To: Chief Engineer Kermit. | subj.: Possible solution to Azedi weapons

BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 3 - Restricted

TO LCDR Kermit
CC
FROM LT McLean
SUBJ Possible solution to Azedi weapons
Chief Engineer Kermit,
I believe I may have found a method of defending against the Azedi’s Verteron beam weapons. As you know, their weapons have proven to be more than a match for our standard shield systems, as such I’ve been experimenting with an active shielding system, which instead of creating a passive field like most generators, actively nullifies the beam. Ive run several simulations in the Holodeck, testing the system against a sample taken during the Azedi attack on the U.S.S. Dunkirk two weeks ago, and the results have been promising. In my last tests the shield managed to stabilize against the beam for a few seconds before fluctuations in the waveform caused a cascading feedback loop. I believe if we create a chroniton sensor circuit to read incoming energy readings from a second or two in the future we may be able to create a viable system. I’d like to submit a formal request for any data the fleet has on chroniton circuitry, as well as department resources to complete a working prototype once we manage a successful test in the holodeck. I have attached the wiring diagrams and software adjustments that I have been using in the Holodeck in order to convert a standard heavy cruisers shields and deflector disks to use this system
//SIGNED//
LIEUTENANT Duncan McLean
Engineer / Deep Space 13
//ATTACHMENT// BULWARKsys_wiring.log
//ATTACHMENT// BULWARKsys_software.log
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LT McLean
CC --
FROM LCDR E. Kermit
SUBJ RE: Possible solution to Azedi weapons

Lieutenant McLean,

First things first, hello! I don't believe that we have been formally introduced yet, which means I don't believe I have had the chance to give you a formal welcome to our team. If you would like to swing by my office some time for a less formal introduction I would be happy to meet you face to face.

As for your proposal, I think the concept bears investigating. I do have a few concerns that I hope you can address though, either at this moment or in further testing. I'm especially concerned about the chroniton circuitry you mentioned; exotic technology like that is going to need to be thoroughly tested in the holodeck before we can think about any practical tests. Beyond that though is the matter of the cascading feedback loop you mentioned.

For now I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with our current countermeasures system, Project Teleraptor, and send me a few of your simulations to review. But do bear in mind that I'm not giving you permission to neglect your assigned duties, we are a bit short handed at the moment.

Good initiative though!

//SIGNED//
LCDR Elizabeth Kermit
Chief Engineer, Deep Space 13

//ATTACHMENT//
ProjectTeleraptor.log
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LCDR Kermit
CC
FROM LT McLean
SUBJ RE: RE: Possible solution to Azedi weapons
Chief Engineer Kermit
I have familiarized myself with Project Teleraptor. I will admit that I have not as such “seen” the Azedi, so I assumed that their weapons were a form of turret, if they are opening localized wormholes to fire those beams, that is quite interesting.

I understand the dangers of using exotic technologies, and would be more than happy to talk with you in person on how to proceed safely. I will swing by your office as soon as duty permits.

The problem with the cascading feedback loop and the chroniton circuit are one and the same. As I’m sure you are aware by looking at the specifications I sent you. The system works via harmonic interference, by creating a waveform that is exactly opposite that of the beam, it nullifies the energy. This relies on the tendency of particles moving at, or in this case above, the speed of light to behave as waves as well as particles. Unfortunately if the beams waveform and your projected waveform get out of sync, you could amplify it instead of nullify it. Using the standard sensors on a heavy cruiser, the faster than light nature of the Verteron beams mean that the beams are hitting before the sensors register they’ve fired, so your sensors have a delay that makes syncing with the wave form difficult. I compensated for that by putting in an artificial delay into the shield projector, in order to sync up with the beam a next period, and that worked for a time, but the beam sample has fluctuations in frequency that the active shield then compensated for after they happened, causing amplification in the resultant wave, which it then compensated late, causing another amplification, so on and so forth. I believe that with chroniton circuitry well be able to make those adjustments in real time, thus removing the cascading feedback problem.

