AAR: Home to Roost

Stardate:
Filed By:
CMDR Na'Toth
Clearance:

After Action Report

LOCATIONUch’Mhagk System, aboard U.S.S. Atlantis

MISSION Distress signal received from the Uch’Mhagk system on the border of Klingon, Federation space indicated and attack by outside forces. Ordered to to investigate.

OUTCOME Klingon forces under the flag of House Mar’Voga were under heavy attack by unknown Romulan vessels. Klingon forces destroyed and the world now currently under Romulan blockade, possibly pending invasion and annexation.

KEY PERSONNEL
-Commander Na’Toth Salene
-Lieutenant Commander H’ajah, Daughter of Shal
-Lieutenant Victor Castillo
-Lieutenant S’Slaask
-Captain Gabrellia Valencia

NARRATIVE A Lieutenant Freeman called for an emergency assemblage of on duty officers for an immediate briefing from Starfleet Command. Several of us promptly responded. During the briefing, we were informed a distress call was received from the klingon border world of the Uch’Mhagk system. The message itself was garbled but strongly indicated and outside force interfering with klingon politics, prompting starfleet to send a ship to investigate. As senior ranking officer, I took command of the mission. Lieutenant Commander H’ajah recommended that we take the U.S.S. Atlantis since she is more capable to defend herself and respond to medical distress than the Ajilon, and I concurred. However, I also had the Ajilon shadow the Altantis to make use of his significant sensor suit.

Lieutenant Commander H’ajah took over as the operations and engineering officer, Lieutenant Castillo took over as science and medical which including coordinating with the Ajilon’s sensors, Lieutenant S’Slaask took over as ship’s medical officer and prepped for possible medical assistance on a large scale, and captain Valencia assisted with tactical and was on stand by to respond with an away team.

We went to warp aboard the Atlantis and arrived on the edge of the system. I ordered yellow alert and had the ship come in at a cautious speed while we scanned the system. We immediately noticed a significant debris field in around around the system, majority of which were Klingon vessels. We also noticed the distress signal was halted. Upon scanning, we detected several vessels where still under some sort of power, and all in various states of damage. A bird of prey made itself know by firing torpedoes, shots were wide and in the wrong direction and I assumed they were shooting at possible cloaked vessels. I ordered Lieutenant Castillo to refine the sensors to search for cloaked vessels while Captain Valencia prepared an away team which would consist of engineering and medical teams. I opened a channel with the Bird of Prey. At first they confused us with an enemy until a visual was established. The captain soon recognized us as Starfleet and introduced herself as Chu’ula of House Mar’Voga.

Chu’ula explained that the world was attacked by a force of House D’ewos ships, which were quickly swept away and driven to a route by house Mar’Voga. The Mar’Voga forced were promptly ambushed by Romulan forced and scattered.

I immediately ordered Lieutenant Castillo to refine his sensors to search for Romulan signatures and cloaking fields and had Lieutenant Commnader H’ajah begin assessing the damaged of Chu’ula’s vessel. Before I could ascertain the status of the colony Castillo reported several Romulan vessels active and attacking the orbital defenses. I ordered red alert and weapons to ready and moved us in. Our initial hail was declined by the Romulans. As we closed, I ordered the team to attempt to identify the Romulans, whether they were Romulan Republic or Star Empire. I also ordered to determine whether the colony was civilian or military in nature.

As we closed, I made my initial intentions to the crew as to intervene and attempt to drive away the Romulans under the justification of responding to a distress call from an ally. Lieutenant Catillo and Lieutenant Commander H’ajah agreed and H’ajah also stated the the Romulan were probably attempting to retake the colony. Captain Valencia disagreed, stating that I was incorrect in stating that the Klingons are allies due to the current political situation, in which she is correct, and if we aid the Klingons in military action we are taking part in Klingon affairs. Lieutenant Commander H’ajah stated that perhaps we move into the line of fire to attempt to dissuade the Romulans.

I was not quick to a decision and ordered us to maintain course and open a channel to the Romulans. I stated that the Romulans are interfering with Klingon internal affairs and that they should identify themselves and withdraw. They replied audio only, simply stating this was not of Starfleet’s affair. Conflicted, and admittedly looking for any excuse to intervene, I ordered that their warp signature be investigated and compared to Starfleet’s databse, however we were unable to determine whether they were Republic or Star Empire. I hailed Chu’ula once more and asked whether the colony was military or civilian, she stated it was a fortress.

I decided to withdraw to the edge of the system and have all available sensors on the Atlantis and Ajilon to record the entire event. We also had any and all channels open to receive any civilian distress or system wide emergency broadcasts systems, nothing was ever received though it was possible any transmissions could have been blocked by the Romulans. House Mar’voga forced where completely destroyed and four Romulan vessels remained in orbit. I ordered both ships to warp of out system and return to starbase.

There was some disagreement with my decision and I must state in this report that I chose this way because I wanted to avoid forcing the Federation’s hand into a still largly unknown situations, despite the clear Romulan aggression. The repercussions of Starfleet involvement could be far reaching.

Attached to this report is the full sensor records from both the Atlantis and Ajilon.

RECOMMENDATION I recommend that Command inquire the Romulan Republic about the Romulan involvement. It is clear that house D’ewos is enlisted Romulan aid, or that the Romulan force was incredibly opportunistic. I also recommend that a ship remains near the area in the event that Colony does send out a distress call asking for medical aid, or to at least monitor the area for any further Romulan involvement.

