TO: CMDR Mandra SUBJ: Coding Assistance

To: CMDR Mandra, A @Master_Dex
CC: LCDR Flynn, M @Rogue
Subj: Coding Assistance

Greetings Commander,

I have heard from several officers that you are someone knowledgeable in viral coding. Currently I have my Chief Engineer engaged in a virus aimed at the recent issues we’ve had with Borg attacks. I have attached him to this message, with his contact information so that you two can arrange a mutual meeting time to hopefully progress this endeavour. Should any issues arise, please contact me.

Thank you for your assistance, both of you.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lunya Vel
Commanding Officer,
USS Midway NCC-90133-B

1 Like

To: CAPT Vel, Lunya (@LunyaVel)
CC: LCDR Flynn, Matthew (@Rogue)
Subj: Re: Coding Assistance

I wouldn’t say my coding has gone viral anywhere. Or is it coding of viruses? I don’t know if I’m known for that (though I have at the least researched the information theory aspects).

Sudden Borg talk… I’m working with an engineer writing code now? What’s it even do? Meeting people?! This escalated fast.

I’m a bit out of this particular loop. Is this a request for assistance?

//SIGNED//
Commander Alina Mandra
Chief of Sciences
Deep Space 13

2 Likes

To: CMDR Mandra, A @Master_Dex
Subj: RE: Coding Assistance

Yes it is a request for assistance.

I have tasked the coding of this virus to CMDR Flynn. He has been attached to my initial communication to make him aware that I wish for him to meet with you. You have been the only name that has been brought to my attention as a possible source of information or assistance of what would need to be done to make the virus that is required for a potential mission against the Borg.

Hope this clarifies.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lunya Vel
Commanding Officer
USS Midway NCC-90133-B

1 Like

Huh… ok I can look at it I guess.

The exact purpose of the program is something I hope they can elucidate further.

Quantum spin calcs probably, will need to boot up a Verenach processor… ugh… regenerative anisomorphic sequences I bet. Borg suuuuuck…

//SIGNED//
Commander Alina Mandra
Chief of Sciences
Deep Space 13

2 Likes

To: TO CMDR Mandra, Alina (@Master_Dex)
CC: CPT Vel, Lunya (@LunyaVel)

Commander,

I can either meet with you aboard the USS Midway or on DS13 at your earliest convenience as far as discussing details and method of application. My staff has already gotten some of the preliminary work done but we still have a ways to go.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander Matthew Flynn
Chief Engineer,
USS Midway NCC-90133-B

2 Likes

CC: CMDR Akaela, Tala; LCDR Flynn, Matthew (@Rogue)

I spent some time looking over the early base program and consulting with some cyber warfare contacts I have outside the fleet including a friend in the 29th MACO Cyber Defense Platoon (yeah, soldiers who are computer nerds, will wonders cease), and an anti-Borg expert in the 116th Independent Mobile Fleet. I avoided specific details of any missions as per OPSEC requirements and framed most of it in terms of a research endeavor.

I don’t want to sound negative about your plans, but when pressed on the notion of a computer virus for use against Borg tech or Borg themselves the general consensus from most of my contacts gravitated toward the concept of… “Don’t.” To be clear, they mostly meant it was not a viable method of anti-Borg combat operations typically, but can be useful for information scooping.

Interestingly, when I mentioned the concept of disabling or affecting a specific propulsion mechanism in a Borg ship, I was generally met with skepticism as transwarp network fidelity is considered to be so robust that only a fleet attack on a transwarp hub (or one Intrepid class with a bone to pick as history nerds like to recall) could hurt it. I suggested an alternate subspace portal method, and they agreed that would be strange enough to focus more on information gathering.

At this time I have three variations of a malicious code. Two of them are entirely based on information scooping and flooding a local vinculum with trash data specifically to to distract the collective enough to not stop the data transfer. They work slightly differently, I don’t want to get into the details, but I would use both and make bets on which one wins for fun. They might put a Borg ship in sleep mode, I’m not sure though. The third option is the only version that can sort of cause any offensive reaction to systems on a Borg ship… and I say sort of because… it probably won’t… at least not for long. It’s hard to tell how effective it will be without any data on this novel propulsion system and I can’t properly test it on Borg systems as that violates close to 13 different Federation research statutes and a few Starfleet regulations. Holodeck sims are too rudimentary for such a complex procedure. My best guess is it might disable the system but the Borg might adapt to it before it can do the broad system data wipe you requested.

There’s technically a 4th option I have but I’m already not putting it on the table as it involves introducing a semi-sapient (though non-sentient) Synth mainframe that can use quantum adaptation to compete with Collective countermeasures. This should be self-evident in why it’s a bad idea, as if it gets assimilated it can be turned against you. Likely it’d be a toy in their purview but you don’t offer enemies weapons. I didn’t even build that, it was was entirely theoretical.

So yeah, my broad recommendation is, set up a situation to hard load one or both of the malware programs to get good information, and maybe get lucky and disable a ship for a little bit and… I dunno, do what ya do there. Trying the third program is about 6 risks and a half, if Command is ok with it, and offers no guarantees. It might be possible to refine it with info from the other programs to improve odds, but obv that takes some time.

I’m sorry if that all sounds less that helpful.

//SIGNED//
Commander Alina Mandra
Chief of Sciences
Deep Space 13

2 Likes

To: CMDR Mandra, Alina (@Master_Dex)
CC: CPT Vel, Lunya (@LunyaVel)

Commander,

Your third option seems the most along the lines of what Captain Vel requested, but your description of it is concerning, particularly in that you imply that the chances of it working are very slim. If nothing else, I can have my staff and I refine it to a point where it’s more likely to produce a positive result based on your work. However, I’ll wait for the okay along with the Captain’s input before I proceed.

//SIGNED//
Chief Engineer
USS Midway NCC-90133-B

1 Like

To: LCDR Flynn, M @Rogue
CC: CMDR Akaela, T @Master_Dex
Subj: RE: Coding Assistance

Proceed with options one or two (whichever your staff can get into a working state), until I hear otherwise in regards to option three. Work with CMDR Akaela to pull staff from appropriate divisions to make this work. Holodeck has been restricted to your staff’s access ONLY for testing. Keep me appraised.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lunya Vel
Commanding Officer,
USS Midway NCC-90133-B

1 Like

CC: CMDR Mandra, Alina (@Master_Dex)

Captain,

I’ll make arrangements and start implementing ASAP then.

//SIGNED//
Chief Engineer,
USS Midway NCC-90133-B

1 Like