Personal Log: Thue t'Xereth

>>Audio transmission start
//Recipient: tr'Veras, Ahnar i-Rhallan

E'lev, by the time you receive this I imagine you'll be on your way back home. Things could be so much better as you've seen. Perhaps you'll be back in time to join us on our retrieval of my scientists.

The head of security on Eledri Prime refuses to speak with me on the matter, so this is all being handled with Rellir. She's being icy and distant but....at least the trade-off is going to happen. Though I do wish we could just take them back. This government doesn't deserve our acknowledgment.

However there are time for smears later. As currently stands, our research remains unmolested and my remaining people are devoting a fair amount of time to continuing it. I'm not certain I'd handle it well at all if they managed to convince their people the research was false. The Vulcans at the temple, for all obfuscating shittiness, are actually offering sanctuary to aliens on the planet after the Eledri have expelled them. They're refusing to abide by the laws the new government is setting into place.

It's all just very stupid. I've been sleeping with some of your shirts, but I'll have them laundered before you return. Your scent helps me sleep what little I've been able to since this all began. I look forward to settling in for tea on the couch, with you telling me all about your finds. Every evening, as I'm finishing up my work, I see the house blade that you had crafted for me and my heart bursts with pride that you've chosen a woman such as myself to be with.

Please be safe on your way back.
7 Likes
>>manual text input stardate 93599.6

I've been a bit lost as of late. This business with Eledri secession, my officers - it was really quite pathetic.

Ahnar returned last night. Spending the evening in conversation with him grounded me, as I expected it would. More than I expected it would, truly. My priorities are back in order and I am, I do at least hope, stable.

He wishes to come with when we retrieve my people. While no permission is strictly necessary as the trade-off is happening on Drozana which is after all an open port ... he would still be coming onboard Aensai. This is also his situation, though, as much as I might wish to keep him safe and away. He's more than capable, clearly.

Once my people are back, he has plans in the works to contact the Vulcan enclave on Eledri Prime. While the government helped us work around some of their obfuscation regarding the Romulan ruins on their land, now, the roles are reversed. The Vulcans find themselves acting as a sanctuary for non-Eledri aliens. Now that our relationship has changed so completely with the current government, we may have allies.

The government is monitoring communications, but he's confident he has ways. I trust that.

Additionally, the media is reporting Terix and Eledri Legacy officials have met. That is absurd, but it makes sense. Those Terixian bastards are always trying to convince those around them they're legitimate, and Starfleet has allowed them that. Now they're extending that to these morons.

Work in the laboratory continues. It is, currently against this government, our greatest weapon.
8 Likes
an aside

The gnawing numbness was an unfamiliar one. As the Romulan stretched across her messy bed, her blood green sheets a mess from a night of fitful sleep, she could feel the sensation settled in the hollow feeling of her chest. To the right of where the humans possessed their heart if she were to put a location to it.

She knew what this feeling was, but disliked giving it a name. Maybe for fear that it gave the thing power over her.

Thue rolled further over and wriggled her slim body under the sheets. In the refresher, the sounds of the sonic shower that was keeping Ahnar occupied distracted her ... but only for a heartbeat or two.

The feelings that used to burst from her when she considered the man didn't overwhelm her like they did months ago. Like most things in her life currently, those longings and strong emotions were now limited. Numb. Restrained. Vulcan-like. Even considering that brought the sneer to Thue's face, though that too faded quickly.

I'm not a Vulcan. The woman thought, burying her face in the pillow. Though Ahnar's sister had been holding her misguided Reuinificationist meetings lately, that wasn't it. The thought that she may come off like one of her peoples' cousins twisted her stomach into knots.

Why? was the thought that echoed through her mind. Why was she so numb? She knew, medically, what was happening to her, but why? The other times this had happened to her, it was understandable. It was necessary. The memories of times past that still haunted her, times she wouldn't share with even her soon-to-be-deyhhan. The things he didn't want to know ... when she was experimenting on her own people with the Elachi, vivisecting Remans, cloning people for nefarious purposes she did not respect ... she needed that numbness. It was necessary, it allowed her to survive.

