BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 3 - Restricted

TO LCDR H'ajah
CC
FROM LTJG Serris Zital
SUBJ Anti-Wormhole Countermeasures
4OB3P0J.png

Commander H'ajah,

It's been suggested that I may be sitting on a potentially useful contribution to our attempts to defend against the Azedi's wormhole trajector technology, so I'd like to bring this to your attention. Based on the readings I gathered at the site of their recent intrusion, I believe it may be possible to disrupt their ability to tunnel through subspace with conventional warp engine technology. By strategically placing a minimum of 12 starships equipped with class-7 warp drives in a spherical deployment around our station perimeter, we would be able to deploy a static warp shell measuring approximately 5 teracochrane intensity in a radius of 1 AU. With the fields modulated to the exact frequency of the graviton matrix of their trajector apertures, it should theoretically prevent them from breaching the barrier.

Additionally, it may be possible to use certain starship designs to apply these techniques in the field. Starships that utilize variable geometry nacelle control technology, such as the Intrepid-class lineage and Chimera-class subtypes, are capable of finer field adjustments than their contemporaries. By synchronizing navigational sensor data with the nacelle control system using a modified auto-navigation subroutine, it should be possible to fixate on these apertures as they open, then channel a directed burst of warp energy equivalent in magnitude to warp 6.27 to shrink the space between the graviton particles in the spatial matrix, artificially increasing the particle density until the apertures collapse on themselves.

As ambitious as it may be, naturally, this plan does come with several drawbacks, both logistically and practically. For starters, we would need an absolute minimum of 12 starships equipped with class-7 warp drives deployed in a spherical perimeter around the station. It may be possible to pull decommissioned Excelsior and Miranda-class hulks from the fleet yards and quickly retrofit them to serve this purpose.

Second, the subspace disruptions caused by this static warp shell would require sublight communication buoys to be deployed within the perimeter to relay any faster-than-light signals. This will cause a dramatic increase in latency for real-time conferencing, reduce signal quality, and may limit our communication range.

Third, vessels traveling within this warp shell will require at least a class-9 engine to reach a power level necessary to travel at faster-than-light speeds. Anything else will be stuck at impulse. I estimate the maximum velocity achievable within the diameter of the field to be no greater than warp 2.6 at power levels normally reserved for emergency speed.

Fourth, the power requirements needed for a capable starship to emit multiple bursts of warp energy at the necessary magnitude in sequence would leave these vessels functionally defenseless unless backed up by a squadron. I don't recommend implementing this part of the plan unless we have at least four of these ships dedicated to the role of area denial as part of a larger fleet.

Finally, the intensity of the subspace disruption would make the station extremely visible on long-range scans, and may potentially attract the attention of other parties, such as the Borg.

I have attached the subspace field calculations and a sample navigational subroutine program for your review.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant J.G. Serris Zital
Propulsion Theorist / Deep Space 13
//ATTACHMENTS// static_field_geometry.cfg (2.75 GB); dynamic_field_control_subroutine.bat (545.7 MB); dynamic_field_geometry.cfg (4.88 GB)
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96238.4
Security Level 3 - Restricted

zpglS1t.png
TO LTJG Zital, Serris
CC LCDR Hanyo Irdu
FROM LCDR H’ajah
SUBJ Re: Anti-Wormhole Countermeasures
4OB3P0J.png

SON OF ENTRADES, YOUR PROPOSAL IS IMPRESSIVE. I WANT YOU TO DEVELOP IT FURTHER. TO THAT END, I AM AUTHORIZING THE FORMATION OF AN R&D TEAM TO ITERATE ON YOUR DESIGN, WHICH YOU WILL LEAD. IRDU, SON OF RHOS, WILL ASSIST YOU IN SELECTING THE MOST QUALIFIED AND FEARSOME TEAMMATES. BIND YOUR BLOOD TO THEIRS, FOR YOU WILL RIDE TOGETHER TO VICTORY OR OBLIVION.

I WANT TO SEE A VERSION OF THIS DESIGN WHICH CAN MAKE USE OF DEPLOYABLE STANDALONE EQUIPMENT, WITHOUT REQUIRING THE COMMITMENT OF A STARSHIP. STRIP THE MODULE DOWN TO ITS MINIMUM FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS: A M/AM REACTOR, WARP FIELD GENERATORS, WHATEVER ELSE IT REQUIRES, BUT NO MORE. EXPERIMENT WITH THE HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS FOR AREA DENIAL FIELDS OF DIFFERENT SCALES; IF WE ARE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A LARGER FIELD WHERE NEEDED, OR A SMALLER ONE WITH MORE MODEST RESOURCE DEMANDS, THOSE ARE OPTIONS WE WILL WANT TO PROVIDE TO COMMAND.

QAPLA', SON OF ENTRADES. LEAD YOUR MINIONS WELL.

//SIGNED//
tuq cargh qaStaHvIS ghIm h'ajah, shal puqbe'
Lt. Cmdr. H'ajah, daughter of Shal, of House Cargh in exile
Chief Engineer, Engineering Dept., Deep Space 13
7 Likes