SFK Uniform

For those that have missed it, this is coming with the new season update.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6003273

As you can see, there is a free version of the Bortasqu' uniform. It will be the standard uniform for SFK once it arrives. However, before we do that we will need a color scheme and design etc.

You guys can start brain storming now and play with it on the Tribble server.

I'd like to see it as a collective group effort so that we can make as many people happy as possible.

The only thing I will dictate is that we will not use Starfleet color pattern. No amount of pleading or asking will convince me to even consider using yellow for ENG/TAC/OPS, red for Command, and blue for SCI. We can use those colors, just not for their corresponding career path as per Fed side. We may want to consider different colors as per rank instead of career, just to be different.

I don't currently know what/if baldrics can be used with this uniform. But as this is the former Fleet Uniform unlocked at Klingon base tailors, there should be one. I do not know if the color is customizable or not.

If you get on Tribble to play with it or wait until it hits with the update, just post your explanation with a good screen shot so we all can review it and help come to a collective choice as to what would be best for an official SFK Uniform.
Awesome! Can't wait to sport the Vet jacket on my Klingon. I totally agree on fact that blue/red/gold is totally a Starfleet thing. Even though we never had an official uniform for SFK, I think it was an unwritten rule that the KDF uniforms didn't have to follow that division color pattern.
Oh nice. If only those were available to Romulans, if for a more unified appearance.
I think they are available to the romulans. Or are thy not? I thought I could put my ROM in the oddy uniform.

If not, that brings up a good point. We will need variations for romulans, contractors, those who can wear the vet jacket, etc.

I'm in favor of saying no baldric (sash) for nonKlingons. To me its like the bajorian earrings, you can be in the militia and not bajorian so it doesn't mean you have to wear the religious/cultural garb. Though if an alien wants to wear one I'm sure there is an easy IC reason that can be developed.
Rom's get the BOFF only ones for their KDF BOFFs. Same with Fed side. It would be nice to have a uniform EVERYONE could use...
I seriously doubt any contractor (since most are Orions) will want to wear a uniform of any sort. If policy is changing and SFK is considering adding a uniform requirement, maybe make it a requirement for base personnel only?

The Klingon Empire has always had a military comprised of House Militia's. That really doesn't imply a sense of uniformity, especially since the "religion" of the major race of the Klingon Empire emphasizes personal victory in battle and glorious death. When each of the Houses got together for an event, it was fairly easy to tell which Klingon was from which house or from no House of consequence. All the other races of the Klingon Empire are tied to various houses. (Yes, even the Orions. The witch queen of the Syndicate makes the Klingons think they are in charge in spite of the reality we all know exists.)

Since the history of SFK as we know it currently involves the close friendship between our glorious general and his now deceased Council Patron, it would be perfectly logical to have the Base Personnel and all ships that are part of said dead Councilor's House have the same uniform.

But the other Houses of the Empire allied with said dead Councilor's House wouldn't be looking exactly like them.

TL;DR: The new uniforms are spiffy, but we might not wanna make it a requirement.
I see your logic. And it will be considered. The state of the KDF is much different from the FED. With the exception of the Leethians (maybe not even them) none of the playable aliens are actually members of the Klingon Empire, they are just allies. So it wouldn't make sense for them to wear the uniform unless the individual IC has joined the Empire for whatever reason.

I would still like to explore the uniform option though. Perhaps variants of different uniforms per race. With the KDF being far note military-minded than the FED side it would make sense if there was uniformity amongst the combined forces within the Strike Force.

All of the race/individual government thing was already in the back of my mind. But I'm glad you voiced it so others can weigh in and perhaps come to an agreeable position.
1 Like
Only the Klingons (and technically the Gorn) are truly KDF anyways. The Orions just have an alliance with the KDF if I'm not mistaken. Nausicaans are mercenaries so would generally be less officially garbed. Same with Letheans. Granted, certain postings might require a more official uniform, but I'm sure most units would have a "working" uniform as well aside from their official one.
I agree.

