glee. “Really testing out that poker face, huh?”

Katriel turned her hand over. “Queens and eights.”

“I also have queens and eights,” Umvor noted, turning his own pair of cards over. Katriel started at the unlikely reveal. “But I also have the higher kicker, ten to your four.” Pecher sat back in his seat, sighing explosively, as Umvor pulled the pot of chips into his own pile.

“Umvor won again?” asked a voice from the doorway of the main compartment. Jacaalo Shyrid stepped in, an older Bajoran woman and research scientist. “Even against the Betazoid?”

“Apparently empathy isn’t everything,” Katriel noted, her tone bemused. “Is it my shift now?”

“Yes, I’m sorry,” Jacaalo smiled in response as she came over to the table, to inspect the recent card game.

“Not at all, you can take my place in cards. Hopefully I’m a better comms operator than I am card player,” Katriel deadpanned as she vacated the seat. “Thank you for the game, gentlemen. It was educational.”

The others replied with polite ‘welcomes’ as she headed out to the main compartment for her watch.

((After Action Report: Kelterre II and Event Transcript))

12 Likes

“So what’s new in your stretch of the stars?”

Katriel sat back against the chair, her head tilted flush with the headrest, which left her naturally staring at the ceiling.

“Not a… whole lot,” she replied, thinking over recent events. “Business as usual mostly, almost quiet even. Few new assistant department heads were selected, for ops, security, and medical.”

Her brother sat on a footstool on the vidscreen, a guitar settled in his lap that he plucked at quietly. “Anyone I know?”

“Don’t think so. There was also …” she paused, then changed her mind about what she was going to say. “Probably the most interesting thing has been these psych and neuroscience teams from Sol that’ve come looking for assistance in scoping out some research projects. Have been helping them a bit… or a lot, I suppose.”

“Yeah? Sounds just up your alley.”

“Maybe.” They sat in companionable silence for a few moments while he strummed a couple idle chords. Katriel sat up after a while and reached over to a decorative tray sitting on the table, picking out one of the foil-wrapped items collected within. He watched her unwrap the morsel of dark chocolate and pop it into her mouth.

Then she smoothed out the creases in the foil wrapper to read the text that was printed on its interior. A sort of fortune-cookie-chocolate. “Laughter is the shortest distance between two people,” she read aloud.

“Oh, that’s a good one,” Brian remarked.

Katriel swallowed the chocolate bit before responding. “Surprisingly so.”

Another beat of silence passed before Brian frowned abruptly and halted his playing, his palm coming flat against the strings to cease any remaining vibration. “Are you all right? You’ve been really terse all night.”

The counselor sat paused, her expression unchanging, neither guilty nor surprised. After a few moments, she responded, “I honestly don’t know.”

“Nothing’s happened? Getting along with everyone?” her brother pressed.

“Yes, I… everything seems fine. I had a good evening, been passing time with Coby and Neema and work is normal, no disasters. I just…” her tone was edged with some frustration.

“What?”

“I just… feel a bit… disconnected, I guess. Detached. I don’t know why.” She shook her head, refusing to look at the vidscreen, where Brian’s brow was furrowed with concern. He expelled a noisy breath after a while.

“Could it be someone around you?” he asked.

“… Oh.” Katriel visibly digested the suggestion. “I … don’t know? I suppose it’s possible.” She sounded unsure and met her sibling’s gaze.

He watched her for a few moments more. “Just as long as it passes.”

“I know.”

6 Likes

The only rules that matter are these.

---- // MESSAGE ORIGIN: Deep Space 13.
AUDIO ONLY. SIGNED: Sedai, Katriel // ----

Hey, it’s me. I’m… sorry I missed your call earlier, the meeting with the neuroscience team went a bit long, unfortunately.

::her voice seems to get a shade quieter and then louder again at random intervals. She might be moving from room to room in her quarters, causing the computer to seamlessly switch audio input sources periodically to compensate::

First things first. Yes, Neema returned to station earlier this afternoon, safe and sound. We spoke briefly in the evening and she seemed mostly unhurt and largely unchanged by her experience, so that is a relief at least.

::there’s the sound of drawers rolling open, as well as rustling fabric. The same drawers rolling shut not long after::

Terix has been the dominant topic of conversation for the past several days. I’m not very… good? … at interstellar politics, so while I have paid some attention to the broader strokes of development, I find myself to be frustratingly ambivalent about what should be done about it all. ::her tone turns rueful:: Command really just isn’t for me.

