Okabe Raiga (Step-Father)
    Human, Akihabara, Scientific Educator/Publisher
  • 河森 光ル kana: カワモリ ヒカル
    Kawamori Hikaru (Uncle)
    Human, Non-stationary, Federation Investigation Bureau

AWARDS

15v0HrL.pngkM7tK4G.pngC43VrjN.pngTHEnKPj.png
L3ZpVCp.pngKXabHvg.png
Starfleet Academy Graduation Award | Starfleet Bronze Star | Starfleet Medal of Commendation | Prentares Ribbon of Commendation x4 | Grankite Order of Honor
Iconian War Service Medal

ACADEMIC SERVICE RECORD

• 2414 | Enters Starfleet Academy as Tactical Cadet 4th Class with a focus on Flight Systems and Extra Vehicular Activity.
  • 2414 | Is caught in the middle of the Battle of Sol at the end of the Iconian War, being involved in a dangerous cross-Pacific shuttle flight to get to Starfleet Academy, under lock down and inaccessible to transporter, from her home of Tokyo, Japan. Personally witnessed a Starfleet ship sacrifice itself destroying a Baltim Raider in order to safeguard the convoy of shuttles. Had to take flight controls halfway in.
  • 2415 | Began Vacuum EVA training courses after certified during pressurized trials. Advanced to Cadet 3rd Class.
  • 2416 | Is allowed to begin training on actual flight systems for shuttles and other small craft.
  • 2416 | Transfers to the Academy Annex on Deep Space 13 to continue curriculum in the field after completing her second year at SFA. Is advanced to Cadet 2nd Class.
  • 2416 | Takes on part-time assignments on the U.S.S. Valley Forge aside from any other volunteer mission as a relief Flight Controller for training purposes.
  • 2416 | Returns to Earth during winter break just before New Years for family gathering and also to be present for the Coming of Age festival in Japan, held for young men and women of age 20.
  • 2417 | Begins final qualifications and practical testing for EVA Mastery certifications and license. Passes with full marks and obtains official license.
  • 2417 | Takes part in Diplomatic event with the Xedi, in which she unwittingly ingests a drugged cake and experiences euphoric and hallucinogenic effects for several hours along with other officers, prompting investigation.
  • 2417 | Finished third year of classes as is advanced to Cadet 1st class.
  • 2417 | Is involved in the evacuation of DS13 during an Azedi attack
  • 2417 | Helps out in any way through volunteering duties during stint on K-7
  • 2418 | Rejoins class on DS13 following the reopening of the station
  • 2418 | Completes her final year of studies and graduates from Academy with the rank of Ensign, being assigned as a helm officer on the U.S.S. Valley Forge.
  • 2418 | After serving on the Valley Forge for several months, decides an assignment closer to home is preferable for her early career and is routed back to DS13 to join the crew of the U.S.S. Endeavour.

BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION

Human of Japanese descent (Okinawan to be precise). Daughter of Kawamori Tadashi, but was raised on Earth (between her birthplace of San Francisco, where her mother worked, and in Tokyo where the two lived most of her life) by her mother Mitsuki Kaname after her parents divorced when she was barely two years old. She saw her father as a distant legend-like figure all her life who only occasionally visited due to the demands of his work in Starfleet. Not having him in her life left some desires and maybe a couple scars, but she hides those behind as facade of cheerfulness intended to appeal to others (lest they leave her life too). She never resented her father so much as just envied his life and wishes she could have been exploring the stars with him than stuck on boring Earth with her civilian engineer mother. When she was in her teens Tadashi has begun his 4 year exploration mission and they started to talk via video mails. She at some point became interested in joining Starfleet, inspired by her father perhaps. Her mother wasn't entirely enthusiastic but supportive all the same.

