Personal Log: Sedai, Katriel

“The… situation with Isohlah is actually really bothering me.”

The two of them were sharing an armchair in one of the embassy deck’s more isolated anterooms. Matt sat comfortably reclined, his arm extended around Katriel as she was curled up against his side. They were both watching the giant fish tank and its occupants like it was the most interesting sort of television.

“Oh? How so?”

“Well, besides the fact that he’s a good friend and a boss that I’m really comfortable with… a lot of people have been expecting me to apply for his position.” Katriel recalled her conversations with Caspius, Emery, Dmitri, and a non-negligible number of departmental colleagues with consternation. Even Neema had brought it up, though she had not been surprised by Katriel’s disinterest.

“Ahhh… well, that is quite the compliment. It shows how highly they think of you and your abilities,” Matt remarked.

She was silent for a moment as she digested that. To this day, Matt continued to surprise her with his alternative, and frequently optimistic, perspective. It was always a welcome kind of startlement that often forced her to consider things in a new way. “It is a bit flattering, I suppose,” she conceded. “But … frustrating, too.”

“Because you don’t want that job.”

“Yeah, I don’t.”

Matt shifted his arm a little so he could rub her shoulder. “Are you… frustrated because you think you might be letting them down? Or that they will think less of you?”

“Both, definitely. I’m almost positive Isohlah is … a little angry at me.” Her tone had quieted in discomfort.

“I suppose it is a bit understandable. He wants his most trusted staff member to take the job. You can’t blame him for wanting that. To the same, he certainly doesn’t blame you for wanting what you want. And I’m sure he understands that. He’s a psychologist, for crying out loud.”

He smirked at the observation. Katriel chuckled weakly.

"I know. I just… I don’t like to disappoint him, but his job is so hard. There’s a constant pressure to live up to expectations and a need to balance what command wants versus what your subordinates want. There’s all these decisions you have to make and … they all have to be made immediately or soon, because someone else is probably waiting for an answer before they can do any of their own work.”

She kept going as one thought seemed to inspire another. “Often you have to deal with people who think you’re the only one who can answer their questions. Or sometimes you find out two weeks late that people who should have come to you about something didn’t and now there’s a mess to clean up.”

She paused for breath. Matt waited.

"And I don’t like how … power and authority changes the way people relate to you. Interpersonal interactions are hard enough between peers, but throw the ‘boss’ title in there and it just gets worse. Some people start tiptoeing around you so you don’t get upset or they try so hard to impress you that they stop being who they really are. They stop disagreeing with you because they think your ideas are automatically somehow better. Or other people who just try to curry favor and pretend they like you when they really just hope to cash in a favor some day.

“And! And… being a leader also means you’re fair game as a topic for teasing or gossip behind closed doors. Everything you say or do is scrutinized and then used in judgement against you. Of course some people will like and support your opinions, but there’ll always be a few others who think you’re just being political or you’re playing favorites and abusing your position and that you don’t deserve to be there.”

Matt could feel her fingers clenched on his shirt. He squeezed her gently closer with his arm and felt her tension drop in response.

“… also, I hate repeating myself,” she finished after a moment.

“Hrmmm, what was that? I didn’t hear you?”

“I said, I hate repea-- … hey!”

He let off a short laugh as she caught on and leaned in to kiss her cheek in affectionate apology. Katriel gave a mollified grump and sighed. “Am I just making up all these scenarios, then? All of these imagined fears about leadership responsibilities?” she asked.

Matt shook his head. “Leadership is an art, not a science. There is no way you will always know what to do in every scenario. You do the best you can and try to remember that, even when you’re the leader, there are still things that are outside your control.”

Katriel fell quiet, contemplating that. For someone with her level of curiosity and perfectionist tendencies, the acceptance of things as being just-the-way-they-are was often a difficult undertaking. This time seemed as though it would be no different.

“Is there any part of you that wants the job, at all?” Matt asked. He’d stopped watching the fish and was watching her instead, threading his fingers in her hair and running them smoothly through. Katriel enjoyed the attention while she considered her answer.

“No, there really isn’t. But I … do wonder a bit if…” she strained for a moment as she puzzled out what she wanted to say. “Sometimes I wonder if I don’t want the job because I’m not interested, or if I’m not interested because I don’t think I’m … ready.”

“Well… wanting a leadership position is part of being ready for it. I mean,” he turned a smile on her, “I definitely know – and I think you do, too – that you could do the job and do it well. But if you don’t want it, there’s no shame in letting it go by. No good leader or officer would hold that against you and neither will any of your friends here. At the end of the day, you are still out here doing good work with and for your department, and the Federation. And that matters way more than any job title or special position.”

Katriel looked visibly reassured at these reminders. She settled more snugly into Matt’s embrace. “Thank you,” she said quietly.

“You are most welcome.”

((Backdated by… about four days.))

18 Likes

Katriel paced a well-worn path down a corridor she’d traversed numerous times before and keyed a familiar chime on a door she’d stood in front of just as often.

She wondered, as she waited for a response, if she’d be visiting this office with as much frequency going forward.

“Come.” Isohlah’s voice sounded from the door’s intercom panel. Katriel took a step forward and the barrier swished open in response, permitting her through.

Isohlah was in the midst of packing, it was clear. His office, which even at the best of times could only be described as neatly cluttered, had devolved into categorical organized chaos instead as the bolian valiantly attempted to collate and compile five years of assorted literature, media, and sentimental keepsakes into moving containers for transport.

“Ah, Sedai. I was wondering if you would stop by.” Isohlah straightened from his sorting task to give Katriel his full and imposing attention.

“Hello, Isohlah.”

They had generally only ever referred to one another by their last names, a habit that caused some people to wonder with confusion. ‘Are you not friends after working together for five years?’ Of a sort, they certainly were. But, Katriel reflected, friendship was not always characterized by the names people use to refer to one another. Theirs was not the sort of relationship in which one might call the other at 0300 hours in a tearful or drunken stupor to vent about their latest heartbreak or argument. Instead, the two counselors had a profound respect and understanding of one another’s professional and intellectual capabilities, as well as an utterly unshakeable, mutual faith in the constancy of the other to get any job done.

The betazoid was suddenly struck by a pang of regret for how much she would miss that silent pact of understanding. She swallowed it back.

“Pardon the mess,” Isohlah rumbled as he stepped around miscellaneous piles of stuff. “I am strongly considering seeing a counselor about my hoarding habits. What do you think?”

“You are not a true hoarder,” Katriel’s reply was almost automatic as she looked around, curiosity snagging on numerous items within her view. “Most of these items were gifted to you at one point or another or you acquired them to assist in your research. Holding onto material goods that continue to bring you sentimental joy is completely acceptable.”

Isohlah made a grunt in reply. He came to a stop in front of her, leaning into a casual sit on the arm of a cushioned armchair. “Thank you, Doctor Sedai, for that insightful fifteen second analysis.”

“You’re welcome,” Katriel responded, cheerfully enough. “I know how you are about wasting time and always endeavor to help you save it.”

“Much obliged,” he replied dryly, before nodding at the wrapped item in Katriel’s hand. “Although I am beginning to suspect your diagnosis might be partisan in essence.”

Katriel uttered a quiet laugh as she lifted the wrapped gift and offered it out to Isohlah to take. “Guilty as charged.”

“You didn’t have to, you know.” He took the present and turned it over in his hands, looking for a vulnerability in the armor of wrapping. Katriel noted that he didn’t even ask if he should open it now or wait until later. She supposed it was likely that her gift was one of many he’d received in the past week or two from other well-wishers who’d want to see his reaction.

“I know,” Katriel’s tone was rueful. “I am being a bit selfish, perhaps, in hoping I will own a little bit of your new office space this way.”

“Is that so? Did you have a preference as to where, in terms of real estate? I can save you a spot near the window.” The office was filled with the friendly and familiar sound of crumpling paper as Isohlah tore the present open.

“I admit, I do love a good view,” Katriel rejoined as she waited, a bit nervously, for his reaction.

Isohlah’s hands paused as he got a glimpse of the gift, his fingers startled into stillness on the glass cover. He pulled the remaining wrapping paper free to uncover the rest of the thick frame. Contained within was a mixed media art piece. A kaleidoscope of multicolored and multipatterned origami butterflies flying across an abstract watercolor background of wind and sky.

