Player Survey

Player Survey

I'd like to get as many people as possible to respond in this thread. Feel free to respond in this thread or pm/mail me if you are more comfortable that way. Also, it isn’t necessary to have a response/reply for each question, but it would be great if you could also elaborate on your answers with a brief description. If you cannot, don’t let that hold you back from at least picking the answer that best suits you.

This is to help build interest and RP for SFK. There have been times in the past when we’ve run events that surpassed TFAs numbers, other times where we were right on par. However, lately we barely pull in more than a handful for RP events. We have two scheduled times for SFK through the week, yet I see plenty of players on during these times but so few participating in SFK RP. That is understandable, to a point, given Star Trek has always been about the Federation. I would like to get a feel from all the members of TFA/SFK to see how we can improve SFK RP participation.

1. If you don’t have a character in SFK, what is your reason(s)?
A) Not interested in playing KDF side
B) Just haven’t gotten around to it/not motivated
C) I’m not sure how to RP KDF side
D) I am in SFK
E) Other (Please explain)

2. If you do have a character in SFK, why do you not attend more RP events?
A) The scheduled time for RP does not work for me
B) I’m not sure/comfortable how to RP KDF side
C) There is more to do FED side
D) Other (Please explain)

3. What kind of RP would motivate you to attend more SFK RP?
A) Original Story Arc RP
B) Casual RP
C) RP through Cryptic content

4. Which “direction” do you think SFK RP should be going?
A) Continued tension with TFA through the cease fire
B) Cryptic content
C) Original content/stories created by us

5. What about TFA RP is it that you enjoy so much?
A) Its Starfleet
B) Interpersonal stories
C) Freedom to RP how I want

6. What is the reason you don’t do as much RP in SFK as you do in TFA?
A) Star Trek is only about the Federation
B) I don’t understand the KDF side of the game
C) Not as many people get on for SFK

7. If you prefer Fed side over KDF side to play, why?
A) More clothing options
B) There use to be more content but now it is even
C) More ship options
D) Star Trek is only about the Federation

When responding, please list the question number and your choice. Remember to elaborate on your answers as best as you can.
4 Likes
PM sent. C'mon guys, do it!
1. If you don’t have a character in SFK, what is your reason(s)?
D) I am in SFK

2. If you do have a character in SFK, why do you not attend more RP events?
A) The scheduled time for RP does not work for me
(Same for most Fed RP events but to a somewhat lesser extent due to the fact there's more often Fed RP than KDF RP)

3. What kind of RP would motivate you to attend more SFK RP?
A) Original Story Arc RP
B) Casual RP

4. Which “direction” do you think SFK RP should be going?
A) Continued tension with TFA through the cease fire
C) Original content/stories created by us

5. What about TFA RP is it that you enjoy so much?
A) Its Starfleet

6. What is the reason you don’t do as much RP in SFK as you do in TFA?
I feel that it's unfair to say that Star Trek is not just about the Federation because I believe that is untrue. The truth I feel is that all Klingons seem to be portrayed as essentially space Vikings and all they care about is honor and battle, and I have difficulty with Roleplaying a character so (to me anyway) so one dimensional. That is why my main SFK toon is an Orion because I feel I can act more freely with her character than I could with a Klingon. The truth is is that if there is a SFK RP going on I'm more than willing to hop on and join in, but the main issue is that most of the RP events start at 7 PM my time while I'm still at work and by the time I get home (which often can take another hour+) eat dinner then finally drag my butt online it's 10 or 11 PM in the East and the RPs are all but over. Add to that with SFK RPs being once or twice a week and that's like trying to throw a moving dart at a moving target. There's going to be lots of misses. While I would not ask for the star times to be pushed back because I understand that most people could never stay up that long but I think if there are more RPs a week then that will add opportunities for people to join.

7. If you prefer Fed side over KDF side to play, why?
A) More clothing options
(Who needs more ship options when you have the B'rel Retrofit? :p)

I wanted to add this as an aside to my above novel, but I felt it fit better down here. I want to bring up an example. I am a Star Wars nerd as some of you know, and am a huge sucker for the heros of the story. The Jedi, Republic, the Rebels, etc. You know the "good guys." But when I play SWTOR, I spend 95+% of my time on the Imperial side of things. The reason for this is this is where all my RP friends are and where I've invested most of my time and effort into building my characters' gear and stories. Now I'm not saying I haven't devoted any time to my Republic characters, because I have. But not to the extent that I have Empire side.

Now, I don't know the exact numbers, but since Cryptic has opened up all 3 factions to starting out at level 1 but I'd imagine that for every new player that rolls a Klingon or Romulan, there's 2, maybe 3 that roll a Fed. The thing is, that for as often as we see the Klingons or Romulans in Trek, we see the Federation and Starfleet at least 90% of the time if not more. It's what people know. Add to this the number of us who joined the game when there was no Romulan Faction and Klingons were locked until level 24 Fed side we had no choice but to roll a Fed. So that means we spent a disproportionate amount of time on our Fed toons, both building up their gear, levels resources, and for us RPers, our stories, that by the time we rolled a Klingon, we were already too invested in our Fed characters to do much else than treat our Klingons as an alt. Now I understand that there are of course always exceptions to this rule, but I feel that this may be the reason why KDF side just isn't as appealing to many people. I'm not saying we need to give up on KDF RP. Far from that. All I'm saying is that these are the issues that need to be overcome. And I understand the conundrum here. On the one hand, RP draws RP. If there's regular, fun RP going on, then that will draw people in to the point where the RP will self propagate. But in order to start the RP, you need people involved in RP from the outset. Fed side is usually swimming in RP because we're all on our Feds anyway, it's easy to transwarp to DS13 and start the RP anew especially if there's some already going.

