Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Spoiler thread)

Maybe I haven’t scrolled up enough to read everything, but has anyone else kinda noticed the parallels between this finale and Discovery’s premiere?

Romulans respect power position, a position Kirk took originally and prevented all out war…

S1 DIS had the same thing…(if I’m remembering right) where had Captain georgiou would have taken a firm/aggressive stance against the Klingons (as Burnam had tried to do) they would not have gotten dragged into that war. (If I’m wrong about this plz let me know, like I said it’s been a minute since I watch discovery, but it kinda felt the same when I saw it)

Also, both first officers get arrested, lol.

I noticed. As I said above, (and ScreenRant affirmed in an article, and even the title of the episode hints at), they are definitely sending a message that avoiding conflict at all costs is not always the best approach, here. And I like that. As much as I also like that Kirk even agreed that Pike tried for something better, and we see agreement in at least one Romulan.

The nuance is nice.

2 Likes

This year a new streaming subscription has come my way, and it happens to be the one with all the rights to Star Trek here in Canada. So, I finally tried the first episode of Strange New Worlds with my morning coffee. Convenience + boredom = new experiences: the equation for the 21st century human condition. If you find yourself in a similar situation, read on for my much belated opinions!

I think it was a really strong season opener (I even liked the intro credits sequence and the score!), the plot was tidy and maybe predictable but not boring. Uhura talking down a crazy pre-warp alien in the turbolift was probably a more plot-critical role than the character got in the entire first season of TOS, and a number of the other characters got opportunities to be more than just background faces. Pike’s brazenly illegal but morally arguable command decisions raise familiar and comfortable stakes. Oh man, they really did design this show for curmudgeons like me, didn’t they.

Well, not entirely. I think this episode would have been better if I wasn’t constantly distracted by Spock, T’Pring, Pike, Chapel, Uhura, Noonien-Singh (seemingly no relation but it has the same effect!), Kirk… the name drops go on like flashing billboard signs. All my foreknowledge about these names seems to have no significance to the plot, so why are they included in the first place? How does it enhance the story? They’re played and written pretty well, but I think I’d enjoy getting to know a fresh crew a lot more than adjusting to this uncanny-valley of re-imagined characters. So far, their old histories just serve as a barrier to my engaging with the rest of this new story.

I’m not sold on Ethan Peck yet, but Zachary Quinto really set a high bar for me. I already like Celia Rose Gooding better than Zoe Saldana, but that could have more to do with how little Saldana was utilized. Jess Bush has already given a lot of personality to what was (opinion alert) a pretty boring character in TOS, and I’m all for it. At the risk of rambling, do you see part of my problem with the recasting of old characters, and how they can be distracting? I’m not surprised at all to find I’m most interested in the new characters like Erica Ortegas and M’Benga, I’d like to learn more about their personalities and histories. I’ll try, too, with La’an Noonien-Singh, but I’d wager they knew exactly what they were doing when they reused that name, and I find it weakens her as a new character.

Of course I have to acknowledge the writers seem aware of this. I might even give them the credit of saying they’re trying to use it to their advantage with Pike’s arc. Unlike his fellow recycled characters, not only do we know how his story ends, but he knows too. I liked this idea when they introduced it in Discovery, I’m interested to see how he grapples with it. Spoilers are overrated; how a story ends is almost never the best part, it’s the getting there that’s exciting. If this season is going to run with that philosophy, I’m probably on board at least until they shake me off.

Oh, and I hope Pike gets some counseling. Being a captain and running around with hallucinations is pretty irresponsible. He does not get the Lauren seal of approval.

6 Likes

Someone on Mastodon said to me the other day that Kurtzman Trek can be a little like watching a kid smashing all his favourite toys together, and that resonated with me. There’s a lot of this kind of thing in all of the modern series.

It reminds me of Star Trek Online’s storytelling a little, actually. The Federation plot especially is like “here’s your mission, OH MY GOD JANEWAY IS HERE, now on to Klingon space, remember the planet killer? Here’s a planet killer! Let’s move on to DS9, there’s the Defiant! OMG LOOK IT’S GEORDIE! Remember Nog? NOG’S A CAPTAIN NOW!” etc.

I do enjoy Strange New Worlds, and bits of Discovery (Picard is hit and miss to me), but I think it all needs to distance itself from the constant callbacks and do something truly new.

2 Likes

I don’t think SNW is too terrible about that, but STO most definitely is. It is an orgy of cameos, and most of them feel weird in their context, because they are so forced.

1 Like

I’ve finished season one now, and I liked it. It wasn’t all good, but I’d say the non-serialized format was an advantage here, because a weak episode can just be a weak episode. High point was for me Spock Amok, which might be a boring answer but I’m a sucker for character dynamics, and I appreciated how well it turned me on to both T’Pring and La’an as interesting parts of the cast. My low point was… probably the finale. “I’ve seen this before” sums it up in far, far too many different ways. But, hey. It’s just a weak episode. I’ll watch another season.

