Star Trek: Picard (Spoiler thread)

So, it was suggested that something of Data's positronic brain or cells (I think?) survived. And that This guy was working on creating a new synthetic being, a clone.. While highly unlikely, I wonder if they'll find a way to bring back a part of Lore. We know he was deactivated and disassembled but we don't know if he was later destroyed. What if he's survived (in pieces) all this time?
1 Like
I can agree about the Cube -- I had forgotten that Data put it to sleep and it went kablooey. I'll throw that at Krag when he resurfaces from painting miniatures.

The Mars Ship yards -- @Sadia help me out with this one: I recall a mission on the KDF side where we raided ship yards, and I thought it was the Utopia Planitia ones at Mars. I have no idea if the mission survived the KDF reboot.
If it still exists, it makes me wonder if it will go away now or be altered like the Federation Romulan Missions were. (Anyone remember the raid on Rator Three pre-Romulan Expansion?)

I agree with Dex re:Romulan blood. The blood itself isn't acid but if the dude had something that corosive hidden in his mouth somewhere, and he opened up the container, its going to do as much damage to the non-protected parts of him as it does to his target -- which would cause his spit to be full of blood.

Cannot wait for the next Picard!
2 Likes
The Mars Ship yards -- @Sadia help me out with this one: I recall a mission on the KDF side where we raided ship yards, and I thought it was the Utopia Planitia ones at Mars. I have no idea if the mission survived the KDF reboot.
If it still exists, it makes me wonder if it will go away now or be altered like the Federation Romulan Missions were. (Anyone remember the raid on Rator Three pre-Romulan Expansion?)

Yeah mission to raid shipyards is still there, though there's no planet part, all the stuff is in space. And it's very easy to change the location in conversation to some other planet in Sol system, like Jupiter.
Also, since that stuff happens in 2409 it is quite possible that the Mars shipyard were rebuilt in the mean time and Mars surface stabilized or whatever.
Bigger problem to the continuity of STO storyline would be the Klingon expansion into Romulan space. With Federation turning inwards and scrapping aid to Romulans (and thus most likely not deploying the forces along Klingon-Romulan border as it was done in STO lore), Klingons would have free rein to conquer a lot of Romulan space bit by bit. However since there's no mention of Klingon Empire yet, what happened there remains to be seen.
1 Like
@Sadia: Yeah there's continuity with the Romulans and Vulcans and Hobus itself already whacked. In the path to 2409, the Vulcans' refusal to aid the Romulans made the Federation not as helpful, then it was revealed that the Vulcans knew what red matter was and that they completely understood what was going on with Hobus, which caused at least one Federation world to break away.

Also, @Dex -- I just rewatched Children of Mars and I'm pretty sure I saw a glimpse of a very beat up Geordi. It leaves it open whether or not he survived and got away. If anyone is quick with the pause button, I'd love them to double-check that.
I'm pretty sure I saw a glimpse of a very beat up Geordi. It leaves it open whether or not he survived and got away. If anyone is quick with the pause button, I'd love them to double-check that.

During Children of Mars, the death troll was reported as 3,000 at first, but by the interview ten years later, it sounds like the finial count was almost 100,000. But yeah, if he survives, I'll be more then happy to see him again.
Oh, I missed this during my watching of the episode, but I saw on Twitter that one of the buildings during the opening shot over Boston had Kasidy Yates' name on it, as an advertisement. Sounds like her shipping company is doing well.
2 Likes
I mean I've survived a lot of nasty high casualty events by not being present too... heh. Just saying it's an option. I somehow doubt he appears in the short since Levar wouldn't have hidden that fact thus far probably. Someone would have said something by now.

