Star Trek Discovery (SPOILERS)

I'll just leave this here…

So Jack makes a good point, that it's foolish to get worked up about a show we haven't seen yet. That said, it's not like we're totally in the dark; the job of the show's marketing is to convince us that this is a show we want to see, and speaking just for myself, it has done a very poor job of this. Good shows have been marketed badly before, so I will definitely tune in to at least the pilot episode to see what they've made for myself.

Things that I like:Things that I don't like:Things that I don't care about:

• A Star Trek show that doesn't focus on a captain
  • U.S.S. Shenzhou
  • Set design in general
  • Michelle Yeoh!
  • Jason Isaacs
  • Sonequa Martin-Green
  • Doug Jones in a rubber suit!

• A Star Trek show with a designated main character (prefer ensemble format)
  • Costume design (I heard you liked delta shields so I put delta shields in your etc)
  • Overbearing callbacks (Sarek, Mudd, tribbles, mirror universe, it feels like Star Trek eating its own tail)
  • Michelle Yeoh is not in it much

• CBS All Access
  • Bald Klingons
3 Likes
In the red column, you left out:

"CBS holding the show hostage in order to promote their **** streaming service, and probably killing it when it fails to singlehandedly make that service a resounding success, clucking about how 'people just don't like Star Trek, I guess' (while completely ignoring the piracy numbers, non-US viewers on Netflix, etc etc)"
2 Likes
In general.. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of what we've seen, Klingon redesign (They should have smooth foreheads in this era), the Kelvin like sets, the Starfleet Delta with pips, Spock having a foster sister, And in general that it's being set only a year after the events of The Cage.

Now.. that being said, with the discovery uniforms being released in the game and having the chance to play with the colors, I'm warming up to the uniform. I'm also slowly warming up to the Discovery itself, while I didn't like it when it was first shown, the slight redesigns have been enough for me to not outright dislike it. Also, I have no issues with any of the cast, many of them are great actors, I also am a fan of Anthony Rapp so Im excited to see him in this.
1 Like
wrote:
CBS holding the show hostage in order to promote their **** streaming service

I have amended my post.
3 Likes
I'm actually a huge fan of the uniforms, though I can understand why others wouldn't be. Artistically, I love all of the little details.
I'm actually a huge fan of the uniforms, though I can understand why others wouldn't be. Artistically, I love all of the little details.

I mean, I do like them... but for the era that this show takes place, it feels out of place.
2 Likes
wrote:

I mean, I do like them... but for the era that this show takes place, it feels out of place.

They make sense as a progression from the ENT uniforms, but not as a predecessor to the TOS uniforms. I do remember reading somewhere that they planned on moving them closer and closer to the TOS uniforms as time went on.
The old fan in me demands beige turtlenecks, while the realist admits that's probably not ever gonna fly on TV in the late 2010s.
1 Like
They shouldn't have been on TV in the 60's. They were so bad.
2 Likes
I'm looking forward to Sunday. I HOPE HOPE HOPE it does well. Great cast. I was put off by things like Discovery's design, some of the other design choices, and Bryan Fuller no longer being associated with the project. I'm putting that aside and plan to give it a fair shake. ::fingers crossed::
5 Likes
I'll be watching it here (thanks to Kermit), so I'm looking forward to the first showing!
3 Likes
Y'know, if I had to guess, part of the reason Orville's CG looks better is because it's probably a safe bet that Mcfarlane is pumping serious personal funds into it- kind of like how Clone Wars was able to do all sorts of crazy junk because it was basically running off of George Lucas' very sizable collection of pocket change.
1 Like
I just hope football doesn't preempt the first episode like it did to Orville, though to be fair thay was because of a lightning delay...
I know some of y'all aren't huge fans of the costume, but I do dig this closer look at the outfits.
1 Like
People disliked the uniforms in Enterprise as well when they first came out. I actually really like Discovery's new uniforms.
Enterprise could get away with having different uniforms because it was a different era (and technically a different Starfleet), and thus c9uld easily get away with explaining the difference. But with Discovery we have in universe on screen for what uniforms of the day looked like. They just don't make much sense for the snow in-universe, as aesthetically pleasing as they may be (I like the design in a vacume myself).
In Discovery's defense, we don't actually have a lot of evidence that the Cage uniforms are actually canon.

Also, they're super, super ugly.
In Discovery's defense, we don't actually have a lot of evidence that the Cage uniforms are actually canon.
The Menagerie
I'm not going to be watching DSC on it's first showing because of a wrestling pay-per-view. I'll watch the first few episodes just to see if I'm wrong and they'll be proving me wrong.

However...
Spoiler: rant...Show
I was initially very excited for Discovery. Brian Fuller wrote some of my favorite Trekisodes and Hannibal is a masterpiece. It's a reboot, a reimagining and faithful to the original source material all at the same time. If he can do that with Thomas Harris' books because he's a massive fan, than he could do it with Trek.

The moment Fuller left, I was worried. It's been said it's because of American Gods, but as he barely mentions Trek in interviews now (and he still doesn't shut up about Hannibal, which has been cancelled for years), it's hard not to take the behind-the-scenes rumors a bit more. It does seem like the might be true, and he might have been upset with the direction this show was taking creatively. His silence speaks volumes if you're a fan of his - he never stops talking about shows he loves.

To put it bluntly, the showrunners and the PR people for this show who have gone on record, as well as the actors, have destroyed any hope I might have had. I've been called racist for being concerned about the show. My concerns had nothing to do with race, but hasn't stopped people from saying it to me and people I know. I've had men I know be called sexist for not thinking they'll like the show, even though they are not.

There's been kind of a BIG push to portray it a certain way, and demean people who might disagree with this idea of a gritty, 'mature', brooding Trek that has been marketed as explicitly political. I've seen that happen with a lot of the fanbases I belong to and it ultimately causes massive rifts. The fact that it's happening in Trek is something I find tragic. It ruins the end result for me as an individual, as Trek is ultimately supposed to be positive.

So I'm actually not really onboard with the art design, the idea of a dark brooding TV MA Trek, or how the people who took over seem to want to divide their fanbase by being so outwardly hostile (i.e. hey, let's dare fans NOT to watch the show. Let's call out how the Klingons represent one entire political group and whoop, they're the bad guys).

I'm mostly worried and sad that Trek has lost it's nuance. Especially when The Orville knocks a very sensitive subject out of the park with About A Girl. It feels like, from the promotional things I've see, that instead of nuance they'll be clubbing us over the head with whatever their message becomes. I'd like to have all my concerns be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not looking to start any part of a debate, really. Unless Discovery surprises me (which I would love to have happen, don't get me wrong) my opinion on this isn't going to change.

I'm just sad with how it's all gone so far.

Edit: I say all of this, btw, as someone who went into Beyond expected to HATE it and now it's my second favorite Trek movie. They can change my mind, and it won't take even all that much. If they just had shit marketing, and I like it, I will so quickly change my mind. (I've just gotten good at sniffing out what I'm generally not going to like in advance)
2 Likes