Report: Azedi Trajector Defense Field Testing

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96355.6
FILED BY:
LTJG Serris Zital
SECURITY:
Level 3 - Restricted

OBJECTIVE: Deploy and test new defense against Azedi wormhole trajector propulsion

OUTCOME: Defense system successfully implemented, total loss of Yellowstone-class Runabout U.S.S. Okavango

KEY PERSONNEL:
CMDR William Levesley
CMDR Mishune sh'Sonora
LT Alex Niraj
LT Valore
LTJG Serris Zital

NARRATIVE: Lieutenants Niraj and Valore coordinated the satellite net test from operations while Commander Levesley and myself assisted with deployment and testing the anti-FTL field aboard the Runabout Okavango. Commander sh'Sonora observed from operations. The satellites were deployed in a spherical grid along the Deep Space 13 defensive perimeter using transporters and tractored into position by the Okavango. Unforeseen interference from a local solar flare event and a coding error in the platforms' initialization protocol hampered efforts to bring the static warp shell online, but we ultimately succeeded in deploying the defense system and testing the remote activation.

The Okavango attempted to penetrate the field at low warp, and was spectacularly unsuccessful. Refinements to the defense net's subspace field configuration proved unexpectedly effective, causing catastrophic warp engine failure when attempting to breach the barrier. The warp field immediately collapsed upon crossing the threshold, the rapid, uncontrolled deceleration shearing off the nacelles and causing micro-fractures along 98% of the hull. After stabilizing the craft, it was apparent that structural collapse was imminent. Commander Levesley and myself quickly ejected the warp core, then donned EV suits and disembarked before the hull imploded. Had we not thought to reinforce structural integrity prior to our test flight, we would have certainly perished.

Because the field hampers faster-than-light communications in addition to travel, emergency response time was significantly slowed. Fortunately, neither myself nor Commander Levesley experienced EV suit failure before we were retrieved by search and rescue personnel.

RECOMMENDATION: Disciplinary action as needed for loss of Runabout Okavango and endangerment of officers. Supplement the defense system with navigational hazard beacons that activate in tandem with the defense grid, as I strongly doubt that even class-9 warp drives would be able to function within the affected space, given today's results.

//ATTACHMENTS// okavango_event_log.txt (69.42 MB); platform_event_log.txt (97.87 MB)

5 Likes

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96355.6
FILED BY:
LT S. Valore
SECURITY:
Level 3 - Restricted

ADDENDUM: This officer was observing the test when the solar flare occurred and proceeded to assist after a request from the attending Operations officer. This officer has the following observations to make:

1) Further tests of the device during abnormal situations is recommended, should a weakness be detected.

2) Emergency countermeasures should be considered with regards to responding to emergencies while the field is active, such as orbital support platforms. It would have taken far too long to send a rescue transport were the environmental suits to malfunction.

3) This officer would recommend that risk assessment be made before utilizing crew for these tests. Had Commander Levesley and Lieutenant Zital perished, the project may have been placed into jeopardy.

These are the opinions of this officer based on what was observed.

OOC: Valore's opinion.
4 Likes
SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96357.4
FILED BY:
Commander W Levesley
SECURITY:
Level 3 - Restricted

NARRATIVE OF RUNABOUT LOSS:
The Lt has covered the set up and execution of the test within his report therefore I will be focusing my own addition on the loss of the Runabout Okavango.

After the violent deceleration Lt Serris Zital quickly stabilized Okavango whilst I performed a system scan. Remarkably our power systems were operating at peak efficiency (for the time being at-least). However extensive micro-hull fractures were detected in 98% of the hull (Starfleet Corps of Engineers should be informed of the continued robustness of the runabout design).

Thanks to the reinforcement of the SFI field as well as the warp containment field, with power from weapons and all other non essential systems prior to the test, the Okavango was still holding together though clearly showing signs of strain. I suggested that we immediately don EVA suits in the event of the hull and vessel being compromised further.

With our safety for the moment increased Lt Serris Zital and I quickly went about securing the data from the test. At that point the rear cabin of the Okavango was exposed to space. Quickly the EPS systems started to fail at this point it was clear that the chances of salvaging the vessel was diminishing.

Ejecting the Warp core was then the clearest action to take to ensure that an explosive reaction was not caused. At this point all of the data had been secured and we decided to abandon ship.

In order to ensure that we were at a safe distance from the Okavango we utilized the transporter systems. However the Increasing instability of the EPS meant that we had to go one at a time. I instructed Lt Serris into the transporter so that I could beam him away manually. He objected at first however I was insistent that he did so.

Once Lt Serris Zital was away the EPS failed further and the transporter could not be used a second time. The hull continued to show stress with the seals around the forward viewports starting to degrade. In order to avoid explosive decompression I used the remaining atmospheric controls to vent the internal atmosphere of the Okavango.

The forward hull section then crumbled away and thankfully I was able to leave the vessel of my own volition. Pushing off I was caught in some of the shrapnel of further collapsing bulkheads, which damaged my thruster pack but otherwise left my suit undamaged.

I regained contact with Lt Serris Zital and we awaited rescue from the station.

Reccomendation:

1) Further tests of the device during abnormal situations should certainly take place. We now have valuable data to support further simulations.

2) Lt (j.g) Serris Zitals hould not bare responsibility for the loss of the Runabout. Whilst in hindsight the test should have been conduced by an unmanned shuttle it was important that Lt Serris Zital and I were on station nearby to allow for local data access to the satellites. He was the project lead and it was not my place to instruct him how to conduct this test.

3) As the senior officer I should have realized that this test posed a significant risk to life and materials and should have made every effort to minimize those.

4) Whilst the test caused the loss of the Runabout it does show that the project can work as intended. Whilst there are kinks to iron out it is my recommendation that the project continue and that this presents an effective defense not just against the Azedi but hostiles attempting to attack the base.

OOC: Levesley's opinion.
4 Likes
Stardate:
Filed By:
LT Valore, S.
Clearance:

On Call Response

ADDENDUM Project officially named Project Battlement and all classified information is to be compartmentalized accordingly. Following a meeting between fleet command, starbase command, and engineering, the starbase has been given autonomy over the project. However, it is to stay operational in case of emergency fleet action. Official minutes of the meeting can be found here.

3 Likes