As far as timeline differences, there is another major one... Data. In STO's timeline based on Countdown, B4 becomes Data cause the memory download works and he becomes Captain of the Enterprise. In episode 1 of Picard we're told that memory transfer ultimately failed and see B4 in storage. Brent Spiner even confirmed he only did the role on the condition that Data's death in Nemesis not be undone. It's a big difference.
2 Likes
I tried to organize my thoughts on Picard, but it just ended up turning into Davin and Lir playing MST3K in my head.
Spoiler: In The Not-Too-Distant Future...Show
Lir: "Aww… Blue skies, smiling at me..."
Davin: "...Are you... cry-"
Lir: "NO SHUTUP YOU ARE!"
Davin: "He just…"
Lir: "That one was speaking Rihan!"
Davin: "Are we the bad guys in this show?"
Lir: "Maaaybe it's the Tal Shiar?"
Davin: "Better be the fvadt Tal Shiar…"
Lir: "Was that… Did he spit acid? Can we do that?"
Davin: "No."
Lir: "Then how did he do that?"
Davin: "I'm sure they'll get to that if you keep watching."
Lir: "Oh, so she's like Lal! Or was like Lal, I guess."
Davin: "What's a Lal?"
Lir: "The first daughter that Data tried to create. You really need to read the reports from Picard's Enterprise."
Davin: "No one told me there would be required reading."
Lir: "Bruce Maddox? Figures he'd be in charge of Daystrom's synthetic division."
Davin: "Who…?"
Lir: "Oh! Dr. Bruce Maddox, he was a famous cyberneticist. I mean he was no Noonien Soong, but-"
Davin: "Lir."
Lir: "Right. Well. He tried to sue for the right to disassemble Lieutenant Commander Data, the android, on the grounds that he wasn't legally a person. You know you really should read the-"
Davin: "I will not."
Lir: "Fine, sheesh. Buzzkill… Bet he's working with the Tal Shiar."
Davin: "Or kidnapped."
Lir: "Or he's been kidnapped by the Tal Shiar."
11 Likes
::drops this off here::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t55gOxwVw0Y
Region locked, alas. And CTV Sci-Fi doesn't have the aftershow (yet).
And it has no subtitles... not even on CBS AA...
wrote:
And it has no subtitles... not even on CBS AA...
..Wait, it totally does for me. That's weird.
I watched that right after watching Picard on Thursday. I love that Will Wheaton hosts it. :)

It really identifies the timeline changes between Picard and Cryptic's Path to 2409. (You know the Daily Starfleet Academy Missions you get in the Sol System? I've put a bunch out Here. )

I'm looking forward to seeing how Cryptic gets STO to match up.
I loved the episode, but I'm still confused by the phrase "flesh and blood android." Anyone have any ideas?
Savesh wrote:
I loved the episode, but I'm still confused by the phrase "flesh and blood android." Anyone have any ideas?

Did you ever see The 2003 Battlestar Galactica?
1 Like
Yeah, but that didn't make any sense to me either. Were they cyborgs? What does android, synthetic, and bionoid mean anymore? Are they talking about a mechanical being like Data's mother, who thinks and is designed to fool sensors into thinking she's human? Is Dajh like an augment? At what point are they not 'synths' anymore, but organic beings?
A synthetically created, fully organic being is still synthetic.

That being said, it's implied that, while her body is engineered tissue, her brain is still positronic, which makes her.. a reverse cyborg, I guess?
The synthetic biology part was easy for me to get, what I want sure about is how it came from Data's neutral net. I guess it would have to be a positronic brain inside her lab grown meat shell (technical terms). I'm sure we'll get more details, especially if Maddox shows up later.
I interpreted that as what some people have said (not sure if it's true) about holographs - break off a piece and it still has all the information of the whole, but at reduced resolution. So... if one or two positronic neurons were recovered, they might have at least the base source code?
Thank you all for the feedback, but I'm still confused. Is a clone of a humanoid a synth then, since it was artificially copied? I guess what I'm asking is, how do you go from technology to biology, to loosely play on Deanna Troi's words from the episode "The Offspring"? What's the difference then between a synth and a humanoid created from the union of their parents' DNA?

EDIT: Also, to expand off of what Dex said, if Dajh was indeed a 'meat shell', how the hell did she make that AMAZING leap in Earth's gravity?