Zoo Enrichment

Hey everyone!

I was doing some work at home today, when I thought about how brilliant and creative my fleetmates are, and why am I not picking their brains for some great ideas!

Enrichment in a zoo sense is simple. These animals live in the same spaces day-to-day, and have their food provided for them, don't compete, and don't have predators. So, that's pretty boring, right? Part of my job is to make sure they have lots of entertainment. Depending on the species, that could be foraging for food, solving puzzles, ripping into things, sniffing stuff, feeling textures, etc. Anything new and different for them to check out and enjoy that doesn't necessarily have to involve their food (but can!) is enrichment.

I wanted to see if any of you would be interested in coming up with new and creative ways to entertain the animals. I know that I, and some of my coworkers, get stuck in ruts of doing the same enrichment over and over, which defeats the purpose of enrichment in the first place! The only restrictions I have is that if it is left in their enclosures for a long period of time where the public can see it, it has to appear natural. Temporary enrichment can be 'unnatural' looking. I may not be able to use every idea, because of safety concerns or cost, but I'm certainly open-minded. Keep in mind, my zoo doesn't have exotics, I only work with species native in North America. If my boss approves your ideas and we use them, I promise to update you with pictures of the animals enjoying your picks!

Some things we already do:

• Brown paper bags with food and hay inside for them to rip up and forage food out of.
  • The vultures get wiffle balls with meat stuffed inside it they have to peck out.
  • The coyotes get gigantic rubber balls to play with that have scent on them.
  • The otters get all sort of toys, from teething rings, to frisbees, to buoys.
  • The beaver gets logs to build dams with.
  • Scattering food all over the exhibit so they have to find it!
  • Spraying scent in the exhibit so they have to sniff it!
  • The bobcat gets giant boxes to play in with scent and catnip.
  • Ice treat! Favorite food gets put in water and frozen.
  • Foxes get kong toys and stuffless animals.
5 Likes
Oooh I volunteered at a bird sanctuary and spent tons of time with the vultures so maybe I can help there at least. The wiffle balls are great since those guys love to pull and push and move things around. We hung our 'treat balls' up so they could yank them around and manipulate them to help get them the treats, but also had what was basically just a vulture ball pit which was a shallow tub with some nice bright ball pit balls and bits of meat in it. They liked to push and knock the balls away to 'dig out' the snacks.

Also if you want a nice natural look, pumpkins make natural food balls. Get a pumpkin, hollow it out, put their favorite treats in it and then put the lid back on, they tear through it and it supposedly feels more like proper scavenging. Plus you can do 'vulture pumpkin carving' for Halloween stuff and that's super cute.
1 Like
I like those ideas! I'll see what I can talk my boss into. Do you happen to know if they had hide boxes for the vultures, and if so,what they looked like? I actually have to build on-exhibit shelters for them and am designing them now.
Aaah I'm sorry I don't remember that well, it's been a good bit. I'm pretty sure we did and it was just kinda one of those typical round hut kinda ones for them. Not 100% though, sorry!