TO: Capt. Kero Elan, CC: Capt. Eloise DuPont, SUBJ: Doza IV Botanical investigation

TO: Capt. Kero Elan
CC: Capt. Eloise DuPont
SUBJECT: Doza IV Botanical investigation

Captain,

I thought you would like to know our findings from preliminary tests of the plant samples you gave us from Doza IV.

We have managed to maintain all the plant samples in hydroponics using basic horticultural methods. They appear to be similar to most plant organisms in our area of the galaxy, in that they require sunlight, H2O and CO2 for photosynthesis of sugars with a byproduct of O2. H2O and required minerals are acquired via roots, the forces of cohesion and adhesion cause the water molecules to form a column in the xylem. Water moves from the xylem into the mesophyll cells, evaporates from their surfaces and leaves the plant by diffusion through the stomata – all very normal to us.

The specimen that has yielded the most consistent results under our care is an evergreen dwarf shrub not dissimilar from the earth species Vaccinium oxycoccus (often referred to as a Cranberry plant). This species that we have affectionately dubbed Vaccinium Kerelana (or the Keroberry for short) has been thriving in hydroponics and our simulations show it should continue to do so. There is one Elephant in the room however that needs to be addressed - your team’s visual accounts of bioluminescence.

Bioluminescence generally works in one of two ways, either the organism creates the chemical components required for luminescence by itself or it acquires external compounds by which to create the effect. We have as yet been unable to replicate the effect and we believe that the component enzyme (referred to as a Luciferase) requires particular minerals unique to the planet and found in the water supply to be absorbed by the plant roots, thus creating the chemical reaction to produce this effect. Using earth as a control example, bioluminescence is only generally found in fish and invertebrates and a few species of fungi and bacteria. As the plants are otherwise thriving in hydroponics we can only presume that the bioluminescent effect is not required for basic function. What has been observed is that the normal methods used to attract pollinating insects such as light coloured flowers and/or sweet smelling pollen are much less common and we believe the plants evolved (or rather, adapted) to use the abundance of a mineral we have dubbed ‘Mineral B’ to create a range of bioluminescent attractions that insects would be able to detect visually. If our supposition that this mineral is in abundance in the water of the planet is correct that would also offer an explanation as to why bioluminescent elements were spotted in other species of fauna as well as flora, as all species in the food chain would at some point be exposed.

It is unfortunate that I must note that traces of this mineral will have been depleted by the plant’s intake of water supplied by hydroponics. We are now taking samples for a micro-cellular analysis of the roots of all the samples to attempt to identify Mineral B and recreate the bioluminescent effect.

I will of course keep you updated as to our success in that.

Alicia

Lieutenant Junior Grade Alicia Andersson
Ship’s Botanist & Hydroponics Officer
U.S.S. Jeanne D’Arc
5 Likes
TO: Lt J.G. Alicia Andresson

Lieutenant,

First of all thank you very much for taking the time to look at the specimens, a much welcome second opinion. I do hope this hasn't interfered with your normal duties.

I am not sure if I should be flattered that you named a plant after me, or offended that the plant you decided to do that with is a dwarf one. Regardless... it is interesting how this Keroberry seems to have found alternative ways of enticing reproduction through the luminescence... The more I write, the more I question whether I am happy that you nicknamed that plant after me.

Yet, I say this in jest; that "Mineral B" is what really interests me, a shame we didn't spot this during the mission and we couldn't bring home more. If we had the time, we might have. The mineral's application for yet more alternative power sources could have been limitless.

Let me thank you once more for your time and do let me know if you find anything else, again, if it doesn't interfere with your normal operations.

Kero Elan
Captain, U.S.S. Troi
3 Likes
TO: Capt. Kero Elan

Captain,

First I should belay any wild expectations regarding Mineral B. our hypothesis is that It is most likely that it would be an inert compound that contains an element that the plant requires for its reaction creating bioluminescence. I don't expect this compound to have any amazing properties, I feel if it did it would be incompatible with the living ecosystem - imagine crude oil being exposed to the flora and fauna on earth.

Second, our Micro cellular analysis has been completed and we have found traces of a silicate compound otherwise absent from the plant life. We have synthesised this compound and I am pleased to report we have been able to recreate bioluminescence when this compound is introduced to the water supply. I am further able to confirm that my earlier theory on pollination appears to have been correct and that we have had to manually pollinate the plants to induce a reproductive cycle, in place of insect-like creatures that may have been native to the planet.

In short, as reported in my exposition above this compound, while slightly alien to any other known ecosystems has in itself no particularly notable qualities. I have attached a full molecular diagram for your information and interest.

I consider this investigation concluded, if there are any additional aspects that you would wish us to further examine please let me know.

Alicia

Lieutenant Junior Grade Alicia Andersson
Ship’s Botanist & Hydroponics Officer
U.S.S. Jeanne D’Arc
2 Likes
TO: Lt.J.G. Alicia Andersson

Lieutenant,

Thank you for carrying out these tests. To clarify it wasn't about the mineral being special as much as the chemical reaction it provided and how it could be manipulated, just as one can manipulate fire.

Regardless, thank you again for this detailed analysis, you put in more work into this than I expected. I guess you now have your Christmas decorations sorted for next year, if you celebrate it.

//SIGNED//
Kero Elan
Captain, U.S.S. Troi
3 Likes