Joining Starfleet Academy, Rumiho pursued her interest in spaceflight directly by going into Flight Controller curriculum and wanting more of space itself, having built up a love for space as she grew up, decided to throw on an EVA specialization as well, a job not many officers ever fully qualify for in all aspects. She eventually got the point of being able to fly active shuttles and other small craft but is still in training, but showing promise. Her EVA skills are far ahead of the class however, as only just after her second year she is preparing for her S-class untethered EVA license exam. Before her second year was out she had earned the call sign "Tanpopo."

When her father completed his 4 year mission and was assigned to 38th Fleet Argo at DS13, she learned there was an Academy Annex there. Wanting to be near him and also get into the field to finish her studies, she requested a transfer and was approved. She graduated to Ensign in the Spring of 2418, being a certified starship helm apprentice, a master EVA in the Federation EVA guild, and gaining a post on the U.S.S. Valley Forge. After some service time she chose to come back to Argo and took a posting on the U.S.S. Endeavour.

MEDICAL HISTORY

PHYSICAL HEALTH ASSESSMENT

UP TO DATE: Y

EVALUATOR: CMDR Gakuno (MO, Starfleet Academy)

MENTAL HEALTH ASSESSMENT

UP TO DATE: Y

EVALUATOR: LCDR Morena (Counselor, Starfleet Academy)
4 Likes
((Updated with awards. Iconian service award refers to The Battle of Sol, she was on Earth in first year of Academy and was involved in indirect ways to earn the ribbon.))
3 Likes
((Updated with some more recent Service Record bullets, added a bit to bio, minor edits to info in characteristics and demographics. Most notably, I added name displays for Rumiho as well as her family members in hiragana as well as existing romaji.))
4 Likes
((Further update, focusing specifically on the names. I redid many of the Japanese text so they were written with various Kanji characters with subjectively appropriate meanings (more on that later) but kept the Hiragana writing in parentheses next to them in subscript to show intended reading (I acknowledge this is largely redundant since they are written in Romaji/English as well but I am getting better at reading hiragana so I wanted to do it, lol).

On the subject of the Kanji used in each name, I spent a while on this and will include an explanation in the following spoiler field for those interesting in following me down the rabbit hole of my Japanese language study.))

Spoiler: Annoyingly detailed notes on Kanji usageShow

So to start this, a brief explanation of Kanji for those interested but unfamiliar. Kanji is one of 3 writing styles for the Japanese language1. Unlike the other two (Hiragana and Katakana2), it is almost entirely made up of borrowed characters from Chinese and characters do not relate to specific syllables like the other styles but can be read as several different sounds with different meanings. If that sounds confusing, that is because it is. If you think there is some structured meaning or trick to it, then you'd be wrong. There is not. Kanji is taught and learned entirely via rote memorization and has almost no rhyme or reason to it at all. It is very stupid and annoying, and as a result is naturally used extensively in Japanese writing.

I have read that younger Japanese people are learning Kanji less and less and relying on hiragana and katakana to the point where some have trouble reading a lot of signs and writings using kanji. This might mean that there is a potential future where it is phased out.... or it could mean they are just being lazy and nothing will change. Knowing Japan and tradition, I am willing to assume it will stay. Due to it's ambiguity though, many officials who need their name to be correctly understood on business cards (which are a big deal there) may forgo kanji and write their name in hiragana for clarity. So I could have left everything as was in this post as it is meant to be an official document, but I wanted to add cultural flair.

One thing kanji is great for is reducing the length of writings, as one character can substitute for two or more hiragana characters and often a single kanji character can be an entire word where single characters in hiragana and katakana are only single syllables. Often Japanese sentences are written in a mix of kanji and hiragana, and the switch between the two is often the easiest way to tell where words and and begin besides context.3

So for how I wrote everyone's names in the dossier, starting with Rumiho herself: It is written and read Mitsuki Rumiho, as you'd expect. The hiragana for that is above the kanji writing in subscript (a common practice in Japan called furigana, meant specifically to show phonetic spellings and pronunciation), and each of the six characters reads mi-tsu-ki ru-mi-ho in that order. I added spaces for clarity, used in a sentence they might not be there, see third note below about that. The kanji I used for Mitsuki is two character, the first is mitsu, and the second is ki. The character for mitsu means nectar or honey, while the character for ki I chose means spirit, mind, or heart. So one way of reading the surname perhaps is sweetheart or honey spirit. Truth be told Mitsuki is more often a given name, but I'm sticking with it.

