TO: DS13/Command | SUBJ: Project Teleraptor Improvements - U.S.S. Shackleton Requisition Request

zrh9bND.png
Security Level 2 - Confidential

TO: DS13/Command
SUBJ: Project Teleraptor Improvements - U.S.S. Shackleton Requisition Request
4OB3P0J.png

Sir,

I have submitted a plan to test improvements to our Teleraptor defence program, it is available here. For this plan, I have mentioned we would require the use of a Fleet vessel, as unfortunately our Starbase vessels are lacking in various means to give this test the greatest chance at success.

Looking over the Fleet roster, I believe we would require a vessel of the Advanced Research Vessel line, in particular, the U.S.S. Shackleton which to my note has an enhanced warp core system. The additional power generation and deflector control properties inerrant to a vessel of this design, in particular over that of the Excelsior or Nova classes, make the Shackleton an ideal vessel for the purpose of these tests.

I would seek to request permission to utilise the resources of the Shackleton for a limited duration once my proposal has undergone the appropriate peer review. I do not envision either the ship or her crew would be put in danger as a result of these tests.

//SIGNED//
Commander Tellara sh'Zarath
Chief Science Officer, Deep Space Thirteen
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png
TO CMDR sh'Zarath
CC VADM Amiri, RDML Konieczko, CAPT Derenzis, CMDR Kermit
FROM CAPT Caspius
SUBJ. Project Teleraptor Improvements - U.S.S. Shackleton Requisition Request
4OB3P0J.png

Commander sh'Zarath,

I have reviewed your request and have determined that the testing can likely be conducted at a distance from the station necessary to provide for its safety, and in such a way that the safety of the requested ship will be maintained. Consequently, I recommend that 38th Fleet Command APPROVE your requisition, with the provision that such an approval is consistent with the advice and consent of Captain Derenzis.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
Starbase Commander, Deep Space 13
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95342

TO CMDR sh'Zarath, T.
CC CAPT. Caspius; CAPT Derenzis, A.; CMDR. Kermit, J.
FROM RDML Konieczko, D.

SUBJ RE: Project Teleraptor Improvements - U.S.S. Shackleton Requisition Request
AKas0II.png

Commander,

Your project is currently listed as being in the planning phase. Finalize your plans with your team and prepare more than one test, then once you are prepared to move to a field testing phase I will determine with the ship's CO if we can pull the U.S.S. Shackleton from it's rotation.

In the mean time I will point out that the previous round of testing was performed by the U.S.S. Asimov and it is not favorable to improve Project Teleraptor to the point where only one of the ships in the fleet are able to safely and properly deploy the countermeasure.

//SIGNED//
Rear Admiral Dmitri Konieczko
Executive Officer
38th Fleet 'Argo'
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png
TO CMDR sh'Zarath
CC CMDR Kermit
FROM CAPT Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

Commander sh'Zarath,

I understand that your intentions were likely to proceed with testing on Shackleton where its enhanced warp core would have allowed for quick deployment, and then attempt to scale down your development for use on vessels with different power throughput deflector capabilities. However, Fleet Command seems to desire you to produce a version at scale from the start, so you will have to conceive a new development process.

Large-scale testing can likely be done using the station deflector systems, although Engineering may need to be involved for you to make the temporary modifications necessary for that portion of your process. After proof of concept, scaling can be done to implement the process aboard Atlantis, and (perhaps eventually), Axiom. Practical function on Atlantis should be the goal, as that would ensure capable deployment to approximately eighty percent of Starfleet ships deployed in fleet service here and elsewhere.

An alternative would be to begin with Atlantis' already-deployed Teleraptor abilities and then attempt to implement changes incrementally, with step-by-step testing, until the system can reach the design intentions you are currently investigating. This may require a closer engagement with Engineering personnel, but has other benefits as well, including the ability to begin field operations and experimentation immediately.

