Crime Investigation Regarding Parin Visitor

To: @38th.JAG
CC: LCDR Blake, 38th.Command
Subj: Crime Investigation Regarding Parin Visitor

Greetings, I have an unusual situation for you. Buckle up.

As most of you should be aware, there has been a recent fatality aboard Deep Space 13, occurring on the commercial level. Viceroy Sorus’dru’Vrin, whom is visiting us from the Kingdom of Parin of the Doza Sector, beat a station resident to death while the two were seeking icecream at Vanilla or Bust. All the details we have are attached below.

Recently I was approached by another visitor from Parin. She identified herself as a judge of Parin’s Court of Law. Trials in the Kingdom are split between this Court of Law, where all trials pertaining to commoners are undertaken, and the Court of Honour, where all trials involving nobility are held. This distinction is something the judge and her contemporaries wish to change, in their interest of promoting egalitarianism within the kingdom. More often than not, the Court of Honour offers Parin’s nobility a means to escape the laws that bind the rest of their citizenry.

Her request to me was to have the trial for Viceroy Sorus’dru’Vrin take place in Parin’s Court of Law, in the hopes that it will be a catalyst to influence change. I believe standard protocol would be to undertake the trial in a Federation court, but to my understanding it’s within our rights to grant the judge’s request. She pointed me towards a particular ambassador of theirs that would likely be interested in helping. All we need to do is ask.

After some consideration I find the cause worthy of our help. Benefits for us could come in a number of forms, serving as a firm statement that behavior such as this from our guests cannot be accepted, and an improved relationship with the ambassador in question- whom happens to be the Crown Prince. But more importantly, this is an opportunity to find more than mere justice for the death of our resident over what appears to be little more than an irritated outburst on the part of the Viceroy. A chance to turn tragedy to progress.

But in the interest of treading carefully, I’d appreciate a second opinion.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lauren Varley
Commanding Officer, Deep Space 13
38th Fleet ‘Argo’

//ATTACHMENT// 97792.2SecReport.aar
//ATTACHMENT// 97792.2SecLogs.log

4 Likes

To: CAPT Varley, L.
CC: AMB Perim, N. (( @kermit ))
Subj: RE: Crime Investigaion…

Captain Varley,

This is certainly a complicated situation and I understand the desire to hear some opinions. I don’t believe we’ve met prior to this. My name is Lieutenant Kai Eno. I’ll be the JAG officer working with you on this matter. I’m going to need some time to review the reports, logs, and any precedent for such a situation before weighing in. In the interim, I’ve CC’d our station Ambassador as I believe they’re going to be heavily involved in this. While I take a look at records, could you update me on the current status and location of the Viceroy?

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant (JG) Kai Eno
Judge Advocate,
38th Fleet

2 Likes

To: LTJG Eno, K.
CC: AMB Perim, N.
Subj: RE: Crime Investigation…

Lieutenant, thank you for checking in. Presently the Viceroy is being held in our brig.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lauren Varley
38th Fleet ‘Argo’

To: LTJG Eno
CC: CAPT Varley
Subj: RE: Crime Investigation […]

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It is fortunate that the Crown Prince is the ambassador named, as he is our first point of contact for a matter such as this in any event. I will notify him of the situation and broach the subject of jurisdiction and trial location. There may be treaty implications to consider, depending on the circumstances of the Viceroy’s visit to the station.

//SIGNED//
Neema Perim
Federation Ambassador

To: LTJG Eno @Aev
CC: CAPT Varley @Lauren

I’ve met with the Crown Prince and he is, as suspected, amenable to the judge’s cause. If we find extraditing the Viceroy on the condition that he be tried by the Court of Law to be legally reasonable by Federation standards, the Crown Prince will support it. He is hopeful that such an action will move his people towards a more fair society.

Another factor that I would like to consider first, however, is Mr. Korine’s family. Before we consider removing the Viceroy from the Federation justice system, I would like to ensure we have the victim’s family’s consent. Lauren, if you feel comfortable contacting them to explain the situation and suggest the possibility, I would appreciate it, especially if you already have a rapport. Otherwise, if you could forward their contact information to my office, that would be helpful.