For it to return now, for her to feel so profoundly kraep, made very little sense. Her hazel eyes clenched shut as the woman buried her face in the pillow, curling in on herself. A muffled sigh escaped her lips. She knew why.

It was the Eledri project. For months now there had been no progress. When the Eledri government had held her people and refused them access, this had started. Their regime was in full power now, despite rumors of resistance. So far, Thue and Ahnar's attempts to access the Vulcan temple and speak with the people planetside had fallen through.

For one of the first times in her life, she realized, she felt truly helpless. This wasn't an unknown feeling to the Romulan. Far from it. In the past she had been able to progress and move forward and these things seemed so much easier to cope with in retrospect, after the years of questioning and reprogramming.

Here, though? Here, she thought, here I can do nothing. After tasting a fruit as sweet as her genetics project, after collaborating with someone she was so utterly in sync with, what was there to do? She would not see a counselor. She hated that idea. However, something had to be done.

The word she despised using, this 'depression', could not rule her.
11 Likes
>>manual text input stardate 93909.6

Heavens but it's been a wild time recently.

There has been a great deal that I was concerned with. Truthfully I still am. However, there was a certain melancholy that I haven't experienced in recent memory that overtook me at recent events. What has happened with the Eledri has, in words that I do not use lightly, 'devastated' me. There is not a time I can remember being so sad.

I took quite a while to consider everything. One would suppose that the loss of my family, my world, the years under the rule I was subject to would all hurt more than seeing a species I was effectively only studying turn on us. Strangely, though, it hurt more.

I determined that this must be something I can pinpoint. Perhaps it has to do with all the work done during my years of processing and reintegration into the Republic system. Many things I feel from before are regret, and anger, but not so much sorrow. I regret the loss of people and places but the feeling is different. It may just be that the wound is fresh.

This I truly cannot determine, despite my best attempts to do so.

However the wound IS fresh and as such left me mentally hobbled for longer than I'd care to admit. Ahnar helped to pull me out of the damned bog once I took the time to share my concerns with him. He didn't fix it, per se, but he alleviated it. We will continue to analyze the action of contacting those in the Vulcan zone on Eledri Prime until we can determine we can do so without causing deaths if discovered.

After speaking further on details of our marriage, which we have been too preoccupied to really consider recently, we've settled on sometime in spring. Once he has purchased a plot for our estate and, hopefully, our work will be on more even footing. Perhaps we'll take a trip to mol'Rihan to review the potential plots.

The khre'riov still won't let me bomb Terix.
8 Likes
>>manual text input stardate 94045.7

When I was a child, I never had a hero. All my siblings seemed to have someone - some political figure, or historical person, who they drew inspiration or strength from. Me, though, no. I never did.

The thought of looking for someone to emulate never really took hold with me. I suppose that's not abnormal but in a house such as ours, so nearly dead and very much defunct, all of my siblings wanted to be someone important so they looked up to important people. All save for I and S'Tarleya.

I've begun thinking more about S'Tarleya recently. About the nieces and nephews I likely have that I've never met. I wasn't even all that old when she left the house and gave up the family name, so I never knew my sister all that well. Until recently this fact did not bother me. She was the only one besides myself who survived the loss of our home, and she only did so because she was living on some colonial world with a insignificant family's name on her.

Since I soon plan to begin my own family and continue the family name I suppose that's the reason. Reflecting back on things, it's possible she and I share more than I've realized up until this point. She, too, tired of politics. In doing so she was willing to break my parents' hopes for their firstborn and destroy what little legacy we had.

Or, I used to think that, when I thought I'd die under the Tal'Shiar. When day to day existence was uncertain. Now though I think it is possible we are very much alike.

These are the things I have had on my mind the past week. We rescued Eledri citizens and Federation reporters under very real threat of death. I dare say it may have been an 'altruistic' sort of move. More accurately one might suppose it has to do with personal honor. Ahnar and I put these people in this position, if even in a roundabout way and I see it was my duty to see this through. It does feel odd though.