I will be leaving for Earth in two days, so please keep Commander Kermit involved regarding your progress on Teleraptor. He is aware that it is our highest priority, and that the Admiralty is expecting us swiftly to move on this project.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
1 Like
zrh9bND.png

TO: RDML Konieczko, D.; CAPT. Caspius
CC: CAPT Derenzis, A.; CMDR. Kermit, J.
SUBJ: RE: Project Teleraptor Improvements - U.S.S. Shackleton Requisition Request
4OB3P0J.png

Admiral, Captain,

I thank you for your support in regards to this experiment, however I feel I should clear a few things up.

You are correct, the project is still in the planning phase, I am expecting a full plan from one of my Astrophysicists by the end of the week. I wished to ensure that the U.S.S. Shackleton would be available as that would significantly alter the proposal we would be able to put forward. The purpose for the requisition of the Shackleton (in note to her expanded capabilities), is for the first stage of the experiment, which is to expand upon our artificial wormhole generation techniques.

Whilst Teleraptor has been deployed fleet-wide, the use cases so far have been limited. The version currently available has only been tested against a wormhole with an aperture of 2.17cm, significantly smaller than even the personal wormholes used to transport individuals from Azedi vessels. Whilst initial projections point towards this being fully scalable, (and indeed the data provided during the battle of Deep Space 13 indicates this, given the extensive damage sustained to DS13) the only way of knowing is to test against a larger wormhole.

Once we have a suitable platform for creating these larger wormholes, we can also test possible countermeasures the Azedi may be attempting to employ.

After some consideration, I would be remiss to not take this opportunity to remind all involved that so far the Azedi have only seen Teleraptor used as an offensive weapon and any countermeasures they may be preparing will be based around that. A path I reluctantly believe we should investigate further, and make the primary focus of the Teleraptor system.

The simple fact is, by the time we have the chance of disrupting a traversal wormhole, the Azedi vessel will be there in a manner of seconds. Disrupting a wormhole while it is being used for transit, with such power generation capacities within it, could cause untold devastation to subspace, not to mention the sure absolute destruction of the vessel and its crew. It is my opinion that utilising Teleraptor in an offensive capability will prove more worthwhile, as while we know this cripples the Azedi vessels, it does appear that their crew are able to escape relatively unscathed.

//SIGNED//
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png
TO CMDR sh'Zarath
CC RDML Konieczko, CAPT Derenzis, CMDR Kermit
FROM CAPT Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

Commander sh'Zarath,

It appears that I owe you an apology. When I gave you orders to anticipate and address potential countermeasures to our deployment of Project Teleraptor, I neglected to indicate that I am at this point concerned solely with ship-based countermeasures, and not with attempts the Azedi might make to shield their wormholes from collapse.

There are several reasons for this, many of which you are likely yourself now aware:
a. Because of their experiences, the Azedi primarily perceive Teleraptor as an anti-ship weapon, so they are likely to prioritise defences for their ships;
b. Unlike wormholes, ships are already equipped with technology and defensive systems, meaning it is easier to shield them than to shield a wormhole;
c. Because defending a wormhole would require a deflector bubble surrounding the entire aperture, or the creation of some form of permanent wormhole the like of which we have never encountered, defending them would be extremely difficult for the Azedi;
d. et cetera.

Reading your most recent communique, I see that your request for a large ship as a test bed was based around the intention of creating a large wormhole and then attempting to defend it, as the Azedi might do if they were intending to defend a wormhole from Project Teleraptor. For such an effort, only the most advanced ships would have any chance of success, hence your request.

If that had been my intention with the orders I gave you, I would indeed be guilty of having issued you impossible orders. It will take considerable technical advancements over several years, if not much longer, for us to be able to replicate the Azedi wormhole generation technology, let alone to defend such a large object. Your attempt to carry out such a plan was ambitious indeed, and shows immense character in the face of what must have seemed unachieveable expectations.

