TO: LCDR MOON | SUBJ: Preliminary Analysis/Potential Meeting?

BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate: 94035.1
Security Level 2 - Confidential

TO LCDR Moon
CC LTJG Hillboch; ENS Rawson; CMDR Everhart; CMDR Mandra; LCDR Kermit
FROM CMDR P'tok

SUBJ Preliminary Transmission Analysis/Potential Meeting?
4OB3P0J.png

Dear LCDR Moon,

I am messaging in regard to CMDR Everhart's recent project assignment to which we were both privy. Upon reviewing your personnel file, I must say that it is an honor to work with you on this project. Your work is formidable.

Although it is the weekend and the annual Intergalactic Bat'leth Tournament is being broadcast today, my curiosity got the better of me and I performed a preliminary spectral analysis on the unauthorized transmission. I have attached the resulting spectrogram to this communication.

What I find interesting is the apparent parabolic distortion that is seen not once, but twice in the frequency axis of the spectrogram. Perhaps our team's algorithm could account for that disturbance? Additionally, it is clear that there are no frequencies recorded above 7kHz, but I cannot determine why.

Regardless of your opinion about this preliminary work, I would be happy to meet you at your discretion in order to discuss the project.

Please advise.

//SIGNED//
CMDR P'tok
Senior Research, Deep Space 13

//ATTACHMENT//
-unauthorized_transmission_spectrogram.img64

OOC: The spectrogram is actually from Kermit's mp3 file. Kudos to him for including the audio file!
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate: 94037.5

TO CMDR P'tok
CC LTJG Hillboch; ENS Rawson; CMDR Everhart; CMDR Mandra; LCDR Kermit
FROM LCDR Moon

SUBJ Preliminary Transmission Analysis/Potential Meeting?
4OB3P0J.png

Commander P'tok -

Ah yes, on my proverbial scanners, this topic was, while I was at our new outpost in the Yuhop sytem. As I was otherwise focused on a calibration review of their comm tower UT software, limited, I'm afraid, my attention was on this issue.

An interesting topic, though, I think this is, and look forward to collaborating with you and our other talented experts on this equally fascinating and disturbing transmission.

Now that returned, I have, from the Yuhop system, more of my attention I can devote to building on the analysis done already. And, as luck would have it, under a creative phase of the planet fall of my home moon, we are, at the moment...

....imagine that!

So, best it would be take advantage of this fortuitous stellar alignment and get crrrracking on this project, see?!

Appreciate your initiative, I do, conducting the spectral analysis of the transmission. That is what my people call letting the Qocosel catch the proverbial xekeshai, eh? Well done, I say!

Rrrright, onto your analysis, I think...

Now, a common conclusion it is, to link the parabolic distortion that was measured, with the algorithm run, but a false lead that is, I'm afraid. Not to say it wasn't a valid observation, because, astute, it certainly was. Rather, more likely I believe the process used to hide the signal by conducting it through a series of retrograde circuit loops is typically the cause of that distortion in covert efforts like the one we are investigating.

What did catch my attention, pleased I am to say, was your observation that no frequencies were recorded above 7 kHz, for that is unusual. I would expect to find spikes above that range at least several times.

Interesting, it would be, to conduct a study of the subspace circuit panels from where the signal saturated the array utilizing a Linear time-invariant differential methodology to determine dead spaces in the transmission, and comparing those results to your analysis to reconstruct those post 7 kHz gaps that, by all accounts, one would expect to find.

Perhaps those of us tasked with the investigation of this issue who are better acquainted with these, more hardware oriented, disciplines of study could conduct these analyses, while I focus my efforts on the translation of the content of the signal?

Do let me know your thoughts on the matter, and so glad to have your expertise in this investigation.

Warm regards -

Lt. Cmdr. Banyan Moon
Linguist - Deep Space-13

P.S. Who won the Bat'leth tournament?! Don't follow it myself, but one of the technicians at the Outpost was keen on a contestant named K'tal, if I remember correctly. Supposedly heavily favoured, she was. Peaked my curiosity, he did, so interested in learning more, I would be.
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate: 94039.4

TO LCDR Moon
CC
FROM CMDR P'tok

SUBJ RE: Preliminary Transmission Analysis/Potential Meeting?
4OB3P0J.png

Dear LCDR Moon,

I have received your message and I send you my thanks for your in-depth reply to my preliminary analysis. You have approached this complex problem with fortitude of mind. Qapla'!

Our superiors have informed me that I will be taking lead on this project due to matters outside of your control. I wish you success in your upcoming battles with whatever you are destined to face, Lt. Commander. Be on watch for a communication to all of the members assigned to this projects as I will make more detailed work assignments in it. However, based upon your suggestion, you can expect to be assigned specifically to the translation of the audio file once it is deemed to be more accurate.

As for the Bat'leth tournament, K'tal did, indeed, win the female division. She fought valiantly and with honor. Her technique was flawless, but her opponent was defeated primarily because she did not follow the Second Precept of the qeS’a’: Strike Quickly or Strike Not. Nevertheless, it has inspired me to design my own bat'leth training program on the holodeck...I WILL make the station's simulation design protocols succumb to me, one day!

//SIGNED//
CMDR P'tok
Senior Researcher, Deep Space 13
5 Likes