Star Trek: Picard (Spoiler thread)

So.... spoilers for the first episode... you’ve been warned (plus it’s a spoiler thread)

First off.... it’s so good...

Second of all... it has some very interesting implications, and I can see how adding Picard to Argo canon may prove to be quite problematic... first off it seems the Utopia Fleet Yards may never have been rebuilt following the attack from the synths... then the Federation completely abandoned helping the Romulans during the supernova... and finially there appears to be a galactic ban on snythic life forms.
4 Likes
Only 16 minutes in but pretty much what Nimitz said, Starfleet pledged to help the Romulans, disaster hit Mars, Fleet yards got wiped and Mars sounds like a living hell. Starfleet decides to look inward and seemingly abandon it's pledge to help the Romulans. Rather fascinating stuff!
Spoiler: Show
Also, Lal 2.0! :-o And of course Romulans have a frigging cube!

I'm curious how Cryptic will bring in some Picard elements into the game in the coming months. I'm sure there will be a clamor for it but it may be something of a tricky line Cryptic will have to walk since Picard doesn't just throw a wrench into STO lore, it pretty much throws the whole toolbox at it.
4 Likes
Well, I'm hooked.
4 Likes
Re: the yards, Mars and withdrawal of aid for Romulus ....

Sounds like we are in our own timeline now.. maybe?
1 Like
Not necessarily... IIRC Picard is supposed to take place around 2397, the Mars attack happened before that year, , and Argo is ~22 years later. Plenty of time for things to steer back to what we know.

So, not a divergence as a detour in my opinion.
1 Like
A fair point. I was spitballing an easy answer, tbh
1 Like
Loving Picard.

SO MANY ROMULANS.
Spoiler: Super spoilerificShow
Regarding that Cube -- Krag is of the opionion that the cube isn't just any cube, but the cube involved in Wolf 359.

Regarding the source of the Synthetics that bombed Mars... I don't think Data's memory was as lost as that chick was led to believe.

And that Romulan rifle -- did anyone else think it look liked STO"s Mirror Universe stuffs? ;p

Regarding Picard's timeline and STO's -- you really need to do allllllllllll of the missions. Especially the most recent ones. I suspect (still!) that the timelines will merge.

Then we can all say, "Thanks... J'Ula."
2 Likes
Wasn't the cube from Wolf 359 destroyed? I mean, RSE most likely had their own conflicts with Borg as they are practically on the direct line from Borg space towards UFP territories.

Generally, I'm positively apprehensive regarding the show. Hope we don't end up with another uninspiring antagonist like the Control.
Okay so...
Spoiler: Me at the end: I don't want the episode to end...Show
Cons:

Well it's not trek. For me, "true Trek" takes place around a setting (Enterprise, Voyager, DS9, etc), and it tells the stories, discoveries, explorations of the characters around that setting. This... isn't that.

Right, now, the pros:

Let's deal with that con for a moment; I'm not angry or annoyed about it. I love it. Something that really struck me was that it was exploring this amazing world that Roddenberry created outside of "true Trek". And I love it. I love the settings, I love the technology and how it's displayed. I love all of it. There is a qualm that (story aside, it felt pretty lore heavy), it can be seen to be just another sci-fi series, from the visuals alone. But Star Trek is sci-fi, and so having these amazing visuals is fantastic. We see a lot more of the Federation, and it was something I felt was missing from "true trek".

Oh Picard, you have been missed. Sir Pat just gets better with age. Fantastic (although you wonder how much is him acting old, and how much is real - running up those stairs looked like it was tiring).

Those baddies shoot as accurately as storm troopers (not sure why that's a pro, but hey ho)

An archive room for Picard. Can Sam have one?

And to end... on the above note... that painting, was it transported to the location when Picard called it up, or was it replicated? If it was replicated, can we call that an original piece? The archaeologist in me is now debating Federation morals and ethics when it comes to archives and museum displays.

Right, I think I got everything. Probably didn't.

TL;DR - It's good. Next Friday awaits!
2 Likes
Unfortunately.. I think La Forge is likely dead now....

Secondly, having watched the pilot twice now... Romulans have acid blood now?
1 Like
wrote:
Unfortunately.. I think La Forge is likely dead now....

Secondly, having watched the pilot twice now... Romulans have acid blood now?

I don't see any evidence for anything about Geordi yet. I'd say if they wanted to bring him in, they could (but Levar isn't in this season I think)

Also I think it was some sort of suicide pill, but instead of cyanide some chemical reaction thing. That was my first thought.