I can see why Starfleet likes to play the hero. I've done it before, with Alfie, but that was personal. This is bigger. It's a thrill. Much like an intoxicant.

I must remember not to lose myself in it the concept. In the end, this is all for the Republic.
7 Likes
>>manual text input stardate 94155.1

The situation on Eledri Prime has been silent.

I have utilized that crushing failure that I feel on my shoulders to push into other projects until something further can be done. Truthfully the caracal project has been taking more time than ever from me and it's proceeding at an accelerated rate. Within the year I imagine it should be ready to submit for peer review. When I first purchased Mother from Risa on that first trip with Vorras those many years ago I'd not have imagined I would have been so successful.

However things can always go awry and I must ensure that I temper that excitement.

I've been requested to assist SFI with assets relating to genetic engineering some moronic Orion organization are using. Identification, analysis for weaknesses, that sort of deal. Naturally they're using aged Dominion technology like the plebeians I knew they would be. All the second-tier organizations do. These people seem mildly prolific with all the genetic trash they're pushing out, though. Quantity over quality. They'll have a weakness to exploit. If I'm lucky perhaps one of the modified structures associated with ceramidase will be faulty and we'll just be able make them fall apart.

I'd love to see Starfleet's faces when faced with lumpy piles of clone drowning in their own fats.

As it were though, that's going well as well. Things are quite generally going well. Ahnar continues to focus his efforts between his duty and mol'Rihan. We've found an estate we like and he's often back and forth trying to get it locked in. Ever onward. Once that is resolved, we can really focus on getting it legally bound. I think it may be very possible that I will lead a 'good' life. It's only taken fifty years.
8 Likes
>>manual text input stardate 94218.8

With Ahnar still back searching out our potential estates, I've been rather lonely as of late.

That is good, truly. I've come to the determination that while many human sayings are absolute bollocks, "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is one that I can understand. While he is gone I eagerly anticipate his return, and hopefully soon after, our joining.

Aensai was successful in using intelligence gathered by the starbase officers to search out two of that 2492 species' systems. They have a very interesting society that is very multi-species in origin - rather like the Xindi as was pointed out to me. It is for this reason I'm eager to return and observe them. Now that we know where those ships and survivors are located, my interest turns toward the nature of the many species and the potential diplomacy to be had.

My interactions with the Eledri have changed me. They still exist in a closed off, truth-denying state of oppression, but it is my hope they will eventually understand that.

Can you imagine the attention were my people allowed to be the first to study the nature and society of this 'new' society? To present it to the scientific world? It would be fascinating. It would be something I could work with Ahnar on once more. It is not for fame, of course, but of curiosity. I learned more about the societal aspects of genetic sampling and review on Eledri Prime than the College (or the damnable Tal'Shiar) could ever have taught me.

Indeed they taught me to devalue those aspects. To devalue sentients as a whole when working. It was an equation.

I do see that in some of those areas, perhaps I have been wrong.

That is not a small thing for me to admit. However as I do not have Ahnar with me, I shall have to admit it here. A useless endeavor but it does feel good to input.

...hopefully I'll get a response from the khre'riov soon. This society is igniting an interest in me I've not felt since Eledri Prime. I wish to stoke it.
8 Likes
>>manual text input stardate 94360.8
I made myself go back to that planet after I was drugged.

We had gone for a diplomatic function. Since Eledri Prime, I've been eager to prove myself in diplomatic ways - to make an impact. Expand my horizons as it were. The idea that I may be able to someday in the far future retire to the homeworld with Ahnar and eventually, our children, has become exceedingly more of a goal and less of a potential. The more value I have in a broader sense, the less likely they'll feel the need to have me on a ship.

I'd rather work in diplomacy then work constricted by Republic scientific project rules, anyway. In an alliance, 'official' projects must likely be reviewed more stringently. My projects will be my own.

But as it stands we have two people in custody. I've been working with Quint on this matter. We work quite well together, any personal bother he causes me aside. We've been letting the server stew in captivity under my suggestion for weeks now. He seemed frightened of what his government will do to him.

Tonight is potentially the interrogation. One of my specialties.