All this talk has made me think more about our roster and potential pretty roster for the site. In TFA we divide up our forces as per their assignment to System Patrol, Allied Joint Command, etc. Maybe for SFK we will divide it up as allied forces. KDF, Orion Military, Gorn military, Romulans, etc. We all work together, hence why we are "assigned" to a specific Strike Force, but this would leave our "allies" to RP in roles more specific to what they want/envision their species does (Romulans spying, Orions making deals, Klingons killing, and so forth). They answer to the Strike Force which is ultimately a Klingon unit (As they were the original aggressors), but must also keep their government's interest in mind. I can't really come up with the words to explain this... but in my mind it gives players more freedom in stories and IC interactions while still keeping us in line. Think Allied forces during WWII, they all answered to Gen. Eisenhower but wore their countries uniforms and fought for their interest in it all. That's the logic I'm hunting for but having trouble putting it into words

Just spit balling ideas here.
I agree.

...but in my mind it gives players more freedom in stories and IC interactions while still keeping us in line. Think Allied forces during WWII, they all answered to Gen. Eisenhower but wore their countries uniforms and fought for their interest in it all. That's the logic I'm hunting for but having trouble putting it into words

Sounds about right! :thumb:
Sounds like you're thinking along the lines of vassals or protectorates. Similar to what the Romans did to conquered people, which makes sense. Funny though, I'd always seen the Klingons as more the Mongols mixed with a little bit of Chinese or Japanese and the Romulans as the closest equivalent of the Romans.

Honestly, I dislike how STO just seems to make the interaction between the Klingons and their allies so casual. I envision it as being far more strained and chaotic.
wrote:
Sounds like you're thinking along the lines of vassals or protectorates. Similar to what the Romans did to conquered people, which makes sense. Funny though, I'd always seen the Klingons as more the Mongols mixed with a little bit of Chinese or Japanese and the Romulans as the closest equivalent of the Romans.

Honestly, I dislike how STO just seems to make the interaction between the Klingons and their allies so casual. I envision it as being far more strained and chaotic.

STO does it for the same reason that they have the Federation allow a bazillion different uniforms. The vast majority of the player base are civilians. They don't care about uniforms, they want their own pretty clothes. They also can't deal with factionalism -- they want to be able to go anywhere they want, anywhen they want, and certainly don't want to hear a bunch of negativity from some lowly NPC.
We're getting the new uniforms this week but I just realized that we're a long way from unlocking the tailor on the SB, we'd have to find a friendly KDF fleet with the fleet tailor unlocked in order to get the Bortas unis.
We're getting the new uniforms this week but I just realized that we're a long way from unlocking the tailor on the SB, we'd have to find a friendly KDF fleet with the fleet tailor unlocked in order to get the Bortas unis.
I've already started to dump resources into the Starbase for this reason, but we currently don't have a project to unlock the tailor. I don't know what level SB we need for it.

EDIT: Tier 3, which we are almost at.
We will still be able to access the Bortas uniform from a normal tailor. Those uniforms, like the oddy, are now "common" and not reserved for only fleets
While the default colors for the new uni look alright, they're a bit dark.

I found this site while looking for klingon uniforms, it has some interesting ideas.

He has some other neat stuff but it's a pain the butt to navigate, at least for me.
Heres my proposal for the fleet uni based on the image I linked in the post above.
Fleetidea_zps2808e375.png

First two unis are the same, one is the free version and the other is the long coat for those who have it, this uni would be fore ranks 2-7. The image on the far right is the Recruit version of the fleet uni for members rank 1 only. Once Cryptic fixes it, the unis would have the fleet patch on one side and the KDF pin (optional) on the other sleeve.

Belt colors are optional as long as they don't clash with the uniform.
Gloves are optional.
Sash is optional.

Although given the much larger variety of accessories that the KDF can use, I'm torn between keeping all the gear bortasqu or opening it up to peoples choices. For instance the bortasqu top and bottom but with different shoulder armor or boots.
I like that look!
Kelah, Ch'Bargh, and Trellana I believe all had on the Bortasqu uniform during the RP event, and I thought they looked good. Simple, utilitarian, no-frills uniform. I like that look S'Hauen.
I used the Bortasqu' Warrior armor during the RP, yeah. I just made the way that maybe someone meant for espionage would use it.