Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Spoiler thread)

Loved this episode though it was slightly off putting to see the Ensigns interact with the Enterprise crew so casually. I know in LD, regardless of rank, everyone seems kinda friendly to each other but seeing it in a live action show was kinda like…yeah an Ensign would never say half the things they said or be so familiar with crew if they were on the D. I could have totally imagined Riker privately saying something like, it’s okay to be excited, etc., but there’s a chain of command. Although, I think it also comes down to the Captain and how he runs his ship. Pike is much more open with his crew and probably encourages a little initiative from his people. Where as Picard was much more, by the book kind of captain.

Super small nitpick aside. Well worth the wait, and that intro…beautiful.

1 Like

This whole episode was glorious.

But about them being too casual… you’re kinda right, but I feel like all the side-eye they were getting kinda balanced the scales for me.

And I’ve been kind of meh on Pelia, but I did love her line about the floor. “I USE THAT!”

3 Likes

Hey, look at the time! It’s time for more of Lauren’s unsolicited thoughts & feelings!

I’m actually only two episodes into SNW S2 so far, but I did feel compelled to get a few things out of my system. The first two episodes are almost mirror images of each other, they could be from different shows entirely. In the first we have a bombastic, high-stakes risky adventure that throws regulation to the wind, and in the second we have a courtroom episode that spends its entire time exploring the ramifications of an infraction from years ago in one character’s past. The dichotomy struck me, to say the least.

Comparing the two, the season opener feels rushed, silly, and at the risk of sounding even more pretentious than normal I might venture immature. It may have benefited by being a two-parter, so that it would have more time to address its many moving pieces- but really I think it just needed to be toned down a little bit. Is M’Benga’s green superjuice something we knew about before? How about his strikingly loose interpretation of the Hippocratic Oath? In episode 2, part of Neera’s argument is that Starfleet breaks its own rules when it suits them to do so. I found it a little funny that no mention was given to the recent hijacking of the Enterprise by its acting captain.

All, however, is more or less forgiven. Ad Astra Per Aspera is the strongest courtroom episode I can remember watching. Here we have some writers daring to break new ground by poking at old, accepted canon, but doing so in a very familiar format- by putting a favourite crewmember on trial due to a complication of their identity. Like with Data before her, I was totally captured by Una’s struggle to gain freedom from the very organization she hoped would accept her. Unlike the previous episode I’m very happy with this one as a standalone, as extending it to a two-parter would have surely involved more of the conspiracy angle from the prosecution, which would only suit to water down the real meat of the story (Pike is a tall glass of water- which is to say, he waters down everything you put him in). As it is, they addressed yet skirted neatly around this obstacle with poise.

I’m still going to temper my glowing review with my main criticism of this episode, which was that in the end the writers chickened out. The state of the laws that Una became entangled with is unchanged, and I don’t expect we’ll see this string tugged on any more for a while to come (am I wrong, later-episode watchers?! I guess I’ll find out). That’s a shame, because I would have loved an episode almost exactly like this about the Prime Directive, where the Federation is called to question that law’s real validity. I was on the edge of my seat while Neera was skirting around doing just that, but I suppose it’s fair that she had other things in mind.

If these first episodes are any indication, the rest of the season will be a rollercoaster for me. But I’m looking forward to finding the other high points.

12 Likes

I enjoyed the singing episode more than I thought I would have. And also cause…
KLINGON_STYLE_Star_Trek_Parody_of_PSY_GANGNAM_STYLE

3 Likes

Captain T’Pain.

2 Likes

See, I really think SNW had brought fun back to Star Trek. The last few episodes have been… very diverse. And as a whole the season for me is accomplishing what I’ve wanted from modern trek.

I’m absolutely furious though, and at this point want this to be a frickin’ alternate reality where Pike lives forever, Spock and Chapel can do the thing and somehow SOMEHOW I’m shipping every other bloody character. disgusting.

6 Likes

Talking of shipping, ive been shipping Pike and Una since season 1. Great characters imo

1 Like

Hush. He’s already got Wynona Earp.

2 Likes

Haven’t even finished watching, but the second I heard that accent I had a very small smirk on my face.

2 Likes

I really liked the latest episode.

I liked seeing Ortegas so happy to be on the away team, and also having fun Ortegasing her way down to the planet. She needs a fun hat though, and it must be supreme. She must make a gorn-skin hat in the next episode, it is the only way.

2 Likes

Anyone else get mega excited at the Scotty reveal? Feels like the OG team is starting to come aboard. McCoy will be in next season, calling it now.

3 Likes

how am I meant to wait until 2024 (potentially 2025 due to strikes (edit to say support the strikes!)) for the cliffhanger to be answered :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

4 Likes