Security Threat

To: LCDR Blake, K. (@Moose)
Subj: Security Threat

Good day,

Congratulations once more upon your new position, Lieutenant Commander. Unfortunately, it would appear that I have a security matter I must bring to you. During my last conversation with Citizen Tevalak at Event Horizon, the individual informed me that he believed he was being tracked and surveilled, and his messages and mail looked through.

Following up on such a concern, I found a tracking device implanted inside a photograph bearing sentimental value to the citizen that he carried around with him at all times. It is currently in my possession.

Given everything that he has told me, I do believe that there is an active threat to him and to others. I have chosen not to copy him into this message because I believe his fears that his mailbox is compromised to be accurate. If it would not be disagreeable, I would care to have the three of us meet in a physical location such as an office to discuss the matter further. I am keeping the tracking chip in my possession in a location that is difficult for others to access in the meantime.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander Valore
Adjutant
Office of the Admiralty

OOC Loxton is running this arc. Send any GM-esque questions their way!

3 Likes

To: LCDR Valore, S. (@Valore)
Subj: RE: Security Threat

Lieutenant Commander,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. If I am not mistaken from the various advertisements on the promenade, Tevalak is the proprietor of an ice cream parlour within the station?

Considering the tracking device you found, and where it was located, I do agree with you that there is a high cause for concern, and a face to face meeting will be best, once we can be assured there are no other tracking devices. An extended transporter filter sweep should be sufficient.

Unfortunately as it stands, my office is currently still unavailable for use, and the main security suite may raise undue alarm. Under the circumstances, we may be best conducting such a meeting in a civilian section of the base. Perhaps one of the diplomatic preparation areas?

Finally, while I understand your desire to keep the tracking device in your possession, having an unknown party being able to potentially track a member of the admiralty’s office is unlikely to be in our best interest, not to mention this unknown party will likely also now be aware that we have discovered the tracking chip. I must therefore insist the chip be handed over to the security department for analysis and deactivation as a matter of urgency.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander Kara Blake
Chief Security Officer
Deep Space 13

3 Likes

To: LT Provenza, J. (@Nimitz); ENS Ersa, A. (@Aev)
Subj: FW: Security Threat

Lieutenant, Ensign,

Please look into this matter, I believe we have strong indications that Citizen Tevalak is under some form of threat. While the immediate and direct tracking has been removed, this has the potential to cause our unknown party to realise that they have been discovered.

Lieutenant I want you to investigate the business of Tevalak’s, find his competitors, staff, anyone who might hold a grudge. If an item that is always on his person has been compromised as a tracking device, we are potentially looking for someone close to our victim, so as much as I hate to be cliché, any one could be a suspect at this stage.

Ensign, once I’ve recovered the tracking device I want you to investigate any details about its construction and potential evidence. Hopefully it has not been contaminated by now and will still prove useful.

//SIGNED//
Chief Security Officer
Deep Space 13

2 Likes

To: LCDR Blake
CC: ENS Ersa
Subj: RE: FW: Security Threat

Another Ice cream related crime? Fine… I’ll look into it.

PS, isn’t this the same Tevalak that stole Lieutenant Loxton’s likeness for a walking billboard?

//SIGNED//
Detective Jackson Provenza
DS13 Security.

3 Likes

To: LCDR Blake
CC: LT Provenza

Yes, that’s him. I’ve been hearing reports his holographic Personal Assistant, known only as ‘Wallstark’, is running his business these days. Tevalak is antagonistic towards me, probably because I have refused to grant him a personal weapon licence. As a result of this, whenever I encounter his PA, Wallstark, I am given a frosty reception and some veiled threat. At first, I shrugged these off until an incident on the holodeck where I was injured while running a program with Lieutenant Kelak. These were due to the safeties being off when I had specifically left them on before running the program. I knew I couldn’t have made such an error and ran a diagnostic, I just received the results this evening and have linked them for you to see.

The results were that the program had disengaged safeties using my access code during the portion of the program where my character was tortured. Furthermore, I remembered during the portion of the story where my character was tortured, the assailant sounded like Wallstark, but his appearance was that of another of the program’s characters.

I realise this is all circumstantial evidence at this point and there is no conclusive proof of Wallstark’s involvement in this tracking device, tampering with the holodeck safeties or, indeed, assaulting me. I am just airing my suspicions and wondering if Tevalak’s PA might be a legitimate security concern.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Nick Loxton
Security
DS13

//ATTACHMENT// HolodeckDiagnosticResults.ext

1 Like

To: LT Loxton, N.; LT Provenza, J.

Thank you for your insight, it appears you are correct and I am now placing Wallstark as our top suspect. If this Wallstark is able to alter holdeck safeties outside of his own program, using a security level clearance no less, we must assume that portions of the computer are compromised. Determining how this came about will be a task for later.

Lieutenant Loxton, given the circumstances I want you to remain in secured areas of the station away from holoemitters with Tevalak. You’ll have to put your differences aside for now and protect him. Once the immediate situation is resolved find out what you can about the construction of Wallstark. If there is a single quad of unsecure code in his construction I want to know about it.

Lieutenant Provenza, find out what you can about Tevalak’s business as has been led under Wallstark, however this is now a secondary priority. Your immediate priority is to liaise with the Operations department and shut down Wallstark before we lose further control of the computer.

//SIGNED//
Chief Security Officer
Deep Space 13

To: ENS Ersa, A.
Subj: FW: Security Threat

Ensign,

The tracking device has been recovered and is stored in security locker 12-B.

Please investigate the device and ascertain its origin and creation. While we are now fairly confident the attacker is the holoprogram known as Wallstark, this device may hold clues or code that will help us shut down the rogue program.

//SIGNED//
Chief Security Officer
Deep Space 13