Viceroy Sorus’dru’Vrin | To: Parin Crown Prince

To: Crown Prince Sovok’dru’Meladrin

Subj: Viceroy Sorus’dru’Vrin

Your Royal Highness,

I am Ambassador Neema Perim, representing the United Federation of Planets in this sector block. I apologize that present circumstances are the first opportunity I have had to correspond with you personally, but I trust that Mr. Bozgid and the staff of the Starfleet 38th Fleet have seen to all of your needs during your stay with us.

Unfortunately, I must inform you that one of your citizens, identified as Viceroy Sorus’dru’Vrin, was involved in an altercation here on Deep Space 13 which resulted in the death of a Federation citizen. The Viceroy was taken into custody by Starfleet Security and is being held accused of murder.

In accordance with the spirit of the Treaty of the Tomb and the Federation’s own legal principles, the Viceroy is entitled to representation prior to the commencement of any legal proceedings. As such, you have my assurance that there will be no prosecution until that requirement has been fulfilled.

Given the seriousness of the charge, I think it may be best for us to discuss the matter in person. I will make myself available at your convenience.

//SIGNED//
Neema Perim
Federation Ambassador

3 Likes

Subj: Treaty Negotiations

Your Royal Highness,

I’m pleased to inform you that my schedule for this week has freed up and I’m now available to begin negotiations for a new Federation-Parin treaty, as you suggested. In addition to whatever proposals you may have, I have a number of topics for discussion that could further relations between our peoples.

My aides have been instructed to expect your staff to arrange scheduling.

I look forward to speaking with you again soon.

//SIGNED//
Neema Perim
Federation Ambassador

2 Likes

To: AMB Perim (@kermit)
Subj: Re: Treaty Negotiations

As dictated by His Grace and transcribed by VCPT Kri’dru’Thrun.

Salutations Ambassador,

I would be beyond delighted to participate in the facilitation of such interlocutory endeavors! As circumstances will it, I am predisposed to the current attached treaty of inter-realm commerce and cooperation between our two distinct peoples. Should details rendered through the finer print be in need of material alteration, I would be inclined towards conferencing until we find our variants in total reflection of one-another.

On a completely unrelated note of no correlation whatsoever, the Ministry of the Exterior has charged me with the duty of requesting that a certain member of our nobility, Viceroy Sorus’dru’Virin, be repatriated to the Kingdom of Parin to stand trial - or to permit the Court of Honor to host its trial aboard our delightful little venue here on Deep Space 13.

Though I must express regret at the poor timing of the Ministry’s request in the midst of such an important trade negotiation. It is a sorry state of affairs when I must weigh the hard truths of the political calculus and realize that a treaty between our peoples is far more important than the life of any one individual, even a nobleman - should the need arise during further negotiations.

//SIGNED//
Prince Sovok’dru’Meladrin
Crown Prince and Ambassador
Kingdom of Parin

//ATTACHMENT// treaty8.pdf2

OOC I’m trying to balance subtlety with subtext :green_heart: The treaty itself is primarily an import/export treaty. Parin seeks to export its fine dining as a service, and seeks to avail itself of the Federation’s refined construction materials (like synthetic substances and alloys). Furthermore, there is a provision to allow Parin’s medical students to attend Federation med schools. On the last page is a non-binding suggestion a joint-survey regarding a potential Parin colonization venture.

2 Likes

Subj: RE: Treaty Negotiations

Your Royal Highness,

I’m sorry to inform you that Viceroy Sorus’dru’Virin has been charged with the murder of a Federation citizen. We take this matter very seriously, but as I’m sure you understand, we must be certain that we are able to provide justice and closure to the victim’s family. The Federation’s preference is obviously to hold a trial in a Federation court. Before any repatriation could be considered, I would require detailed information on Parin’s justice system. If you can provide that information to me, we may be able to come to an arrangement.

This brings me to the topic of the upcoming treaty. With the recent incident in mind, and considering that an import/export arrangement would result in an increase in traffic and travel between our two nations, I would like to propose the establishment of formal extradition procedures – pending a review of our respective judicial systems in order to ensure equitable treatment of our respective citizens.

As to the remainder of the proposed treaty, I have included a number of revisions for your consideration. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

//SIGNED//
Neema Perim
Federation Ambassador

//ATTACHMENT// treaty8-r1.pdf2

OOC Ah, delicious scheming. Perim’s offered revisions are mostly language changes, but also include alterations to the material amounts and a cap on the number of students attending Federation medical schools each semester. She’s also included the start of an extradition provision, with a bunch of blanks left pending comparison of Federation and Parin courts.

1 Like

To the ambassador of the Federation, Neema Perim,

That is a most grievous and unfortunate situation indeed. With regards to the repatriation process itself, I would illuminate that the fellow in controversy would find himself before the Kingdom’s Court of Honor. It is a rather somber gathering with absolutely no regard for modern decor in its aesthetics, but its functionality cannot be denied. It has no particular venue and is held ad hoc in any setting or locale that requires it.

