SUBJ: Unauthorised Modifications to Station Structure | TO: LCDR J.Kermit, CMDR Hanson

BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95077.6
Security Level 1: Open
TO LCDR J.Kermit
CC CMDR Hanson
FROM CAPT Caspius
SUBJ. Unauthorised Modifications to Station Structure
4OB3P0J.png

LCDR James Kermit; CMDR Rose Hanson,

On stardate 95076.7, I recieved a notification that an unauthorised modification of the station structure was taking place following the reception for 38th Fleet Command and DS-13 personnel. The aforesaid modification included the removal of the holographic fireplace unit in the banquet hall and its replacement with a non-holographic unit, consisting of a combustion-driven heating and exhaust system. Moreover, I understand that this unauthorised modification was carried out on the authority of the executive officer, with the awareness and encouragement of the operations chief.

The above-described modification was not authorised by this command and your implementation of it also constitutes numerous violations of safety protocols. LCDR James Kermit, you are directed to remove the modifications and restore the holographic matrix. You have twenty-four hours to comply. CMDR Hanson is directed to assist you in restoring the holomatrix.

Furthermore, you will both report to me at the beginning of your next duty shift to discuss disciplinary consequences for this unauthorised action and breach of protocol.

And, finally, on a personal note, I expected better of both of you. If I cannot trust you--the executive officer and chief of operations--to conduct yourself in accordance with my expectations, then you should consider offering your resignation.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
Starbase Commander, Deep Space 13
7 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CAPT Caspius
CC CMDR Hanson
FROM LCDR Kermit

SUBJ RE: Unauthorised Modifications to Station Structure
4OB3P0J.png

Captain Caspius,

Please see attached the construction order and schematic dated 90538 (Jul 2413), authorized by Captain Coby Morton, Commanding DS13, following sign-off by Commander Alan Vargas, Chief of Operations DS13 and Kirlan Esahr, Project Engineer. You will find in the audit log that this file has been unmodified since the installation of the fireplace and that no order exists on file from any future commander overriding this addendum to the station's official schematic.

Please also reference station maintenance records, dated 91247, 92156, 93218, 94015, in which a routine inspection was performed on the diplomatic lounge including the fireplace structure. Authorization was provided by Chiefs of Operations Helstone, Dantes, Caspius, and Hanson. Completion reports were submitted by Chief Engineers T'irin, Brot'la, Sivath, and Sivath. Upon completion, reports were received by station commanders Perim, Perim, Freeman, and Thiessen.

For your review, I've also attached a log of two station records searches, both dated 95078, which show that there are no orders on file calling for the removal of the fireplace structure in question, and that there are no orders on file calling for the removal of the fireplace structure schematic from the station's baseline condition, as originally amended in 2413.

In anticipation of your longstanding personal objection to the presence of this amenity, I've also attached two additional relevant documents. The Embassy Services Division of the Federation Diplomatic Corps conducts ongoing quality of service reviews in which diplomats and other non-affiliated personnel are asked to fill out a survey some time after passing through a monitored facility such as our diplomatic lounge. I have highlighted the review of comments section in which 62% of responses from 2413-2417 included compliments on the live fireplace. I've also highlighted the report's note showing that 75% of 2417 responses noted the fireplace's removal or conversion and expressed negative feedback.

Finally, see the attached log of maintenance incidents for the wall segment in question and combustion/exhaust systems. Please take note that with the exception of damage caused by unrelated external incidents (ie. the 2416 embassy bombing), there has never been a safety or maintenance issue related to the fireplace or its associated systems.

Once you've taken the time to read the references detailed above, I believe you'll reach the same reasonable conclusions as I did. As demonstrated, the mechanism has a long history of safe operation and there is no empirical evidence suggesting that the mechanism is a safety hazard. Without safety concerns, there is nothing detracting from the measured positive effect recorded by the presence of the fireplace. Further, it was designed, authorized, constructed, and maintained, with the knowledge and consent of every single previous station commander, chief of operations, and chief engineer. Its removal, apparently some time in 2417, was not recorded in the station's log and appears to have been completed without the knowledge of the Operations Department. Therefore I posit that the removal itself was an unauthorized modification that has had a clear negative impact.

The standing orders calling for the repair of damage, issued first by Admiral Perim, and then by yourself, did not make any specific exceptions to the mandate to restore the station to its official specifications. As the blueprints used for repair still include the live fireplace, it was only prudent to replace the prior unauthorized modification with the originally intended feature.