Neema privately admitted a likewise uncertainty, but at least she seems prepared to commit to particular courses of action. She’s been trying very hard to balance the order of the Prime Directive against the chaos of those who would provoke us to bypassing it. Just like a leader should.

::there’s a very long pause. When she starts again, her voice is slow and ponderous at first, like she’s still formulating her upcoming thoughts::

The other day. There was this … unrelated incident on the promenade level. I was climbing the ramp to the Cantina and noticed that there were several officers standing around, verbally taking this cadet to task for sitting on the bridge on the promenade.

You know the one I’m talking about, of course… the aesthetically pleasing but moderately perilous walkway to the promenade conference room? Yes, that one. Not really certain who designed it, but it wouldn’t be the first time basic safety principles have been ignored in favor of architectural elegance and I’m sure it won’t be the last.

::there are some muted beeping noises. The sound of a replicator humming to life to complete an order::

In any case, one of the DS13 cadets loves to perch on the edge of it, legs hanging, like off a fishing dock. Though there is no written regulation against it, I have observed countless officers stop to verbally reprimand him for it. Even I admit that I paused next to him, the first time I noticed, to question him on whether or not it was really a good idea to be sitting that way.

Most of the officer concerns hinge on whether or not it’s safe for him to be sitting like that and, failing that, how preventable the potential inconvenience would be to the other officers who would be saddled with the obligation of assisting him in case he should fall. They’re not wrong, of course. The cadet is playing with risk; that is an undisputed fact.

But… how much risk, exactly?

::a short pause, filled with additional beeping noises of another replicator order going through::

Cadet Stern is easily one of the most, if not the most, responsible cadet in our current cadre, with a work ethic that rivals officers many years older. He’s been engaging in this seating habit ever since he arrived and I have never so much as seen him teeter off balance in the entire time. In my view, given the evidence, I feel that the risk is minimal at best.

Of course no amount of caution will completely eliminate the possibility of an accident, but if zero chance of failure was the only acceptable outcome when deciding on a course of action, we’d never accomplish anything. And really, no one should live their life restricted by just the possibility of failure, especially if said possibility is objectively determined to be small or nearly negligent.

::another short pause in which there is a faintly audible felinoid purring, followed by the muted thud of a small metallic plate being set on the windowsill::

If the cadet has assessed the chances of a negative outcome to be small enough that the activity is worth engaging in, then the truth is that none of us have much grounds to argue with him otherwise. At least, not as long as he’s accurately assessed that risk. He might be pushing at the boundary of this unwritten rule that the rest of us seem to hold in high esteem, but until the day he actually falls, he is not harming anyone else through his choice and may never actually do so.

::she sighs and there’s the sound of her settling heavily into the cushions of an armchair::

As it turns out, though… the real risk entailed in the cadet’s actions is not in the possibility that he’ll fall and hurt himself, or that he chances inconveniencing others in the aftermath. No, the real risk… is when another less responsible cadet sees Cadet Stern’s example and decides to follow it, without properly assessing whether or not they are capable of shouldering the same risk.

That is where things fall apart. The hypothetical imitating cadet fails, for whatever reason, to accomplish the same task safely, resulting in a number of officers who shake their heads and say ‘I told you so’, while Cadet Stern might retort stubbornly that he was not the one who fell in the end.

And so it is with all rules, I suppose. Even the ones as strongly worded as the Prime Directive. Should we… should Neema… choose to push at the boundaries and restrictions of the rules to effect a certain goal, there’s a possibility, maybe even a probability, that it might be the ‘right’ thing to do. This time.

But… it won’t always be. And somewhere down the line, there’ll be a Captain who looks back at what we’ve done and they’ll think… they chose to bend the rules, so why can’t I? Will that hypothetical future Captain remember to assess their circumstances accurately for their decision, all the variables, all the risks, all the possible consequences? Or will they blindly cite precedent and potentially hurt themself and everyone around them?

::another pause and there’s the slightly rhythmic and tinny sound of her fingernails against the ceramic of her mug::

Well, anyway. Enough rambling from me. I abhor your current training schedule, by the way, it quite plainly … sucks. And yes, you may tell Commander Donavah that I feel so.

Miss you tons. Stay safe out there.

---- // END MESSAGE // ----

11 Likes

When it rains, it pours.

13 Likes

Deliver last week’s case studies analysis to lab 2a.

Counseling department meeting.

Lunch with Ensign Caissa.

