Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Spoiler thread)

it’s the “Romulan dance” all over again.

This weeks episode is the kind of episode I wish DSC would have done from time to time. Not necessarily something as silly or funny as swapping minds or playing Bingo, but giving us an opportunity to see the crew in situations that don’t involve the fate of the galaxy or life and death.

3 Likes

The bingo was great.

3 Likes

(not my cap)

3 Likes

I’ve said it before, and it remains true:

DIS was so afraid of having a bad silly episode that it wasn’t willing to have a Take Me Out To The Holosuite or a Qpid or a Bride of Chaotica.

Well, that was a different episode coming off last weeks light hearted episode.

I thought it was done well, though. I mean, not that it was very original, but it was well-executed.

2 Likes

This episode was great, but yeah, that twist felt like they brought on STO’s writers. :laughing:

This crew is so damn likeable though, especially Ortegas and Chapel in this episode.

1 Like

And that one was a gut-punch. Feels train go choo-choo.

1 Like

Did anyone else catch the Captain Sisko reference?

I didn’t, but I read about it today, and love it.

Kinda sad that the Chief Engineer is gone. It felt like we didn’t get to know him as well as we could have. Especially after that previous episode where we got to see a lot more of him (and in an unusual situation). The episode felt like a season finale which is a bit odd…isn’t there one or two episodes left?

2 Likes

That very well encapsulates my thoughts on this episode. I felt like it was a very good episode, but I didn’t like it, because it made me feel my feels like that. I also hope La’an’s leave isn’t too long. I still really don’t like the Khan tie-in with her, but in every other way, I really like her.

But Hemmer man… I felt like he still had a ton of traction as a character, and I wanted to see where he’d go for a few more years. I wanted to see him shake hands with Scotty, handing over Engineering.

Feels train go choooooo-choooooooo.

2 Likes

Seems like Romulans have a habit of showing up in possible future timeline episodes, heh heh. I hope we get to see those alternate timeline uniforms in the game some day soon.

I have mixed feelings on this episode. More Melanie Scrofano is a plus, and I think I like the lesson they are trying to teach both in fiddling with time, and that SOMETIMES trying for the better way is not the correct answer for the best outcome. But I don’t like Una getting hauled off. Seems like they’re trying to push us to a TOS roster too quickly? I didn’t hate whatshisname as Kirk, either, but I don’t know if I think he’s perfect in the role, either. It’s hard to put my finger on. It may just be that subconsciously, I can’t handle a low score of shatner-ness out of him, even though I know consciously that isn’t the best measure.

So the message is less that better way isn’t the answer so much that not everyone is the best person for a situation, and you can’t know how things will turn out. Pike would never second guess himself if he didn’t know his future, so he needed extra reasons to commit to that future, painful as it is for him.

The show isn’t saying Pike’s attempts to be peaceful with the Romulans are wrong. Far from it, Kirk even admits he wished that it had worked despite that he would have done differently (and in fact does in Prime), but the Romulans are the enemy that wouldn’t have accepted that attempt. This was a time that Kirk being in the position he is happened to be the best person for the job. Pike is still an excellent Captain and his methodology won’t and shouldn’t be condemned despite it failing. I do not think the show is suggesting it should be at all.

On Una, they’ve been setting it up, it’s not out of the blue, and she is in s2 so she’s not leaving. We aren’t trying to get TOS crew in fast, this was a flash forward with a twist, not a push to change sooner. Younger Kirk will be in s2, but not as the captain of the Enterprise. I’ll put money on that lol. Scotty’s vocal cameo was definitely just an Easter egg too. I don’t know if we’ll meet him sooner or not but I don’t think we need to read much into it.

My take on Kirk: He’s fine. Ethan Peck took a bit to get used to as Spock as well and with more time he eventually sunk in, but it took a while. This is our first experience with this Kirk and it’s impossible not to compare him to Shatner or Pine. I say if we are unsure, just wait and give him time. Maybe it won’t get better, but I bet we’ll get used to him as we did Ethan’s Spock.

For me, the only issue in the episode is the guy who played the Romulan Commander was less charismatic than Mark Lenard. But that’s a high bar so I forgive him. As such, 10/10 episode and season finale.

2 Likes

Anyone else notice that the season finale ended with an arrest…as did the season finale of LD?

2 Likes

I actually had mentioned this to Nimitz somewhere earlier. It amused me.

4 Likes