The Baking List

To: LTJG L’sherra (@Rio )
CC:
Subj: The Baking List

Hello L’sherra!

I know you didn’t think I’d forget about your wonderfully generous offer of taking requests for things to bake! It’s very sweet of you, pun fully intended.

I told Drake about it before our staff meeting, and he was very quick to come up with a suggestion. “Kentucky Derby Pie”. It’s like a giant chocolate-chip cookie in pie form, made with bourbon, so I’m sold on it.

9″ unbaked pie shell (homemade or store-bought)
    1/4 cup of butter (melted and cooled)
    1 cup of granulated sugar
    1/2 cup of flour
    2 eggs (beaten)
    1 tsp of vanilla
    1 cup of chocolate chips
    1 cup of chopped pecans
    2 tbsp of bourbon

Combine all ingredients, pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until a knife comes out of the pie with only chocolate sticking to it.

Pretty sure it’s just about mandatory to have some vanilla ice cream with that, but it sounds delicious!

I do have a suggestion of my own, too! A treat from my childhood, Pouding Chomeur. I found a recipe in the computer, since we usually got it at a restaurant, or the replicator.

Ingredients

For the Syrup:

2 cups maple syrup

2 cups heavy cream

For the Batter:

¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature

¾ cup white sugar

¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs, at room temperature

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon fine salt

1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Butter a deep baking dish and place it on a sheet pan.

Bring maple syrup and heavy cream to a boil in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Turn off heat once mixture starts to bubble, stir, and set aside.

Beat butter and sugar together in a bowl using a spatula or electric mixer until creamy and well combined. Whisk in vanilla extract and 1 egg until incorporated. Mix in the other egg. Sprinkle in baking powder, salt, and flour. Mix with a spatula until batter is just combined.

Transfer batter to the prepared dish and pour the maple-cream sauce on top, stopping between 1/2 to 1-inch from the top of the dish. Reserve any extra sauce.

Bake in the center of the preheated oven until pudding is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes; serve pudding with any extra maple-cream sauce. 

I hope one or both of these prove as fun to make as I’m sure they will be to eat!

I want to make clear there’s no obligation here. I’ll definitely be happy to sample these treats with you, but mostly, it sounded like something you’d find fun, so I thought I’d send you some interesting things.

I hope you are doing well, settling in on the Starbase! I’m sure I will see you there soon, and until then, keep being you!

//SIGNED//
Commander Evette LaSalle
First Officer,
USS Dragon

2 Likes

To: CMDR Evette LaSalle (@DrakeTungsten )
Subj: Goodies!

Commander,

These are wonderful! Thank you for adding to my collection of recipes to make for friends and colleagues!
It may take me a couple days longer than usual, as I will want to make sure I get these right before presenting a finished dish to you all.
While it may taste good, a crumbly or runny treat just doesn’t look good! Presentation is key.

I’ll let you know when it’s done so we can work out some kind of way to get it to you. It’s always best in person, but if it has to be via other means, we can make it work.

That said, if ever you or any of your bridge staff are on DS13 and want to drop by my quarters or even my lab, I’ll always have something yummy on hand!

I hope you have a lot of reasons to smile today!
See you soon!

//SIGNED//
LTJG L’sherra
38th Science Division, Botany/Xenoherbology
Deep Space 13

2 Likes

To: LTJG L’sherra (@Rio )
CC:
Subj: RE: Goodies!

Lieutenant,

I’m so glad you are pleased with the recipes! But be especially careful with the Pouding Chomeur, I hear the sauce has a way of overflowing! You may want to put something like a cookie sheet under it!

I’ll have you know, I’m still quite happy to help you dispose of any beautiful disasters. Just as long as they aren’t horribly burnt and taste yummy!

It is kind of up to the conditions in the field if we come back to port or not, and when, but it’s at least a quick trip back to the mission area via slipstream if we have to get back there in a hurry! But I will try to stay in touch as conditions allow, as I’d certainly love to come visit, even if it’s too short notice for baked goods.

And thank you, I do have reasons to smile today, and your reply is one of them.

Until I see you again, keep being your sweet and awesome self!

//SIGNED//
Commander Evette LaSalle
First Officer,
USS Dragon