The Seeker of Truth (Stories of the USS al-Haytham)

(15 October 2416)

The shuttle doors opened and Sulayman Ibn Tariq al Firawn strode out with such purpose, one of the Ensigns on duty saluted him and muttered, "Captain."
If Sulayman heard the Ensign's mistake, he did not show it, nor did he particularly care. He was annoyed that he had been sent ahead to DS 13 whilst the al-Haytham was still at Earth Spacedock and was even more annoyed that the ship was not due to arrive at DS 13 for a couple of months.

Still, he was sent here to complete the final administration to induct the ship to the fleet and so upon her arrival, the al-Haytham could get to work immediately. Sulayman's ego was stoked a little when he realised that this was a job Captains normally do and so was not too bitter about the whole situation. But he was bitter, that much was certain and it showed when he marched up to the transport operator.

"You there. Are you off duty or on duty?" He barked at the man.

"Erm...on duty...sir?" The man replied, looking at the strange young man who had just yelled at him.

"Then look like it!" Sulayman bellowed at the top of his voice and with such ferocity that the man jumped a little and the entire shuttlebay fell quiet, looking to see what the commotion was.

"Is there anything wrong here?" An elderly commander asked, breaking the few seconds of silence that had descended.

"No sir." Sulayman's back stiffened magnetically, his hand flew up into a salute and his boots clicked together. "I was just reprimanding the Lieutenant here for slacking when on duty."

"Oh were you now?" The commander peered over his glasses, first at the transport operator who was frozen in shock and then to the boy standing in front of him.

"Lieutenant Commander al Firawn, First Officer - USS al-Haytham reporting." Sulayman introduced.

"Ah yes. Lt Cmdr al Firawn. We were not expecting you for another two days."

"The shuttle pilot wanted to stop for a few days but I thought it was best to report in early sir," Sulayman explained. He had not moved an inch.

The Commander looked at the shuttle behind Sulayman where an exhausted pilot was stumbling out. He tripped when he stepped out and was caught by the Ensign who was on guard.

"Yes...it does seem that way. Come now Lt Cmdr. Let's show you to your quarters." The commander turned and moved towards the turbolift before turning around to see that Sulayman had still not moved.

"With respect Commander, but my orders were to report to a Commander Caspius, for admin purposes."

The commander didn't even try to press his order forward. "Looks like you and Commander Caspius are going to be good friends," he muttered. "Do you need to fill in some paperwork?" He asked Sulayman. The lighting up of Sulayman's face when he said paperwork was all the answer he needed. "Yes. Very good friends..."

6 Likes
(18 October 2416)

Sulayman was sat, cross-legged on the floor. He had a Quran in his hands and although it was open and Sulayman flicked the pages every now and again, he had no need for it. He was praying out loud, in a gentle tune, and was looking out of the window to the stars. Sulayman had been taught by some of the greatest Imams in Arabia and he was a capable Hafiz, a person who knows the Quran by heart. Sulayman rocked gently from side to side as he prayed, contemplating the words and the meaning. A noise broke him out of his contemplation. Sulayman turned to hear the call to prayer coming from his PADD.
Although prayer times were normally linked to the time of day, in space, this was difficult so Sulayman made it a habit to follow the times back home. It was less confusing that way. Sulayman slowly stood to his feet, closed the Quran, and brought it to his lips before placing it on the highest shelf in the room. Then, he went to pray.

Spoiler: Sulayman's Prayer MatShow
29777063_B.jpg

Upon finishing his prayer, Sulayman remained seated on the prayer mat and stared out of the window to the stars again. The beauty of space never ceased to amaze him.

"The sun and the moon [move] by precise calculation,
And the stars and trees prostrate.
So which of your Lord's favours do you deny?
"

Which indeed, Sulayman thought. Here he was. Amongst the stars, and the moons, and the suns which God had created. The very thought excited him. To be able to soar up and discover an entire universe that God had created, to unveil the mysteries of his creation. It was this thought that kept him going. This thought that had made him the very first al Firawn to leave Earth. Like the Islamic explorers of old, he was going where nobody had gone before. Whilst they had created and used sextants, Sulayman had created and used his own navigational tools. He stood and walked to the window. He felt like he could almost touch the stars. Out of the corner of Sulayman's eye, he could see the outer hull of the starbase, DS 13 stamped on the side. His thoughts quickly changed.

Hopefully, he wouldn't be sitting around doing anything. He'd be able to get back to work, and show the base that he was more than his age. Commander Sivath's words had been stinging, but Sulayman didn't take them to heart. He knew that the Commander had a duty to all members of the base, not just to him. So his actions would have to speak louder. Sulayman climbed into bed and looked at his PADD to review the program he had sent. Cross-checking it with Commander Sivath's refusal, he saw, rather begrudgingly, that the Commander was correct. Had his design been implemented, it would have killed many of the crew. Sulayman sighed. He needed to be more careful and more thorough with his work. Placing his PADD down, he decided that tomorrow, he would get to work on analysing the local stars in the area. They've probably mapped the stars wrong, Sulayman thought happily and with that in mind, he slid under the covers and fell asleep.

5 Likes
(8 February 2417)

Sulayman was lying face down, sprawled on his bed. It was a good thing Eunha had not spent the night; even she would have faced competition over bed space that night.
The caffeine was slowly leaving his system and Sulayman was badly, badly hungover. Given that alcohol was prohibited in Islam and so Sulayman had never once consumed it, the caffeine hangover was a new feeling and he had no idea how to deal with it. Instead, he did what any normal human would do; lay in bed in total darkness, groaning in pain from his godawful headache.

"Captain to Lieutenant Commander al Firawn"

Sulayman groaned again and thrust his hand out to his bedside table, slapping it several times before he managed to tap his combadge.

"What is it?" he muttered.

"I beg your pardon?"

Sulayman rolled out of bed. "Al'ama!" he swore and scrambled for the badge.

"I mean, yes Captain, Lieutenant Commander al Firawn here."

"Did I disturb something Lieutenant Commander?"

"No Captain,"
he looked back at his bed.

"Very well, report to my ready room immediately.

"On my way sir,"

Sulayman fell back onto the bed and stared at the roof. His head hurt so bad. Gingerly, he stood up again and pulled on his uniform, washed his face and then stepping out onto the corridor, wincing at how bright the lights were.

"Enter," came the voice from behind the door when Sulayman had reached the bridge. He walked in and stood to attention.

"Sir?"

"Take a seat Number One," V'Lala was sat at her desk, sipping tea. Sulayman obeyed. "Is there anything wrong Lieutenant Commander?" she arched her eyebrows in the traditional Vulcan manner.

