To: CDR Mandra; CPT Thiessan | The Missing and the Dead

BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94891.5

TO <CDR Alina Mandra; CDR Keri Verlina>
CC <CPT Tau Thiessan; CDR Rose Hanson >
FROM LCDR Seral Val S'Nat
SUBJ The Missing and the Dead

Salutations,

As the station is destroyed along with the sciences laboratories, I expect to be reassigned in the near future. Until that time, I wish to be of assistance where possible. To that end, I have been consulting with those attempting to recover data and avoid total loss of their endeavors in the labs. My own experiments are completely on hold until I can obtain new samples and workspace.

I was approached by Dr. Nathon Wellington; he is aware of my skills and nature, and as such believed I may be able to assist him in obtaining closure for one of the officers marked as killed in action, Captain Beylara Ailes. While I am willing, I am uncertain as to his suggested plan of returning to the scene and taking new scans being possible to bear fruit. Regardless of my belief in the matter, I believe it is in the best interest of the mental health of the Doctor that he be allowed to follow through with this action. I am willing to offer myself as an assistant, and would only require the use of a properly equipped craft.

To that end, I request permission to take the time to perform said action. If granted, I will seek the use of a secondary craft from one of the currently drydocked starships.

Additionally; For my own thoughts, I am requesting a download of sensor data and logs. I am requesting data from all friendly craft in the system when the station was attacked and destroyed. My intention is to collect and compile the sensor data to create a more accurate accounting of the incident, and a full simulation for study. It is my belief if we cannot locate the remains of the missing and presumed dead, at least we can provide closure by verifying their fates. I am using the data already provided from the station's recovered data to begin and will make a request of the current commander of the William Ockham to use computer processing power and holodecks of that starship while it is in drydock being repaired.

It is a grim and grisly task to recover the dead. I am familiar and have experience with this duty. I am again willing to put myself to this task if for no other reason than to honor their memory and give thanks for the dedication of Starfleet personnel that endeavored to rescue my own doomed craft recently. As you are my chain of command I ask your permission to take this time and series of actions.

I am aware Commander Mandra; that you are exceptional with computer science, and would be of significant value in the creation of the incident simulation. I invite you to join in the effort if your time and willingness permit.

Captain Thiessan, I ask your assistance in obtaining the necessary sensor and log data. As I do not have command authority, it would be difficult to obtain the data without your assistance.

//SIGNED//
Seral Val S'Nat, LCDR
38'th Fleet, DS13 Sciences
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94898.1
Security Level 1: Open

TO LCDR Seral Val S'Nat
CC LCDR Verlin, Keri; LCDR Hanson, Rose; CAPT Thiessen, Tau
FROM CMDR Mandra, Alina
SUBJ. Re: The Missing and the Dead
4OB3P0J.png

I am not against this mission, but something of this scale and poking around at the station's remains needs full command approval so I will wait to see what Captain Thiessen and Commander Hanson have to say about it. If they are in approval though, I am alright with it and would even be more than willing to assist you in this. It might even be helpful to salvage some of my computer hardware on DS-13 to assist in the task as a component of this. However that is not fully necessary and should only be considered if feasible within the constraints of our goals.

I leave the decision to command of whether or not this is doable.

That being said, I have to ask about your statement on Dr. Wellington's mental health. I would very much like to confirm the fate of Captain Ailes as much as anyone. Perhaps not as much as som people even. Even so, if you believe there is an issue this is causing to someone's mental health.. that needs to be addressed properly beyond just a search for answers about someone presumed deceased. I have chosen not to alert the COs of Medical who command Dr. Wellington on this, nor even the Counseling Department, as I think he should willingly bring this up. I know you would not casually mention it like this if you thought it was a major problem Seral, but as his friend, you should suggest to him that he seek some measure of assistance from his command or Counseling if his mental health really is in any danger. Captain Thiessen might not be as generous as I am since he has a duty to let those departments know if someone in his command is in need of help. That doesn't mean this mission is impossible as it might be useful aside that (presuming Command approval), but it cannot be the only thing addressing such an issue if one truly exists.