Meeting with Recreational department to finalize Risa shore leave arrangements.

Sit in on clinical trials for new anxiolytic.

Review and write up feedback notes for selected at random junior counselor reports.

Comm conference with –

The counselor’s train of thought broke off as the caracal she was jogging with halted abruptly, ears perked at apparently nothing. Katriel jerked to a stop as the pitch-black feline darted suddenly into the underbrush.

Uh-oh. Maybe it hadn’t been such a good idea to exercise the feline in the arboretum?

Katriel flinched as she heard a startled squawk, the rapid flapping noise of wingbeats, and a flurry of rustling leaves and branches. A scant breath later, an avian of some species she didn’t recognize jetted out of the topiary in a terrified retreat. It disappeared quickly out of sight into the upper branches of the surrounding trees.

Razor crept back out of the bushes with a self-satisfied saunter. The Betazoid twitched as she noticed exactly three colorful feathers poking out of the feline’s mouth. The smug feline sat on her haunches at Katriel’s feet, lowered her head and dropped the slightly bent and crooked trophies on the pavement.

“… okay, you know what? We’ll just stick to the habitat ring corridors from now on.”

11 Likes

I write this from a sandy shore
to be washed out like times before.
Where will it drift, where will it go?
Its destination I do not know.
But with it now goes my love
and her lost gaze from high above.

9 Likes

There’s beauty in the breakdown, so let go.
- Frou Frou

There’s a new scar on my heart today, left there by a stranger.
Though I can’t help but wonder: are they really so strange to me,
when I can be stirred by their pain so fluently?

Nothing I can say seems like enough. I can’t even promise
that it will get better, because I know myself that it never does.
This new hurt is yours forever.

But eventually one day, you forget that it does, just for a minute.
Then the next day, you forget for two. And so on and so on,
until the day when you forget for longer than you remember.

For now, take one day at a time,
like stepping stones across a raging river.

9 Likes

Fairy tales are more than true:
not because they tell us that dragons exist,
but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
- Neil Gaiman

Clad in her fencing whites, Katriel strode briskly down the corridor to the holodeck block. She held her helmet under her left arm as she walked, her forearms extended just enough to maneuver one synthetic glove onto her right hand. She pressed the weave in between her fingers before tugging on the glove’s wrist, cinching the material more snugly.

Periodically she would nod to a familiar looking passerby, though she didn’t exchange words with anyone. It was a bit unusual for her to be making her way towards the regular holodecks in this particular getup. But with so many engineering teams refocused on the new construction upgrades, maintenance and repair in the main starbase facilities had fallen behind. So with several gym minidecks out of order, a few others in maintenance cycles, and the rest reserved, Katriel had no choice but to book one of the main holodecks for her workout, even though they were quite a bit larger than she strictly needed.

She was in the middle of pulling on her left glove when she arrived at her reserved deck and, absently heedless of its status, she walked right in when the doors obligingly swished open…

… and she stepped straight into a sea of green. She paused with one white shoe on the carpet of vividly healthy grass and puzzled over the implications for a nanosecond before she raised her head and looked around. The holodeck is apparently already active? The air was crisp and chill and there was flora and foliage as far as she could see. A large, forboding silhouette loomed far in the distance. Some sort of castle or fortress.

Before Katriel could call up a console to check the reservation schedule, a squealed shriek sounded from around the other side of a tree, before a blazing ball of flame swooshed out of the trees and roared straight for her. The counselor reflexively lifted her arm in reaction, more to shield from the sudden blinding light than anything else, and the fireball hit the guard on her forearm. There was a brief heat and then nothing, as the fantastical spell fizzled out.

Thank you, holodeck safeties.

“OH GOODNESS, THIS ONE IS SO … SORRY …”

Katriel had to blink once, twice, three times to get her vision to clear. And yet in the end, she was still looking at the child-sized figure of a felinoid as he scrambled over a log and ran towards her.

“…sorrysorrysorry…”

He was wearing a burgundy robe and a large, elaborate witch’s hat in the same color. In his right paw-hand, he carried a wooden staff with a golden globe topping it off.

“…sorrysorrysorrysorry is lady okay this one did not mean to --”

“It’s okay, it’s okay! I’m fine,” Katriel forestalled the extraordinarily apologetic little caitian wizard. Her eyes caught on the fallen log where two other caitian cubs were climbing over, both likewise dressed in fantastic costumes. One, an archer dressed in a forest green tunic; she’d have blended right in with the forest if it wasn’t for the bright orange hood-and-cloak on her head. The other was a knight, his shining silver plate armor gleaming as he shuffled forward with an appropriately-sized toy sword and shield.

