The Other Bishop

Personal Log

"When I find myself in times of trouble,
Mother Mary comes to me,
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

And in my hour of darkness,
She is standing right in front of me,
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

A young man steps into view, singing the song. His British voice is distinct and crisp, so in tune with the music, his voice could not be separated from Paul McCartney's. It is evident that he has sung this song many times. Inside the room are a number of open boxes. The man can be seen placing objects in them.

Oh, let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be,
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people,
Living in the world agree,
There will be an answer, let it be,
For though they may be parted,
There is still a chance that they will see,
There will be an answer, let it be...

The man turns to the camera. He has coal black hair and electric blue eyes; his facial features are handsome and well cut. His cadet uniform is pristine as if it was newly replicated. The shining single Ensign pip on his collar told a different story.

This is so exciting! Being assigned to the Enterprise... the Enterprise. The same one that was at Wolf 359. And under the command of Captain Jean-Luc Picard. I am thrilled!

Father and mother came down to see my graduation. They are proud which makes me even happier. I am being to be the Bishop this family needs to carry on the legacy. And one day, I'll captain my own starship. It will be the Endeavour, just like father and grandfather! But now... today... I get to serve on the Enterprise. There is so much I can learn, so much I can do to grow! I will continue to do my father proud!

There is a pause.

Now I can't waste any time here. I have to pack and report to the Enterprise before she warps off on another one of her adventures! Got to pack!

He picks up a picture from the table.

I can't leave this behind!

He chuckles and continues to sing as he packs.

And when the night is cloudy,
There is still a light that shines on me,
Shine until tomorrow,
Let it be.

I wake up to the sound of music,
Mother Mary comes to me,
Speaking words of wisdom,
Let it be.

Let it be, let it be, let it be, yeah, let it be,
There will be an answer,
Let it be..."

Spoiler: The Picture on Seb's DeskShow
The_Beatles_in_America.JPG

It is signed: "To Sebastian. From Paul, John, Ringo, George."
5 Likes

"Come,"

Ensign Sebastian Bishop entered the room, a little awestruck at the change in scenery. His eyes snapped forward when he saw the Captain, snapping into a professional salute.

"At ease Ensign," the Captain nodded at the seat in front. "Take a seat," Seb did as he was bid, straightening his jacket as he did so. The Captain sat down too, and sipped his tea, looking at the PADD. His eyes flickered up to the young Ensign. "You wished to stay aboard the Enterprise?"

"Yes sir,"

"I heard of your exploits during the battle above Veridian III. It is rather unheard of an Ensign taking charge of an evacuation, especially when there was a senior officer present,"

"I apologise sir, but the Lieutenant Commander was incorrect in his evacuation methods. His evacuation would have taken a minute longer than was safe. The Enterprise would have been lost with all hands,"

"I see," the Captain sipped his tea. "As it is, your evacuation was completed with enough time for you to assist in other departments too,"

"Yes sir. It was my duty as a Starfleet Officer,"

"Indeed," the Captain paused to regard the Ensign, with his coal black hair, and sharp blue eyes. Very much a splitting image of his father. "Ensign, next time, I would rather you reported to your commanding officer, rather than just act on a whim," the Captain smiled. "I applaud you for taking the initiative, only that orders are sent down the chain of command for a reason. Suppose that the Commander had been given these orders so that the evacuation of the entire ship went smoothly? Moving hundreds of people quickly is no small endeavour. Your actions would have hindered the overall evacuation of the ship,"

"I am sorry sir," Seb looked down at his lap. "I did not realise,"

"Chin up my boy. You are an excellent officer. Your short time on the Enterprise shows that you excel in any situation that you are placed in. In fact, your record shows you are far more than an excellent officer. You are an excellent person,"

"Thank you sir,"

"Ensign, I see that you were present at the Battle of Wolf 359. I have always wondered..."

"If I blame you sir? If I resent you?" Seb looked up, his blue eyes flashing. "I do not sir. You saved us from the Borg. I... I admire you sir..." Seb blushed slightly at his words. The Captain smiled a little. "You... resisted the Borg. You survived. I hope that one day, I will be able to fight the Borg as you did. To remove them from the galaxy, so people do not have to face their horrors,"

"That is a noble goal Ensign. And a rather large one. How do you expect to accomplish that?"

"I am unsure sir. This is why I wish to stay on the Enterprise. I believe that I can learn a lot here,"

"Indeed. Well, Ensign. I approve your request," the Captain put his tea down and stood, offering his hand at Seb. Seb stood and took it, shaking it firmly.

"Thank you Captain. I will not let you down,"

"See that you don't Ensign. Dismissed,"

Seb saluted sharply, before turning and leaving. Jean Luc Picard sat back down on his seat, looking at the PADD. "Ensign Sebastian Bishop. A carbon copy of his father. The Admiral has raised him well," Picard smiled lightly before setting the PADD down and placing his empty cup in the replicator. Straightening his own jacket, he left his ready room and stepped out onto the bridge of the USS Enterprise, NCC 1701-E.

5 Likes