“Did you fold these?” Isohlah asked.

“I did,” Katriel confirmed. “The background is just a replicated print though, I am not especially talented at painting.”

“It’s stunning,” Isohlah forcefully forestalled any additional potential self-deprecation. “And butterflies, of course, being the most universal and timeless symbol of transformation.”

“Yes,” Katriel smiled briefly. “You told me once.”

“Did I?” Isohlah wondered aloud. “I don’t recall.” He tilted the transparent frame in his hands to stare at the contents from an angle, marveling just a bit.

The betazoid clasped her hands behind her back, quietly pleased at his appreciation. “We were discussing cross-cultural motifs in life altering experiences. It was one of our earliest conversations, perhaps one of the few that had not been entirely work-centric, back then.”

“Your memory, as ever, proves better than mine,” Isohlah sounded rueful for forgetting. “Though that does sound like something we would talk about.”

“I admit, I can’t recall much more than that. We’ve had many conversations over the years, so it’s only natural that we’ve forgotten the content of some or many.”

Isohlah’s gaze came up to examine her with a palpable regret. “I have enjoyed working with you, Sedai. You have been one of the most blessedly pragmatic and drama-free individuals I’ve ever been teamed with and I think I will have much cause to miss that as I wade into the new and treacherous waters of the upper echelons.”

Katriel’s mouth quirked to one side, touched at the unexpected sentiment. “You’ve been a significant influence and mentor to me as well. Thank you.”

Isohlah returned the vague smile and they stood in comfortable silence for a moment. Then the bolian’s expression flickered as he hit upon an idea. “One moment. I have something for you as well.”

Now she was really surprised. “You do?” she asked, as he stood and moved towards his desk to collect a small volume that had been sitting on the surface. He returned to stand in front of her and held the book out.

“I confess I had not completely decided it, but now it feels entirely appropriate and I do try to obey my instincts from time to time.”

Katriel gingerly took the novella and turned the cover face up. The illustration on the front tickled her memory, though the title text itself was in bolian and she couldn’t read it. “This is…”

“The bolian translation of The Little Prince,” Isohlah filled in helpfully. “I bought this copy when I left Bolarus for the Academy and have kept it to remind myself to never turn into a geographer or a lamplighter or any number of other one dimensional caricatures. I’m aware you’re fond of it?”

“I am, yes,” Katriel was still a bit stunned and mystified by the gesture. Isohlah had been paying more attention to her than he had let on. “But this seems too personally valuable to part with?”

Isohlah grinned faintly in response. “You should let me determine the value of a gift I am giving away, Sedai. Consider it a favor to me, if you must, to help me with my hoarding habit.”

His tone had taken on a teasing edge, a rare quality for him. Katriel couldn’t help a smile in response. “I will, then. Thank you so much.”

“Care to stay and help me pack a little? I could use your organized sensibility,” Isohlah inquired, as he moved to safely stow away his new acquisition.

“Sure.” She imagined there were a lot of microstories she could glean from the hodgepodge assortment of possessions. She suspected Isohlah knew what he was offering, too.

“Good! I’ll get us some tea.”

14 Likes
8 Likes

The door of her quarters swished open to admit her and her heavy steps took her inside.

Katriel swung the ice skates down from where they were draped over her shoulder by the laces and set them to one side of the door, carefully out of the way so as not to be a tripping hazard, but within easy pickup for probable future expeditions. She cast her gaze around her quiet room and furniture, the cat that had glanced up for a moment when she entered, but now had gone back to her nap.

She loved her quarters, her sanctuary away from everything and everyone else on station, but tonight – her first night back – they felt empty.

Katriel loosened the scarf around her neck as she went to sit at her desk and she tapped her console a few times to look through her inbox. She listlessly skimmed through the pileup of messages that she had ignored while she’d been visiting Sol, not really reading any of them as much as making sure nothing really urgent had passed, her right hand moving to undo the clasp of a bracelet round her left wrist. She set the bit of jewelry in a desk drawer and slid it closed.

She felt the barest flickers of regret when she realized this transition back into a productive work schedule would be the hardest one yet. Even if the last two weeks hadn’t been such a blissful diversion, now upon her return, she felt keenly the absences of those who had previously been comforts on station.

Neema, Isohlah. They were both moving on with their careers, onto bigger and better things. But what about me? she wondered silently, uneasily. She did love the station, but it wouldn’t be possible to stay forever. Would she always be the one left behind? Every time a friend departed, it became harder for her to open herself to another. Neema. Coby. Soa. RunningBear. Chassy. Amie. They’d all left, in the end, even if sometimes not by choice.

Perhaps it was time to consider a change of her own.

A glowing light in her periphery drew her attention and her head turned, her focus settling on the ambient light lamp sitting on her desk. The lamp’s rectangular shade was shifting colors, gradually transitioning from a pale green to a vibrant purple and then a warm orange. Katriel smiled reflexively, distracted from her thoughts, and extended a hand out to touch the shade’s top. The object responded to her palm’s presence, the shade modulating to a soothing marine.

With one hand absently clasped around the pendant at her throat, she quietly began to work through her mail.

15 Likes

“One iced coffee and one black tea, hot.”

The replicator hummed to life and Caissa snagged the two drinks as they appeared on the shelf, handing off the mug to Katriel as she pensively studied a PADD. The betazoid thanked the ensign quietly and the two counselors started the trek towards the inner office block at a sedate pace.

“Okay, so your schedule today!” Caissa perkily started to read from her own PADD, where she kept the new head of counseling’s agenda. “In half an hour, Lieutenant Commander Cedano is coming by to give you an update on the irreo cohort’s progress.”

“I just met with her two weeks ago, how much could have changed at this point?” Katriel wondered outloud.

“Got me,” Caissa shrugged as she kept pace with her boss. “At mid-alpha, you have a comm call with Lieutenant Tirral from Talos Junction.”

“Only Tirral?”

Caissa’s voice became hushed. “I think he wants to file a complaint about Abenai and Pareen. There’s not enough for them to do there and he’s the only one trying to stay productive while the other two have started self-taught surfing lessons.”

“Hmm, I guess this means Tirral gets to stay when I rotate the other two back here,” Katriel sipped from her mug as they walked.

Caissa nodded knowingly, as if Katriel had hit upon exactly what she would have chosen to do. “Then you have a working lunch with the volunteer PhD counselors to brainstorm ways to increase research findings and output.”

“Right. Did you manage to --”

“I confirmed with Hibiscus Grove, they’ll be sending platters fifteen minutes before!” Caissa cheerfully interrupted, sounding pleased with herself.

“… Hibiscus Grove?” Katriel sounded quizzical. “Is this another obscure restaurant on the concourse? Caissa, if anyone gets sick again --”

“Noooo,” Caissa protested. “I swear, no one will get sick! That incident with that other place was a one time thing!”

Katriel hummed skeptically. “Well, thank you for arranging for lunch, anyway,” she conceded. Then she remembered. “Also thank you for running out to the concourse to pick up the chocolate fruit for Mrs Ailes’s hostess gift. And wrapping it.”

“Of course!” Caissa beamed, making Katriel regret for the zillionth time that she was not personally a morning person. “It was easy since you already made the arrangements. They didn’t have a problem with me doing the pickup and you were busy with the Kantan survivors. Did Mrs Ailes like it? And how was the dinner?”

“She did and… let’s go over that later.” Katriel hesitated. “There haven’t been any calls from the Annex or from any ship captains, have there?”

“Nope!”

“Right. Okay.” The betazoid hid her relief. “Anything in the afternoon?”

“Yyyyyyes,” Caissa refocused her attention on her PADD as they turned a corner. “You have to attend the presentation by the admin group on scheduling block options at mid-beta, then the Athene Psychology Group from Daystrom is going to call in at gamma. Their rep wouldn’t say what their business was.”

Katriel frowned vaguely. “All right. Though next time they want an appointment, require them to give their purpose or else they don’t get one.”

“Can do, chief!”

She winced at the title as they stopped by Caissa’s desk. It wasn’t exactly the first time she’d heard it from one of her subordinates, but it was still grating on her. “Can you… can you not call me that.” The request came out like a statement.