I was originally not going to use any kanji with Rumiho as there aren't any for the component syllables that exist in any combo. This is largely because Rumiho is not a normal name (Rumiko would have been more traditional). ICly I'd say her parents, likely Tadashi, chose a unique name. OOCly it is because Rumiho is named after a character from the Visual Novel (and anime adaptation) Steins;Gate who went by Akiha Rumiho (aka Faris NyanNyan). That character does have a full kanji spelling for Rumiho (留未穂) but the combo doesn't really mean anything put together (halted still point?). I'd assume it was picked to have a kanji written name, not to mean anything.4 For my Rumiho, I'd be happy writing it in hiragana, but I stumbled on a kanji writing for Rumi that used the hiragana る (ru) with 美 (mi, in this case) which means beauty or beautiful. I decided I could see her parents, specifically her mother, choosing to spell her name with that character being read as the mi of her name. So I tossed it in there to make her name prettier (If Bey is reading this, that is your cue to sigh, it was indeed a pun. A Japanese pun! They love to use kanji to do that too). EDIT: After writing this and using only the 美 kanji in her given name for a while, I stumbled on more inclusive readings than some dictionaries that offered me options for ru and ho kanji writings. Being hopeless and wanting a more proper name, I updated them, but kept the same mi kanji. I picked the new symbols for meanings largely, the first, read ru, means gem, precious stone, or lapis lazuli. The kanji for ho means protect or guarantee. There is no real way to read it altogether (nor does there need to be) but gem, beautiful, and guarantee all have some symbolic resonance in my mind.

For her family members it is a bit more traditional. Instead of breaking it down like I did before, I'll simply tell you what they all mean. Also I didn't display the phonetic spellings as furigana like with Rumiho since the text is smaller, so I just wrote it to the side and marked it as kana. Kawamori is written with two characters meaning river and forest respectively, so... river in the forest, why not? It's spelled the same as the inspiration for name, Kawamori Shouji, who is a mecha designer and story lead for most of the Macross anime franchise. Tadashi isn't a super common name (compared to say, Takeshi), in truth I got it from Big Hero 6, Tadashi was the older brother in the beginning of the movie. Originally I was going to just write it in katakana to reference his colony world origins (male name preference for katakana aside), but then I found a more proper Kanji spelling of his name in 惟史 which put together can be read as meaning 'reflecting on history' which is as good as anything.

Kaname is easy, her surname is the same at Rumiho's of course. Kaname is written with a single character, and means vital point or cornerstone. I've seen examples of other people with the name written this way (it is not exclusively a female name though) so it seemed safe to go that way. I know of many Kaname's but my first thought with the name is Chidori Kaname from Full Metal Panic! Humorously, when you look that character up, Kaname in her name is spelled in hiragana, which is odd as the character is a cornerstone of that story. Make of that what you will.

Rumi's step-father's surname is Okabe (guess her mother didn't want to take his name.. that's actually rare in Japanese marriages but hey, it's the 25th century now). The kanji for Okabe means 'vicinity of a hill.' Don't ask me, lol, I borrowed the name again from Steins;Gate, where the main character is named Okabe Rintaro (well, unless he is in his mad scientist persona known a Hōōin Kyōma!!!). His given name is Raiga, which I borrowed from the tokusatsu show Garo: Makai Flower, and the kanji for that roughly means 'trust oneself.'

Rumi's uncle Hikaru has the same surname as Tadashi, being his brother. He has a more traditional given name. Hikaru can be both a girl's and a boy's name, in this case, he's a dude. Hikari means light in Japanese and has it's own character, 光. Adding ル (ru) to it makes it hikaru which means 'to shine' or 'to be bright.' If you're paying attention, I used the katakana for ru there (ル instead of る), cause Hikaru is a dude, and probably wouldn't write his proper name with a hiragana character.