Katriel’s lips twitched at the sight. Clearly she had interrupted some sort of elaborate, medieval playdate.

“I’m not hurt,” Katriel reassured. “But I seem to have … lost my way. Who are you three?”

The archer-caitian leapt down from the log and pretended to aim her crossbow at some far away target. “This one is Katniss Everpaw, most famous archer in seven kingdoms!”

The knight-caitian raised his shield shyly, from a slight distance. “This one is Sir Clawsalot, of the Round Fishbowl.”

The wizard-caitian had overcome his anxiety about harming Katriel with his fire spell and proudly struck a pose. “And this one is all-powerful wizard, Whisker the White!”

Archer-Caitian sniffed once, looking a bit dismissive. “Not so powerful, really. Whisker not able to make staff work at start.”

‘Whisker’ rounded on ‘Everpaw’, all righteous childlike indignity. “But this one got it at the end!”

“Yeah, and almost killed someone at same time!” ‘Everpaw’ retorted.

“DID NOT!”

“DID SO!”

“DID NOT!”

“DID SO!”

Katriel was rubbing at a temple when another figure stepped in behind her. “Be quiet, noisy cubs! Who are you disturbing now?”

The betazoid turned to see a full-sized, adult caitian standing in the archway. She was, Katriel observed, not costumed, but wore a Starfleet uniform with an operations-gold stripe.

“I’m sorry,” Katriel apologized. “I thought I had booked this holodeck for my workout, but it seems I might be mistaken.”

The caitian smiled toothily in return. “Is no bother. Children, did you say hello?”

“Hellllooooo,” the cubs chorused obediently.

“Good,” was the caitian’s approving response. “Now go find dragon or there will not be enough time to slay before lunchtime.”

“Dragon!” “Yeah, must go!” “SLAAAAaaaaayyyyyy!”

Katriel watched, half astonished and half amused, as the cub trio ran off through the trees. She looked back at the other woman, whom she could only presume was the errant cubs’ guardian. The two of them consulted the holodeck’s reservation schedule which, in the end, appeared to show that the holodeck was double-booked. A display error had likely caused one of them not to see the reserved state when the other had attempted to make their own reservation.

Katriel immediately elected to bow out, however, feeling as though her need was certainly lesser in this particular situation. As she headed out of the holodeck, she paused briefly.

“Is there … really a dragon?”

The caitian’s tail twitched in amusement, gesturing with a paw to her own chest. “Is this one. Will be using holographic projection when is time.”

“Ah,” was Katriel’s richly amused response as she continued on her way. “Then I wish you a gloriously valiant death.”

“This one is very good actress, so promise it will be!”

Thanks, Skyler!

16 Likes

Two per cap.

10 Likes

Invincible.

5 Likes

A Compendium of Sh’Varanism Myths: Mirab’s Milky Way.

In the time before mortals had reached the stars, there were three friends. The demi-god Mirab was the son of a known warrior-god and was therefore destined to join the Great War of the Titans. But Mirab had spent his youth with two dear others, Narcissus and Psyche, and so when it came time for the demi-god to travel to the Veil to join the battle, the three of them went together.

They trekked over miles of road, climbed a mountain or two, then passed through the forbidden forest before finally arriving at the edge of a great river. Unlike normal rivers, this one’s currents were completely still and when one gazed into its waters, there was nothing reflected back.

“This is where we part,” Mirab said as he turned away from the water’s edge to regard his friends sadly.

“Will you return?” Psyche asked tentatively, fearful of the answer.

“I intend to,” was all Mirab could say.

The three said their goodbyes and then Mirab stepped up to the water’s edge. He took a deep breath then, with no hesitation, dove gracefully into the still surface. The water parted to accept him and the darkness swallowed him whole. Narcissus and Psyche were silent as the river’s surface calmed once again.

“He will return,” Narcissus responded with confidence, his eyes never leaving the still surface of the water.

“Even if he does, he may be so changed that things will never return to the way they were,” Psyche responded, wringing her hands.

“He will be enough the same that when he returns, we will be able to find ourselves again,” Narcissus retorted.