“Oh uh. Yeah, of course, … ma’am,” Caissa paused at that. Then her expression contorted repeatedly as she experimented with a few different options. “Boss? Commander? Chair? Director?”

Katriel pursed her lips at the choices. She tried them out in her head, passing a few awkward moments of silence before finally stating, “Change sucks.”

Caissa laughed at Katriel’s sudden moment of naked honesty. “Yeeaaaah, sorry, Commander.”

Katriel expelled a sigh and began to walk down the corridor, towards her own office, but halted when Caissa called for her attention again. She backpedaled, looking at the other woman inquiringly.

“Whennnn are you going to move offices?” Caissa entreated.

“Oh. I decided… not to, actually,” Katriel replied carefully, as if testing her decision on Caissa’s reaction. “There’s no reason to prefer the one office, is there? Mine is the same size and layout and I would miss my fish.”

Caissa looked a little flummoxed. “You don’t have a replicator, though, don’t you want one?”

“I don’t mind walking to the replimat,” Katriel was unperturbed. “It’s probably better that I do, anyway. Get me away from my office every now and then.”

“All riiiiiight, I’ll let people know.” Caissa looked dubious, but she valiantly moved on. “Also, you asked me to remind you to remind me that you wanted to schedule a meet and greet with Ensign Claire Hamilton? Do you think you’ll want to do that in the next few days, if I see a space in your availability?”

Caissa had her hand poised over her console screen, where Katriel could see a tri-d chess match window open next to Caissa’s notes. She pursed her lips and stalled a moment in thought.

“… Can you ask me again tomorrow?” she sighed after a while.

Caissa grinned in response. “Will do, Commander.”

The betazoid thanked her and this time continued, unmolested, onto her office. The door swished open to admit her and closed after she stepped in. She stood still in the silence, after being slightly overwhelmed by her day’s schedule, and gazed around the empty office. She thought about nothing for several moments.

“Get to work,” she whispered to herself and she moved to her desk to obey.

19 Likes

39:20

The spectacle that was the Terran-Vulcan Symphony Orchestra rather defied description. They sat arranged in a semi-circle on the stage of the circular amphitheater, which was perhaps an unusual sort of venue for the performers, but one that barely phased them as professionals. The conductor stood on a podium wedged into the empty fraction of the pie, positioned to be easily visible to all the players and vice versa. She conducted with energy and her musicians responded in kind, despite their complete lack of an audience.

In fact, out of the vast multitude of empty seats, only three of them were occupied in the fifth and sixth to last rows, spectators who had chanced to observe the orchestra’s rehearsal as they tested the space for their upcoming Friday concert. Having known that the orchestra would be practicing in the space just after their own chamber ensemble would, the pianist and cellist had stayed late for a peek. Sitting with latter was his friend and roommate, who’d been curious about seeing the orchestra, but wouldn’t be able to attend the concert, thus Bozai had suggested the rehearsal as an alternative.

So the three sat respectfully in the rear of the auditorium, watching and listening as the orchestra would start and stop and repeat to perfect this or that passage of music. Though they were the only pure spectators, a number of other personnel filtered through the audience rows periodically, to check lighting and sound equipment and instrument balance as necessary. No one paid the three interlopers any mind.

“Look at that violinist!” Bozai’s friend remarked, keeping his volume low, so as not to disturb the rehearsal. Katriel thought his name might have been Elliot, most likely? “Does Commander Caspius look like that when he plays?”

Katriel focused her attention on the first violin, whose playing had taken on a distinctly aggressive mien. The music called for it, she supposed reluctantly, but it was a bit unnerving to see the musician’s nearly manic facial expression in addition.

Bozai beat Katriel to a response. “That’ll be the day I just escort myself to the airlock,” he snickered into his folded arms, which he’d rested against the back of the seat in front of him. “As if Caspius isn’t already plenty intimidating, without also looking like he wants to kill you.”

Crewman Bozai did seem to be Caspius’s preferred target these days, Katriel mused to herself internally.

“Why does he want to kill you?” Elliot asked, curiously.

“Because I’m definitely not good enough at the cello for his tastes,” Bozai’s expression was half rueful grimace and half self-deprecating grin.

“But you’re in the ensemble?” Elliot sounded quizzical. “You must have been pretty good to pass the audition to get in!”

“I think the Commander’s hand might have been forced by the lack of other options. And I get the funny feeling that that man would replace me in a heartbeat if someone else showed up.” Bozai laughed quietly to himself. “It’s too bad. I think if I hadn’t joined Starfleet, I wouldn’t have minded trying my hand at being a pro.” He extended one arm out to gesture at the orchestra in expressive appreciation.

“Oh yeah?” Elliot smirked at the confession. “You wanted to be a musician when you were growing up?”

“It was on my list of possibilities,” Bozai admitted. “Not very high, cause I wasn’t all that good even back then, but if I had known I’d be blistering my fingers from filling out requisition forms every day, maybe I’d have preferred to stick with the cello calluses!”

Elliot cackled. “I wanted to go into science,” he confessed. Katriel eyed the man’s back and his gold-colored uniform stripe. “Biology, I mean. Some days I still do.”

Bozai raised his eyebrows at him. “Why didn’t you?”

Elliot shrugged simply. “On the last week of my bio 101 class, I screwed up and managed to contaminate my entire class’s culture samples that we’d been working on growing for the entire two months. Everyone’s data was ruined and I was completely traumatized.” His grin was rueful. “Now I can’t so much as look at a petri dish or I get all dizzy and lightheaded.”

Katriel sat in silence, her attention half on the orchestra and half on the conversation. Matt had wanted to be a scientist once, too, she recalled with idle chagrin. If only he had. Then maybe he would have been safe and sound on some remote desert – well, okay, not desert – planet in the middle of nowhere, digging up fossils or other sedimentary prizes instead of serving as a combat-oriented tactician based around Deep Space 9 when it was attacked and heavily decimated by an unrelenting Tzenkethi fleet.

Katriel sank deeper into her seat. And maybe, just maybe… if she hadn’t become a counselor, then maybe she wouldn’t feel like such a colossally hypocritical fool for holding onto this secret suffering from not knowing his fate. She hadn’t heard anything from him or seen any news since the attack and it was getting increasingly difficult to roll out of bed each morning with that cloud of uncertainty hanging over her days like a fog. The chain around her neck, hidden under two layers of uniform jacket and sweater, weighed heavy on her heart.

“Counselor?” Bozai’s voice broke into her thoughts and her gaze focused on the two individuals sitting there, blinking rapidly.

“Sorry?” Katriel worked to keep her tone level and devoid of the turmoil she felt inside. “I missed the question.”

The two stared back at her with bewilderment and concern. “Umm, we were just wondering if you had any thoughts of other careers before settling on counseling.”

“Oh, ah… I … don’t know. I tried a lot of things. Astrophysics, genetics, writing. Journalism.”

Elliot perked up. “Journalism sounds fun.”

“Wouldn’t’ve pictured you in it, though,” Bozai’s head tilted in an unasked inquiry.

“Journalists are… they’re sort of advocates of the truth,” Katriel responded carefully, as she turned her attention back to the stage. “That was important to me, then.”

The other two slowly nodded their understanding before resuming their carefree conversation. Katriel exhaled a silent sigh of relief and regret.

14 Likes

#SheSaidYes

[ ---- Scroll up for older messages ---- ]

[18:08] ksedai.argo: Can we do this on the rec level sometime?

[18:11] RatherBePowerboarding: Are you sure this isn’t something Jal’Shan already tried on our rec level?

[18:11] ksedai.argo: Haha.

[ ---- Messages from yesterday (stardate 94205.48) ---- ]

[08:56] RatherBePowerboarding is now idle.

[09:20] ksedai.argo is now online.

[09:21] ksedai.argo: Neema! I’m sorry, but I have to cancel for lunch today. Matt finally got in touch with me this morning when Osprey’s comms silence got lifted. He’s swinging by tonight, so I had to reschedule some things to be free. Can we do tomorrow instead?

[09:41] ksedai.argo is now idle.

[10:48] RatherBePowerboarding: Here now. Oh good! I’m glad you heard from him. Yes, I can do tomorrow as well, but an hour later.

