TO: 38th/Command. | FROM: LCDR MacLean Subj: Proposal for Field Testing Of Azedi Countermeasures

BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 3 - Restricted

TO 38th/Command
CC LCDR H’ajah
FROM LCDR Duncan MacLean
SUBJ Proposal for Field Testing Of Azedi Countermeasures
qo6AqZW.png
On stardate 93707.7, the U.S.S. Gainsborough, U.S.S. Caelian, and U.S.S. Damocles encountered two unidentified vessels, one Dreadnought, and one smaller ship. Both unidentified ships attacked with no warning, using powerful Verteron beams. The Caelian and Damocles were both lost with all hands, and the Gainsborough was destroyed shortly after all hands abandoned ship. The smaller of the aggressor vessel was apparently disabled by concentrated weapons fire mixed with a collision from one of the Damocles’ vectors, however our weapons were largely ineffective against the larger dreadnought.

This was our first contact with the group known as the Confederacy of Azed. Since that time, the Azedi have made numerous attacks against Starfleet ships and personnel, only briefly entertaining peace talks. This string of aggressions culminated in a large scale offensive at Deep Space 13, which resulted in countless injuries, and the loss of the station itself.

We began work on a defensive system in order to protect Starfleet from further attacks by the Azedi. Silithium chaff showed promising results in testing, and so we moved forward with the design process on a deployment system. Recently we completed the first functioning prototypes, and we await field testing so we can begin mass production.

PROPOSAL

Prototype silithium chaff countermeasures should be mounted on a few test ships. These ships should run drills and simulations against holographic Azedi Dreadnoughts, recording data on chaff deployment efficiency, targeting trajectory, and beam vector prediction. Ease of use, reliability, and ease of maintenance should also be noted.

Once we have received data from these preliminary tests, we may need to make adjustments to the system. Therefore test ships must have a scheduled return to DS13 within 1 month of being fitted with the prototype system so that alterations and improvements may be made.

The final phase of testing will require live fire, therefore the test ships should be placed in areas where Azedi activity is predicted. The existence of systems like Teleraptor and the new countermeasures should provide us with the flexibility to be somewhat more aggressive with our deployments in the Azedi sector. While I recognize the risk these ships would be taking, active combat data will be invaluable to the continued development of Anti-Azedi systems.

This final phase is by far the most dangerous phase of the devices testing, and I wish to make it known that I would not propose it if I were not willing to take the risk myself. I volunteer to be present on the first ship that is sent to Azedi territory with one of these countermeasure systems.

It is my hope that this system will blunt the blades of the Azedi, and will allow us to move towards a lasting peace.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Duncan MacLean
R&D | DS13
//ATTACHMENT// Silithium_Chaff_ENG_rpt.log
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO Doza Task Force Message group
CC LCDR H'ajah
FROM RDML Quint
SUBJ Re: Proposal for field testing of Azedi Countermeasures

LCDR Duncan MacLean,

I have read over your proposal for moving forward in testing. I think perhaps a different approach may be warranted. You have developed a system that may have merit, your testing ideas are generally appropriate up until field testing. I think at this point there is a divergence in information. I was personally part of a team that explored a recovered Azedi ship. This ship has the weapon system you are designing to counter. Though it has been examined and dissected repeatedly.

My amendment to your proposal would be in the case of, why not reactivate and examine the weapon to test in a controlled environment? The chaos of a ship to ship fight, by my mind, is not a great place to test such an idea. Especially as it requires the ship to actively take a direct impact.

Feel free to move forward with the initial phase so you can test deployment implements. I recommend initial testing be done via the Asimov, unless you have other specific ships in mind. That information is absolutely going to be needed going forward, but I recommend reaching out to the various teams that worked on the Azedi ship during that testing and see what can be reconstructed.

Let me know what else you may need.

//SIGNED//
Emery Quint
Rear Admiral Lower Half, Fleet Executive Officer
38'th Fleet 'Argo
1 Like

TO 38th/ Command
CC LCDR H’ajah
FROM LCDR MacLean
SUBJ RE: RE: Proposal for Field Testing Of Azedi Countermeasures

I have received your critiques and I share your concerns, thus I would like to adjust my proposal to include a step before active deployment in a combat situation, in which we conduct live-fire exercises with the captured Azeri beam weapon.

As part of the Pegasus’ recent refit I was given permission by CPTN Nimitz to fit the prototype countermeasure system to the Pegasus. We are equipping the vessel with hull mounted launchers, as well as a complement of silithium chaff torpedoes. If possible, we will attempt to implement a dedicated auxiliary launcher for the chaff torpedoes. Due to the fact that the Pegasus is already being fitted with the systems necessary, It might be efficient to use it as a test bed in this case, particularly considering my recent assignment to her as Chief Engineer.
//SIGNED// Lieutenant Commander Duncan MacLean | Chief Engineer/ USS Pegasus

1 Like