26th Fleet - Starbase 381

Praetorian Science Department
"Ex Astris, Scientia; Ex Scientia, Veritas"

From the desk of the Chief Science Officer

Stardate 94359.8

To: Fleet Captain Neema Perim
Subject: A Small Request

Neema,

First, I'll get the official stuff out of the way. We're investigating an anomaly here in the Outback which basically boils down to a massive amount of dark matter collapsing in on itself, thus weakening the fabric of space-time. We're calling it a Dark Matter Sinkhole. I was hoping that you'd be willing to dispatch a ship to the system Bepi-113 to run some scans. During my tenure with DTI we had several accounts of the weakening of temporal barriers in that area and I'd like to get a current base-line and compare that with what we're seeing here. You'll probably need to present credentials, but just tell them it's 'Echo-5-Alpha' and they should at least let you run scans.

Second, I know we haven't spoken in years, but I wanted to congratulate you on all of your success. Being so far removed here in the Outback, I don't get to keep as up-to-date as I'd like to, but from what I've heard you've made quite a name for yourself. Aunt Kell says she's been hoping to visit you soon - I was fortunate enough to spend a few days with her last time I was in the quadrant. She also said that it wouldn't kill you to contact her more often, but that's none of my business.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you're doing well, and I'd greatly appreciate any findings you could get from that system. I still have access to the old files, but something more recent would be helpful. And, if you happen to 'lose' a shipment of Aldebaran whiskey to the Outback... well I've always been partial to it, and you guys are the closest base.

Your cousin,
Juzel "Zelly" Rix, Chief Science Officer
Starbase 381 - Praetorian
8 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 92754.9

zpglS1t.png
TO CMDR Rix
FROM CAPT Perim

SUBJ RE: A Small Request
4OB3P0J.png

Commander Zelly. Who'd have guessed? Clearly I'm not the only one who's seen some success. I think it was Lieutenant, last we spoke, so congratulations yourself! Maybe I'll see if the next transport headed out your way can be convinced to take on a little extra cargo.

I've heard of Bepi 113, but only in broad strokes. It shouldn't be too difficult to get a ship headed out that direction in relatively short order. I'll speak with our local DTI Agent and see if we can get cleared to go take some scans. In the meantime, if you send over the specifics of the data you need, I'll forward it along to our science team before they head out.

It's good to hear from you, Juzel. Some pretty out-there stories reach my ear from your neck of the woods, from time to time. Stay safe, okay?

..mom wins this round. I'll call her when I finish up for the day.

//SIGNED//
Fleet Captain Neema Perim
Commanding, Deep Space 13
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 92800.5

zpglS1t.png
TO CMDR Rix
FROM RDML Perim

SUBJ Scan Results
4OB3P0J.png

Juzel,

Sent a mission out to Bepi 113 as you requested. I've attached the full science report from the U.S.S. Baldur. Weakened temporal barriers were noted, but levels were within the expected limits based on prior reports from the system. Hopefully we've included enough baseline readings for your comparison.

The SS Miveti should be passing through 381 sometime next week. The Captain owed me a favor, so keep an eye out; there'll be a small container for you to sign for. Enjoy! You'll also be happy to know that I've been successfully guilt-tripped into arranging a visit with my parents, in a few weeks. I don't know if you're getting much leave time these days, but you know you're always welcome to stop by.

//SIGNED//
Rear Admiral Neema Perim
Executive Officer, 38th Fleet

//ATTACHMENT// 38th\121368\Sci\Bepi_113.rpt
3 Likes
xUR6yji.png

Praetorian Science Department
"Ex Astris, Scientia; Ex Scientia, Veritas"

From the desk of the Chief Science Officer

Stardate 94577.1

To: CAPT N. Perim
Subject: RE: Scan Results

Neema,

I want to apologize for all of the comm-silence lately. As soon as I got those scans you'd attached I barricaded myself in the labs to try to figure out what was going on. Now that the mission is over I can at least tell you what we were doing. You can find the operational file for the mission briefing under "Operation: Tempest". I'll admit, you almost lost a cousin - a console on the bridge of the ship I was commanding decided to explode and impale me through the torso. It even hit the symbiont. Luckily we had backup that got the ship back to the starbase quickly enough.

On a more light hearted note, I'll be headed back to the Milky Way soon. I'm finally using some of my shore leave, so I figured I'd stop by DS-13 and say hi. If you're around on Stardate 94599.1, December 29th on the Earth calendar, I'd love to grab a drink and catch up a bit. Apparently several other officers are planning to head that way so I figured I would tag along. I'll be sure to bring a few selections of the local food and drink here in the Outback for you to try.

I hope you're doing well. We managed to download a stable version of the annual Terran Winter Celebration from the Federation Network. We've been running it non-stop in a few of our holodecks here on 381. Crew morale seems to be improving, but I did have to remind a few scientists that the sweaters they replicated were not flame-retardant.

Warm wishes, and I hope to see you soon.

Commander Juzel Rix, CSO
Starbase 381 - Praetorian
3 Likes