[10:50] ksedai.argo: That works for me. Thank you! On both things.

[10:50] RatherBePowerboarding: :)

[ ---- Messages from today (stardate 94208.22) ---- ]

[09:08] ksedai.argo is now online.

[09:12] ksedai.argo: Are we still good for lunch today?

[09:32] ksedai.argo is now idle.

[11:45] ksedai.argo: Neeeeeemaaaaaaaa

[11:53] RatherBePowerboarding: Yes! I might be a little late, because Hilo can be a bit longwinded at times, but my post-lunch got moved, so we can go long.

[11:54] ksedai.argo: Okay, good. I have to run to a meeting now, so I’ll see you after.

[11:54] RatherBePowerboarding: Okay!

[11:55] ksedai.argo: Also, minor tangent… Matt proposed lastnightandIsaidyesokaybye!

[11:55] ksedai.argo is now offline.

[11:55] RatherBePowerboarding: WHAT OMG

The recipient of your message is currently offline, they will receive your message the next time they log in.

17 Likes

---- // Connection to U.S.S. Ponderosa UNRESOLVED.
Please leave a message to be delivered when
the receiver is able to connect again. // ----

::the video message opens to Katriel in her chair at her desk, with her arms hugged around one bent knee as she rests a foot on the seat. Her clothes are uncharacteristically casual and loose-fitting, the strap of a teal swimsuit on one shoulder where the shirt’s neck doesn’t quite cover. She frowns faintly at the screen, looking minutely exasperated for just a moment::

Answering machine again? I suppose the Ponderosa is still … investigating that stars forsaken comms blocking nebula. Oh well. If I don’t update you on all the things I’ve done since we last talked, I’m going to start forgetting, so… pardon my prattling.

Things have actually been pretty quiet, professionally. I suppose after almost… two months? as counseling department head, I’ve finally hit my stride with all my new responsibilities and organizing my schedule to my liking. Of course we haven’t had anything really unusual to deal with just yet, so no telling how I’ll do when push comes to shove, but at least with the routine stuff, I seem to be doing okay.

::she glances momentarily away before looking back::

This has left me with more time for recreational things. I’ve been able to squeeze in more pleasure reading, which means I’ve spent about half of the gift Dmitri gave me this past holiday already. Starting to fit more of my old physical fitness routine back in… fencing, swimming, et cetera. And some odd favors, too, like Dmitri recently got a new puppy named Czar – very aristocratic, yeah? – and asked me to help with his training.

We met a few days ago for the first session of that, which seemed to go okay? I provided Dmitri with a clicker and we spoiled Czar with a few different types of treats, to see which ones he liked the most – answer: all of them. Showed Dmitri how to start associating the click with a treat and got him started with rewarding Czar to sit properly on command, and only on command, and only when Czar kept sitting for more than half a second. Suggested adding unique hand gestures as a bonus.

I should consider opening a side business for pet training, perhaps.

I also went horseback riding with Beylara and Emery. A trail ride, because I might have complained a bit about how dull it was to practice just riding around in circles. Though that was my fault for not being ready for more just yet. But the trail was easy and calm and the program was detailed to the point of including wind patterns and outdoor scents, so that was a nice break from the starbase environment.

::she pauses, her expression turning amused, as a blurry black shadow imposes itself on the camera’s view in one corner. The cat seems to be rubbing her cheek against the frame. Katriel lets this continue while she talks::

Afterwards Beylara indicated interest in joining me for a scuba diving run sometime in the future. She gifted me a holoprogram for it a couple years back and I’ve run it a handful of times, but it might be nice to get another session in so I am not totally out of practice when Risa rolls around this summer.

Then last night, Matt and I had dinner with the Alorans, Esca and his family. Not sure if I’ve mentioned them in the past, but Esca is part of the station’s JAG and his son Esios has crossed my path a few times for some counseling things. I’d never met Reus before, so that was nice to put a face to the name and I suppose Esca was doing the same for Matt. They even cooked, despite the short notice. I’m starting to feel rather spoiled by all the home cooked meals.

Esios invited the two of us to play tri-d chess and Matt cheerfully accepted and equally cheerfully lost. Between Esios’s burgeoning telepathy skills which he’s still getting a handle on and the fact that Matt doesn’t actually play that often made the match somewhat uneven, but I’m sure I wouldn’t have fared any better and they both seemed to have a lot of fun regardless. Matt seems to be… generously attentive and nice with kids. Guessing this is because he is not much different from being a big kid himself at times.

::the cat gets tired of the camera’s lack of affectionate reciprocation and struts across the frame, disappearing from view. Katriel watches her go::

Speaking of dinners, I actually attended the station commander’s pseudo-formal Easter dinner, with Neema, way back at the start of the month. That was pleasant, although a larger group, so you know how I am when it comes to those. I did learn that Caspius has an unparalleled appreciation for carrot cake, so that tidbit of knowledge might have been worth the attendance all in itself. And Sara Desimone gave everyone these odd, self-inflating marshmallow dessert … things? I donated mine to the counseling replimat and people picked away at it for a couple days, until Caissa had the bright idea of replicating a large selection of dried fruit and cereal wafers, which people could sort of make mini creme sandwiches with. The whole thing disappeared pretty quickly after that.

Ironically that dinner was scheduled on my birthday and originally Neema had wanted to take me out somewhere, so we had to reschedule for the night after. We went to an older-on-station Andorian bistro, nothing too fancy there… but they did have these colorable placemats, so Neema and I traded selecting the most obnoxious colors for each other’s crayon drawings. Yes, I do know those things are supposed to be for six year olds, shhh.

::she twists the ring around her finger while she pauses for a long, meditative moment::

Matt and I are planning to visit the pool for a while, then I think we might get to sneak in a quick lunch before he has to head off. It sounds like he and 34 are being run a bit ragged in alpha, so he was a bit more tense than usual on arrival, but it didn’t stop him from feeling pretty excited to get me a gift out of nowhere. It’s a holoprogram for… an art gallery owner simulation, I guess? And it’s networked, so apparently besides designing and maintaining your own art gallery, you can visit other players’ galleries and they can visit yours and see what artwork you have on display.

I have to admit that it all sounds just a tiny bit pretentious – to me, anyway – but he’s absolutely positive that I’m going to enjoy it, so my curiosity is burning. Will definitely see about making a reservation in the next couple days to find out what it’s all about.

::a shorter pause::

I better get ready to go here. Hope everything’s going well with you. Call me when you can, okay?

::she reaches her arm forward and the video feed goes black::

14 Likes

---- // MESSAGE SENT FROM SUBSPACE RELAY 234-B
routed from 92381-ATLANTIS.USS. TEXT ONLY… // ----

Hey, I have news! Our shore leave to Risa is still postponed indefinitely, but 38th was tapped for a task force to assist with the hur’q defense campaign in alpha quadrant. By the time you read this, I’ll probably already be on board the Atlantis on our way to DS9. Will the Osprey be nearby? Can we meet up?

The chamber concert went pretty well, thank you for asking. I admit I was more than a little nervous on how James would do on the Brahms and I know I’ve mentioned how we’d been putting a lot of extra rehearsals just the two of us to make sure he had it all down pat. And he did deliver, though I feel he was really running out of steam a bit by the end of the piece and looked just about ready to pass out on the final run. Twenty five minutes of straight playing is pretty hard on endurance, and James is still a bit new to this. I suspect perhaps Caspius likely did this on purpose. Those two really do all they can to annoy one another!

Anyway, pleeeeease say you’ll be around! I mean, DS9 is no Risa, but maybe we could at least take a night down on Bajor or something? (I really miss Risa at night…)

---- // END MESSAGE // ----

---- // MESSAGE RECEIVED FROM SUBSPACE RELAY 234-B
routed from 74360-OSPREY.USS. TEXT ONLY… // ----

Oh wow, that’s unexpected. I think we are heading that way, sometime mid week, but it’s only a stopover for a night before heading on. But, I’m confident I can get free to visit Bajor. I sort of have a craving for some moba ice cream. Yes, I know what you are thinking, I don’t normally like fruity ice creams, but I don’t know. These last few weeks, it’s kind of been a thing for me.