//SIGNED//
Neema Perim
Federation Ambassador

2 Likes

To: Ambassador Perim
CC: LTJG Eno, K.
Subj: Re: Crime Investigation…

I’ve met with the victim’s parents, whom are living aboard Deep Space 13 with us. They’re agreeable to the plan so long as our suspect is tried justly by our standards. I believe that will be the case, after my discussion with the judge who initially contacted me.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lauren Varley
38th Fleet ‘Argo’

2 Likes

To: CAPT Varley, L.
CC: AMB Perim, N.
Subj: RE: Crime Investigaion…

Captain Varley,

Thank you for your patience. I’ve done a thorough review and am ready to recommend a course of action.

Viceroy Sorus’dru’Vrin was not operating in any official capacity and does not qualify for any form of diplomatic immunity. This places him firmly within our jurisdiction. We would be perfectly within bounds to try him under Federation law, and I would even suggest pressing criminal charges against the Viceroy under said law immediately. I understand the full process is not going to occur here, but they will add weight to the diplomatic proceedings to follow.

The next phase will require Parin’s ambassador to file a formal extradition request. I would suggest said ambassador proceed with such a request through their Court of Honour. When our diplomats receive the request, they will need to state that extradition will only be granted if the Viceroy is tried under the Court of Law. This should alleviate some pressure on the Parin Ambassador while also accomplishing your stated goals.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant (JG) Kai Eno
Judge Advocate,
38th Fleet

3 Likes

To: LTJG Eno, K., Ambassador Perim, N.
CC:

Thanks for your work, this sounds like a good plan. I’ll see that the charges are made against the Viceroy shortly. Neema, given you’ve already established a dialogue with the Crown Prince, will you be taking point on this proposal?

//SIGNED//
Captain Lauren Varley
38th Fleet ‘Argo’

3 Likes

To: CAPT Varley; LTJG Eno;

This sounds like a plan to me, and one that should be politically viable for both the Crown Prince and myself. Please proceed.

//SIGNED//
Neema Perim
Federation Ambassador

2 Likes

To: CAPT Varley @Lauren; LTJG Eno @Aev;

Captain, Lieutenant,

I’ve reached an agreement with the Crown Prince that will result in the signing of a treaty which includes formalized procedures for extradition. The Parin court to which accused criminals will be remanded has been left intentionally nonspecific. In this first case, though it technically predates the treaty, the Crown Prince has agreed to grant our request that the Viceroy be tried by the Court of Law. It is my hope that it may still serve as the catalyst for change that the judge was hoping to achieve, and that the ambiguity of the treaty will allow for future cases to be handled in a similar manner.

Please keep me in the loop as the situation progresses.

//SIGNED//
Neema Perim
Federation Ambassador

3 Likes

To: Ambassador Perim
CC: LTJG Eno

Neema, the situation has progressed.

Congratulations on hashing out the treaty with the Crown Prince, I’m sure that was no small endeavour. My judge contact in the Court of Law seems to have gotten wind of the developments, as she has approached me once again, this time with a new request. She wants to hold the trial aboard Deep Space 13.

Let me clarify that the Court of Law would still be the authoritative body overseeing the trial, they would just be using our real estate. The judge is concerned about “influences” she may face if the trial is to be held on her homeworld, such as authority on the trial changing hands to one of her superiors. She also noted any prosecutors or advocates we could supply would be of help, due to her few resources.

This wasn’t part of our initial conversation, and I did express my concern as to the peculiarity of the request. I’m sure it’ll only make the Parin nobility more furious. But as she rightly pointed out, they were going to be furious regardless, and from where I’m sitting this request is something we could easily accommodate. I also believe it falls within the guidelines of the treaty you outlined, but I’d appreciate the heads-up if that isn’t the case.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lauren Varley
38th Fleet ‘Argo’

3 Likes

To: CAPT Varley @Lauren
CC: LTJG Eno @Aev

I see no reason not to grant that request, at the discretion of yourself and JAG. Provided that any assistance we provide is at the direction of the Parin court and within the bounds of their legal system, there shouldn’t be any treaty implications.

//SIGNED//
Neema Perim
Federation Ambassador