"No sir,"

V'Lala sipped her tea. "You've been on the al Haytham almost a month now. How do you think the ship and her crew are doing?"

Sulayman was not ready for such intense questioning, not in this state. He didn't even have time to prepare. "Good."

"Good?"

"I mean..." Sulayman struggled. Why did she have to have the lights on so bright? "The ship has been excellent, although we have not had enough time to really test her potential. Her crew...they've been good."

V'Lala placed her teacup on the saucer and made some notes on a PADD. "Interesting. And how do you think you have settled in?"

"I have settled in very well..." he started confidently but with each syllable, his confidence drained. Why was she asking him? Oh no, he had screwed something up hadn't he?

"Are you sure?"

Oh no, he really had screwed something up. "Yes, Captain..." He was going to stick to his guns and see what happened.

V'Lala did not respond immediately and made a note. Sulayman shifted in his chair, trying to read anything from V'Lala's expressionless face. His effort was futile. "We have just completed an extensive survey did we not?"

"Yes sir,"

"98% completion to the plans submitted at the start."

"Yes sir, a commendable result," he lied. He did not think it was commendable and people were going to get yelled at later.

"Do you think 98% is commendable?" V'Lala raised her eyebrows again and Sulayman blanched. She didn't give him a chance to answer. "When you submitted the revised plans with the increased amount of experiments, you assured me that this would be within the limits of yourself and the crew. Were you in error?"

"No sir,"

"Why do you think the extra two percent was not achieved, Lieutenant Commander?"

"I believe the crew did not give the extra two percent sir,"

"The crew?"

"Yes sir."

V'Lala made a note. "What do you think is the standing with you and the crew?"

"I think the crew...dislike me,"

"And why is that Lieutenant Commander?"

Sulayman paused briefly, "I make them work hard. I push them to their fullest potential."

"Why?"

"Because we are Starfleet officers and scientists. We are here to make breakthroughs. We cannot achieve that if we are not performing at our peak." Sulayman took the words he had heard officers at the bar use and strung them together in a sentence.

V'Lala nodded and made another note. "Very well. You are dismissed Number One. I remind you that we are to begin analysis on the data, but also that we will be on patrol again on the next week. Please submit the duty shifts to me for the next week within the day, and then the provisional duty shift for the patrol," she took her teacup and sipped her tea.

Sulayman stood and nodded. Before he got to the door, something, probably the caffeine, made him stop and turn. "I'm sorry for only achieving 98% Captain," he blurted out and regretted his emotional outburst almost before the words had even left his lips.

V'Lala looked at him, emotionless. "Sorry, Lieutenant Commander?" Sulayman looked back sheepishly. "Lieutenant Commander, do you know why I picked you to serve on the al Haytham as a First Officer?" Sulayman shook his head. "You are growing Lieutenant Commander. I do not want to hear apologies."

"Yes sir."

"You are dismissed Number One."

As Sulayman turned and left, V'Lala looked down to her PADD which she had not even turned on. In a certain light, her mouth could have been seen to curl into a small smile, before she sipped her tea.

3 Likes
(19 February 2417)

Sulayman leaned back in his chair and then winced immediately has the pain from his side shot up his body.
"Al'ama!" he cried and Rana yelped a little in shock. "Sorry Rana..." he said and slowly stood up, the pain in his leg adding to the pain in his side. All this just added to his frustration; frustration that he was not allowed to work and all the news Eunha dropped on him yesterday. He shook his head.
"This is my punishment," he muttered to the empty room. "This is what I get for committing Zina. God is punishing me for this." He looked down to the AAR he was just writing and chuckled darkly. "You seemed to be punished too Captain, for your own fornication." Sulayman had thought that Captain Se'Lai and Captain Bishop were married, but her outburst in the mission last night had proven otherwise. "Why are you punished by death, and I not?" he mused as he stood up, placing his PADD on the table. "Surely...surely Zina is not that bad of a sin, that you are possibly dead for it. If so...was I meant to have died yesterday?" he walked to the window and took his shirt off in a well-practised motion and stood in the light of the stars looking at the bandage around his waist.
"If God had written that I was to die yesterday, then nothing would have stopped it. I am alive because God wants me alive. I can repent...Captain Bishop...if you are dead...then you cannot."
Sulayman stood looking at the stars. His mind raced.
"How is this fair?" he suddenly roared. "How is it fair that I am allowed to live and repent and he is not?" He turned and violently kicked his shirt, pulling the bandage off his leg and sending another wave of pain up his leg. He fell sideways into a shelf; his hands flew up to stop his fall. He did but knocked a picture off the shelf. Cursing and bleeding, he stooped down to pick it up but froze when he saw what picture it was; the drawing of him and Eunha that Zee had done. It was perfect in its representation, as is she had taken a picture and stuck it on a canvas. Staring at it, he lifted it up and gently put it back on the shelf. What were they going to do now? What did the future hold for them. If they were even meant to be?
"How do I fix this?" he mumbled quietly. "How am I meant to repent?" Sulayman stood and put on his shirt, marching out of the room and to the transporter pad. Transporting to DS13, he went directly to the mosque. Carefully making ablution, he went and prayed, uttering the words he had said so many times before. This time, however, it had his full concentration, his full thought.

"All praise is to God, Lord of all the worlds,
The most gracious, the most merciful,
Master of the day of judgement.
It is you alone I worship, and it is you alone from who I seek help,
Guide me down the straight path;
The path upon which you have invoked your favour, not the one of those who have gone astray.
Ameen"

After finishing his prayer, Sulayman stood and walked over to the Imam. "Salaam Alaykum, Brother Hakeem," he greeted, placing his hands in the Imam's.

"Wa Alaykum Salaam. Sulayman, it is nice to see you again!"

"Thank you, Hakeem saab, I have been busy of late."

"How is your work? Mashallah, I heard that you completed a successful survey of a star, am I right?"

Sulayman nodded. "Yes, I did."

"I have been meaning to ask, if you are free on Friday, would you mind leading the Jummah prayer?"

Sulayman blinked. Leading Friday prayers was a big honour. "I would love to Hakeem saab, but I can't..."

"Why not? Are you busy?"

"No..." Sulayman looked away ashamed. "I don't think someone who has sinned can lead Friday prayer..."
Brother Hakeem looked at Sulayman. "Sulayman, if we were to look for someone who had not sinned to lead Friday prayer, we would not find anyone. We are humans Sulayman. We all sin, we all fall into temptation. But God is not called the most merciful for nothing. Our ability to know sin, regret sin, and ask for forgiveness is what makes God love us so. You are a learned man. I'm sure you've heard of the hadith where God said to Prophet Muhammed, "And if he comes to Me walking, I will go to him at speed." So walk towards him Sulayman, and do not despair. He knows what is in your heart."