I am glad the chamber concert went well. I do enjoy the ones I have seen. I imagine it can be hard to join such a crew. You all have been playing for a while now, with regular practices, and the time to… normalize to how Caspius directs it. Anyone coming into that would find it a bit daunting, I suppose.

So, I’ll check to see when we are heading out that way, and I’ll comm you when I know which night. Meanwhile, I’ll see if I can cancel the reservations for Risa and we can try again later. Night anywhere is better with you!

---- // END MESSAGE // ----

12 Likes

There is nothing wrong with who you are between smiles.
- Bryant McGill

Katriel sat on the bed, her knees bent with her arms hugged around them and her bare feet poking out from underneath the thin blanket. Night time on Risa rarely seemed cover-worthy, but the betazoid personally found that she had difficulty falling asleep with nothing layered over her body no matter how warm it was, so leaving her soles and toes exposed was the compromise.

Not that she was trying to sleep just now. Presently she was turning over the dilemma of waking her very sound asleep partner so that they could go see her ‘surprise’. She should have been feeling excited, as Matt often did when he was about to spring something on her, but it was nervousness that churned in her gut instead. Because originally it was the previous night that she had planned on them seeing her surprise and it hadn’t turned out so well.

The fact that the surprise necessitated waking at 0100 hours certainly didn’t help.

It had been a trying day for the MACO. They had arranged to meet at this other resort location, which Katriel had discovered in her interminable search for little known Risian attractions. He’d anticipated being able to arrive in the early afternoon, but a work emergency had delayed him first, then a bureaucratic mixup with Risian docking authorities made it worse. Combined with coming off a week of very little sleep for an extended training exercise, he’d been enormously relieved when he finally met up with Katriel after sunset, but no less overtaxed.

They’d caught a light dinner and a casual stroll on the beach before returning to their room, where Matt immediately surrendered to his exhaustion.

Katriel was unbothered by this and, being very much a night owl, she opted to read quietly on the balcony rather than go to sleep. As the night grew deeper, her anticipation for her surprise did as well. Matt had known that there was something special planned, but he had wrongly assumed it’d be sometime during the next day and Katriel had let him, since it’d be easier to keep the secret that way. She figured he could get a few hours of sleep before she merrily woke him for their adventure and he might be a little grumpy, but the end result would be worth it.

It didn’t go that way. They had – argued? fought? or merely… disagreed? Matt was still too tired to even consider moving and, given the lack of endangerment to life or limb, he resented the seeming ridiculousness of the post-midnight request. Stung by the insinuation that her plans were not worth getting up for, she protested that this was the only time this particular kind of surprise was even available.

He fell back asleep almost immediately. Katriel took a little longer, alternating between bewilderment and reproach, before she succumbed to her own somewhat restless sleep next to him.

They did talk in the morning. The hours of sleep had done almost nothing to help Katriel’s tension, which remained unbearably high as she faced him, already awake and freshly showered. But Matt’s expression was contrite as he reviewed what happened the night before and although he felt things couldn’t have gone much differently, he was genuinely remorseful that he had upset her plans. She felt some of her anxiety drain away at his apology and she admitted that she had been too myopically focused on her arrangements. She could, and should have, given his condition more serious attention.

He made a point of asking not what the surprise was, but if there was any chance that they’d be able to see it still, even though the night had passed. So she went on her own to investigate the possibility while he organized breakfast. She wasn’t sure if she was more anxious or more relieved when she returned from the resort desk and reported that there would, in fact, be another opportunity that night, at around the same time.

Matt promised that he’d be less of a bear when she woke him this time.

They passed the day in comfortable harmony.

Which brought her back to now. Katriel had woken a little while ago and felt borderline paralyzed to accomplish what should have been a simple task.

What if it isn’t different? She didn’t even want to chance another conflict, no matter how mild it might have seemed to those on the outside. She and Matt rarely had such altercations and even when they did, they never raised their voices at one another, never resorted to vulgarity or calling each other names. But to Katriel, the hiccups in understanding hurt just as much.

Every couple argues sometimes, she reminded herself.

Katriel took a breath. Have faith. Choose to be optimistic.

She reached out and touched the sleeper gently. “Matt?” She gave his shoulder a few more insistent nudges. “Matt.”

He started to stir. Like the night before, his eyes blinked open and he squinted at her fuzzily, coherency slowly seeping into his expression.

“… hey,” he greeted her, voice rough with sleep. “Is it time to go?”

She let out the breath that she didn’t know she was holding. “It will be, once you get dressed and ready.”

“I can’t go in my PJs?” he sleepily joked.

She gave him a tiny smile. “Won’t you be cold?”

“Not if you also just go in your PJs.”

Try as she might, she couldn’t quite suppress the surprised laugh that bubbled up in reaction and made her resulting attempted stern glare completely ineffectual. The moment of joy sapped the remainder of her tension, making her feel completely relaxed, and the sharp memory of their conflict seemed to melt away like the waves that wash off the sand.

“Maybe on our next midnight escapade, hmm? I think I, at least, am going to need pants for this adventure.”

“All right,” Matt pretended to grumpily agree. He drew her down for an affectionate kiss before rolling out of bed in the opposite direction to get ready.

Katriel exhaled a content little sigh before scooting out of bed herself and on her way.

10 Likes

Home.

read a short story

6 Likes

Commander Caspius,

I will have openings on Friday to attempt the exam again

At this time, I have decided to withdraw from the exam. I apologize for wasting your time

I believe I have come up with some new solutions regarding your scenario, so I am ready and eager to challenge myself again

I am clearly not ready for this step in my career

I am clearly too incompetent to pass this insane test

I never wanted to take this stupid exam in the first place. No one I care about thinks less of me for failing, so why do I??? Am I just lying to myself about what I want?

2p985aui3wrfoshrcp34hcpatihnf;awltga; slkjg just MAKE A DECISION, KATRIEL

I have elected to withdraw from testing, as I feel that my time at this juncture would be more efficiently spent in actively gaining experience through focusing on my department head responsibilities.

Thank you for investing the time that you have in helping me to identify areas for self-improvement, as I do believe that an intrinsic lack of affinity for one skill or another does not excuse a person from the responsibility of endeavoring to better themselves in the same.

I look forward to undertaking this challenge again at a later date.

15 Likes

In one moment there was nothing, in the next, she came awake.

Up on her pillow, she could sense the cat sitting primly, her rumbling purr seeming loud enough to wake the dead.

“Fairy…” the betazoid griped.

On cue, the feline prowled closer to the woman, bumping heads and then rubbing her cheek with her own, repeatedly and insistently. Try as Katriel might, even with telepathy and empathy both, sometimes the explanation for cat behavior continued to evade her, such as this very occasional demand for cuddling in the middle of the night. She weakly scratched the feline’s ears, mind and body begging to go back to sleep after the day’s ordeal.

The cat nudged her way under the covers and eventually settled up in a close curl. Her side tingled with the feline’s rumbling purr.

“Good thing you never do this when Matt’s around,” the counselor mumbled as she quickly drifted back to sleep.

7 Likes

Katriel’s expression was blank as she straightened her pillow, both in order to self-pacify and to give herself a chance to change her mind about sleeping just now.

She cast her glance around the silent bedroom, familiar enough with its Starfleet standard design, but foreign in feeling and detail. The cot on the far side was rumpled with linens, but empty. Even though they were sharing the same quarters, the betazoid rarely saw the other woman, with the demands on their schedules being so disparate and unpredictable. Then again, nothing about the current situation could be considered regular or calculable. Her sleeping was sporadic, her mealtimes intermittent, and her exercise regimen was nonexistent.

With agonizing slowness, order would slowly return. Emotions would level, routines established, new normals achieved. Until then, she had nothing but the best she could do, which was not be a total hypocrite and do her best to follow the counsel she’d been dispensing so liberally to others.

The betazoid turned her attention to the nightstand next to the bed on which was piled a dozen PADDs (another un-normal thing – she usually never did work in bed). On top sat a prepared hypospray, which she started to reach for. Her fingers touched the canister before she paused for a long moment, withdrawing her hand. She took a fistful of her blanket instead and drew it over her as she lay down to settle in for sleep.

It came, eventually.