//SIGNED//
Commander Alina Mandra
Chief of Science, 38th Fleet at K-7
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94898.3

TO CMDR Mandra, Alina
4OB3P0J.png

You are correct commander, I did not mention the issue of the Doctor's state lightly. I am not qualified to make an assessment, which I would suggest be made after the mission. It is illogical in the extreme to hold fast to the belief that someone missing in the cold of space for so long to be still alive. In this, the Doctor was beyond adamant, and I believe until evidence is provided, he is not likely to accept the logical conclusion. His apparent sense of guilt is what I wish to address, allowing him to make all reasonable efforts, in person, himself, I believe will provide him with the mental clarity to overcome his emotional state. I cannot speak to what would happen should he be denied, but my instinct was that it would be destructive to the Doctor and his health.

In addition and in clarity. In no way was I suggesting attempting to land, dock or board the station. But to perform study from the points in space where personnel went missing, using shipboard sensors.

//SIGNED//
Seral Val S'Nat, LCDR
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 2 - Confidential

TO LCDR S'Nat
CC CMDR Hanson, CMDR Mandra
FROM CAPT Thiessen
SUBJ Re: The Missing and the Dead
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant Commander,

I'm afraid contacting all squadron leads asking for their ships' sensor logs is a little past what I can manage at the moment. However, I'll do all I can to help. Reviewing the logs recovered from DS13 might be of assistance.

In regards to your want to scan and pursue those lost of the Ockham and get some resolution - I like that. There's a lot of people we need closure on, and any amount of that we can confirm would be great, given the Azedi's history. It would be very doable to secure you a shuttle or likely even a runabout, if that would do and if Mandra approves.

Currently, we are reorganizing the roster to move officers to both of our vessels. If data can be located that might give us a more firm location, we should have Asimov and Atlantis worked out by that point. Asimov's senors would be much more suited but I can't commit to anything at this moment while we're in transition.

I'll secure you a small vessel if you're confident. Commander Mandra, if you'd like to go with as well, please remember that we'll be clearing debris and conducting repairs very soon - DS13 is a very unsafe environment, so any actual recovery beyond an easily locatable item you can return via transporter would be better to hold off on.

Keep me informed.

>>attached: DS13_sensordatalog

//SIGNED//
Captain Tau Thiessen
Commanding Officer, Deep Space Thirteen
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94906.3

TO LCDR Seral Val S'Nat; CAPT Thiessen, Tau
CC LCDR Verlin, Keri; LCDR Hanson, Rose
FROM CMDR Mandra, Alina
4OB3P0J.png

I am certainly fine with doing that and joining. We should indeed try, Seral, to conduct this sooner so as to not get in the way of reconstruction efforts. I think I can use some tricks to locate some items I left on station remotely to transport that might help us. Ideally we shouldn't need to exit the craft, nor will I expect to do so.

//SIGNED//
Commander Alina Mandra
Chief of Science, 38th Fleet at K-7
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 2 - Confidential

TO CAPT Thiessen
CC CMDR Hanson, CMDR Mandra
SUBJ Re: The Missing and the Dead

Captain,

Thank you for considering my request. If you would put it on a wishlist of requests for the fleet, any who are willing to provide data, I am certain the simulation will be of value. Even if it is not completed for months. Even a few points of view might improve the resolution. I will begin with the DS13 data. On that point, the Ockham resources are unavailable. If there is a lab or a ship with a lab that would be available and can spare the computing time, I would begin work as soon as possible.

A runabout would be of extreme value. Of course, the Asimov would be a preference as their sensors are built for things like this. The increased hold size would also be ideal for recovery operations. However, for my initial efforts, to give peace to a friend and Starfleet officer, a runabout would be ideal. I am very confident of my own ability in this matter, but welcome Commander Mandra if you can spare her for the time. At standard warp speeds of a Danube class, the trip should be a little more than a week each way, and several days on site. I would not wish to deprive you of your Chief Science Officer for that long without full approval.

//SIGNED//
Seral Val S'Nat, LCDR
2 Likes