“Perhaps,” Psyche answered. She stood indecisively on the riverbank, while Narcissus indolently sat at the water’s edge. The two waited and waited, though Mirab had never indicated he would return soon. So intent on staring into the depths, Narcissus did not notice as the time passed and sun disappeared beyond the horizon, leaving them surrounded by darkness. Nor did he notice Psyche quietly slipping away into the forest or he might have cursed her for her capriciousness, for her lack of faith that their friend would return.

An inexorable time later, Narcissus knew not how long had passed, a hot and flaring pinprick on his bare shoulder made him yelp in pain. He looked up to see Psyche standing over him, with an oil lantern hanging from a pole in her hands and an apologetic look on her face.

“Sorry!” Psyche exclaimed, retreating a step. The lantern swayed in its cradle. Narcissus glared reproachfully as he rubbed the burning sensation out of his skin. Then he eyed the lamp with skepticism.

“What is that for?”

“For Mirab,” she explained quietly. “So he can see the way back.”

Narcissus stared at the lantern, then into the dark water below. Indeed, perhaps the lantern would be useful in guiding their friend home, he thought as Psyche carefully planted the pole into the ground, so the lantern stood freely, casting its light out onto the water’s surface. But would it be enough?

“That’s a good idea,” he said and he gathered a large, flat leaf on the ground to him. With a few swift manipulations, he had folded the bit of greenery into the shape of a boat. Psyche watched as he stole a bit of oil and flame from the lantern, barely enough for a candle, and set it boldly on his creation.

Then he set the little boat on the surface of the river and gave it a gentle push to cast it off. The leaf-boat drifted outward, a small flickering beacon in a river of darkness.

“We will light a path for him,” Narcissus spoke with reassurance as he began to fold another boat. Psyche eventually sat and joined him, and the two friends began casting boat after boat onto the river, filling it with little points of light.

To this day, the two continue to cast boats of candlelight out onto the river of the Veil, waiting for Mirab to return.

She quietly drifted awake as warmth tickled her feet. Fairy had wound her way up onto the chaise lounge and had been unsuccessfully attempting to settle herself on the betazoid’s outstretched legs. Katriel took stock of her surroundings, a PADD resting on her stomach where it had tilted over when she had prematurely fallen asleep. She turned the device on to examine what she had been reading just before, before setting it to the side and creakily rising from her languor. The little black feline verbalized a complaint at being displaced again, but the counselor just scooped up the creature and headed quietly into her bedroom. To sleep for real, this time.

“Computer, lights, please.”

be-boop.

Thanks, Davin.

13 Likes

I have been trying to keep busy. Recreationally, that is.

Now that the winter holoprogram is on, I’ve traded in some of my regular fencing hours for ice skating instead, which has been a fairly decent distraction, since it’s less solitary. Even gave a fellow fleet acquaintance some assistance in learning to skate, though he was very, very green, so he likely would have improved at the same rate without my particular advice.

I have also been engaging in more leisure games. Do you remember the lakeside holoprogram we found around Halloween? There was that entire shelf of board games and similar in the cabin there? Neema and I and another Captain (the same one who needed ice skating help; I don’t think you’ve met) went to look through their collection and we tried a new game for fun.

At least, I had fun; the other two admittedly seemed to become a bit hyperfocused on getting revenge on one another when they realized they could sabotage each others’ progress. I knew Neema was competitive, but really.

(Also, we discovered some really strange visual errors on the holoprogram. I better remember to report that after I finish writing here.)

I even let Neema drag me to one of Captain Desimone’s awful movie nights. That was … well, different. But it did get me thinking that maybe the morale division might like to do something seasonal song related. I know you teased me about caroling last year and I admit that’s not really my thing, but maybe there’s something similar that would be appropriate.

… Off to go make that report, I suppose. Miss you.

14 Likes

I received my present from the Gift Exchange earlier tonight. We are, of course, not supposed to know the identity of the gifter, but sometimes the nature of the gift is such that it ends up being a bit obvious who might be responsible. Such is the case for me, this year, apparently. I’ll admit that it’s not a terribly useful gift (to me), but I made the best of it, I think.

There was, though, also, a rather unique snowglobe included, which I love quite a bit. The snowfall looks more like a transporter beam than basic snow and the scene inside phases between three settings, like a sort of 3D slideshow. A bit hard to describe.

Do you ever have times where the same thing seems to be happening everywhere around you? Only they’re happening to different people and they’re not really the same, so there’s no way any of it is related, and yet you can’t help but notice a pattern.