I cannot wait!
5 Likes
>>manual text input stardate 94380.7

There's another ceremony tomorrow. That awards ceremony.

I've been reviewing my awards. I've some here, that I was awarded by Nymas, back in that terrible place. These were specifically for fighting against the Tal'shiar. I understand those ones. The others, however, I'm a bit more lost on.

Certainly I know why. D'takaram is important and it deeply impresses Ahnar, as much as I've received it, so I appreciate it just for that. Sotarek, yes. I see it.

The others though. The Starfleet ones. Valor, heroism, bravery.

It seems odd to me. I haven't spoken with anyone about it, as I feel that anyone but those close to me might think I'm attempting to 'humble brag' as I've heard humans call it. These sorts of things are not things I like to think of myself as, or really can. I do my duty and I like to think I've done it well.

I display them now in my office. Ahnar suggested I should, and I suppose he's right. It may instill confidence in my abilities, my position of authority. One supposes I should view these awards, then, as not for myself and my ego. Rather they are for my crew. They instill a sort of confidence in my command.

That must be the hope, anyway.
6 Likes

It feels far longer than it has been, e'lev.

I've missed you but that's a given I do suppose. Every day I consider precisely what our goals are in order to remind myself of why you must be gone for such long swathes of time. It will be for the betterment of our name. Still, I do miss you immensely.

For the time being I've found a way to distract myself. A new genetics project! Do you know what these 'Nova Striders' are? I haven't seen your sister's name in the reports so my guess is that you have not. I certainly hadn't. They're these creatures that live in the vacuum of space in comfort, it appears to be their primary habitat.

Well because of this they're not precisely conventionally studies in a genetic sense - they don't truly have 'skin' as we know it, so it's a bit complicated. A Starfleet vessel found a pair of eggs they seem certain have been genetically modified. Can you imagine, weaponized interstellar turtles? That is what these resemble, visually at least.

I've spent days in the lab now, trying to decipher things. It's proving a titch difficult but I've no doubt my team and I will get to the information we seek ... we're perfectly capable. Still it is quite the slog. Can a slog be exciting? I'm not sure. It's both!

Perhaps I've been dour as of late because last night I was in the bar, taking a break, and multiple people commented on how happy I seemed. I don't think I've been a bitch lately (to anyone but R'lmus anyway) but perhaps I have been. I had mentioned that I was waiting for you to return, which is half true. It's an excuse, really, because I'd rather not always justify my taking pleasure in observing aliens from a distance.

I did speak to that odd Sub-Admiral, the priestess. Always I've observed her from a distance but this time she approached me. To compliment my dress, strangely enough. 'Clergy' of the old ways of our faith have always bothered me but she was nice enough. On learning of our engagement she tried to encourage me not to have the ceremony on my bridge. That she would like to manage the ceremony if we'd let her.

I told her I'd bring it to you for your opinion, Ahnar, because I'm baffled. Every year out of the Tal'Shiar's grasp new things find their way to me and confuse me. The public ceremonial option has never been something I've wanted, it seems too vulnerable and ostentatious and that simply is not me. But she seemed so excited I'm not certain I can discount her opinion, even if she is a stranger.

Enough of that I suppose. Mother's been rolling on your pillow again. Either she misses you or wants to erase your scent and I'm afraid I'm not sure which. She might be trying to depose you.

Be safe, e'lev. Come back with good news!
7 Likes
A letter to Thue, delivered posthaste.

My dearest Thue,

I am happy to announce that I am almost done with my project at the highlands Fire Temple. We've excavated the lakeside temple priests' house to the point where I can turn it back to the local university, so I'm going to be on a transport back by the end of next week. There are still two or three events that I might need to attend -- I've been invited to Senator Erhlen's house, of all things, so I'm going to talk up some of your projects, our concerns about Eledri Prime, and of course, the other things we're up to. He is a powerful man with hands in a number of interesting pools, so I'm sure something good will come of it.

On top of that, I'll have a deed with me! The land you picked out by the river -- I was able to obtain it at a price that was... well, it wasn't astronomical, but I'll be on a bit of a budget for a little while. I am enclosing photographs and tri-vid footage. It's about fifteen miles upriver from Aurelia and Jack, on the exact same river. Do you like boats? Can you imagine the trips we'll have?