Also, on an earlier note, yeah the Borg cube from Wolf 359 exploded after Data put it to sleep. There are likely thousands of Borg cubes in the Galaxy though, no reason to be assuming it's any special one.
3 Likes
To reassure those of you who are afraid Picard will make changes for Argo:

Or perhaps, not so reassuringly.

Argo has always taken into account canon when dealing with storylines, although changes that have been made in the past are generally in regards to new STO content and less new Star Trek content. We are still hashing out precisely what is classified or not and how classified it might be with regards to Discovery and how it might impact an officer's day-to-day. Overall, that will likely be much less impactful than Picard, due to storylines. (I'm trying not to cross spoiler here).

Don't expect any major changes to our timeline until the entire first season of Picard is out. That gives staff a chance to absorb the new material and figure out how to adjust our fleet canon appropriately, and in addition, it may be necessary to run plotlines to give you guys a reasonable reason why things change rather than just retconning heaps of experiences.

If anything is reassuring, let it be this: This is something staff is aware of as a possibility for change and we promise to handle it as well as possible. We know that canon is important, and that change is disruptive, so a balance must be found!

But dang, that episode had me mad I couldn't just see what happened next and I have to wait.
7 Likes
So! Having watched the episode ("Remembrance"), I have thoughts...
Spoiler: Obligatory Spoiler Warning, Beware Mortals, etc.Show

• It was very, very good! Performances, writing, the direction, the sets. Top shelf all the way.
  • Picard's compassion is going to be the moral rock on which this series rests. It's a kind of heroism that doesn't need derring-do, but does need a lot of courage, especially given the subject and the climate.
  • We finally see the Daystrom Institute, and it looks gorgeous. The almost-empty synth research division was heartbreaking, and yet another indicator of how the Federation has turned inward. Yet, there are still some people there continuing the work... keeping the faith, as it were.
  • The interview segment was gut-wrenching. Pretty sure that reporter wanted to skewer Picard on live vid.
  • When I heard people saying how Mars was now 'hellish', I didn't think they meant it literally. That's a tough continuity hurdle for Argo, I suspect.
  • I confess I'm a little confused about the Romulan Reclamation site. Yes, it's a Borg cube, and yes it looks like the Romulans are in charge, but they're employing human scientists?
  • Picard's two helpers are magnificent! It's clear they care deeply for him. I hope that, with whatever adventure Picard goes on going forward, they'll come along with him.
  • RIP Daj. We hardly knew you.
  • I want the soundtrack.
  • Is it next Thursday yet?
7 Likes
wrote:
I don't see any evidence for anything about Geordi yet.

In the Picard Countdown comic, Geordi was in charge of the Utopia Planitia fleet yards
1 Like
Also: re changes to the Argo timeline if and when they happen. I can say, at least from the perspective of my characters, that I don't anticipate much in the way of changes (Alyx's childhood might have some different aspects to it). Honestly the biggest change would be where the Shackleton was built - and a resulting change to the dedication plaque, but I'm okay with that.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next, in Picard, and in Argo!
2 Likes
wrote:
wrote:
I don't see any evidence for anything about Geordi yet.

In the Picard Countdown comic, Geordi was in charge of the Utopia Planitia fleet yards

Yeah but it's not like he was glued to it, or still working there... point is until they say it outright, I think he could easily be alive.
1 Like
I doubt the Federation would ignore the strategic advantages of having Utopia Planitia around. They built it there for a reason, so it makes sense they would rebuild it.
Omg I really loved it. I'm sad the first android died (I'm not convinced she is. I bet you if Picard was the only one found like the police said, she was captured by the Romulans and may yet live). I love how that reporter went where she shouldn't and got skewered by Picard for her trouble. Truly shoddy journalism there and she got what she deserved. The Rumulans trying to reclaim Borg tech. This isn't going to go well. Can I also say I love the Picard and Data bits? They're so fitting to see. It makes sense Data's death still haunts Picard 20 years later.
1 Like
wrote:
I bet you if Picard was the only one found like the police said, she was captured by the Romulans and may yet live.

Im not convinced that the first Android survived.. between the acid blood spit and being vaporized by the exploding plasma rifle... that said, I would be totally fine with being proven wrong
1 Like
wrote:
wrote:
I bet you if Picard was the only one found like the police said, she was captured by the Romulans and may yet live.

Im not convinced that the first Android survived.. between the acid blood spit and being vaporized by the exploding plasma rifle... that said, I would be totally fine with being proven wrong
Unless there's a massive cover up on the lart of someone like Section 31 or the Romulans managed a clean up (which in both those cases, why leave Picard as a loose end?) Then why didn't the cops find her too? Maybe what happened is she survived, the Romulans grabbed her, and couldn't silence Picard before they would have been caught so were forced to leave him behind. Just a theory I know but I think it fits.