Star Wars Episode IX

Official speculation/discussion and eventual spoilers thread.

58BSIFi.png

--

Teaser trailer link for convenience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adzYW5DZoWs
6 Likes
Hi, yes....

I like the trailer....

*Fleeeeeeees*
1 Like
So Kylo makes a new helmet? That's pretty neat and that end...wow, as if visiting the remains of the Death Star wasn't cool enough, that laugh!

Oh, and Lando! :cool:
1 Like
Should be subtitled The Other Last Jedi.
1 Like
I will just say another time: uao.
I don't know what else to say. Is it this the classic example of when the third part of a trilogy is the best one?
So that's totally Palpatine laughing at the end, right?
1 Like
Yep JJ has confirmed ian mcdiarmid is reprising his role as Palpatine
Yeah it is. Ian McDiarmid came on stage even so....that's pretty guaranteed
So, in the new canon, they've pretty firmly established that dark-siders cannot persist after Death unless they're bound to an object or place. They aren't 'free', like jedi force ghosts are. We've had a few examples, so far: some in the Aftermath Trilogy, and one- one particularly relevant recurring one in the form of Lord Momin. Momin, an ancient sith artist and architect, became separated from his body while trying to do Sith Stuff and his body was consumed by the Dark Side, with his spirit residing in his helmet- a helmet that later came into the ownership of Palpatine.

Later, possessing a series of Imperial Architects, Momin designed Vader's castle on Mustafar above a force locus, attempting to create a pure nexus of the Dark Side, ostensibly to Vader's benefit. Shockingly, Momin betrays him; he repeatedly 'failed', knowing that Vader would kill his host each time, until the host his helm was placed upon was Force Sensitive. While native Mustafarians launched a raid on Vader's, Momin to the nexus beneath the fortress, and, tearing open a door to the Dark Side of the Force, manifesting his original body and reuniting his spirit with his body. After a prolonged battle, Vader does finally defeat him, but at great cost.

The helmet later appears in the Lando miniseries, aboard Palpatine's personal yacht. Even after Momin's second death, it was capable of corrupting those around it.

While it could be nothing, this all seems.. very relevant. My money is on Palpatine's spirit being bound to the wreckage of the second Death Star.
2 Likes
Kylo putting his helmet back together is a great allegory for JJ trying to salvage the storyline he had in mind before Rian decided to go rogue and turn the death of Snork into a non-event.
I'm not really sure where you're getting it being a non-event given that it's one of the most important scenes in the movie. It's the turning point.

Also, if you think that anybody producing a Disney film is allowed to 'go rogue', I want to know what alternate reality you're living in.

The concept that killing Snoke wasn't extensively discussed between Rian, Kathleen, the Lucasfilm Story Group, etc, before it was finalized as part of the script is silly.
Oh Jack. I've missed our talks.

https://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-episode-8-story-rian-johnson/
Literally from that link:

“J.J. wrote ‘Episode VII,’ he also wrote drafts for ‘VIII’ & ‘IX.’ Then Rian arrived and re-wrote [‘The Last Jedi’] entirely. I believe there was some sort of general consensus on the main storylines that would happen in the trilogy, but apart from that, we agreed that every director should probably make his movie his own way. Rian and J. J. Abrams met many times to discuss ‘The Last Jedi,’ although ‘Episode VIII’ is very much mostly Rian’s and I do believe Rian didn’t keep anything from the first draft of the ‘Episode VIII’ script.”

Sure doesn't sound like Rian 'went rogue', to me.

Let us examine further, though, to be sure, with a quote from Rian:

“He was into it. And I remember that I pitched him the story at the very beginning, and he had notes, but he wasn't like, 'Oh my God, what the hell are you doing?' [Laughs] No, he was into it because I think he was into the storytelling. He's a great storyteller himself and he saw the potential of each one of these beats. I think he saw it for what we were going for, which is not... we weren't going for, 'Let's subvert a Star Wars movie.' We were going for 'Let's make a great Star Wars movie that has things in it that will push the limits of what we can do.'

Didn't keep the original first draft =/= abandoned all preset plans or lore, haha- and if anything was happening that would break later intended plotlines, it's flat-out silly to think that at some point Lucasfilm wouldn't have stepped in and been, like, 'hey, nah'.
I'm not trying to get yelled at for arguing with you about TLJ again. This thread is about the next movie. Please just try and get used to the idea that I think the last one sucked, and it might come up once in awhile as I cautiously look forward to the new one.
That's fair, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit by while you pretend that Rian 'went rogue' and went against everything JJ was trying to do, man, when there are quotes from both of them that say otherwise.
You read things however you like, but I'm not "pretending" shit.
gaiz.

stoppit.
giphy.gif
4 Likes