She’d just opened her mouth to give some instructions, but the warning rumbling of the bulkheads made her pause. She’d barely begun to wonder what that artificial, high-pitched whining sound could be when the room was flooded by a biting white light and her friend seemed to vanish into its brightness.

“DEL!” she shrieked and grasped blindly forward, like she could reach. But her hand only encountered the shock of a forcefield and she opened her eyes to stare at the figure of her friend falling, falling, falling…

He was running hard, his boots carrying him swiftly down a starbase corridor, like he was late and needed to be there on time. He rounded the corner and came to an abrupt halt as the door he wanted jammed when it tried to open to admit him. The officer cursed at the faulty mechanism, giving a solidly useless kick to its frame.

On the other side of the door, he could see the loads of officers and other personnel, boarding a train. He needed to be on that train, he just had to –

He took a deep breath and desperately squeezed himself through the door’s narrow opening. His uniform jacket got caught on the jagged metal edges of the damaged door frame, but eventually he pulled free and started towards the train platform.

But the train was already gone. He hadn’t gotten to them on time.

He stood in the darkness with his hands upon the glass. He pounded the material with his fists, but nary a crack would appear, giving with the force like a hard plastic. On the other side, he could see his partner, tears streaming down her cheeks as her mouth opened and she tried to speak. But he couldn’t hear a thing.

Her boots made a soft crunching noise as she trekked through the snow-covered ground. The trees rose ominously around her in dark and gloomy silhouettes, their branches naked, spindly and sharp. Leaned up against her shoulder was a phaser rifle, battery pack charged to full, not a single shot fired and ready for action. She had no targets as of yet, however, so it remained secured as she walked.

The vivid contrast of a red stain against the white snow caught her attention and she veered off the path to investigate. A dead deer lay half buried, its limbs askew and tawny fur soaked with blood. She couldn’t tell exactly how it died, but it seemed unlikely that it had been gentle.

She left the scene and kept walking, but as she went deeper and deeper into the forest, the corpses of dead animals continued to litter her path. A matted and mangled lynx, a herd of rabbits missing their feet, a decapitated bird of prey with feathers strewn about.

She didn’t know what had killed any of them or why anyone would.

The first thing Katriel did when she woke up was check the time.

0533. She’d managed to get roughly four and a half hours of sleep. Good enough.

She rolled out of the bed with a muffled groan and her hand, almost on reflex, went to pick up the hypospray sitting on the nightstand. She had raised it halfway to her neck when she paused and lowered her glance to the canister, studying it for a long moment.

Slowly she lowered it back to the table and turned to go about her day.

15 Likes

vii.
You must live in the present,
launch yourself on every wave,
find your eternity in each moment.
- Henry David Thoreau

The holding room was small, barely bigger than a runabout and even somewhat similarly furnished. But there was a wide observation window that afforded a steady view of Earth, so as Katriel waited for the appointed hour, she stood and watched the ocean-covered planet spin quietly below.

She crossed her hands over her chest to rub her bare upper arms, in an unconscious attempt to fight off the mild chill. The ambient temperature on this station seemed to be slightly lower than what she was used to, to the point of making her almost regret not opting for a dress with sleeves.

The simplicity of the satin gown suited her, though, with its matte v-neck bodice and glossy, flowing full-length skirt. Granted, she and Neema had not exactly spent hours of time searching for the one, but Katriel really didn’t have a lot of preferences to satisfy in this regard. Even if it was for her wedding day.

She turned as the door to the holding room swished open and her brother hustled in, carrying a couple boxes, with Neema trailing him.

“Aww, you look nice,” Brian complimented as he came close. He held out his free hand, up near her eye level. Instinctively Katriel took it and allowed him to twirl her slowly once. Her dress skirt flared out slightly with the motion.

“‘Nice’?” Neema asked, unimpressed. “You couldn’t go with something more eloquent? Maybe try ‘amazing’ or ‘stunning’?”

Brian scoffed once. “I’M not the one getting married to her, so ‘nice’ will do just fine,” he retorted, sending Neema a cheeky grin. The trill smirked in return, shaking her head.

“Is it time?” Katriel asked, barely keeping her amusement at bay.

Neema gave her a slight smile. “Almost. Nervous?”

“Not at all.”

The trill shot a glance towards Brian, as if asking the other betazoid if the first one was lying. The man chuckled, shaking his head slightly.

“She’s genuinely not. Bit weird, isn’t it?” he pondered aloud, as he released her hand.

Katriel smiled vaguely. “I have such a hard time knowing what I want in so many situations. This is one of the few times where I am beset by no doubts at all.”

Neema’s mouth dropped open in a silent ‘awwww’ while Brian rolled his eyes. “Okay, okay. Save it for the ceremony! Just have a few more finishing touches for you here.”

The bride’s expression turned quizzical as Neema ushered her into a chair. “What finishing touches?”

“Neema and I schemed a little,” he sounded pleased with himself as he set his packages down and started to pry open the smaller one. “Since we’re pretty much going all human traditions here, you know there’s the one where the bride has to wear like… certain special items? 'Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue?”

Katriel tried hard to recall, understanding slowly dawning. “Oh, yes. I think so. For good luck or something.”

“Right, so,” Brian continued his explanation. “In this case, the dress is your something new, good job, saved us a bit of work there. But here is your ‘something old’. I raided Mother’s stash for it.”

Her brother opened the rectangular felt box and Katriel gaped a bit at the ornate hair comb, attached to a delicate chain of moonstone-carved leaves and flowers. “I didn’t know Mother even had a stash.”

Brian smirked as he carefully lifted the item out of its box. “Well, me neither, and that’s how you know I didn’t actually raid it, she invited me to look through and pick something. This is a hair vine. I think we’re just going to…”

His tone trailed off as he moved to stand behind her and Katriel sat very still, as Neema and Brian fussed over the proper way to set the ornament in her hair. She hadn’t done anything especial with it, but now they inserted the comb at the base of her ponytail and then loosely braided its length, twining the jeweled vine throughout.

“Pretty,” Neema approved, as she stood back to survey Katriel from several sides.

Katriel had rarely felt more self-conscious. “Thanks, you guys.”

“Oh, we’re not even done yet,” Brian smoothly interjected. “Neema? Something borrowed?”

“Oh! Right.” The trill crouched down suddenly and drew her own dress skirt up a bit to fiddle with something at her feet.

The counselor stared a bit apprehensively. “… I’m not borrowing your heels, am I?”

“No, no,” Neema laughed as she pivoted to face Katriel, still crouched down. “Put your foot out, would you? Left or right, doesn’t matter.”

Katriel obliged, tugging her skirt up a bit to expose her shoe, and she watched as the other woman encircled her ankle with a silver chain and clasped it securely. “Oh, your anklet! Wait, is this one new?”

“Yeah. I just got it this past Christmas. You might not be able to see from there, but the charm is a mini DS13,” she noted, her tone turning a bit wistful. “So I am definitely going to want this back.”

The counselor swallowed the sudden lump in her throat. “Thank you so much.”

Neema grinned happily as she stood up and leaned over to give Katriel a tight hug.

“And here… is your something blue,” Brian stepped over with the other box he had come in with. He lifted the cover off and Katriel inspected the navy blue fabric within.

“Is this a scarf?” she asked, drawing it out carefully. They stayed quiet as she shifted the material around, looking for its natural shape. She finally found it and held up the bolero jacket up by the shoulders. The sheer chiffon fabric was dotted with small silver stars in random clumpings and streams, in a fashionably abstract imitation of the Milky Way in a night sky.

“Wow,” was all she could think of to say.

“I got Neema to send me a photo of your dress so that I would be sure it would go with,” Brian stated proudly. He took it from her so that he could hold it out while she carefully inserted her arms into the jacket’s sleeves.

“It’s fantastic,” Katriel quietly marveled as she touched one of the stars on her collarbone.

“Last but not least,” Neema collected Katriel’s bouquet of snowdrops and lilac, passing it to her. Katriel could see an extra sheer ribbon wrapped around the handle, which held a silver coin steadfast to the stems.

“What is that?” she asked, bringing it closer to study. There was a depiction of a harp embossed on the face, along with the year ‘1969’.

“It’s a sixpence coin,” Brian clarified cheerfully, before his tone turned a bit more sardonic. “Because for some reason the poem ends with, ‘And a silver sixpence for her shoe.’”