I do understand that none of this information directly addresses your 24-hour deadline for converting the fireplace to a holographic construction, however I must inform you that such a modification will not be completed in time. It is simply not possible. The engineering team assigned to return the fireplace to its intended state was not obligated to record the workings of the prior modification, and we currently have no design schematics detailing a replacement unit. It would be irresponsible for me to order the demolition of a safe and working station structure without a plan prepared for its replacement. As such I have issued no orders to Engineering teams or Commander Hanson.

In light of the evidence presented above, I recommend you rescind your order for the removal of the fireplace. In the event you are still unwilling to consider that course of action, it's my duty to inform you that research and development of a replacement holographic unit is expected to take 4-6 months, and as such, I further recommend that the existing fireplace structure be maintained as-is to ensure continued smooth operation of the diplomatic lounge until such time as a properly vetted replacement can be developed and installed.

I look forward to speaking with you at the start of my next shift.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander James Kermit
Acting Executive Officer, Deep Space 13

//ATTACHMENT// 90538-EMBT3-WS51.sch
//ATTACHMENT// Annual\91247\51.rpt
//ATTACHMENT// Annual\92156\51.rpt
//ATTACHMENT// Annual\93218\51.rpt
//ATTACHMENT// Annual\94015\51.rpt
//ATTACHMENT// 95078\325sd245vbn.sch
//ATTACHMENT// 95078\f24hjyt4534.sch
//ATTACHMENT// FDC-ES\SatisfactionSurvey [2413-2417].rpt
//ATTACHMENT// FDC-ES\2417\SatisfactionSurvey.rpt
//ATTACHMENT// EMBT3-WS51\Incidents.log
14 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95082.0
TO LCDR J. Kermit
CC CMDR Hanson
FROM CAPT Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

LCDR James Kermit,

At no point in my previous communique did I suggest that my orders were open to discussion or debate.

You may, of course, claim that my order was unlawful. If that is your intent, you should notify me that you have no intention of following my order. You will then, with your fellow actors, be charged with insubordination, and in your respective courts-martial you may attempt to use as a defence the claim that my order is unalwful and that you are consequently not obliged to obey it.

However, given that your recent communique hinges on your claim that a previous station commander made an order to modify the station in the manner you describe, I would suggest that it is no defence to claim that earlier order from a station commander is justified, but the comparable order of your current station commander is not.

Now that we have dispensed with the pleasantries of this engagement, you have six hours left. I suggest you pull an 'all-nighter', because I do not believe for an instant that what you did surrepetitiously in the space of a few hours you could not undo openly and with the engineering department at your disposal in the space of fully a day.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
7 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 2 - Confidential

TO <DS13\Security>
CC <38th\JAG>
FROM LCDR Kermit

SUBJ Unauthorised Modifications to Station Structure
4OB3P0J.png

It has recently come to my attention that an unauthorized modification has been made to the fireplace in the diplomatic lounge. Evidently, someone replaced it with a holographic replica some time in 2417. It is possible that the original was stolen. Unfortunately, in my haste to correct the situation, I did not initially consider the legal implications and ordered the replica replaced with a newly produced live-fireplace as part of the station repair efforts. I regret that scans were not taken of the replica, however it is possible that some evidence of the original tampering may remain, either in the physical location or in station securty records.

Please open an investigation into the original modification/theft immediately. As it is located in a key diplomatic area, we must also consider the possibility that we are dealing with a case of espionage. I expect this to be given the highest priority possible.

//SIGNED//

BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CAPT Caspius
CC --
FROM LCDR Kermit

SUBJ RE: Unauthorised Modifications to Station Structure
4OB3P0J.png

Captain Caspius,

After my research for the preceding message, I directed Security to conduct an investigation into the prior unauthorized modification. As the modification involves the possible theft of Starfleet property, and the location of the modification presents the possibility of an act of espionage in the worse case, I regret to inform you that I am unable to carry out your orders without compromising an active investigation and crime scene. If that is your intention, I'm afraid I will need such an order to be reissued with explicit confirmation, overriding security's jurisdiction in this matter.

If you believe I've misinterpreted standing orders to repair the station when I made my decision to order the restoration of the fireplace, I take full responsibility and am prepared to accept whatever consequences you deem appropriate. In defense of my actions, I offer only my previous message as justification.

//SIGNED//
9 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
TO LCDR J.Kermit
CC CAPT Thiessen, <DS-13 Security>, <38th/JAG>
FROM CAPT Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant Commander James Kermit,

The holographic fireplace matrix was designed by CMDR Sivath at my instruction when I was Executive Officer. The change was verbally approved by CAPT Tau Thiessen. I have copied CAPT Thiessen on this communique so that he can confirm the validity of the original authorisation, if needed. Consequently, Security is instructed to belay your orders to open an investigation, the origin now being explained.