Sulayman looked up at Hakeem's kindly face. "I don't know Hakeem saab. I've been struggling to believe God's mercy recently, struggling to believe in the path he's laid out for me."

"Sulayman, we all face doubts and we should. You are a scientist, you know you should always question everything. Such is true in Islam too. Questioning your faith is what makes you stronger in it..."

Sulayman paused and thought on that. "If you are free Hakeem saab, and I am not taking up your time...can we talk?" he said after a while.

"Of course Sulayman...that is what I am here for! Come, I believe the ladies' Quraan circle has just finished, we can use that room; I think they leave behind tea and dates..." he winked at Sulayman and walked off in the direction of one of the rooms. Sulayman followed with a small smile.

3 Likes
(29 March 2417)

Ya Hayati

Oh, love light of my life,

To you I owe my life the world,
Though I have nothing to offer,
But my heart and soul,

Your tantalising beauty,
No words can describe,
Your angelic form moulded from the purest light all that is pure

Never have I deserved you,
A lost soul upon the turbulent seas,
Guided home.

My heart beats your name,
Your love sustaining,
This unworthy body soul.

My life has meaning because of you,
There is no desert I would not cross,
To be with you.

The only thing I need in life is you,
Chasing shadows in the pale moonlight blackened nights,
Without your love.

Your touch quenches this thirsty body, tongue, soul,
And my heart blooms,
Drinking in your love...

Sulayman put down his pen and looked at the picture that was on his desk. It had been a week and yet he missed her terribly. No amount of work could distract him from that fact.

Love and worry overwhelmed him. How was she? He had been hesitant to call, fearing news that would beset him with worry. She had not called him either. Like Schrödinger's cat, she was both well and ill, and Sulayman had not the courage to open the box to check.

What a great husband he was.

He looked at the scribbled mess of words that contained a semblance of a poem for her. The poem was the only thing he could do to take his mind off the pain in his heart. He shook his head. The poem was heavily plagerised. His love couldn't even spur him to write a love poem to his wife.

Sulayman looked at her face again, and his heart was skewered by pangs of love. Pangs which delivered fear into his bloodstream, like venom. Did they make a mistake by getting married? Did they even know what marriage meant? The commitment? Could they do it? Could he do it?

"You already made that commitment when you put a baby inside me," Eunha's voice bounced around Sulayman's brain. But that commitment wasn't even a true commitment. Not until the baby was born. Until then, it was a thing of the future. Marriage. That was now.

Eunha was his guiding star in the turbulent waters of life. But had he unfurled his sails too soon, in pursuit of the star? Unfurled the sails in a storm, which was sending him towards the jagged rocks which Eunha had tried to steer him away from?

He had rushed into desert of love headfirst and now he was stranded without water. And what was worse, he had dragged Eunha and their unborn child into the desert too. They were all parched, and lost.

The story fell into place almost instantly. The prophet Ibrahim was told by God to take his wife, Hajar and his first born son Ismail, and leave them in the desert. When the two ran out of water, Hajar ran between two mountains looking for water. That was when an angel came down and created the Zamzam well. This well lead to the city of Makkah being created, the most important city for Muslims.

What did Hajar have that Sulayman didn't? Faith in God. Sulayman made up his mind there and then. He was going to go on Hajj this year, the yearly pilgrimage that all Muslims were instructed to do at least once in their lives if they could afford it. He was lucky to have done it several times already, such were the benefits of being born and raised in Saudi Arabia. But he had not been since he enrolled in the academy, around ten years ago. And this year, he had a lot to be thankful for, as well as a lot to seek forgiveness for. Sulayman looked at the picture of his beloved wife again.

His fingers acted of their own accord. The connection was instantaneous, as if the person on the other end was waiting for it.

"Hey, I was wondering when you'd call," Eunha smiled.
"Hey ya hayati. I love you," Sulayman blurted out.
Eunha chuckled. "I love you too,"
"How are you?"

Sulayman's fears and worries evaporated as they talked, replaced with the familiar electricity of young love.

3 Likes
16 April 2417

Sulayman strode through the corridors of the al Haytham, his face illuminated by the flashing red light, his ears ringing with the sound Red Alert siren. His nose wrinkled up as the smell of acrid burning wafted through the air. Something was clearly wrong.

"Out of the way!"

Sulayman turned and then jumped to the side as a hover-stretcher zoomed past him, followed by a nurse. She was running down to the turbolift, away from the medbay. Sulayman eyes caught a glimpse of the stretcher as it whizzed by. It's inhabitant was writhing in pain, his face scorched by what looked like a burn mark. Something was very badly wrong. Sulayman turned and bolted towards the medbay.

The medbay was full to the brim. Nurses and doctors yelled over each other as they scrambled to tend their patients. Even with the expanded medical bay, all the beds were full, and behind him, the badly injured patients were being carted off to one of the other two sickbays on the ship. Dr Kiera Grey stood in the middle, directing. A lady whose age was masked by her youthful face, Dr Grey was calm and collected, a stark contrast to what was happening around her.

"Ensign, she needs two CC's of Melathropaline and a dermal regenerator. No, he's cleared and can be taken back to his quarters, ready his bed for that Commander. Ivaana, I need you to contact DS13 Medical, we'll need some additional doctors and clearance to transport our badly wounded to the ICU. There's no room here, get him down to Deck Five," her eyes fell on Sulayman. "Commander, over here," she beckoned.

Sulayman wove his way around to her, stepping over crouched doctors and moaning patients. "What happened?"

"Explosion on Deck Six. The Biogenic compound Lieutenant Flores' team were studying in Lab 34? It didn't react well to the isoteric tubes and lepton radiation experiment that was going on in Labs 33 and 35. The compound went from 294.5 Kelvin to 7,021.3 Kelvin in less than 0.5 seconds,"

Sulayman winced. "How did that not rip the ship apart?"

"The emergency bulkheads we installed after the last explosive experiment failure kicked in and isolated the labs and the deck. Still, the blast ripped through at least four labs,"

"Casualty report?"

"Two dead, and around thirty-eight injured."

"Where's the Captain?"

Dr Grey did not hesitate to point the Captain out. She was lying on one of the beds, her face cracked and oozing green liquid. "She was doing a spot check in Lab 15 when the explosion happened. She's suffering from huge blood loss and multiple third degree burns. She'll be okay, but out for at least a month,"

"A month?" Sulayman's face drained of blood as he realised what that meant. Dr Grey caught him before he fell, administering a hypo with a flick of her wrist.