Hope everyone enjoyed all that detail, if you even read this. If you did though, congrats! You're a huge frakking nerd! In all seriousness though, I put a lot of effort into this because I like these details, and I enjoy this language since I'm already trying to learn it so it felt necessary to me. I'm by no means a master of it, but if anyone ever needs help in it for whatever reason I'll certainly try to help you out.

Notes:

1. Technically there is a fourth writing style that is unofficial called Romaji. It is just Japanese written in English letters. You don't find it generally used there, it is most used in translations on our end. Technically all Japanese names written in English are in romaji. This is also how I type out Rumiho's Japanese words and phrases in RP, both so people can actually read it and also because STO doesn't accept Japanese input.

2. Hiragana is by and large the primary syllabary aside from kanji. Unlike Latin or Germanic based alphabets with letters that combine to form syllables in words, in these entire characters are the syllables that make the words and when translated single characters are represented as a consonant/vowel pairing (such as ru, mi, and ho), or just vowels. There is also n, the only consonant sound, but it is pronounced more like un. Katakana is exactly the same as Hiragana but with different characters and mainly used to write words adopted from other languages, like English. Katakana is also sometimes used in other instances, like phonetic spellings for names. There is no reason you can't phonetically spell with hiragana though... and some do that too. The real reason some might is that men are more likely to use katakana characters in their names aside kanji because hiragana is seen by some as a feminine script due to it's curvy and flowing nature (good enough for general language use but not for manly names, lol). There is no rule for this, besides personal preference, but following that trend I wrote out Tadashi, Raiga, and Hikaru's phonetic names in katakana, but Kaname and Rumiho's phonetic spellings are in hiragana. Hikaru also gets a katakana character in his kanji spelling unlike Rumimo's mix of kanji and hiragana for the same reasons.

3. Japanese writing doesn't really use spaces like English does, unless it is written in romaji, that is, with our alphabet

4. Most Japanese names are written in Kanji. As I said earlier, some will write it out on business cards in hiragana for clarity, but they still have their kanji spelling probably. This is largely tradition it seems, as clearly not every name means something important or profound. In fact it is often that the kanji writing of names is largely to make them more unique and some pick complex kanji for names even if the meaning makes no sense. Mixes of kanji and kana are not uncommon and even names fully in kana happen especially if they want to avoid the connotations of the kanji meanings. The names themselves do often have a trend to them for boys and girls but I'm not going into that as my examples contain a fair number of subverts.

((Also putting her signature image here for my quick reference, as well as the code to easy add it to communications.))

Spoiler: SignatureShow

HkTIqJ6.png

Code:

Copy
[color=#dd9323][font=Ubuntu Mono]//SIGNED//[/font][/color] [img]https://i.imgur.com/HkTIqJ6.png[/img] Cadet 1st Class Mitsuki Rumiho DS13 Academy Annex
4 Likes
((Updated to reflect advancement to Cadet 1st class, added extra Prentares ribbon, and updated the service record to reflect the first item. Also minor kanji and kana name edits to Tadashi under family info to reflect his dossier, as well as formatting.

Known Issues: Her photo is out of date now due to rank... also her hair changes constantly... might make photo of her in dress whites as she removed hair dye for formal events.))
3 Likes
((Photo Up!))
3 Likes
((Because I have no self control and I learn new things, I have retconned the writing on Rumiho's name again. Mitsuki is the same, but I now have a full kanji writing for Rumiho (same mi as before). The reply 3 before this one has been updated with more explanation about it, as well as a signature for use in her communications. This is hopefully the last time I change this, lol.))
2 Likes
((Updated to reflect return to Argo and posting to Endeavour. Altered awards with an amalgam of various ribbon rack variations that show devices on a ribbon to represent number of ribbons owned, with total number also reflected in the legend.))
2 Likes