Evidence is presented until sufficient plausibility is established, followed by a duel in the eyes of the Ancients until one party yields. Should the Viceroy find himself victorious, which I would find to be an incredulous outcome, he departs without further adjudication. Should he lose, his life and status are entirely within my hands, along with the continued existence of his noble house and dynasty should I deem it unworthy of continuation and debase them to the status of lowborn. Naturally, I have never lost a petition I have brought forth to the Court.

There is also a lower court that deals in law, but I have not had any experience with regards to its particulars nor its place in such a situation, and they have no power over the nobility.

Naturally of course, it is within my power to offer discretion as to what process best suits the political needs of our two realms, including some tacit influence as to the outcome of the proceedings should repatriation be granted. I can guarantee that the Viceroy shall be dealt with in a fashion devoid of white gloves.

I only hope that the matter does not spill over into treaty negotiations. Oh, it would be so dreadful to think that such factors affect diplomacy. On the matter of setting rules for future extradition, I can only approve of such a motion in principle. We could arrange a committee to talk out the particulars and then stamp them once they are amicable and fair.

Having disambiguated the revisions to the treaty, I sense we are approaching an amicable arrangement and I am positively delighted at the prospect.

//SIGNED//
Kingdom of Parin

//ATTACHMENT// treaty8-r2.pdf2

OOC The prince’s version of the treaty now has Perim’s revisions, though he has included the same legal protections for the students that the Tomb Treaty has for scientists. The extradition provision remains empty.

3 Likes

Your Royal Highness,

I am likewise pleased that we are approaching an arrangement that is beneficial to all involved. The latest version is acceptable to the Federation, provided we can come to terms regarding the extradition provision.

On that subject, I’m afraid I must call to attention a conflict. Ritual combat and duels such as what takes place in Parin’s Court of Honor are no stranger to the members of the Federation. However, their use has been outlawed in criminal proceedings. I don’t believe it would be appropriate for a crime committed in Federation space to be prosecuted by a court that functions so vastly differently than our own. I’m quite certain that your Kingdom would feel the same were the situations reversed.

With that in mind, I’ve drafted an extradition provision that I believe will prove to be equitable for both our nations. The Viceroy’s case would serve as a prototype and an example of why such a treaty is necessary. In short, the Federation is willing to turn him over to Parin authorities on the condition that his trial and potential sentencing are conducted by the Court of Law.

I understand that this would be setting a new precedent for the applicability of your laws to the nobility, but the applicability of Federation laws to all persons, nobility or otherwise, who enter our jurisdiction cannot be ignored. Certainly not willfully, as appears to have been the case with this particular Viceroy.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter.

//SIGNED//
Neema Perim
Federation Ambassador

//ATTACHMENT// treaty8-r3.pdf2

OOC Perim’s proposed extradition provision works like this:

1. For acts which are crimes in BOTH states, accused are extradited on request back to their home state to face charges, if the home state is willing to prosecute (this refers specifically to Parin’s Court of Law and the Federation judicial system). The state where the crime was committed is permitted to send representatives to present evidence and observe the trial.

2. Both states agree to notify the other of any pending charges against their respective citizens and provide an opportunity for an extradition request to be made.

3. Both states agree that if an extradition request is NOT made, the other state is permitted to send a legal representative to assist with the defense of their citizen in the other state’s court (This expands the protection for scientists to include everyone).

4. For acts that are crimes only in one state but not the other, only the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are committed apply (Doing something that’s illegal in Parin while in Federation space can’t be used to extradite you back to Parin, and vice versa).

2 Likes

To the ambassador of the Federation, Neema Perim,

I fully understand your position. It is entirely unfortunate that the Federation’s justice system is hamstrung by bureaucracy and procedure, but we work with the hand that we are dealt. For the purposes of ensuring successful and clear diplomatic and statecraft, I shall acquiesce to the unique situation we find ourselves in. I have ensured that the Palace shall not be a complication in seeing to it that the viceroy is properly tried and dealt away with. However, this unique exception I grant may not be included in the treaty. Even if I desired to do so, the Palace would reject it immediately and we would be exactly where we started.

The treaty is sufficient per se (minus the included revisions) and I have no qualms with finalization. I do hope that future encounters will not be so burdensome with endless paperwork.

//SIGNED//
Kingdom of Parin

//ATTACHMENT// treaty8-r4.pdf2

OOC
Very sorry for the long delay. Life’s been super hectic, but now things are stable again!
All of Perim’s provisions save one are repeated identically. Though there is now a new provision that has enumerated crimes that an extradition request cannot be made for: espionage, terrorism, assassination of public officials, and treason. Furthermore, the section defining the Parin judicial process as the ‘court of law’ has been removed, rendering it ambiguous.

1 Like

Your Royal Highness,

Despite the arduous paperwork we endured along the way, I’m pleased to report that the most recent treaty draft has been deemed acceptable by my government and I am now empowered to see it enacted. I will direct my staff to to coordinate with yours to arrange a suitable ceremony for the signing.

//SIGNED//
Neema Perim
Federation Ambassador

3 Likes