"Alright there Commander, calm down," Sulayman blinked up at her, spaced out. "Jesus Christ, Commander, we don't have time for this," she reached up to replicate a glass of water and dumped the entire glass over Sulayman's head. "Commander, you're in charge now, for Christ sakes don't screw up on us now," She let go of Sulayman. He swayed dangerously as if he was about to collapse but he didn't. Instead, he reached up and wiped the water from his face.

"Do you need another hand here?" he mumbled.

"No...we're fine for now. You should take Dhakku and Iter, and do a walk around the labs. See what damage has been done and whether the hull has been compromised. We need to know if we need to dry dock her, or whether we can fix her from orbit,"

Sulayman nodded as the colour began to return to his face. "Keep me updated on the Captain's condition,"

"I will do sir," Dr Grey offered a small smile of encouragement to Sulayman before snapping back to giving orders. "Benzaline, thomoropan and water," she said to a nurse as he wheeled a patient in.

Sulayman picked his way out of the medical bay into the deserted corridor. Turning a corner, and making sure nobody saw him, he hit his head on the bulkhead, cursing slightly, before standing up, straightening his uniform, running a hand through his soaked hair, and returning to duty.

3 Likes
The Well of Peace - Part 1
(25 April 2417)

Acting Captain's Log - Stardate 94314.4. The al Haytham, with her repairs now near completion, set off for POI A-7866 in the Aldebaran Sector, an anomaly first discovered by the USS Attar a few weeks earlier. Captain Timoreev said that they had detected an unusual gravitational anomaly between two uninhabited systems in the sector, A-86 and A-102 respectively. Both these systems were discovered in the early 24th Century when they were classed as uninhabited. Captain Timoreev's reports suggested that they still are uninhabited, but we will not know for sure until we arrive and scan ourselves. As to what this gravitational anomaly is...we have taken onboard a Lieutenant Sumida, from the Attar, to aid with our investigation.

"Onscreen," Sulayman leaned forward in Captain V'Lala's chair, on the edge of the seat. His fingers were entwined together and his chin rested on his closed hands as he looked at the picture that was being projected on the viewer.

A mass of broken rocks littered the system like a minefield, planets with large chunks taken off them orbited erratically like half eaten apples thrown into water. Two suns stared each other from opposite ends of the space chessboard, the only two stable planets and the black anomaly being the only pieces in the game.

"This is...new..." Sulayman stood up, breaking the silence that had descended on the bridge. "Where are P A-86 and 102?" he asked.

"This should be 86, Commander. 102 is a few lightyears from here but...it's not showing up on any scans," Iter, the CSO, responded.

Sulayman glanced at the two stars. "Was 86 a binary star system?" he asked, already knowing the answer.

"No sir,"

"Which one of these stars is the one for 86?"

There was a pause. "The one on the left sir, the K type star,"

"And the star on the right? An F class white dwarf?"

"Yes...yes sir," Iter was surprised that Sulayman could identify the star without looking it up.

"And the star for 102 was an F class white dwarf?" Sulayman pressed further, not taking his eyes off the viewer, leaning on the railing in front.

"Why...yes sir..." Iter jumped onto Sulayman's train of thought. "Which means..."

"Which means that we have our two systems here," Sulayman wasn't going to let Iter take credit for the conclusion he had come up with. "Looks like the anomaly brought the two systems together. This debris...is what's left when their orbits collided. Scan for lifeforms. I doubt there would be any left. Let's also send a probe over to the anomaly, control it manually to park it outside the event horizon," he ordered.

There was a pause whilst the crew got to work. It gave Sulayman a chance to glance around and watch the officers work.

"Probe ready sir,"

"Launch it," he nodded.

A few seconds later the telemetry returned from the probe.

"Sir, we're getting data from the probe. It seems like the field strength is strong, it's still pulling the two stars towards it. The event horizon is a few kilometres away from where we are,"

Sulayman tapped his combadge. "Dhakku, status report of our engines and power? We're not at risk of being pulled in are we?"

"No sir, power levels and engines are at full capacity. They were designed to hold out when studying gravitational forces up close. We have time,"

"Keep me informed," he nodded, tapping his badge to end communication.

"Sir...we have lifesigns!"

Sulayman turned around, curious. "We do? Where?"

"On...the two planets around the anomaly,"

Sulyaman looked back out to the anomaly. "They're...well within the event horizon...how are they not pulled in yet? What are the gravitational forces around the stars like; they shouldn't be able to hold back the planets when they're that close!"

"I...this is really confusing sir...the life signs...aren't even minor...it's like there are two civilisations on those planets!"

Sulayman was at a loss. Think, al Firawn think! What would Captain V'Lala do? She would ask for his opinion...what would he do? "Commander," he turned to Iter. "I want you to fully map the gravitational areas in the system. I want a full visual map of what's affecting what and how strong each force is. How long would you need?"

"At least eight hours,"

"Eight hours? You have three. That's an hour more than you need," Sulayman rebuked, struggling to stem his frustration at the incompetent old Betazoid. Tapping his combadge once more, he said. "al Firawn to Lieutenant Sumida. Please report to the bridge immediately," Looking at the bridge he finally ordered. "When the Lieutenant arrives, tell her to meet me in my ready room. Maintain scans and..." The ship jarred.

"Sir...our engines...they've...overloaded!"

Sulayman was first on the combadge. "Dhakku, you assured me..."

"I don't know Commander! The engines just shut off!"

"Well get them working again, now!" Sulayman snapped and turned around to see the gravitational anomaly grow closer. "Is the ship moving?"

The helmsman turned back to his console. "Yes sir,"

Sulayman bared down on him and swivelled his chair around. "Then why the hell do I have to tell you? Do your goddamn job or just get out!" he roared into the man's face. "Stop us from moving!" he turned back towards the centre when a crash sent him almost sprawling to the floor. "Please do not tell me that was the probe!" he said, grabbing the rail as he stood up. The bridge, now paralyzed at the anger of the young man, didn't reply. "I asked a bloody question!" Sulayman yelled again.

"Yes sir...we've...gone past the event horizon..." someone squeaked.

Sulayman looked at the crew helplessly. "Al'ama," he sighed. "You all had better brace for impact then," he said defeatedly, slumping into the chair. "Or...you know...do your jobs and get us out?"

The bridge crew jumped into action. Sulayman shook his head. "Oh so now you decide to all work," he muttered. "Red alert, shields up, all decks prepare for impact," he punched his console and ordered. Gripping the armrests, he stared at the black anomaly as it neared and uttered a silent prayer.

Sulayman was the only one who didn't close his eyes as the al Haytham hit the black anomaly. Because of this, he was the only one to see the al Haytham go through the darkness like a curtain. On the other side, the ship gracefully slowed to a stop. On the other side, was what seemed to Sulayman, like a small moon. Only it was no moon. It was mechanical. Like a Borg sphere. Only it wasn't. It was radiating some form of energy, which seemed to coagulate to form the dark shielding around it, the dark curtain that the ship had crashed through seconds before.