“We didn’t think you’d want to actually wear it in your shoe,” Neema supplied dryly.

“Don’t question tradition, I suppose,” Katriel sounded amused, but she knew exactly what would happen with this particular coin after the event was over. “Thank you both so much. This whole thing would have been way less impressive if it weren’t for both of you,” she said, a touch self-deprecatingly.

“Just because you don’t need any good luck with your marriage doesn’t mean we don’t want to wish you a lot of it anyway,” Neema teased. Katriel smiled openly in return.

Brian checked the chronometer. “Now it really is almost time to go. Want to hand me your ring?”

Katriel looked down at her left hand and extended her fingers. She twisted the engagement band off her finger and passed it to Brian, doing her best to pretend she wasn’t going to miss it even for this very short absence. Brian eyed her knowingly as he pocketed the item and, suddenly, drew her in for a close hug.

I love you, Owl, he thought to her. Outloud he said, “This ceremony won’t change anything, you know.”

“I know,” she whispered in return. A few more seconds passed before her brother released her, giving her a quick smile. Neema was already at the door, peering out and checking on the status of things.

“Ready?” Brian asked one more time.

Katriel nodded once firmly and stood up to go.

15 Likes

“How is she doing?”

Brian glanced off to the side of the vidscreen, at something Katriel couldn’t see, as if checking to make sure Neema wasn’t going to choose right that moment to walk through the door.

“She’s… been back and forth, a bit,” Brian confessed. “She’s second-guessing herself a lot and we haven’t gone out at all. Even if she did feel like going out, she’s a bit afraid to tip off the journalists that she’s not staying at the hotel anymore.”

Katriel turned out a frown as she sat on the bed. She folded her legs up, hugging her knees to her chest. “Is there any chance she’s going to change her mind?”

Her brother shook his head. “I doubt it. She’s pretty upset, but she hasn’t really seen any alternatives that she likes better, so I think this is the course we’re all stuck with.”

“Poor Neema,” she murmured.

“Poor Neema,” Brian agreed. “Poor all of you, really. No offense to Dmitri or … did I ever meet your base CO?” he wondered aloud, “but I have my doubts that this was a good trade, let alone a fair one, if that’s what it was supposed to be.”

“Well, don’t say that around her,” Katriel warned.

“I won’t,” he assured her. “How about you? Things over there on K-7 going okay?”

“I’m … doing all right,” Katriel said, a bit unenthusiastically. “This past week was a bit insane, with the recovered officers and all their evaluations, but Matt came by a couple nights ago, so it wasn’t all terrible.”

“Pretty sure recovering six officers who were previously thought KIA is unequivocally a good thing,” Brian noted, sardonically.

“It is, it is,” Katriel conceded. “I mean, I feel like I’m not really as surprised as I should be, that the KIA declaration was wrong. But it’s still just a lot to deal with, emotionally, especially since I was really familiar with a few of them.” Her head tilted back a bit, to look at the ceiling. “Mostly happy things, but I had to make some difficult decisions, evaluations-wise.”

Brian knew better than to ask any more into that. “What about the status of the station? Gonna get to go back soon?”

“I thiiiiink so. I haven’t been paying too close attention, but my understanding is that the major internal facilities cleanup is happening now. There’ll be an announcement or instructions on the move back at the beginning of next week.”

“And then it’ll be time for your second ceremony, yeah?” Brian cheerfully introduced the topic.

“When everything’s settled down and if I can get my leave request approved for a honeymoon, yes,” Katriel agreed quietly. Her expression stretched dubiously as she realized who she’d be petitioning for the time off now. Urf.

Her sibling didn’t even have to be in the same room to imagine what she was thinking. “He should give it to you. You already delayed everything because of what happened with the base.”

“We’ll see,” Katriel refused to hope or despair needlessly.

“It’s like one of the few things Neema is really enthusiastic about,” Brian heedlessly went on. “She’s been polling me for ideas about your bachelorette.” He grinned widely at the screen. “I mean, I didn’t even know you were going to have one!”

Katriel fought the urge to burrow under the blankets. “Um, I have to get going here, say hi to Neema for me. You should get delivery from that one Trill place, on the pier. She’d probably like that.”

Brian brightened. “Oh, good idea. I’ll call them now. Have a good day, Katriel.”

“You too.”

11 Likes

Sometimes… the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.
- A.A. Milne

Mister Svenson, if you would please present your token of marriage
and take Miss Sedai’s hand, repeating my words as follows.
I give you this ring, as a symbol of our undying love.

I give you this ring, as a symbol of our undying love.

For today and tomorrow, and for all those yet to come.

For today… and tomorrow, and for all those yet to come.

Know my love is forever present, even when I am not.

Know that my love is forever present. Even when I am not.

Miss Sedai, if you would please present your token of marriage
and take Mister Svenson’s hand. - and repeat my words as they follow.
I give you this ring, as a symbol of our love.

I give you this ring, as a symbol of our love.

For today and tomorrow, and all those there-after.

For today and tomorrow, and all those thereafter.

Wear this as a sign of our promise shared today-

Wear this as a sign of our promise shared today…

And know that my love is forever yours.

And know that my love is forever yours.

12 Likes

“Maybe you could get Ops to install a bathtub for you, in place of the sonic shower?”

Matt’s breath tickled her ear as he made the almost ridiculous suggestion. The betazoid laughed lowly, snuggling comfortably in his arms. This idea to sit for a painting hadn’t struck her as all that fun or interesting at first, but then Matt had sold it as an excuse to hold her close the entire time.

It was nice when the decisions became really, really simple to make.

The two of them sat on an overlook that afforded them an expansive view of the small city in the distance, situated on its high bluff, and the sun just beginning to set. Their painter was situated a few more paces away, capturing the pair and their scenic backdrop on canvas with swift and sure brushstrokes.

“And just leave it filled the entire time? What do I do when I need to shower?” Katriel asked, picking up the thread of spectacularly hypothetical conversation that the two so often enjoyed.

“Borrow your neighbor’s,” Matt answered, without missing a beat.

“Hmm, yes, just what I need, more reasons for me to be late to work in the mornings in case they’re not available,” Katriel mused.

“Or! OR!” Matt’s eyes lit up in excitement for his incoming clearly genius idea. “You should just get Ops to install a retractable floor in the main area, so then you can put a pool underneath it!”

Katriel had no trouble imagining how this would work and was privately a little sad that there was no way she could make it happen. “I’m sure that will make the neighbors below me really happy.”

Matt squeezed her closer. “Just invite them up every weekend and they will totally let you do it,” said the man who had answers to everything.

Even their painter chuckled at this one. Matt smiled towards their left, pleased that the joke had landed with a stranger. “Say, do you mind if I ask? You’re not a native here, right?”

The artist shook her head. “Just a visitor, like yourselves, originally. I actually only meant to stay for a week, but things didn’t go as I planned.”

“Oh yeah?” Matt curiously prodded for more. Katriel was content to listen.

The painter obliged them with the story. “I piloted my personal shuttle here and … actually, it malfunctioned when I came into land, so I had to emergency eject and the shuttle itself was totalled. Lost everything I owned, except my pack and easel.”

Matt winced sympathetically. “That sucks.”

The painter smiled, even as she kept up her focus on her task. “It did, but it turned out to be a wonderful accident in some ways. I’m still able to access my citizen’s stipend here, so I stayed at local inns. Then I found that the market was hiring painters for commission work, which is sort of my dream job. So even though I’ve saved up more than enough for a new shuttle already, I’m staying a little longer until I feel ready to move on. I love meeting new and interesting people, gathering inspiration, immortalizing memories.” She playfully waved her brush at them.

Matt smirked a little, looking towards Katriel with a gleam in his eye. “Not that you need any help with that,” he joked.

Katriel snorted once before posing her own question to the artist. “Any particularly fun memories of your own, of commissions you’ve done for others?”

The painter laughed brightly at the question. “Oh, so many! Where to start? I had a little boy ask me to paint his pet chicken for him, but he wanted it to be really detailed and the cursed thing just wouldn’t sit still, so it took me ages to get the feathers right.”