That's all I really have to say. I wish I could provide suggestions as to how to fix the problems, but I really don't know what to say that wouldn't just be generic twiddle that anyone could think of really. Sorry :(

Anyway, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading.
3 Likes
1. D. Proud Member.

2. Partially time slot (works for me but it's a little late if we run long because I work nights), partially short attendance and/or lack of prepared events. Love the events when they happen, but I get tired of the same old gathering at the bar (TFA side is just as guilty of this).

3. All of the above! I love it when people pull out some original ideas to go with, or just figure something to do on the fly. I think Klingons, overall, are somewhat limited because they're so tightly fit into a certain stereotype, but we've done a good job of expanding on it where we can. I'm loving some of the more unconventional characters that I've seen and I'd love to see more!

4. As others stated, tension with TFA, but at the same time some tense cooperation. Current in-game mechanics make that difficult but if we get creative, we can find ways. Also loving some of the stories people have developed and I'd love to see more.

5. I love the stories and interactions everyone weaves together. Some of the stories (both in-game and on the forums) are just amazing. I love to see the growth, change, and conflict that fills out the roster every time we get together.

6. First, Starfleet is far more diverse. KDF diversity is kinda anti-canon in my mind. This could make for some interesting personal conflicts, but it hasn't really been capitalized on yet. Also, of course, attendance. It's far harder to find a good group to run around with SFK side.

7. Largely the diversity aspect I mentioned above. Every Fed character you meet feels far more unique than a majority of the KDF characters. I know that I try to spin a very different personality and backstory for each of my characters (as we all do), but how much different can one Klingon Warrior be from the next? We all need the standard rank-and-file types, but without more participation, we'll never have enough outsiders and misfits to make the rank-and-file types seem rank-and-file. One example, Katriel. Kat is a major player on TFA side. Could that really be said of a counselor on KDF side? Even science and engineer types would be constantly considered almost second-class citizens with the kind of mentality that's generally associated with Klingons. Without more people playing support roles like that, the entire fleet will degenerate to an extended version of the DS9 episode "Apocalypse Rising", with everyone just shouting out war stories and drinking until they pass out. Over and over. I think we need far more of the "Lower Decks" type rather than just a hundred different Captains. Imagine DS13 without the dozen Ensigns and Lieutenants?

All in all, I love my Klingon (and my Reman), and largely enjoy playing them. I'd love to see more come to SFK and I'd love to expand both of their stories.
1 Like
1. D
2. D. I work six days a week, including Saturday so sometimes Saturday night was my only day I can go out since Sunday was the day I just wanted to rest. Although now that I'm single again, I'll be home more often on Saturday nights :p
3. B
4. A and C
5. B
6. C
7. E. In the early days I used to play almost KDF exclusively. Joined S.C which at the time didn't have a KDF fleet. Eventually S.C grew to TFA and SFK sprung up but SFK didn't grow at the same pace as TFA.
1. D
2.B
3.A
4.A&C
5. A&B Plus I just find it easier to RP as a starfleet officer.
6.B&C
7. E: I find it easier to RP on that side
1. D
2. A
3. A/B
4. A
5. C
6. C
7. A/B
For those uncomfortable with KDF RP, I strongly recommend either picking up a Klingon based book or reading some of the first person stories written by some SFK peeps...they're good at getting you into the right mindset.
This was also helpful at understanding the klingon way of life for me.

Star Trek Klingon
1 Like
wrote:
This was also helpful at understanding the klingon way of life for me.

Star Trek Klingon

Great video, made me think why in the world Cryptic made Pakleds playable :rotfl:
1-A/E-I'm horrid about playing my alts if I ever make them, have been in any MMO I have played. Quint is my most fleshed, Jarlaxle is a revamp of a WoW toon and I dont play him as much as I should, and Vangilder? Well anyone who has RPd with that toon the few times I do anything on him past level for Delta stuff can attest he is a serious work in progress.

2-NA
3-Really have no idea so cant answer lol

4-A-And I only say this because its gives both groups an opposition force that isn't governed by game story arc or by foundry limits.

5-A,B,C

6-D-mainly no toon but otherwise, and yes this maybe inexperience but I just don't seem to enjoy Klinks. Mainly due to a combination of growing up seeing them as the guys everyone loves to hate but also they, to me at least, seem a bit to extreme as far as RP and story goes, I've played a small bit of the Klingon game path and just became annoyed with the presented characters.

7-E-I suppose because hey as a kid growing up I always wanted to be a Starship Captain lol,drew my own ship along side the Enterprise several times growing up, it even influenced my original career choice to go into Aero-space engineering. (Don't ask how I got to Corrections instead it'll make your head hurt...Mine still does)
2 Likes