"Chop, chop everyone, nap time is over," Sulayman snapped as he stood up. One of the Ensigns opened his eyes.

"Am I in... heaven?"

Sulayman turned on the poor officer. "You're in hell boyo, and guess what, I'm the goddamn devil...now...JUMP TO YOUR BLOODY STATION AND LET'S GET TO WORK!"

The boy was paralyzed in fear, as Sulayman turned away, rescued by the gentle arms of another officer as she pulled him back to his station.

"The... thing... is emitting graviton particles. The thing... we went through seems to a sort of gravity well," came a report. Sulayman stood digesting this information.

"Did anything else get pulled in?" he asked, calmly.

"No sir."

Iter looked up from his console. "Commander, I have analysed the ships' logs from when we were dragged in. It wasn't the gravity that bought us closer. It was some sort of tractor beam,"

"Tractor beam?" Sulayman asked.

"Sir, I recommend we try and hail the ship," came a voice from the helm.

"Negative sir, we don't know who might be out there and their intentions," Lieutenant Priol, the Chief of Security cut in.

Sulayman spent a few seconds in thought. "Well, we're stuck in here with whatever it is that brought us in. I don't see any other choice. Ensign, broadcast standard Starfleet greeting, all frequencies," he ordered as he tapped his combadge. "Dhakku, engine status?"

"Warp drive offline, we still have thrusters and impulse power,"

"I don't suppose I have to tell you what to get fixed,"

"Replicators?

Sulayman ended the call sharply, cursing in Arabic. "I'm starting to think that Captain Se'Lai might have been onto something when gave me that White Pages. "Lieutenant Commander Krako is beginning to look like a very capable candidate," he made a mental note to reach out to her about the Acting First Officer position if they came out of this alive.

"We're being hailed sir!" the Helm's voice brought him out of his thoughts.

"Onscreen," Sulayman said and strode to the middle, fastening his arms behind his back like he had seen Captain V'Lala do countless times before. On the screen flickered a small man, with darting eyes, reddish skin and a smooth nose flickered into view. His brown hair was wild and a pair of rather flimsy hexagonal glasses, that seemed to slide down his non-existent nose every few seconds.

"You... you're not Lorans, or Valons..." he said, rather baffled. "Who are you?"

"I am Lieutenant Commander Sulayman al Firawn of the USS al Haytham. We are representatives of the United Federation of Planets. Who are you?"

"United Federation of Planets?"

Sulayman blinked. "Yes, we're are an organisation dedicated to fostering peace and unity in the universe,"

"Peace? And unity? Oh well, that's wonderful! That's exactly what I'm trying to do here!"

"How so?" Sulayman asked.

"Well, you see. There are these two planetary systems...the Lorans and the Valons. They have been fighting a proxy war for decades over my planet. When they destroyed it, I resolved to end this war, no matter the cost."

"Wait, did you say decades?" Sulayman looked at the Helm. "Mute comms," he ordered before turning to Priol. "What's the conflict report in this sector?"

"There are no planets in the area that have been charted with any form of warfare in the past decade Commander," came to reply.

"Then how could they have been fighting a war?" Sulayman wondered. "Ensign, unmute,"

"Channel open sir,"

"Could you tell us more about this war, and your planet?" Sulayman asked.

"It was devastating. They rained down death from above. Day and night, it was a constant bombardment. Their troops...they did the most terrible things. Murder was not enough for them; they came and stole our families, robbed us of our peace..." the man looked away from the screen.

"How did this atrocity start?" Sulayman asked, leaning forward on the railing.

"It was our fault," the man said through gritted teeth, turning back to the screen, a hatred in his eyes. "We discovered the two systems. Gave them our technology. Out of friendship. And they used it against us,"

Sulayman turned to Iter. "There were no indications of life signs on those planets, yet alone warp drive, right?" Iter replied with a nod.

"They used the Pulse Step."

"The...what?"

"The Pulse Step. We developed this system of travel that allowed for us to teleport from our homeworld to other homeworlds. It was unrefined and used a lot of power. We were lucky to make it to the two planets next to us. With their permission, we built Pulse Step hubs to let us travel between worlds using quicker and safer. We helped the Lorans and Valons grow. Then they turned on us. They both used the Pulse Step to come to our world and fought to gain control of the other Pulse Step hub."

Sulayman looked around the bridge, who were all engrossed in the tale.

"And...what was your plan to foster unity?" Sulayman asked finally.

"I was going to bring the planets together so that they wouldn't have to fight anymore and they could coexist."

Sulayman stared at the screen, awestruck. "You...you're the one who moved two entire systems?"

"Yes,"

Sulayman blinked "Well... you did it..." he finally managed.

The reddish man shook his head. "No, this was the easy bit. Now we have to make sure that this war ends in peace,"

Sulayman swallowed. If moving two systems was the easy part, he dreaded the hard part that was yet to come.

4 Likes
The Well of Peace - Part 2

Acting Captain's Log, supplemental. We discovered that the gravitational anomaly was actually a ship, crewed by a single person called Johannix, who is a member of the now extinct Hereensian race. Johannix developed a device that could pull two systems together, in a desperate attempt to foster peace amongst two warring races, the Lorans and the Valons, whose war is the reason the Hereensians are extinct. I am doubtful if Johannix is sure of what he is doing, both with the gravitational device and with the peace process. If the two stars collide, the resulting implosion could drastically alter the nearby space. With civilian space lanes in the nearby sector, this could result in a catastrophic loss of life. But to turn off the device would first mean aiding Johannix in his quest for peace. With the al Haytham trapped within the sphere and with no way of communicating with the outside, this becomes a debate of the Prime Directive; would Starfleet involvement here go against it? If so, we'll have to find another way of disabling this device...

"I say we beam across to the man's ship and take the device by force, disabling it," Priol made a fist with his hand and sent it crashing into the palm of his other. Sulayman sighed, placing his head in his hands and running his fingers through his hair.

"Any suggestions that don't include attacking someone who looks like he'd die facing his own shadow?" he replied flatly, looking around at the assembled officers.

"I don't believe this breaches the Prime Directive, Commander," Dr Grey said, looking to Sulayman. "Lives are at stake with this device and stopping it is our main priority. Besides, these people have already developed well beyond the technological level that Starfleet would find acceptable to make First Contact..."

"But they have not yet developed the Warp Drive, our best indicator of development. And they're clearly not ready for First Contact." Iter interrupted.

"I will not stand by and watch as our inaction leads to the deaths of those who ARE well developed," Grey fired back sharply.

