Species Dossier: Vestacean (WIP)

(Unfortunately, I do not have access to my notes until I fix my computer, so any inconsistencies between what I post here and what I have in my notes will be ret-conned :p )
((Additionally, I am just going to keep adding to this as I please, until I consider it more or less 'complete'))

Vestaceans were a species hailing from Vestace IV, an M-Class planet in the Vestace system, in a remote part of the Delta Quadrant. Following eradication and assimilation by the Borg, there are only a handful of known Vestacean survivors. Vestaceans are known for their impressive mental abilities, and nearly every member of the species is capable of telepathy, with a smaller minority also capable of telekinesis and clairvoyance. In 2391, the last of the Vestaceans formally joined the Federation.

Vestacean Culture and History

Little is left of Vestacean history, a few damaged computer records, and the recollections of the last surviving members of the species. What is known, however, is that Vestacean society had been travelling the stars before Humans had developed industrial society, and Vestacean explorers and scientists looked with wonder and awe to the galaxy. Unfortunately, their encounters led them to encounter the early Borg, and having dubbed them Species 17, the Borg spent the next 150 years attempting to assimilate and eradicate the species. Eventually, the Vestaceans began work on a transwarp conduit, using their own knowledge of warp theory to construct a device to transport what was left of their society to the Beta Quadrant. Their construction was successful, however, the last of their fleet had to hold the line, allowing a small ship of 250 to make it through the conduit before they destroyed it, attempting to keep the Borg from discovering transwarp technology. With the fleet finally making its last stand against the Borg, Arbiter Norix, in command of the V.F.S. Nillix, commanded the rest of the fleet to self destruct their ships, and take their own lives, to prevent Transwarp technology from falling into Borg hands. Echo Solvust, in command of the V.F.S. Sojourn, the ship meant to ferry the last of their species to the Beta Quadrant, ordered the few surviving members of her crew to enter stasis upon arrival to the Beta Quadrant. With power and life support failing, the crew of the Sojourn managed to enable emergency stasis procedures to protect the last members of the crew from extinction.

On Stardate (pending), a 24th century Science Vessel, the U.S.S. Burst, on assignment to the Beta Quadrant, discovered the drifting hulk of the Sojourn. The crew was able to revive only five members of the crew, including one Vestacean Simulacrum.

Physical Characteristics

Phenotypically, Vestaceans appear to be humanoids with slight, slender features compared to Terrans. They possess four limbs with five digits on each, and a relatively symmetrical internal organ system. Vestaceans also possess a redundant spinal cord and nervous system, which increases the species resistance to nervous system disorders. Physically, Vestaceans are incapable of building much muscle mass, a side effect of 'The Binding', and event in Vestacean history that genetically united the two native sapient species on Vestace IV, producing the Vestacean species in their current incarnation.. On their forehead is a cranial ridge, an evolution which contains several specialized psionic glands. Skin tone varies dramatically, allowing for a broader range of skintones than most known humanoid species. This is attributed to the Vestaceans ability to camouflage themselves via alteration of skin pigmentation. While this ability is generally under the control of a Vestacean by the time they reach adolescence, some Vestaceans have been known to change skin pigmentation when startled or experiencing strong emotions.

Vestaceans only demonstrate effectively one 'sex', as all members of the species are capable of giving birth, but secondary sexual characteristics that would commonly considered male or female can be present in any combination on a Vestacean. As such, Vestacean society never evolved strong concepts of gender, which can result in confusion between Vestaceans and more 'conventional' species'.