Star Trek: Picard (Spoiler thread)

So Comic Con has set up a little exhibit for Picard that includes a few details about his life after the events of Nemesis, most notably he left command of the Enterprise E in 2381 and was promoted to Admiral, he retired in 2386 after the events of Hobus to his family's home in France to make wine.

More details can be found in here
BORG WINE
There is a lot here that really bothers me. Surprise!

Picard returning to the vineyard is... odd. It was never his calling, it was his brother’s. For him to return there to spend his twilight years tending the last embers of the family’s dying flame is... super bleak. Did he have no interest in pursuing something he’d actually find engaging, like archaeology? When Hobus exploded a year into his retirement, creating a crisis for the empire he spent so much of his career trying to build bridges with, did he really feel that his grapes were the most important thing he could be spending his time on?

Also, can we take a minute to pity poor, poor Will Riker? That guy hung around as first officer for 15 years, passing up command opportunities left and right because he wanted a shot at the Enterprise. But eventually he realizes that the old man is never gonna budge, so he takes a job as captain of the Titan. Then Picard accepts a promotion to admiral just 2 years later. Sad trombone.

What really takes the cake here though is the borg queen skull. Apparently he kept it as a gruesome trophy! That’s definitely the Jean-Luc Picard I know.
1 Like
I'm surprised he didn't take up a job in the Atlantis project if leaving Starfleet was really his desire.
wrote:
When Hobus exploded a year into his retirement, creating a crisis for the empire he spent so much of his career trying to build bridges with, did he really feel that his grapes were the most important thing he could be spending his time on?

I don’t believe Hobus occurred before Picard’s retirement, the trailer hints that something went wrong during the humanitarian mission in Romulan space lead by Picard that lead to him retiring
Update... Data, Seven of Nine, and a Borg Cube are somehow involved in the show
1 Like
Data’s gonna have to be CGI...
Trailer out now.

Data looks like they did ok with makeup... part of my thinks he might not 'really' be there but that is just my guess. No proof either way.

There are a lot of questions, a lot of interesting stuff here.... but I have to tell you all. I had a surprisingly emotional reaction to this trailer, in a good way! I am legit excited for this. I might have teared up a bit when Picard said Engage...

I am so here for this, CBS can have my money (they already did, but even so).
3 Likes
From the trailer's end, I assume that particular data is on the holodeck, looks like he's in his uniform and from Picards sentence, I take it he doesn't want to win/lose as the program will end. Just what I glimpsed at it, could be totally wrong ahaha! Look awesome, can't wait to see a little more.
Spoiler: random trailer thoughtsShow
Movie-era badge-indicates continuity over fan-service?
Captain Picard Day banner
"I have encountered a woman."
This facility has gone 5834 days without an assimilation. Written in English AND ROMULAN.
Obligatory Vasquez Rocks
Romulan borg experimentation
Tons of potential STO tie-ins
"classic" weapon sounds
TNG theme reprise :cry:
5 Likes
Spoiler: More Random Trailer thoughts!Show
We need a "It's Captain Caspius Day!" banner more than ever. Maybe every 31 July. Celebrate with a tall glass of unsweetened iced tea and a delicious slice of carrot cake!

Love the cameos from favourites, especially Jeri Ryan (who hasn't aged a day!)

Data looks good. But it seems they aren't sticking to the 'canon' comic about him which was release pre-StarTrek 2009?

I foresee Romulan-Borg stuff being incorporated in STO after this launches--and those uniforms, too, which I'm looking forward to seeing in the game. Future Argo uniform code...?
2 Likes
"Oh, I know Hamlet. And what he said with irony, I say with conviction:"
(CPD banner)
"I'm, ha, I'm a 'role model'."

"I'm sure you are."
1 Like
So, The Children of Mars establish a ‘Rogue Synth’ faction that’s attacked Mars, presumably destroying much of the Shipyard and it’s workers. The exact time frame is unclear but it’s assumed that it takes place before the Picard Countdown comic starts as Picard was somewhat shown to still be an active duty Admiral, so hopefully La Forge wasn’t killed.
(bump)
New 1 minute video
Was told to post this Tweet’s gif!
https://mobile.twitter.com/trekcore/status/1218247583820406786?s=12
https://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2020/01/18/star-trek-picard-discovery-connection-alex-kurtzman-spoilers/

This is an interesting article. It's not really spoiler based, but it involves Kurtzman addressing an issue that many have been concerned about lately on this fleet, namely the darker tone and the supposedly less than positive representation of the Federation.

The short of it is he wants to assure fans that is not an intent and the Federation is not going bad and will still be the one we remember, but times change and events affect people. He does reference that Discovery will be looking into a much different Federation of course which will be centuries later, but not necessarily directly related to events of Picard. I'd suggest checking the article for more.
3 Likes
Those by Kurtzman are interesting statements, but I'm somehow still not relieved from the fear of seeing a 'Federation-that-is-not-the-Federation", both in Picard and, most obviously, in Discovery later on (though I'm not very sure I'm gonna watch the third season, so disappointed I was with the second one). I would like to know more about Children of Mars, but apparently I cannot watch the Short Treks, cause they are only on CBS Access (which, apparently, doesn't work in Italy).
By the way, since we are dealing with Patrick Stewart, after all, I'll put my trust in him.
Jack's bad hot take is that the Federation was already well on its way towards losing its way towards the end of DS9; a show that's about restoring it to what it should be is narratively almost required.
2 Likes
The question is if there is, such a show (in other words: if Picard can be, and is conceived to be, such show).