"Well, I sure as hell am not going to stand by as we violate the first thing we're taught in the academy,"

"You mean, you're trying to absolve yourself of any blame should this all go ti..."

"Enough!" Sulayman rose and said firmly. "Captain V'Lala might have tolerated your incessant bickering, but I don't. We're a bloody team. We have to bloody well work together. And if you can't then you can grab your jacket and sod off to your quarters, do you understand?"

All the officers, bar Dr Grey, were surprised at Sulayman's fierceness. Sulayman had a reputation for being a tough taskmaster but never had he yelled at so many senior officers in a gathering and certainly not as overtly as this. The crew replied with a small mumble.

"Right. Well look. The Prime Directive states that we can't interfere with the cultural development of an alien species. Okay, that's what we're working with here. We just need to decide whether or not our being here alters that. Forget about everything else, just focus on this. Ideas?"

There was silence as the officers thought. Dr Grey was the first to speak.

"No. These people are sufficiently advanced enough. They will not be influenced by our actions."

"How can we be sure of that Doctor?" Sulayman asked.

"We can't. We can't predict the future."

"We almost certainly would. They're in a middle of a war. A war that has destroyed an entire race. If we just came in and told them to stop, how would they learn?" Iter said.

"If I may speak?" Lieutenant Sumida piped up from the back. Sulayman looked at her.

"Of course Lieutenant, please, speak your mind."

"Our actions here will not alter the course of the two planets. Not if we act appropriately. I believe everyone is focused here on direct interference to tell them to stop the war. We can't do that. However, we can help our friend over there act as peacemakers. We would be nothing more than intermediaries. As long as we do not force our ideas onto them, we have that right, if Johannix would like us too."

Sulayman stood in silence for a long while. "Does anyone else have any other ideas?" He was met by silence. "Then I would agree with Lieutenant Sumida. I'll go over and oversee the negotiations. Sumida, given your skill set, I want you on the away team with me."

"And if it fails? Then what? Best case scenario, a sector, maybe two are destroyed, worst case, we all lose our damn jobs for violating the Prime Directive!" Iter growled. The look that Sulayman gave him made him wither away slightly.

"If you interrupt me one more time, I will personally SHOVE YOU INTO A TORPEDO BAY AND FIRE YOU AT THE DAMN SUN MYSELF!" he yelled, rounding on the man. "One more... one more word from you and I will strip you of your rank and confine you to quarters. Do you understand?" He grabbed the man's collar and shook him violently. Iter nodded silently, cursing as Sulayman let him go. "Priol. I want you, Dhakku and Mr Directive over there to find a way onto Johannix's spaceship. Find a way to disable the gravitational device. If it all goes wrong, I want to be able to have a way out, and stop any unnecessary deaths. Make it look like an accident or something. You shouldn't have any problems being seen since Johannix would be with us, but stay on your guard. Understood? Dismissed," he said curtly before storming out of the room.

Nobody moved after Sulayman had left. Finally, Iter said, "Remind me again, is this a Federation ship, or a KDF ship?"

"Shut up," Dr Grey shook her head at him as she left. The other officers looked at Iter, some passively, others sympathetically, as they filed out. Lieutenant Sumida was the last one to leave, silently wondering the exact same and wishing that she had not volunteered for this assignment as readily as she did. The al Haytham wasn't a fun ship to work on.

Sulayman sat in Captain's ready room, staring at the console ahead of him. On it was a picture of Eunha. Leaning forward, he crossed his arms and laid his head on them, staring at the picture of his wife.

"What am I going to do ya hayati?" he mumbled. "I'm so far out of my depth, I don't even know if I'm swimming or drowning. I don't even know which way is up and which way is down. And I miss you... I wish you were here with me... you'd know what to do."

"I am here Sulayman,"

Sulayman sat up, blinking at the picture. "What?"

"Look up you idiot," Dr Grey chuckled as she walked in.

"Keira... Doctor... you didn't ring?" he closed the console, turning slightly red.

"Turn any redder and I will have to suspend you from duty!" Dr Grey laughed. "Don't worry, you're not the only one who talks to pictures of their spouse when they need advice. I do it with my husband. Although there is a thing called the telephone, it was invented on Earth by a genius of a man called Alexander Graham Bell and technology has worked wonders in that time. It is almost like they're in the room with you,"

Sulayman offered a small smile. "It's late and Eunha normally sleeps at this time. She's probably in bed cuddled up next to Rana,"

"How is Rana?" Grey slumped onto the sofa. "Bring her back on board sometime, she's great for morale. And it makes you popular too,"

"Rana is fine, though she loves to be with Eunha. Doesn't like it when she spends too long away from her,"

"That makes two people I know," Grey smirked. "Listen Sulayman. Lighten up. You're doing a good job, but it is clear you're nervous and out of your depth. You're barking at every single mistake and people are being thrown off their game. You're not the First Officer anymore. You can't deal with every single action that comes your way. You've got to be at the helm, steering the ship to calmer waters, not berating officers for not swabbing the decks too, do you understand?"

Sulayman sat back in the Captain's chair and sighed. "I'm failing Kiera. I really need help,"

"Then ask for it... Listen. Iter's an ass. Priol wants everything to be a huge conspiracy. Dhakku is... Dhakku, I have no other word to describe her. But have you noticed how Iter is never one to skimp out on detail? He may be slow, and I know you hate that, but he never, ever misses anything. Priol is a rock. He is unwavering in his loyalty to you and the ship. Dhakku may have her humour which annoys you, but has she ever missed a deadline? No. Each one of your crew is flawed, deeply. But each has their strengths. As First Officer, your job is to make sure each individual component works and works well. You're excellent at that. But as Captain. You have to make sure each component works well and as a team. That's what you lack. The bigger picture. Get your head out of the sand and start to look at the beach. You'll find it has a lot more beauty when you look at it like that,"

Sulayman pondered. "You're right..."

"Of course I'm damn right you idiot," she said, jumping up and walking to the door. "Now buck up your ideas, I didn't come here to offer you a pep talk. I came in here to tell you that Johannix managed to get representatives of the Lorans and the Valons onto his ship. And from the looks of it, it's going to be a one-shot opportunity. You can't mess this up. My last advice? Look for areas of common ground between the two. It's how you're able to build bridges between two people. How did you and your wife get into a deep relationship?" she asked him.

"We went to the hot tub and had..."

"Oh, that's your cue," Dr Grey looked behind as one of the officers gave her a signal. "Good luck Commander!"

Sulayman was beamed across to Johannix's vessel.

