New Chief Operations Officer, Deep Space 13

To: @DS13.Operations
CC: @DS13.Command
Subj: New Department Head

Hello,

As you may have noticed a recent change on the duty roster, I am Commander Brex and I am Deep Space Thirteen’s new Chief of Operations. I would like to lead a thanks to Commander Sakkhet who has held this role since 2418. I hope for a smooth transition and wish the Commander well on his next endeavour, whether he wishes to stay with the department or leave for pastures new.

Some of you may remember me from my time in the fleet before, serving as Chief Engineering Officer on the Concord, Indomitable and Brindisi, before finally taking my leave for a Chief of Operations role on Starbase Five-Fourteen. The challenges and goals of core Starbases are of course different from those enjoyed at Deep Space stations, so I hope you will bear with me as I settle into this new role.

I’m a big fan of meetings that could have been e-mails, being e-mails, hence this message delivered to you by our fine ODN systems, instead of crowding you all into a conference lounge to bask in my glory - though my office will always be open should you wish to bask at your leisure, or more likely to discuss anything of import. While I may be new to the unique situation of a Deep Space station, I am not new to Operations and a big focus of mine will be on increasing efficiency wherever possible.

I’m not intending to make any large changes off the bat, I wish to see how you all work at the moment, and determine from there what works and what doesn’t. It may well be that your current processes will be as efficient as they can be, but I’m sure we can squeeze the odd extra percent out of somewhere.

As we move forward, and I get to know most of you better, I will identify some main goals for us to work on, this may involve a clarification of some more specific roles within the department, but I am confident we can all leverage our talents and support each other in the department.

//SIGNED//
Commander Saun Jay Brex
Chief of Operations,
Deep Space 13

6 Likes

To: CMDR Brex

Subj: RE: New Department Head

Greetings, Commander.

I applaud your commitment to efficiency. Attached you will find my recommendations for protocol changes to support that objective.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander Suvik
Operations Officer, Deep Space 13

//ATTACHMENT// decreased-break-time-proposal
//ATTACHMENT// extraneous-LCARS-programs-removal
//ATTACHMENT// limiting-nonessential-verbal-communication
//ATTACHMENT// ops-emergency-simulation-drills
//ATTACHMENT// ops-personnel-performing-below-standards
//ATTACHMENT// ops-terminal-activity-monitoring-program
//ATTACHMENT// ops-terminal-inactivity-tracking
//ATTACHMENT// ops-terminal-subnet-restrictions
//ATTACHMENT// personal-matters-on-duty-restriction
//ATTACHMENT// preventing-abuse-of-lavatory-breaks
//ATTACHMENT// protocol-revision-caspius-contingency-153K
//ATTACHMENT// protocol-revision-docking-priority-525.1B
//ATTACHMENT// protocol-revision-senior-officer-notification
//ATTACHMENT// reallocation-of-CHENG-office-DSS-51
//ATTACHMENT// reassign-CPO-Thog-immediately
//ATTACHMENT// reclamation-of-unused-guest-quarters
//ATTACHMENT// rejecting-guest-quarters-for-fleet-officers
//ATTACHMENT// restriction-on-beverages-in-main-operations
//ATTACHMENT// revised-emergency-comm-routing
//ATTACHMENT// tardiness-discipline-escalation

11 Likes

To: CDR Brex
CC: CPT T. sh’Zarath
Subj: Reporting and requesting

Commander Brex!

First and foremost, apologies for a late congratulations on Your recent appointment. I am Ensign Renaah Felenn, member of Operations Department on Deep Space 13. My responsibilites revolved around computer resources’ allocation of lower sections of the starbase.

Over the past six months I dedicated my time to the implementation of software technologies which allow a better cross-talk between various software and hardware components of different Khitomer Alliance members. As we are moving towards further technological integration, my main project was testing software support which starbase systems can provide for the fellow crews and their ships from non-Starfleet/non-Federation members.

You will find my initial report attached further below. Final results will be reported soon. Before my assignment to Deep Space 13, I spent a year at the Allied Cooperative Starship Development Board annex on Mars.

As of this moment, I am contacting You from USS Cassini which was launched recently, under the command of Captain Tellara sh’Zarath. We are currently taking on several investigations near the Federation-Tholian border. Since this is a new ship and a new opportunity, I would like to transfer here on a long term basis. While working in engineering labs aboard a starbase has its merits and challenges, I want to see how the aforementioned technological cross-talk works out in the field. While the vessel a Titan-class starship, I believe some Alliance implementations were certainly made to it and I would like to see how they work. Furthermore, I believe the time has come to stretch my limbs out there, at the final frontier.

That is if You and the Captain agree and permit such a transfer.

I know this may come off as sudden, given a recent transfer of Your own, but it is why I hope You will understand the nature of this request.

//SIGNED//
Ensign Renaah Felenn

//ATTACHMENT// AAR: Software Upgrade in Aux Engineering Lab 1

//ATTACHMENT// Personnel file: ENS Felenn, Renaah

//ATTACHMENT// Ship profile: USS Cassini

2 Likes

To: LCDR Suvik

Subj: RE: New Department Head

Commander,

Thank you for your greeting and recommendations. I shall take these suggestions under advisement and investigate the implementation of at least some of these into our core working practices.

//SIGNED//
Commander Saun Jay Brex
Chief of Operations,
Deep Space 13

To: ENS Renaah Felenn
CC: CAPT T. sh’Zarath
Subj: RE: Reporting and requesting

Ensign,

Thank you for your message. I have reviewed the work done with regards to the computer upgrades. It looks like you’ve done some incredible work, the ACSDB work in particular is commendable.

It would be nice to work with you, but I can understand the call to the stars perfectly well. I wish you well aboard the Cassini should your transfer be accepted and progressed.

//SIGNED//
Commander Saun Jay Brex
Chief of Operations,
Deep Space 13

1 Like