I’m lukewarm on Pike. I find his casual, lax attitude is a little too prevalent even when there’s a crisis going on… but I can see they’re trying to strike at a new kind of Captain, so I’ll suspend my disbelief. I was really invested in Dr. M’Benga’s arc right up until the end. If they wanted the lesson to be that he had to let go of control, they could’ve spent some time working with that rather than what was functionally a goofy holodeck episode. I like the gorn even if it is a little campy, I am usually a believer in updating/retconning Star Trek aliens to suit newer stories (ask me sometime to rant about why the Discovery Klingons were excellent).

I still think this show would be better on a new ship. I think Star Trek is more than just the story of the Enterprise, even with how much that last episode tried to convince us otherwise. But they’ve built a strong crew of relationships and story hooks. I’d like to see them confront and maybe even change the Federation vs. genetic mutation thing next season rather than just take it as immovable canon, and you know, I’m feeling a little :pinching_hand: optimistic.

Oh, and

Lieutenant Ortegas' Pilot Face

is awesome. She flies, I buy it. Get lost, Tom Paris.

4 Likes

Not sure I agree on every point there, but your arguments have merit. For instance, I think Pike is awesome, but I think I understand your take.

But yes, Ortegas can fly the crap out of that ship! Wanna say it was episode 2 or 3 where they had that comet the aliens considered holy… she made that boat dance! Ortegas is best pilot. And she has good hair. :laughing:

2 Likes

So…when’s the bar going to start serving Plomek toilet soup?

Also, I rather liked the latest episode. When I saw it was time traveling, I was like oh… but I think they handled it well. It kinda felt at home with a TOS style kind of episode. Even had the Kirk love interest but from the point of view of the woman.

It was good to see someone in the crew get their backstory fleshed out as well. Wish DSC did more of that in the early seasons.

4 Likes

She left the gun in Khan’s room :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

She probably swiped the cannoli when we weren’t looking. Khan may now proceed to become the murder-hobo we all know and love.

Honestly, I don’t know if I really liked the story in this episode too much, but La’an and alt-Kirk were extremely well-acted here. I feel like they balanced things perfectly for being a pair who didn’t really know each other, and all the circumstances they found themselves in, starting from the Alterprise, while giving their characters some depth. Not wooden, not soap opera. I think it won big on characters, even if the plot was meh.

Still not sure if I really like this guy as Kirk, but if I tell myself he has a different name, he’s really great. But, I guess that’s kind of to be expected for anyone following Shatner in a role, without coming off as a cartoon. And I do appreciate that he doesn’t come off as a cartoon.

And I still think making La’an related to Khan is kind of dumb, and this episode doesn’t redeem that any for me, but man, Christina Chong is magnificent, and I really enjoyed spending more time with her character.

A time-travel episode involving Khan was almost never going to be good in my opinion, but this one at least felt like a good attempt at it by very talented people who care. So I think it was ok. I liked the first episode best still this season, but none of them have been bad yet.

3 Likes

La’an being related to Khan felt silly to me since last season but I think they got the whole linage thing out of the way with this episode. IMO, I think that will be the furthest from my mind as the season/series progresses.

1 Like

I hope so. It’s the least interesting thing about La’an. She’s really cool without it.

2 Likes

That was totally another TOS style story. While I’m excited to see Spock and Chapel admitting their feelings for one another, I also feel a little disappointed cause knowing whatever happens between them won’t last… so why even go there?

In TOS we always got that sense that Chapel had feelings for Spock but he always kept things professional. Even after Spock’s marriage ended, nothing ever came of Spock and Chapel and Chapel was almost all but forgotten by the time of the films. :pensive:

Also, how about T’Pring? I really like seeing her development. She genuinely cares and loves Spock, something that wasn’t all too clear when we saw her in TOS.

Yeah, this kinda seems like they’re setting it up so they should get together after T’Pring finally breaks it off in TOS. Yet they don’t.

Other than that, I loved the episode. More than solid, just really great character stuff going on for several people, but probably mostly Chapel and Spock’s mom.

1 Like

saw this else-forum and had to post it here.

6 Likes

I appreciated the Korby namedrop.

If seasons are still years and the TOS timeline is still to be believed, then we should see Chapel meeting and getting engaged to him either this season or next at the latest, since he’s gonna go missing in 2261.

2 Likes

On the same forum where I got that image, but more serious:
Someone noted that the oldest Vulcans, as of DISCO/SNW/TOS, would have grown up in an era (as seen in ENT) where Vulcan was not “merely” a founding member of the UFP, one voice among several, but the major power in the sector/quadrant … and absolutely insufferable as a result. A hundred years later, they’re finally starting to thaw and open up a bit, and that will continue over the next century (up to TNG, DS9 and VOY)… but Vulcan lives and generations and memories are long.

3 Likes

In Spock’s words: “Vulcans are jerks.”

1 Like

It’s a very small thing but I quite liked Pike’s little Fleet Captain pin.

3 Likes

It did contain appropriate levels of snazz.

1 Like