Struensée

Sienae System
Day Four

The beeping from the desk woke up Captain Nimitz, the latest messages from home had left him feeling irritated and the events of the last several days had weighed heavy. He rolled off the couch and stretched his neck to the left, feeling the pop as he approached the desk. He read over the latest rejection letter form the Sienae system Commander. It was a shame, Alistair had come to actually respect the man over the last week during the battle and following siege.

There were days Alistair had wished he had never accepted command, as his door opened and the Andorian CAG walked in, this moment as another such. “Commander, tell me where we’re at with the airwing.”

“Sir.” The CAG began as he set a Padd on the desk. “The reserve pool is replacing the lost pilots without issues, however we’re still down forty pilots still in medical, radiation burns, limbs lost, and a whole mess of nasty side effects.”

Alistair runs his hand through his hair. “Alright, what do we have to cover those pilots?” He searched through the Padd.

“That’s what I need you and the XO to sign off, I’ve found enough replacements, but most of them are from various other departments of the ship who are qualified with Pilot certifications, even though most of them have not been outside a simulator since they left the Academy.”

Alistair let out a breath in frustration. “…Alright, do it, how we doing on the birds replacement?” His mood darkened as he watched the CAG’s antennas flatten. “Just tell me.”

“The Chief reports another six Valkyries off the assembly line by Beta shift today, however he’s written off twelve more birds to be scrapped and recycled.” His antennas shifted uncomfortably at the shift as the room grew colder. Alistair’s hand balled before it relaxed and smoothed over the flat surface of the desk.

“…Very well, if there is nothing else, you are dismissed.” Alistair watched as the CAG stepped back and departed the room, once the door had closed a loud bang echoed the walls as his right fist punched through the desk.

Day Five

“… and the Endeavour reports another Cargo ship captured last night during delta shift.” Alistair was half listening as he stared down at the last message on his desk. He glanced up and spoke response.

“Good… that makes… seven cargo ships, how many of them were Q-ships?”

The Xindi Reptilian, Drassick looked down at his report. “Two, one was destroyed by the Ozawa, and the other was captured by Astrea.” Drassick reached over to flip the report over for the rest of the senior staff in the room. “Astrea reported minimal damage to both ships, it seems the Q-ship commander wasn’t feeling the desire to take on Starfleet alone.”

Subcommander Kaeht, a younger Romulan officer looked over. “It fits with the general reports both Starfleet and Republic reports are putting out, the Imperial Romulans are beginning to lose their desires to fight this war to the end.”

Alistair put his hand up. “I agree, however duty and their oaths still hold meaning to many of their upper levels, I hope this Commander is near to feeling the pressure we’re mounting on this system.” He glances around to the senior staff. “This has been a hard week for us all, but one way or another, we’re near the end of the road, you are all free to depart.” He leans back in his chair as the senior officers around him start departing, all except for Kaeht. “Something on your mind Subcommander?” He says once the last door closed.

“Permission to speak freely Captain?” He waits for Alistair to nod. “…I’m not sure what’s going on, but we all see something has been nagging your mind, and the crew is feeling the tension spread, I know its not indented, but your mood is effecting the crew.”

The Captain leaned forward. “… You’re right, I shouldn’t be irritated as much as I am, my personal problems are exactly that, personal.”

Kaeht tilted his head. “Do you need someone to talk with? Speaking as freely as I can, I know we’re not friends, but in the few months Ive been here, I’ve come to care for Pegasus and her crew as much as the rest of your staff.” The young Subcommander watched the Captain with care, almost like a cub watching an older lion.

“One day, yes… for now I just need…” He glanced over as the alarm beeped on his Padd. “…I just need to focus on the job and what I can control, not things I can’t in my personal life.” He stood up and tugged his jacket down. “…Now, its time to deliver our demands for the good Commander of the Sienae system.”

Bridge of the Pegasus

Captain Alistair Nimitz walked through the doors with Subcommander Kaeht on his heels. “Comms, patch me through, you know the drill.” However before Alistair could tug down his jacket the comm officer looked over.

“Sir, I have the Romulan Commander, he’s requesting to speak with you.”

Alistair arched his brow as he looked at Kaeht. “…On screen.” He looked back as he tugged his jacket down.

The viewscreen blinked to life as the familiar veteran Commander showed up His voice rasped as he spoke. “…Captain Nimitz, I am prepared to discuss terms.”

3 Likes

Aftermath

His hands were caked in the emerald blood of the Commander, after filing the last report he sat at his desk, staring down upon them. His uniform still stained as well. His anger had faded away, simmered, the raptor within him had briefly awoken during the assassination. No more he wanted, but he knew it wouldn’t happen, the bloodless surrender had ran green with treachery.

He didn’t know how many more died in the infighting, only that it was over. All at the cost of an honorable man. He stood up and took a bottle off the shelf, twisted open the cap as the scent of the New Romulus Ale filled his nose. he poured two fingers into a glass and closed it before he sat back down on his chair, turning around to look out the window upon the surface of Sienae I.

The G-class planet was decorated with habitable domes that could be seen from orbit, fighters and shuttles from the Pegasus and other Starfleet vessels ferried supplies and ground troops to the surface, yet it all felt hollow to one Captain Alistair Nimitz, a view he had hoped to share with the late Commander N’Vek in friendship.

Several hours later, the door opened from the pantry of the ready room, and an officer in a mess hall uniform crossed the silent room towards the sleeping Captain. He took away the blood stained uniform jacket and placed a blanket over his commander. The steward departed without a sound.

2 Likes