I haven't heard much from Aurelia lately. I think she's in and out of some sort of undercover operation -- when she writes me, her sentence structure seems closer to her cover identity than her normal one -- so I haven't at all heard about the Nova Striders. It sounds fascinating, as all of the things you do are fascinating. And we are scientists, aren't we? A dig is always a slog, but we revel in it! In the tiny details, in the revelation of it all? It's beautiful, is it not, even when it is slow?

I must confess that I feel a little... suspicious of this priestess of yours. You were very frank with me that you wanted the ceremony on your bridge, and since I live to make you happy, that's what I was planning to do. If you'd like to change, we can talk about it, but -- well, the old ways have value, but the new ways are good, as well. We are so much happier. We can be who we are. I want you to be who you are, not who I want you to be, or who some sub-Admiral who claims to have religious authority says you should be.

If this is what you want to do, I'd have to meet her. The old ways say we should be very, very suspicious. The new ways say she just wants a tip. Either way....

Well, you can introduce me when I get back. Not long now! Pet Mother for me. I love you.

Yours always,
Ahnar
7 Likes

A senator? And an estate? E'lev, you're going to be rewarded when you get back.

This news is well needed. In your absence I have been on missions wherein I was drugged against my will, along with several other officers. While no harm came to me I was -deeply- ashamed, and still am and the Starfleet Admiral just let the person who was involved off and sent them back to their planet.

I was assaulted and so were their officers and they don't care.

As far as I'm concerned their government should sort this out but they committed a crime against a Romulan Republic officer and need to answer for it. Our allies don't seem to think their officers or ours are worth it.

I've no one to tell this to aside from you at this moment. I'm too furious to seek anyone out. Please, I am brilliantly happy at your news and I long for your return. A SENATOR. You're the best.

I don't deserve you, e'lev.

Be safe and return to me soon?
7 Likes
>>manual text input stardate 94474.1

E'lev has returned to me. Not only bringing me himself but also a deed to the plot we'd been attempting to obtain for these many months now. Finally, we can move toward setting further plans into motion. He'll continue to locate contractors and the 'dowry' will effectively be settled by he and his family in this regard.

His return however comes with some concern. I had been quite busy with the scientific project I had been asked to assist with by Captain Ailes - at first I had thought that perhaps my focus on these creatures for many days at a go had caused me to become distracted. That I had missed something.

There is nothing I can immediately place with what I have access to. My instinct tells me this is related to the Empire, to the Tal'Shiar. I've noted that Starfleet appears to be unconcerned while the khre'riov scrambles all the Rihannsu military assets to one location ... to me that screams of a distinctly Imperial problem.

Due to this, I've had to ask Ahnar to pack a bag to leave at the foot of our bed. I can't risk bringing him into potential combat with me if we're called upon suddenly.

I worry if it is the Empire. I feel that the time here has made me softer. I don't think this is the worst thing that could occur; far from it I'm certain it has made me a better Rihannsu for it. I did terrible things before I defected to the Republic and they're not things I can forget but they are things I've learned to accept. While on the front lines in the Zenas Expanse, while fighting the Tal'Shiar, I still carried a great deal many unhealed wounds regarding my actions. Not in that time did I ever have much time to examine my actions on a personal level.

That is an interesting aspect of our culture compared to those we now serve alongside. We do not really speak openly of such things. I've still not told Ahnar about the things I did under the Tal'Shiar and he has expressed disinterest in knowing. Stating now that I am a 'different' Rihannsu. Years ago I would not have believed him but I know now that I am a changed Rihannsu.

If it is the Empire I am both exhilarated and frightened at the prospect of combat once more. One of the last time my bird fought their vessels she lost a wing and I nearly lost my life, so I must be prepared.

As a note, the Senator seemed unable to do anything immediately to assist with the Eledri Prime situation from what I've been told by e'lev and that is to be expected. Someday we'll find a way to get them to listen.
7 Likes