RECOGNITION I commend Lieutenant Castillo in remaining calm despite working at a Station he does not have a lot of experience in, provide much needed information of the rapidly developing situation. Lieutenant Commander H’ajah and Captain Valencia were also helpfull in assessing the situation and in provide useful input that assisted in my decision making.

OOC This was certainly a touch situation that I was not expecting. Great overall. Na’Toth did also subtly send a message with the copy of the sensor recordings to house Mar’voga while the bridge crew… debated. I do also sincerely apologize if this AAR seems dull, not use to writing them yet.

8 Likes
Stardate:
Filed By:
LCDR H'ajah
Clearance:

ADDENDUM I, H’AJAH, DAUGHTER OF SHAL, OF HOUSE CARGH IN EXILE – CHIEF ENGINEER OF DEEP SPACE 13, BARD OF KILUR, JAILER OF GODS – DO HEREBY AFFIRM COMMANDER SALENE’S ACCOUNT OF WHAT TRANSPIRED AT UCH’MHAGK. THE FACTS AS SHE REPRESENTS THEM ARE TRUE IN EVERY DETAIL I WITNESSED WITH MY OWN EYES. HOWEVER, I AM BOUND BY HONOR TO CONTEST SOME OF NA’TOTH’S INTERPRETATIONS, SPECIFICALLY THE TERMS OF OUR MISSION DIRECTIVES AND THE COMMAND DECISIONS NA’TOTH MADE IN THE MIDST OF BATTLE.

THE PURPOSE OF OUR MISSION WAS TO RESPOND TO A DISTRESS CALL FROM AN OUTPOST BELONGING TO AN ALLY OF THE FEDERATION, THE KLINGON EMPIRE. BECAUSE THE FEDERATION HAS DECLARED ITS NEUTRALITY IN THE MATTER OF THE CIVIL WAR UNFOLDING WITHIN THE EMPIRE, OUR ORDERS SPECIFICALLY ENJOINED US FROM ENGAGING IN COMBAT WITH ANY KLINGON FORCES. OUR PURPOSE WAS TO INVESTIGATE AND, PER STANDING ORDERS, INTERDICT ANY ATTEMPT TO INTERFERE IN THE EMPIRE’S INTERNAL POLITICS BY FOREIGN POWERS.

THE DISCOVERY OF AGGRESSION AGAINST THE EMPIRE BY ROMULAN WARSHIPS, WHETHER ALIGNED WITH HOUSE D’EWOS OR NOT, REQUIRED US TO INTERVENE. IF AN ALLY WILL NOT COME TO YOUR AID WHEN YOU ARE UNDER ATTACK BY A COMMON ENEMY, THEY ARE NO ALLY AT ALL. THE KLINGON EMPIRE WILL NOT SOON FORGET OUR COWARDICE ON THIS DAY.

COMMANDER SALENE EXPLAINED HER REASONING, BOTH ON THE BRIDGE AND IN HER REPORT, AND I BELIEVE HER CONCERNS ABOUT COMMITTING THE FEDERATION TO IRREVERSIBLE ACTION TO BE SINCERE. BUT HONOR REQUIRED US TO ACT IN THIS CIRCUMSTANCE, AND BY STANDING ASIDE WE HAVE MADE OURSELVES COMPLICIT IN THE DEATHS THAT HAVE AND WILL RESULT. OUR INACTION MAY PROVE TO BE AS CONSEQUENTIAL AS ACTION WOULD HAVE, AND WITH EVEN MORE DIRE DOWNSTREAM EFFECTS.

ALTHOUGH I JUDGE NA’TOTH’S COMMAND DECISIONS HARSHLY, AS I BELIEVE HISTORY WILL, I MUST ALSO ATTEST TO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS OUTCOME. THE ATLANTIS WAS SELECTED TO LEAD THIS MISSION AT MY RECOMMENDATION, AND AS THE RANKING DEEP SPACE 13 DEPARTMENT HEAD ASSIGNED TO THE MISSION, COMMAND OF THAT VESSEL WAS RIGHTLY MINE. IN DEFERENCE TO COMMANDER SALENE’S EXTENSIVE COMMAND EXPERIENCE, I RELINQUISHED THAT ROLE TO HER AND INSTEAD ASSUMED A POSITION AS ACTING CHIEF ENGINEER AND FIRST OFFICER ABOARD THE ATLANTIS. THEREFORE, I MUST SHARE THE DISHONOR OF THIS OUTCOME, AND ALL CONSEQUENCES WHICH MAY ARISE FROM IT.

LET IT BE KNOWN THEREFORE THAT I, H’AJAH, DAUGHTER OF SHAL, COULD HAVE STOPPED THIS FROM HAPPENING, BUT I STOOD ASIDE. THE BLOOD OF INNOCENTS IS ON MY HANDS AS MUCH AS HERS.

OOC Thanks for running this event, Davin!

7 Likes
Stardate:
Filed By:
CMDR Na'Toth Salene
Clearance:

ADDENDUM

Due to recent developments and the addendum to the fleet-wide memorandum, I am compelled to add the following addition to my recommendations: To place reprimand on my record for allowing a an external threat to slaughter what was clearly an already defeated and outgunned defense force and possibly place millions of civilians in grave mortal danger, in additional to possibly putting additional strain on the Federations reputation and current diplomatic and political relations. I acted in poor judgment and there is no excuse for it, not when innocent lives are at stake.

1 Like