It was Katriel’s turn to look sympathetic there, but the painter didn’t dwell on it. “There was also that time I helped one of the local businesses get off the ground… quite literally. She was having trouble with advertising her hot air balloon service, but I helped her with a poster design and soon customers were pouring in. She was so grateful!”

“Oh, we did that,” Matt remarked. “Neverland Rides, right?”

“Yes, that’s the one!” the painter confirmed. “I had to help her with the name, too. She had… terrible taste in names. But I thought Neverland had at least some good associations to set off the negative ones, so it stuck.”

“And… oh,” she continued, never taking her eyes off the canvas. “Probably one of the most memorable was when I painted a fisherman and his catch of one of the most gigantic bitterfish I’d ever seen! He was really proud of it because the fish had swallowed his wife’s wedding ring when she accidentally dropped it in the lake and he’d spent three years going after this one fish to get it back. Finally did, or so he claims, so he wanted a painting of him and the fish.”

“I get that,” Matt said very solemnly. Katriel’s shoulders shook a little in silent laughter.

“But I’ll treasure this memory, too,” the painter commented. “Of a newlywed couple who kept laughing the entire time I painted them.” She smiled a bit slyly as she stepped back from her canvas, lowering her palette and brush.

Matt perked up in recognition. “Oh, are you done already?” He nudged Katriel in the back, urging her up, eager to have a look. The betazoid shifted her weight over to an arm and pushed to her feet, offering a hand to her partner to help him likewise up. The two of them came over to see the painter’s finished work.

“Wow,” Katriel breathed, startled by the accuracy of the scene. She had finished so quickly, Katriel had begun to think the style would be more abstract as a result, but this was nearly as good as a photograph. Matt was right, her memory was usually pretty good, but she certainly wouldn’t mind having this painting as a backup.

“It really looks amazing,” Matt seemed similarly impressed. “We’ll treasure this forever, for sure. Thank you!”

“My pleasure,” she answered, pleased with their reception.

“You said you sell your works at a shop in the market?” Katriel asked, studying the painting closely.

“Yes,” the painter confirmed as she started to pack up her materials. “We take commissions there, but we also have a lot of finished pieces for sale, if you’re interested. Please feel free to stop by and have a look!”

“Oh, we definitely will. Thanks so much.”

8 Likes

Katriel tapped through the tabulations on her console, with a faint frown on her face.

On her screen were the station’s total department personnel numbers going back for the past month and a half and, though the overall population continued to increase by drips and drops, the last major influx of transfers appeared to be dated a month ago. It seemed that the current ratio of department officers would be permanent, which left her with a very unusual dilemma of actually being overstaffed.

“Huh.”

She doubted her officers would get bored exactly, but they might not be utilized to their fullest potential if things stayed this way. Something that Captain of Starbase Efficiency might not especially like and Katriel had yet to decide how she felt about it herself. Overall, a situation that warranted further consideration.

The console made a noise to signal an incoming message, from an external non-starbase source. She tapped the call to answer it, audio only. “Sedai here.”

“Greetings, Ms Sedai,” came an unfamiliar voice over the comm. “This is Doctor Korryl. I’m the CMO of the USS Osprey.”

Katriel’s heart felt like it had skipped several essential beats. “Hello, Doctor,” she responded, faintly.

The physician’s words came quickly and confidently. “First, let me reassure you that Matthew’s going to be fine, he just needs a few days of rest and recuperation.”

The depressed little organ in the betazoid’s chest resumed its labored pace. “Oh, stars. Thank you for leading with that.”

“I like to resolve heart attacks, ma’am, not cause them. Are you aware of any of the details of Team 34’s recent mission?”

“A few, not too many,” she answered. “I knew it was possible I wouldn’t be getting any calls for a short while.”

“The short version is that they were undertaking a recon mission on a particularly inhospitable M-class when their shuttle was attacked by unforeseen Breen hostiles. They were able to abandon the vessel and evade the hunting party, but the planet’s atmosphere prevented normal transporter use in specific multi-day intervals and they had next to no supplies. They were on the run for about forty-six hours before the Osprey was able to retrieve them.”

Katriel’s imagination flew ahead to picture the haggard MACO team: dehydrated, starving, and exhausted as they trekked across a scorchingly hot desert planet. Or, er, maybe ‘inhospitable’ meant that they were freezing because the terrain was covered by snow?

“No one sustained any injuries?” she kept her question to the actually critical information.

“They were all pushed past their physical limits, with very little rest and nutrition, coupled with a high stress environment,” Korryl explained patiently. “We were able to bring down Matthew’s elevated myoglobin levels and there was considerable muscle damage and tearing, but nothing that a vascular regenerator won’t fix in a few sessions.”

Katriel exhaled a silent sigh of relief. “Thank you, Doctor. I appreciate you letting me know.”

“Always pleased to pass on good news, ma’am. I’ll make sure he gets a call in to you when he’s awake and able. Have a good day.”

“You too.”

The comm shut off with a click and Katriel sat back in her seat, heavy with the tense fatigue that came with solely emotional roller coaster rides. She had never been under any illusions that Matt’s work wasn’t dangerous, but this was the first time she’d actually ever been officially alerted to it before.

It’s just what being married means now, she quietly reminded herself. At least he’s going to be fine.

Katriel decided to quit working and take an early lunch, before she could add a ‘this time’ to the end of that thought.

13 Likes

You’ll never guess what I did today.

I was just leaving the holodeck corridor after my fencing workout when I saw a few other officers clustered around a sign posted outside Holodeck-A. It read “You are cordially invited” and the deck doors were wide open. At first I assumed it was for some party that I was not privy to, but then I was reminded of the curious toy program from a couple weeks back, so I followed the others in. Worst case scenario, someone would just kick me right back out, right?

(Or, well, I guess the actual worst case scenario would be that I’d actually get invited in and it turned out to be a nightclub party or horror holoprogram or… military combat simulation or something. No offense.)

Instead, it was just like before, the doors shut behind us and we were in a children’s storybook, but this time I actually sort of recognized the material. There was Pooh and his friend Tigger, although they didn’t seem to recognize each other (which did seem odd) and then a bunch of … hostile feels a bit too extreme a word… maybe, antagonistic? wildly colored stuffed creatures burst through the door and Pooh and Tigger seemed scared, so the lot of us defended them.

I suppose I was inspired by the fact that I was still wearing my fencing gear, so I snatched up a broom and dueled with a pair of elephant-looking creatures and backed them out the holodeck door, where they promptly disappeared (they’re still just holograms, after all). It was outrageous, unexpected and uninhibited fun – you would be very proud of me.

::there’s a long, thoughtful pause::

Speaking of surreal moments, I’ve just recalled a dream I had last night. I was … I was lying on my back, in a large empty field, planetside, and staring up at the sky. And even though it was day time, I could see the vast starfield above me, little points of light dotting a navy blue sky. I hesitate to call them actually stars because they were … drifting around a bit and there were lines drawn between them, almost like orbital lines, but that doesn’t make sense because you wouldn’t draw orbital lines directly from one star to the next – well, right, it was a dream, so of course it made sense.

So I was just watching these stars as they moved around and crisscrossed and new lines would get created between them or sometimes they’d be destroyed and broken apart. The way they moved seemed almost more like watching starship traffic patterns. There were these two stars that were fairly far apart, but nonetheless had many connecting lines drawn between them and one of them suddenly moved rapidly towards the other. Then right when they were next to each other, more connecting lines grew between them, before the first star moved back to where it was again.

I don’t know, maybe I was watching … like, atoms or something on a more quantum scale? Who knows. That’s all I can remember. Very odd, but the mood was pretty pleasant and relaxed and a little bit… wonderous, almost.

Anyway, on the previous topic, when the program ended, the others were quizzing the holodeck computer for more information on who is making these mystery holodeck programs. I almost felt bad for not being more curious about it because … well, you know me, normally my curiosity is of a degree to be rather unbearable.

But for whatever reason, I just don’t feel personally motivated to go find out who is making these programs happen, though I certainly don’t mind if the others try to figure it out. I assume it’s because you’re rubbing off too much on me in wanting to just let the magic be magic, this time. I hope if there are any more programs like them, I’ll get to see them.

Hoping you’ll get some free time soon!

((Backdated by a day.))

9 Likes