3 Likes
Well of Peace - Part 3

Acting Captain's Log - supplemental. After having decided that as long as we acted as independent mediators, we could try to forge a peace between the two warring races. However, given the gravity of the situation, we also hoped that our being at the negotiation table would buy time for a small away team to beam across to the Hereensian ship and disable the gravitational device. The crew of the al Haytham is on standby, ready to quickly beam back the away team and warp away as soon as we are able. Hopefully, we will be able to achieve lasting peace in this system. Hopefully...

Sulayman found himself in the middle of a deathly staring contest between the two races, interrupted when he and Sumida had beamed inbetween them.

"Are we here to discuss the terms of the Lorans' total subjegation?" The Valon roared. The representative looked like the illegal child of a Nausicaan and a Gorn. Thick leathery skin, claws for hands, a bony head that lead to a point resembling a rhino's horn. And the tusks. Sharp, yellowed tusks reeled out of the Valon's mouth as if he had thrown too many teeth in and was struggling to keep them all in. When the Valon spoke, it was more akin to a lion's roar tan a human's speech.

The Loran looked much more like the successful child of a Gorn and a Saurian. Her dark grey skin was smooth and soft, almost looking wet. The slender face dominated by a large muzzle, with thin teeth that could be seen whenever the Loran smiled, which happened to also be her resting face, making her look unsettling, as if she was plotting. Sulayman noticed that the Loran had no eyes at all. This did not seem to handicap her at all; she moved with extraordinary grace. Between these two creatures, Johannix, with his red skin and no nose, looked the most human.

"No," Johannix said firmly, pressing his glasses to his face. The glasses fell back down immediately. "We're here to talk about peace,"

"Peace? Peace when we are close to victory?" The Loran smiled at Sulayman.

"Yes," Sulayman found his voice."You are close to victory, both of you. You are close to deciding something that could end the deaths of many and allow your children a space to grow up free from devastation,"

"Who are you? We have never seen you before," the Valon roared.

"I am Sulayman al Firawn. I am here as an impartial mediator. You can rest assured I have no favourites in your conflict,"

"That's good. I'm sure we can win you over to our side," grinned the Loran

"No. He will surely side with the mighty!" said the Valon.

Sulayman glanced at Sumida. "I am principled; instead of trying to win me, why don't you try and win each other? Please, let's sit,"

Oh Eunha, if only you could see me now... Sulayman thought as the two races argued over each other.

"The Lorans are nothing but slimy beings that have no place in the worlds but as slaves to the Valon master race," the Valon smashed his fist on the table. "They must be made to kneel, like the scum they are,"

"The Valons...such grace. What would you expect from a barbaric race that eats their own excrement and parades around the streets hollering like Herhtas before a kill?"

The Valon stood up. "You dare mock the ancient passage of Her Highness Derlitza? You insolent Gargh! I ought to strike you down where you stand!"

"Clearly such a specimen as yourself is the pinnacle of this "master race". In our society, people like you are put in their place. As test subjects to our scientific experiments!"

Sumida tapped Sulayman on the shoulder and leaned in. "This is just a power play. It's obvious that neither side is going to back down," she whispered. "We have to make them see a common ground..."

Sulayman nodded and looked back to the two who were arguing heatedly. Johannix's eyes ping-ponged between the two sides, his glasses hanging on valiantly. "If I may, it is clear that both of you want peace," he said, breaking up the argument. "Can we agree on that?"

"We want peace. But only after the complete subjugation of the Loran race!" the Valon growled.

"There will be no peace until the Valon barbarians are all used as lab Fowtons for the Loran scientists!"

Sulayman slumped back into his chair as the argument continued. "It's progress I guess...right?" he looked to Sumida. She merely shrugged.

In Johannix' ship, the three members of al Haytham crew were sneaking around, trying to find the source of the gravity generator.

"Stay back!" Priol held his arm out to stop Dhakku and Iter from following him down the corridor. Then, with extreme extravagance, he jumped around the corner, rolling and pointing his phaser forward. "All clear," he nodded, allowing the other two to move on.

"You're a right nutjob you know that?" Iter shook his head as he stepped over Priol.

"I think it was kinda nice," Dhakku smiled as she followed. "Iter, these tubes seem to be getting thicker. I think we're close," she whispered. Iter nodded, using his tricorder to scan the surroundings.

"Graviton strength is increasing...this way," he began to walk down the corridor but was interrupted by the flying body of Priol as he dived to take the lead.

"I take lead," he said before carefully inching his way down the corridor, phaser uplifted.

"This is why I never come to the bridge," Iter mumbled as he shook his head. Dhakku giggled as she followed.

Sulayman was having a very hard time keeping the two from ripping each other's throats out. After a small agreement on what they would call the war (The War for Herenz, since the Hereensians were the only other enemy of the two races), there had been no progress. In fact, Sulayman had thought that the war fervour had increased during the time they were here.

"This was a mistake," he whispered to Sumida, as the Valon and the Loran were locked in a staring contest.

"They want peace...but they aren't willing to do anything towards it," Sumida said. "They're not willing to give the other anything. I wonder where this aggression comes from,"

"I don't know but we were right about one thing...they are really lacking Federation standards..." he sighed defeatedly as he watched the pair begin to argue yet again, this time about which one of them had really defeated the Hereensians. Johannix looked increasingly frustrated and Sulayman wondered what his plan would have been if they hadn't had shown up. Well for one they'd be looking at a catastrophic event that was for sure.

"Enough!"

Sulayman looked up. Johannix had somehow forced his way in between the two and was holding a device in his hand. He looked strangely calm.

"Enough. If you can't have peace, then everyone will die!" Johannix said.

The Valon laughed. "And how will you do that Hereensian? We wiped out the last of your people,"

"No," he shook. "You did not. I did,"

The silence was surreal.

"You? A Hereensian coward?" the Loran said slowly.

"You lie," the Valon growled. "You are nothing but a Loran puppet!"

"A Loran puppet? You insult our intelligence. We have nothing to do with the Hereensians. They are weak. We are powerful,"

"At last you speak the truth," the Valon replied before turning to Johannix. "And how will you kill us all?"

"With this," Johannix held the device aloft. "This is the device that destroyed our planet. That killed billions and billions of Hereensians, Valons and Lorans alike!"

The Loran and the Valon looked at each other then back at Johannix. "You lie," the Valon growled. "The death of those Valon warriors was due to Loran treachery!"

"No! The Loran troops were killed by the Valon superweapon," the Loran cut in.

Sulayman, Sumida, the Valon and the Loran all realised at that moment.

"Why... why did you destroy your own planet?" Sulayman asked.

"I did it so that the war would end. With no more Pulse Steps, there would be no need to fight!"

"Only... you created more death," Sulayman shook his head.