I have attached the log of my most recent simulation, and I look forward to discussing with you in person
//SIGNED//
LIEUTENANT Duncan McLean
ENGINEER / Deep Space 13
//ATTACHMENT// simulation.log
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95188.9
Security Level 3: Restricted
TO CMDR Zarath, LCDR Kermit, LT McLean
CC VADM Amiri, RDML Konieczko, CMDR Kermit
FROM CAPT Caspius
SUBJ. Project Teleraptor Mk II
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant Commander Kermit and Lieutenant McLean,

Whilst you may be familiar with Project Teleraptor as a system originally intended to serve as a countermeasure to Azedi wormhole-generating capabilities, it has been deployed, in fact, as a proven and successful weapons platform capable of incapacitating Azedi vessels by causing an implosive reaction in their drive systems. During the battle at Deep Space 13, Project Teleraptor was deployed against several of the Azedi vessels who were engaged in the station system, with highly successful results.

However, during my captivity, the Azedi made it clear that they are aware of Project Teleraptor, and that they were at the time engaged in developing a means to counter its effects. Consequently, we should not continue to assume that Project Teleraptor will be as successful in a future engagement if it is not continually developed.

Consequently, I have directed Commander Zarath, our Chief Science Officer, to collect sensor logs from the battle, analyse them, and begin research and modelling of ways to improve Project Teleraptor into a Mk. II version specifically designed to evade likely defence mechanisms which the Azedi may be developing based upon their prior experiences with it. As this is a priority matter, given the tenuous nature of our relationship with the Azedi, significant resources are being devoted to this task. You are therefore to assist CMDR Zarath with whatever information or theoretical approaches you have. After a successful proposal passes data modelling, you are further instructed to develop a prototype for field tests. If successful, scaling and distribution to the fleet will be recommended to Fleet Command.

I expect updates as major research and development milestones are reached. Notify me if you require further resources pertinent to this directive, which should be treated as high priority.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
Starbase Commander, Deep Space 13
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO CAPT Caspius, CMDR Zarath, LCDR Kermit
FROM LT McLean
SUBJ RE: RE: Project Teleraptor Mk II
Captain Caspius,

Understood sir, I will assist in anyway possible with project Teleraptor. I would appreciate some clarification if possible, in order to perform my duties more effectively. From my understanding Teleraptor is an offensive system, while my current approaches that I have been working on are mostly defensive in nature. Do you wish me to take my Bulwark project and bring it under Teleraptor? If so, do I cede ownership of that project to CMDR Zarath, and to what degree do I answer to CMDR Zarath? If not, are you ordering me to discontinue research on the Bulwark system?

I have scheduled the Holodeck to run a full simulation on a Bulwark refit that is doable using only the standard issue systems on board any federation vessel. If I am not being ordered to discontinue work on the Bulwark system, I would like to request use of one of the stations science labs to run simulations and optimization programs related to a chroniton system that will allow me to take the Bulwark concept to what I believe is it’s logical conclusion, and hopefully allow it to react to Azedi weapons instantaneously. CMDR William Levesley has offered assistance in this area, and I am confident that we can have a working model in the near future. The chroniton system is a relatively innocuous one, as these things go.

We could meet in person to discuss this, if you wish, sir.
//SIGNED//
LIEUTENANT Duncan McLean
ENGINEER / Deep Space 13
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95188.9
Security Level 3: Restricted
TO CAPT Caspius, CMDR Zarath, LT McLean
FROM LCDR Kermit
SUBJ. Re: Project Teleraptor Mk II
LtVEykZ.png

Captain,

I am glad to hear that the current iteration of Project Teleraptor has been so successful in the field thusfar, but if the Azedi do mean to counter our current systems then we will begin pursuing new means of defense. I will be sure to make all information related to Project Teleraptor’s development and current operating specifications available to Commander Zarath. Thus far our work has been based heavily upon Dr. Lenara Kahn's extensive studies detailing wormhole phenomena, especially her work with the Bajoran wormhole during the Dominion War. I will attach her documentation on the phase-conjugate graviton beam used in Project Teleraptor to this missive for Commander Zarath's convenience.

As Lieutenant McLean mentioned in his reply we have begun preliminary work on a new defensive system that may allow us a measure of protection against Azedi verteron weaponry. His initial proposal is somewhat ambitious but I believe it shows promise. And certainly the Azedi might be a bit less threatening if we could take some of the sting out of their weaponry.

To that end the Lieutenant has asked to assemble a team to examine our salvaged Azedi dreadnaught in the hopes of gaining a deeper understanding of their technology. In particular he has asked for engineers familiar with Romulan technology, and I am sure our friends in the Republic would be comfortable lending us a volunteer or two. I trust you have no objections?

//SIGNED//
LCDR Elizabeth Kermit
Chief Engineer, Deep Space 13

//ATTACHMENT//
PCGB - Dr. L Kahn.log
4 Likes