However, the validity or invalidity of past modifications, or orders to make such modifications, are all a moot point. You have orders outstanding from the current Commander of your post to revert a change recently undertaken at your own discretion. That order is a lawful one. I attach the schematic of the holomatrix and its associated appurtenances purely as a means to help you fulfill my orders expediently, because I wish to assist you as far as is possible in carrying out my orders.

Four hours left, Mister Kermit. Tick-tock.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
SCHEMATIC: Fireplace Holomatrix (rev. Sivath 1.2)
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CAPT Caspius
CC CAPT Thiessen, LCDR Kermit <DS-13 Security>, <38th/JAG>
FROM LT ch'Havran
SUBJ Unauthorized Modifications to Station Structure
4OB3P0J.png

Captain Caspius,

As Lt Commander James Kermit has filed a report with Security about a possible crime regarding thief of the original fireplace, it is my duty to inform you that we will do everything we can to investigate the matter. However, as we are currently still short staffed and are in the process of over extending our resources, I will assigned two Security officers to preserve the current fireplace, as it has been officially reported as a crime scene, while we wait for the time when we have the manpower to launch a full investigation into the manner.

As always Captain, we take every report seriously and we will get to the bottom of the matter as it was reported as soon as possible.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Vkruk ch'Havran
Deep Space 13 Security
8 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95083.0
TO LT ch'Havran
CC CAPT Thiessen, LCDR J.Kermit, <DS-13 Security>, <38th/JAG>
FROM CAPT Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant ch'Havran

Please see my follow-up communique in reply to LCDR J.Kermit, CC'd to DS-13 security. I have explained the origin of the modifications, and countermanded his order to your department. Consequently, you are to take no action which would prevent the swift completion of the orders that I have issued to LCDR J.Kermit regarding the re-installation of the fireplace holomatrix.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CAPT Caspius
CC CAPT Thiessen, LCDR Kermit <DS-13 Security>, <38th/JAG>
FROM LT ch'Havran
SUBJ Unauthorized Modifications to Station Structure
4OB3P0J.png

Captain Caspius, I have spoken with Commander S'Vesta, and she shares my concern.

If you wish to order this investigation to not take place, that is your prerogative. However, it is my duty to warn you because of the nature of the report filed by Commander Kermit, that if you end this investigation it will be on file. Furthermore, you place yourself at risk of being held by liability if something happens in the Embassy at a future date, as well as risking yourself being exposed to charges of obstruction, or even opening up charges as a co-conspirator. Allowing the investigation will clear your name from any possible liability, or obstruction charges in the future.

Lastly Captain, if the intention of the report by Commander Kermit to security was based around false information, we will insure that Commander Kermit is held responsible for his actions.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Vkruk ch'Havran
Deep Space 13 Security
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LT ch'Havran, LCDR Kermit
CC <DS-13 Security>, <38th/JAG>, CAPT Caspius
FROM CAPT Thiessen
SUBJ Re: Unauthorized Modifications to Station Structure

ALLCON,

I won't lie - I'm slightly bewildered by the entirety of this message thread I've been looped in on.

Yes, Commander Caspius and I spoke when he was my Executive Officer regarding the fireplace. I authorized him to take the actions he saw fit to take. My main concern was ensuring that the comfort of the fireplace was retained for our Romulan, Cardassian and other warmer-blooded species visiting to enjoy if they found standard Federation-level environmental controls too cold for their tastes.

Perhaps the filework didn't get properly filed, but it was authorized and was never at any point an issue of concern on a command level.

For God's sake, people, it's just a fireplace. All the best to you in your investigation.

//SIGNED//
Captain Tau Thiessen
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95083.6
TO CMDR S'Vesta, LT ch'Havran
CC CAPT Thiessen, LCDR J.Kermit, <DS-13 Security>, <38th/JAG>
FROM CAPT Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant ch'Havran,

As has been explained to you twice, no act of espionage has taken place. LCDR James Kermit reported what he believed to be an unexplained modification to the station structure, and postulated that one possible explanation might be espionage. But in fact, as has been explained, I myself ordered the modification, and it was authorised by the commanding officer at the time, who has been included to corroborate that claim.

I applaud your diligence of purpose in rooting out potential threats to our security. However, there are none in this case. Moreover, your previous communique, which ignores the explanation offered, and goes so far as to threaten your commanding officer, is out of line. Diligence does not excuse insubordinate conduct, nor does it warrant occupying station and fleet resources on a matter which has already been explained beyond doubt.

You are ordered to report to my office upon receipt of this message.

Commander S'Vesta, you are ordered to accompany LT ch'Havran to my office.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
4 Likes