"No! I will have peace! If not in life, then in death!" Johannix was growing increasingly unstable. "When I press this button, the gravitational device will overload, creating a black hole which will pull the stars in. It will be painless for all!"

Sulayman glanced to Sumida, his own fear masked by concern for his crew and his ship. "Now Johannix... let's not be hasty..."

"Forget haste!" The Valon roared and pulled out a weapon, firing it at Johannix. The shot hit the Hereensian square in the chest and he flew backwards, hitting the back wall. With one defiant move, his thumb pushed the button on the device.

"Forgive me," he muttered.

A siren began to wail loudly. "Gravity Device Activated. Overload in T minus thirty seconds,"

"Quickly Valon!" the Loran yelled above the noise. "We can blow this ship from the sky if we attack it together!"

"Agreed. Initiating site to site transfer," he pressed a button and disappeared. Sulayman blinked as the Loran disappeared too. His hand flew to his combadge.

"ITER STATUS REPORT?"

"Something's turned on,"

"I damn well know that Iter, can you turn it off?"

"Dhakku's working on it!"

"Time?"

"Fifteen seconds,"

"You have ten!" he slipped his combadge and ran over to Sumida who was crouched by Johannix. Sulayman checked for a pulse. It was faint. "He's still alive!"

In response, Johannix coughed slightly. "Sor...ry...for...mess..."

"You did what you thought was best," Sulayman replied gently, his hand pressing the wound on the chest to try and stem the flow of blood.

"For...give...me..."

"Come on Johannix, don't give up on us!"

Johannix's hand grasped Sulayman's forcing them away from the bloody hole. He shook his head. "Remember..." he said, pressing a device into Sulayman's hand. With that, his head dropped, the glasses falling from his face. Sulayman picked them up.

T minus ten...nine...

The ship started to shake wildly as the combined might of the Valons and Lorans pound the hull.

"Iter, status report?"

"We've disabled the device Commander!" came the triumphant response.

Sulayman wasted no time in pressing his combadge. "Away team to al Haytham, five to beam up now!"

T minus Two...one...

2 Likes
Well of Peace - Epilogue

Acting Captain's Log - supplemental. Our mission of peace ended in failure. Though the gravitational device is destroyed and the system safe once again, I cannot help but think what the outcome might have been if we had ended the war. Would Johannix still be alive?

Sulayman sat in V'Lala's ready room looking at the stars whiz by. His thoughts were interrupted by the beep of the door.

"Come in," he said without looking over.

"Commander?"

Sulayman turned his head to see Sumida walk in. "Lieutenant. Please, come sit," he smiled. "You are a credit to Captain Timoreev. He is lucky to have a fine officer like you,"

Sumida smiled. "You flatter me, Commander. I came in to apologise for not being able to help more,"

Sulayman waved. "Nonsense Lieutenant. You did more than enough. I should apologise to you. I am not a diplomat, and I should not have tried to be one,"

"May... may I be so bold as to offer you some advice Commander?"

"Hmm?" Sulayman looked at her.

"You seem very grounded Commander. But your attempts to control everything often leads you to flounder. I've seen Captain Timoreev do the same, only..."

"Only what?"

"Only he has a First Officer who reminds him of his duty. I think you would do well to have one,"

Sulayman was quiet for a long time. "Thank you, Sumida," he said finally.

"Thank you for having me here Commander,"

"The pleasure was all mine. We'll be arriving back at DS13 in a few hours,"

Sumida nodded and made her way back to the door. "You can be sure that I will sing your praises to Captain Timoreev," she smiled before she left.

Sulayman's eyes shifted from the door to Johannix's broken glasses. "People seem to want to sing my praises. If only I could live up to their expectations," he sighed. "I failed you Johannix," he said quietly. "May you find in heaven the peace you so longed for in this world. "Inna lillahe wa inna illayhe rajioon" he muttered, before looking at the blood-soaked device next to it. He wondered what was on it. What secrets it held. "First things first," he shook his head. Pulling up a console, he began to type.

He knew what he needed. He knew that there was no other choice for the job. She would be perfect.

TO: LCDR K. Krako
SUBJ: A temporary posting.

THE END
4 Likes
Stardate 94391.9
(24 May 2417)

Sulayman quietly crept back into Eunha's quarters, not wanting to wake her. He had just come back from the nightly Taraweeh prayers, special prayers that were exclusive to Ramadan. Since the prayers required the recitation of one part of the Quraan per night, Sulayman was one of the few who led the prayers, since he was a Hafiz and knew the holy book by heart.

Sulayman knew that Eunha would be asleep when he returned and so slid in quietly, not wanting to wake her up. Rana had other ideas though and barked at him as soon as he stepped in.

"Rana! Shhh!" He whispered to the dog angrily. Rana did not let up, biting his trouser leg and tugging him towards the desk. "What is it?" he hissed. Rana merely jumped onto the desk and pawed at the console, whining lightly. Sulayman, his brow furrowed, sat on the seat and pulled open the console. A message popped up.

TO: Sulayman al Firawn

Sulayman paused. What was it his mother wanted? With a slight trepidation, he pushed open the message. It was short.

Ya Ibni,
How are you and your wife? My love to her and to you. We are all very pleased the awards you were given recently. Both of you do us proud!

Sulayman... your Baba was rushed to the hospital earlier today. He is currently in intensive care, but we are not sure which way he's going to go. They believe it is something to do with his heart.

Call me when you can ya ibni. The rest of us are safe and healthy.

mu'Hibkum,

Sulayman carefully re-read the letter once, then twice, then a final time, his eyes skimming over the part about his father. He felt as if his heart had jumped up to his throat. With shaking hands, he pushed the call button. The console rang once, twice, three times, before failing to connect. Nobody was picking up on the other end.

They won't be at home, Sulayman's brain told him, but none of it registered. His eyes were fixed upon the letters on the message. Baba. Intensive Care. Heart. Sulayman was aware of his own heart beating and suddenly he was terrified. Standing up, he made his way to the bedroom, taking off his clothes in a slow, deliberate fashion and putting his night clothes on. Then he quietly slipped into bed, wrapping his arms around his wife. She moaned lightly and shifted back into him.

"Eunha?" he whispered quietly.

"Mmm?" came the muffled response.

"I... love you..." he said, his voice close to breaking. Eunha turned around to face him. Looking at him, she understood at once and wrapped her arms around him, pulling his head into her neck. Sulayman, for the first time in his life, was glad that she was telepathic. He didn't have to explain anything; she already knew. As he broke down in her arms, Eunha held him close to her. She could feel his pain and knew she could do nothing to ease them but to hold him tight. He needed that. And under all his pain and sadness, Eunha could sense a small amount of gladness that she was there. That was all the validation she needed.

1 Like