I know I’ve spoken to you about Lieutenant James Kermit before. He and his girlfriend just became engaged, and Emery and I happened to be fortunate enough to witness the proposal from afar. I can’t help but smile, thinking about it. I suppose I have always felt some tiny modicum of responsibility for James, ever since he first came aboard station and crossed my path as a fresh Ensign, dazed and eager to impress. But he’s come a long way since then and though it’s really not my place, I feel proud and pleased and happy for him and the path he’s found for himself. It really seems to suit.

On the other end of the spectrum, though, it seems as though Neema and Coby have

::the letter continues on the back::

formally parted ways. She dropped in on me last night and we talked about it. She’s unhappy, but ultimately it was mutual, a shared concern that the uncertain time apart would be too taxing and unfair on both of them. I both relate and don’t, funnily enough.

We commed in for delivery from an ice cream place in the commercial zone and watched a sappy movie in my quarters. And I think she went home feeling a bit less sorry for herself as a result. I hope, anyway.

And then somewhere in between, I have acquaintances who are entangled in one of the most hopelessly confused romantic relationships I have ever seen. They seem more than a little beyond my help, to be honest. Sigh.

You and I should really visit the ice cream place when you come back. Despite the name, they do have chocolate.

15 Likes

My brother is here.

Apparently Starfleet is thinking about terraforming a planet in the Waydis system and the Sirocco was the vessel selected to come investigate and maybe lead that effort. The project itself has stalled, but in the meantime, the Sirocco is on planet scraping duty, which means Brian is basically able to visit the station every day. And if the project is approved, it means he’ll be in the area for the next half a year or maybe even longer.

Of course I find him to be a little exasperating on occasion, but mostly I’m happy and a bit relieved to have him nearby. And he seems to feel the same, about the relief part, that is.

He is also just flat out enjoying himself. The station is brand new to him and he loves to explore, so by extension, I am also finally learning more about the decks that I have never previously visited. He has also demanded to meet all of my friends and immediately volunteered to help deliver exchange gifts. I could almost be jealous of how easily he integrates himself around other people. I suppose some days I actually am.

Anyway. It’s lucky timing in general, I feel, and saves us both the trouble of taking leave to gather for the holidays. Although I suppose we both might still try to visit our parents once before the year is over… maybe.

Hope you’re doing well. Miss you, a lot.

13 Likes

Nethali Aster snores like a woolly mammoth that has swallowed a warp core.

In the end, with the Nimbosian woman fit to fall asleep right there in the hallway, Katriel felt like there was no other alternative than to bring Nethali to her own quarters for the night. The hour was too late for the counselor to feel remotely mentally prepared to fill out the necessary paperwork for ops to assign guest quarters and, after the procedure Nethali just went through, it seemed more likely than not that she would need another sentient to keep an eye on things, just in case.

It was a long walk back to her quarters. At least Nethali had been drowsing the entire time, so they were relieved of any awkward small talk. Not that Nethali did small talk.

The Betazoid shooed Fairy off the chaise lounge (she definitely wasn’t going to give up her own bed to this woman, no matter how sick) and lowered the basically unconscious woman onto it, carefully collecting and distributing her lax limbs into comfortable positions for optimal circulation. Katriel wasn’t certain what was entailed in the procedure that Doctor Pohl had initiated (she’d remedy that tomorrow), but at least there seemed some common sense steps to take. She collected a blanket and spread it over the prone woman.

No longer being forced to hobble along, Nethali had promptly fallen asleep. Katriel eyed the other woman’s sleeping countenance for a few speculative moments. Would she be hungry or thirsty? Would she want a change of clothes? Or would she chafe at the implication of weakness and run out the door the moment she woke? Maybe Katriel would come out of her bedroom in the morning and find nothing but a slightly wrinkled blanket and a puddle of vomit on her carpet?

Hopefully not.

Katriel stepped towards the replicator and quietly put in a few successive orders: a bottle of water, a packet of saltine crackers, and a plain plastic tub that would hopefully save her some carpet cleaning. Fairy had just started to inspect the interloper who had taken her sleeping space as Katriel finished arranging these items within Nethali’s easy reach, when the unconscious woman began to snore, promptly sending the feline scurrying into the bedroom.

She went to her desk and penned a short note: Feel free to replicate yourself some clothes. If you need someone to go with you to the next session, I will make time. She left this with the rest of the hospitality rations, before quietly retiring to her room with a pad of notebook paper.

“Computer, lock bedroom door, please.”

be-boop.

12 Likes