Orville discussion thread

I have episode 3 DVRed. I'll have to get to watching it soon!
Personally, I thought the first three episodes were a bit of a mixed bag, not that that's necessarily a bad thing. The first two episodes definitely had a bit of a TOS vibe to them, with the cast playing fast and loose with regulation and replacing 60's camp with more crass modern humor. The good guys were good, the bad guys were bad, and we got what was essentially "The Cage 2017" with episode two.
Spoiler: Here There Be SpoilersShow
"About A Girl", though, definitely dealt with some TNG caliber subject matter with its take on gender identity and sexism. It's a story I could easily see being handled by the likes of Picard or Sisko, with a tragic ending befitting the struggles of those dealing with similar issues in the world today. These are meaningful topics, and I'm glad someone is discussing them.

That said, I do feel like the comedy undercut the point at times. The sexual harassment bit has been covered, but from Rudolph to the pilots testimony during the trial it always seemed like the humor was keeping the full gravity of the situation in check, never letting the subject matter make you (or at least me) truly uncomfortable. Maybe this is something they will address as the show goes on, striking a better balance between the serious topics and the undeniably MacFarlane style comedy, but so far it's not quite there.

TL:DR - I like what I've seen so far, but if this show wants to run alongside a proper Trek title it needs to get a better feel for itself.

At least The Orville is on cable, though!
1 Like
Spoiler: All I have to say, Davin, is...Show
I thought the humor helps keep it light and positive in the middle of even dark or difficult subjects.

Plus the Rudolph thing, in the last shot, actually made me cry like a big baby ;_;

It got me.
2 Likes
xanthestar wrote:
Spoiler: All I have to say, Davin, is...Show
I thought the humor helps keep it light and positive in the middle of even dark or difficult subjects.

Plus the Rudolph thing, in the last shot, actually made me cry like a big baby ;_;

It got me.
Okay, yeah, that bit got me too. And I don't want to sound like I don't like what they've done so far, I just think it needs a little extra polish to really compete with Trek, and hopefully that will come with time.
2 Likes
I dunno about you guys but I never expected this show to make me feel or care like that.
2 Likes
I mean.. one of the things that is so great about the Orville is that Seth MacFarlane, hate him or love him, is a huge Star Trek fan like us. He's had the the whole main cast of Next Generation on Family guy once, and he has actually been in episodes of Enterprise I think twice. I mean, sure, we can debate about the jokes, but in all, I think that Seth has done a wonderful job so far.
4 Likes
Agreed. Whatever his other work (I'm not a fan), he absolutely loves Trek, and this is clearly a dream project for him. I have found myself first surprised, and then invested, in what he is making with The Orville, so well done him.
3 Likes
spoiler for ending verdict:
Spoiler: Show
Also, the way that turned out - where they say all the right things (sort of), and lose the case anyway - reminded me very much of the end of VOY "Distant Origin", where the Voth leader just shuts down the latest challenge to their dogma. But both there and now here, there's the hint and the hope that it might not always be so...

(see also the end of TNG "The Chase", where the Klingons and Cardassians are still bickering, but the Romulan commander calls up Picard to share a wish for "one day.")
3 Likes
wrote:
spoiler for ending verdict:
Spoiler: Show
Also, the way that turned out - where they say all the right things (sort of), and lose the case anyway - reminded me very much of the end of VOY "Distant Origin", where the Voth leader just shuts down the latest challenge to their dogma. But both there and now here, there's the hint and the hope that it might not always be so...

(see also the end of TNG "The Chase", where the Klingons and Cardassians are still bickering, but the Romulan commander calls up Picard to share a wish for "one day.")
Or The Defector
2 Likes
So I should show up Tuesday to watch it on base?
1 Like
Yes! I know it's a few days after the airing, but I'm be streaming the episodes every Tuesday at gamma+1
3 Likes
My wife and I are just catching up with the episodes aired so far and after watching ep.4 we both agreed that it was easily as hood as most real Trek episodes. Also quite funny in places!

My estimation of Macfarlane has gone up considerably because of this show. He’s done right by it.
4 Likes
In the most recent one, Captain Mercer really shines. It's great that the characters are so Trek - Mercer isn't just Seth in a costume. He's a good Captain!
3 Likes
Yes! That's the thing. We really feel like they *are* their characters, and the whole thing gels really well together. None of it feels forced. Ep. 1 was a little weak on that count, but they really hit the ground running. Here we are at episode 4 of the first season and I'm able to say, "Wow, that was really very excellent indeed." My wife said, "This is more Trek than Trek!" and I was thinking the same thing. Guess I'll have to pony up the money for an Orville science officer uniform now!

Sadly, our interest in Discovery has moved in the other direction, and each episode makes us dislike it even more. It's a pity, because we wanted to like that show, but there's just something about it that fundamentally repels us. But no worries--one awesome space show is good enough. Two would be an embarassment of riches! (and we hardly have the time to watch one anyway...)
1 Like
They stole a destroyer......
hey, they went on a mission to take photos of a book, coming back with a warship plus the book they were sent to get, I'd say their mission was a success.
2 Likes
Loved the latest episode that sent a subtle message about what we teach our children. Enjoying it infinitely more than discovery.
2 Likes
Can I just say the writing in the most recent episode was so damned good?

336455.jpg

Spoiler: Because politeShow
My noticing this really centers around Nurse Park. The way the episode started; with one of Newton's engineers getting killed, and his funeral, set the stage.

As things are going south and weird (but still believably alien Trek-weird) and Allara gets strapped to the table, Nurse Park walks in. Now, Nurse Park is a character I took a big liking to when he first showed up and iirc he's showed up in a few episodes. So when he comes in, bewildered, and it still seems to all be 'real', it was then a gutpunch to see him get shot in the back and killed.

Because they set the episode up with the expectation that characters can die. It worked. So so SO WELL. I don't know about you guys, but I was actually thinking they might have offed him to up the stakes. It wasn't until Gordon was eaten that it clicked that this clearly wasn't real. That's about the time you notice the ship is now empty, too.

The episode was just so well constructed. THAT is how you do an episode of television.

But I am SUPER HAPPY Nurse Park isn't dead. He's a sweetie.
5 Likes
Definitely love the show it really has done some things even Startrek has not, but they are all things Startrek could have. Great show
I felt the need to revive this thread, since I just gave the latest Discovery episode a pretty positive review. This week's Orville episode also tackled a 'prime directive' type story in the vein of TNG: Justice but way less stupid.

While I thoroughly enjoyed Discovery's "New Eden", I think Orville's "All the World Is Birthday Cake" was the best episode of Star Trek I've seen this year.
2 Likes