The Arrival

“Sir, I must wake you. Our arrival at Deep Space Thirteen is imminent.”

Tora Kerven opened an eye to his shuttle companion. They were on a rather packed commercial flight from Risa to the station.

“You have my thanks.” Tora said, adjusting himself and stretching. “You know, they haven’t changed these shuttles much in years. They still offer peanuts and ginger ale as standard nourishment. No doubt a hangover from those commercial flights on Earth.”

The Vulcan next to Tora perked a brow but showed no outward interest.

“I would not know. I have never visited Earth.”

Tora smiled. “You are missing out. It’s a paradise now but it wasn’t always.”

“Fascinating.” came the monotone reply.

“That’s an understatement. Do you like music?” Kerven smiled at him.

The Vulcan turned to Tora, not answering for a moment.

“I am currently in the process of learning the lute.”

Tora nodded. “The Vulcan lute is an instrument of exquisite craftsmanship. Is yours hollow-bodied or solid?”

The Vulcan kept his expression neutral, his gaze on Tora. Only slightly, his eyebrow twitched.

“How are you aware that I carry it with me?”

Tora’s face broke into a half smile.

“I saw you stow it in the compartment above us before you sat down.”

“Your eyes were closed and your breathing was consistent with a light sleep.” The Vulcan narrowed his eyes.

“I wasn’t asleep, I was checking my eyelids for holes. Turns out there’s quite a few in my old lids. Would you mind if I had a look?”

Tora made a move to get up but was stopped by the Vulcan’s hand.

“I alone handle the instrument, sir. But yes, I do mind.”

Tora nodded, settling back down as the announcement that docking procedures had begun came over the comm.

“Of course. I apologise. Though, I do believe security might want to take a look at it on the station.”

The Vulcan this time turned his body to Tora.

“It is a simple instrument. A scan will reveal nothing illegal. I ask you to cease this topic of conversation, sir.”

Tora nodded. “What if they have updated their scanners? They could detect trace elements of Meridox, for example.”

The Vulcan didn’t answer but looked visibly under duress.

“Oldest trick in the book. They’ve been hiding Meridox in the wood of lutes on Vulcan since Surak was a boy, I’m sure!”

The Vulcan shook his head.

“It is not Meridox. It is Capranium.”

Tora thought for a moment.

“Capranium. A substance that is illegal in Federation space as, even in small amounts, it can be used to create a number of nasty things. Is that what you were planning to do? Catch a connecting shuttle out of Federation space with the Capranium?”

The Vulcan remained silent.

“I have no further comment on the matter. I suggest you do not interfere.”

Tora laughed.

“I’m a Counsellor. Interfering is what I do! I also suggest you do not resist when security inevitably take you into custody.”

The Vulcan looked around, almost hopelessly, for a means of escape but saw none.

“You know it’s the logical thing to do, sir.”

Tora chuckled, knowing how much the Vulcan probably wanted to roll his eyes at the comment as the shuttle docked with DS13.

“How did you deduce my plans?” The Vulcan asked as they got up from the seats to depart the shuttle.

“I listened to your conversation with the buyer before we boarded. I knew ‘the lute’ was code for something. I assumed Meridox as I’ve seen it transported in lutes before, back in the 23rd century.”

“El Aurian.” The Vulcan nodded.

“Oh, do I look like an El Aurian? I always get told my accent is Lanthanite!”

Tora chuckled as he gently shepherded the Vulcan off the shuttle and towards security, where he recognized Nick Loxton standing talking to another security officer. Tora couldn’t resist calling out to him from the line.

“Hey Nick! I have some paperwork for you!”

Nick perked a brow as they neared the scanning station then shook his head at Tora with a chuckle.

“Trust you to make my day easier, Tora…”

6 Likes