But, because I am only concerned with ship-based countermeasures, such a ship is not necessary for the theoretical phase (that is, hypothesising how Azedi ships might attempt to shield themselves from our deployment of Project Teleraptor). Early testing of those hypotheses will determine whether or not it is possible to deflect, diffuse, or neutralise the deflector pulse generated by Project Teleraptor, or otherwise shield Azedi vessels from its effects.

If we can develop any viable ship-based method to negate our deployment of Project Teleraptor, the next stage will be to hypothesise how to defeat those countermeasures by modifying Project Teleraptor into a Mk. II deployment, to ensure that we stay ahead of Azedi defenses in the event that we are again attacked. I have been told by an Azedi scientist that they are engaged in efforts to defeat our deployment of Project Teleraptor. Such a claim may be pure bluster, or they may fail to develop any countermeasure--but there is no way to know if they will succeed or fail. So, logic dictates that we must prepare as best we can so that we do not again face a disaster like the one visited on this station last year. At present, diplomatic efforts having failed, Project Teleraptor remains our only way to deter another Azedi attack. We must maintain that deterrant until the Azedi set aside attempts at military conquest--and, it is to be hoped, agree to engage with us on diplomatic terms in a spirit of peace.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
6 Likes
zrh9bND.png

TO: RDML Konieczko, D.; CAPT. Caspius
CC: CAPT Derenzis, A.; CMDR. Kermit, J.
SUBJ: RE: Project Teleraptor Improvements - U.S.S. Shackleton Requisition Request
4OB3P0J.png

Thank you for your clarification, Sir. With that in mind I rescind my request for a fleet vessel at this time.

I shall keep my notes on the back burner, I have a strong belief that once the Azedi situation is dealt with, this work may lead towards improvements for the Federation's communication or transport facilities.

//SIGNED//
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
TO CMDR sh'Zarath
CC CMDR Kermit
FROM CAPT Caspius
SUBJ. Project Teleraptor Improvements
4OB3P0J.png

Commander sh'Zarath,

Some preliminary speculation suggests that the Azedi may be capable of adapting vessel shielding using verteron-based technology. We have relatively little technological familiarity with how this might be done, but it is possible that verteron shielding might provide a means to diffuse, misdirect, or dissipate the pulseform generated by deployment of Project Teleraptor. In such a case, the efficacy of our deployment would be reduced or negated.

At present, we do not know:
1) Whether a verteron-based shielding countermeasure is scientifically viable or technically feasible; and,
2) If the Azedi are indeed working on this (or any) countermeasure.

Given that we are in the position of having to predict potential Azedi defences, speculation about their possible countermeasures (and adaptation to negate the same) should be pursued until we can determine that hypothesised Azedi defences against Project Teleratpor are not viable or not feasible.

Consequent to this, you are directed to prepare tests to determine whether or not verteron-enhanced shielding (both physical and energy shielding) has any effect on the efficacy of Project Teleraptor. Obviously, you will begin by theorising mock defences, running simulations; and then, if there are any promising results, you will move on to building and testing in the laboratory. If any of the builds seem to have an effect, we can scale upwards and do full scale tests using the Asimov. And, if those tests confirm that such a counter-measure would work against Project Teleraptor, we will begin adapting Project Teleraptor to compensate, rolling it out as a Mk. II upgrade across the fleet.

Should we discover that verterons have no effect whatsoever on the effiicacy of Project Teleraptor, we will once again return to the hypothetical phase to attempt to determine what means, if any, the Azedi might use to defeat our approach. When no viable and feasible potential defence can be devised, then we will consider the technology finalised for the present.

Please keep myself and Commander Kermit apprised of your hypothetical approaches, and with regard to which potential avenues of defence you are testing. This remains a high priority matter, and I wish to see your department engaged with the task at hand.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
TO LCDR Fozka
CC CMDR Kermit, CMDR sh'Zarath
FROM CAPT Caspius
SUBJ. FWD: Project Teleraptor Improvements
4OB3P0J.png

Forwarded to include LCDR Fozka, now a member of DS-13 Sciences.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
1 Like